PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Expected to hand down sanctions against USC...

OU_Sooners75
5/11/2010, 05:51 PM
sometime this week...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/05/ncaa-decision-on-southen-cal-penalties-for-reggie-bush-affair-expected-this-week/1

After a long wait, the NCAA's decision on penalties for Southern California are expected to be delivered soon.

According to Yahoo! Sports writer Dan Wetzel, the report will be released this week. The NCAA concluded that USC running back Reggie Bush received illegal benefits during his three-year career with the Trojans.

The school already has self-imposed sanctions on the men's basketball program for money that was alleged paid to an adviser of O.J. Mayo.

One person thinking there could be severe penalties for the Bush affair is Chris Dufresne of the Los Angeles Times. On his Twitter account, he made a prediction of five years probation, a bowl ban and a loss of 21 scholarships.

USC went before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in late February. Since then, Bush settled a lawsuit with a man that claimed he gave $300,000 in cash and gifts to the Heisman Trophy winner.

It is possible that Bush could be ruled ineligible and be forced to return the Heisman. The school could be forced to forfeit its national championships from 2003 and 2004.

Didnt see this posted anywhere.

cdlbdd
5/11/2010, 06:11 PM
sometime this week...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/05/ncaa-decision-on-southen-cal-penalties-for-reggie-bush-affair-expected-this-week/1

Ha!

JLEW1818
5/11/2010, 06:37 PM
is death penalty an option ?

MeMyself&Me
5/11/2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think the NCAA will ever do the death penalty again. However, Dufresne's prediction is pretty damn harsh by these days standards I think.

Jacie
5/11/2010, 07:16 PM
It is possible that Bush could be ruled ineligible and be forced to return the Heisman.

Doubtful

The school could be forced to forfeit its national championships from 2003 and 2004.

Forfeit them (or it) to who? Does the AP want theirs back? Ditto the BCS . . .

Aries
5/11/2010, 07:22 PM
Sort of been expecting some kind of penalty once Pete Carroll resigned.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2010, 07:46 PM
I was a young man when this all started.

Scott D
5/11/2010, 08:42 PM
So far what I've generally heard is

2 year bowl ban
5 scholarships per year for 4 years
(potentially) vacating wins from 2005 (perhaps 2004 as well)
and the 5 years probation

50/50 on whether they'll throw the "lack of institutional control" icing on the cake.

PLaw
5/11/2010, 09:21 PM
sometime this week...

Couldn't happen to nicer bunch of guys. I only wish that the sanctions, whatever they are, could affect Petey. Maybe if he ever came back to college ball, then his program would have limited ships for a couple of years or just flat out gets fined.

BOOMER

Stitch Face
5/11/2010, 10:07 PM
Crippling sanctions.

Make sure they don't get anymore weapons.

Collier11
5/11/2010, 10:20 PM
anything close to what is being talked about in this thread would be a big deal

Eielson
5/11/2010, 10:28 PM
In a capitalist world, you can't really give a program like USC the death penalty. It's not about the NCAA being USC-lovers, it's about them being money/success-lovers. All of college football would take a huge hit if the did something so harsh to such a big program. However, I do think that the 2-year bowl ban along with a few lost scholarships and vacated wins would work well.

PDXsooner
5/11/2010, 10:32 PM
If so, we should claim the 2004 title just on principle. Yes, it would be a bitch move, but it would be retaliation for USC claiming the 1939 title just 5 years ago!!!

ouwasp
5/11/2010, 11:25 PM
imo forfeiting already played games is an empty penalty; we all know who really won.

Bowl and/or TV bans... now that hurts.
Meaningful scholly cuts are good too.

But I hope for a TV/Bowl ban for the pieces of ****

CrimsonCommando
5/11/2010, 11:54 PM
Whatever they get, it will not be severe enough for bulk of football fans that knew they was cheating all along in football. I belive there is probably a small segment of our fan base that would want to see SUC lose schollys, wins, bowl appearances, the AD, president, and have Will Ferrel flogged.

MamaMia
5/12/2010, 12:57 AM
I often wonder how well Reggie Bush would have played if he would of had some financial issues to contend with? At any rate, he does not deserve a vote.

goingoneight
5/12/2010, 01:13 AM
Vince Young: 2005 Heisman Trophy Winner!*

*sort of

IBleedCrimson
5/12/2010, 01:40 AM
who would get the 2004 title if usc is forced to forfeit?

WA. Sooner
5/12/2010, 02:19 AM
Just leave it vacant for that year or give to auburn
I don't want OU to claim it

WA. Sooner
5/12/2010, 02:28 AM
Just leave it vacant for that year or give to auburn
I don't want OU to claim it

GKeeper316
5/12/2010, 04:00 AM
Couldn't happen to nicer bunch of guys. I only wish that the sanctions, whatever they are, could affect Petey. Maybe if he ever came back to college ball, then his program would have limited ships for a couple of years or just flat out gets fined.

BOOMER

ya you could blame pete, and as head coach, hes the one thats ultimately responsible, but lane kiffin was the guy that recruited all those guys, so its just as sweet that hes the head coach now.

AlbqSooner
5/12/2010, 06:09 AM
I predict Pete will do the Lou Holtz thing. Never have his team on probation, but have a few that he just left get sanctioned.

Jacie
5/12/2010, 06:14 AM
Burn em.

CincySooner
5/12/2010, 08:10 AM
imo forfeiting already played games is an empty penalty; we all know who really won.

Bowl and/or TV bans... now that hurts.
Meaningful scholly cuts are good too.

But I hope for a TV/Bowl ban for the pieces of ****

You said it. Vacating wins is a very empty penalty. If the ruling on OU's 2005 wins stuck, we'd still be sore about it, but any lasting impact on the program would have evaporated by now.

The NCAA must be pretty worked up over this if the rumors are a post-season ban and scholarship limitations. Those are two things that can cripple a program for years. For once, a penalty might actually have some teeth on it.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/12/2010, 08:58 AM
I seriously doubt USC will get any major punishment.

BillyBall
5/12/2010, 09:05 AM
who would get the 2004 title if usc is forced to forfeit?

Alabama already claimed it.

starrca23
5/12/2010, 09:07 AM
I seriously doubt USC will get any major punishment.

Agreed. I'll believe it when i see it.
As for the Heisman thing, I believe the NYC Athletic Club operates outside of the NCAA. They would have to make a decision to strip Reggie.

stoopified
5/12/2010, 09:22 AM
I'll believe it when (and IF) it actually happens.

MamaMia
5/12/2010, 09:23 AM
Let Alabama have it.

badger
5/12/2010, 09:28 AM
The NCAA can't force Reggie to give up his Heisman. Only the Heisman issuers can do that... and that ain't the NCAA.

TV ban? On the contrary, I would love to watch them suck like they did against Washington, Oregon et al this past year. If they're banned from TV, can they at least continue showing the highlights of their blowout losses?

Bowl ban? Well, looks like they'll just invite a team with a .500 or losing record instead :rolleyes:

Scholarship removal? Oh dear, looks like those 5-star recruits will just have to find another home than Compton :P

And finally... national championship removal. Please - all the players already have their rings, the school already made money off of the t-shirts and memorabilia and those game appearances. The only thing they'd be returning at this point would be whatever they're still displaying - a few rusty numbers hanging around the stadium, and a crystal football.

And if Texas mass-produces crystal footballs after the fact...

Link (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/tex-m-footbl-body.html) (Hey Mack - where did those other 3 crystal footballs come from?)

Then it really isn't that much to give up if anyone can get them, whether they were issued after a championship game or not.

ouleaf
5/12/2010, 12:45 PM
he made a prediction of five years probation, a bowl ban and a loss of 21 scholarships.

good luck with that, Laney.

KantoSooner
5/12/2010, 01:29 PM
I think Badger's right: the Heisman is not the NCAA's to take or give.

Doged
5/12/2010, 01:57 PM

This is true, but per their own rules the winner must be an NCAA eligible student athlete so there'd at least be a discussion if it's finally agreed that Reggie was playing for pay (as is generally agreed to be the case).

badger
5/12/2010, 01:58 PM

On that same line... considering that the NCAA does not officially recognize football championships in Division 1, can the NCAA take away championships issued by the Associated Press or Bowl Championships Series?

The NCAA could definitely take away a game victory. They did (and retracted later) from us for the 2005 season. However, can they take away trophies and championships that they don't even recognize or issue?

Leroy Lizard
5/12/2010, 02:08 PM
On that same line... considering that the NCAA does not officially recognize football championships in Division 1, can the NCAA take away championships issued by the Associated Press or Bowl Championships Series?

The NCAA could definitely take away a game victory. They did (and retracted later) from us for the 2005 season. However, can they take away trophies and championships that they don't even recognize or issue?

No. The BCS would have to convene on that one.

Unless Congress... oh, no!

goingoneight
5/12/2010, 04:45 PM
Their new coach is Lane Kiffin... isn't that punishment enough?

Scott D
5/12/2010, 07:24 PM

right, but the Downtown Athletic Club can strip Bush of his Heisman on the grounds of Bush being an ineligible player that season (which the NCAA ruling would be the basis for).

Scott D
5/12/2010, 07:26 PM
ya you could blame pete, and as head coach, hes the one thats ultimately responsible, but lane kiffin was the guy that recruited all those guys, so its just as sweet that hes the head coach now.

Orgeron is fairly responsible as well.

The icing on the cake at this point would be if you could tie Brian Cushing's PED usage in the NFL to potential PED usage while at USC and you could open another can of worms.

Osagecrimson
5/12/2010, 07:33 PM
I heard the ncaa was going to make them put an ugly redhead on the cheerleading squad.

FroggyStyle22
5/12/2010, 07:42 PM
Orgeron is fairly responsible as well.

The icing on the cake at this point would be if you could tie Brian Cushing's PED usage in the NFL to potential PED usage while at USC and you could open another can of worms.

From what I hear that one goes back to high school

Harry Beanbag
5/12/2010, 11:16 PM

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BRIANCUSHING7_301200.JPG http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/BRIANCUSHING7_30200.JPG

Seems plausible.

Eielson
5/12/2010, 11:20 PM
http://fourthandfifty.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/cushingnow1.jpg

This is the picture that raised the most suspicion. I believe it's from his freshman year.

Almost ever player in the NFL is using PED's, though.

Eielson
5/12/2010, 11:33 PM

He's a genetic freak (not that any NFL players aren't), and he started working with one of the best trainers in the country while in high school (the photo posted is him training with that guy). His great work ethic has been well-documented, and when you combine those three things, you're always going to be accused of steroid use.

Also, it should be noted that he tested positive for PED use, not steroids. PED tests can include things such as cough medicine (thought I doubt he would make that mistake). There is a big difference.

Collier11
5/12/2010, 11:38 PM
PED is such a generic term, I hate that sh*t. Not going at you Eilson, just saying.

OUTrumpet
5/13/2010, 06:05 AM
Also, it should be noted that he tested positive for PED use, not steroids. PED tests can include things such as cough medicine (thought I doubt he would make that mistake). There is a big difference.

They were saying yesterday on Mike and Mike that it was the PED that is supposed to mask steroids or HGH for when you are coming off a cycle.

MeMyself&Me
5/13/2010, 06:21 AM

They can't really 'take away' a trophy or make another organization take it away but they can force a college to remove a trophy from display and not recognize championships in their program literature or on banners and signs and such. That's how I understand how stripping a title works.

lexsooner
5/13/2010, 07:45 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/12/1469711/usc-ncaa-violations-sanctions-report-delayed-praying-for-death

This sports site indicates the release of the NCAA report on USC is delayed until "later this month." No sources were cited. In other news stories, Pete Carroll stated he would be surprised if USC received any penalties. The sheer smugness of Carroll and Bush is irritating. Bush was on the take for more money than any other college athlete in history, and Carroll thinks there will be no penalty. Where does he get off saying this?

Eielson
5/14/2010, 12:13 AM
They were saying yesterday on Mike and Mike that it was the PED that is supposed to mask steroids or HGH for when you are coming off a cycle.

I'm seeing that it's hCg. I don't think it masks steroids, but it's commonly used as a post-cycle to keep your testicles the right size and continue testosterone production. There are only two ways to have failed that test. One is obviously that it was injected, and the other is that he had tumors. He claims he had tumors, and similar stories have happened. However, his story just doesn't seem to add up to me, and he already looked guilty before he even failed the test.

Collier11
5/14/2010, 12:19 AM
its also used as a masking agent, same thing Manny used

rawlingsHOH
5/14/2010, 12:24 AM
He's a genetic freak (not that any NFL players aren't), and he started working with one of the best trainers in the country while in high school (the photo posted is him training with that guy). His great work ethic has been well-documented, and when you combine those three things, you're always going to be accused of steroid use.

New Jersey, Jim Burt Jr. another huge roid guy, knew him from the diamond. Wouldnt doubt it for a second if Cush was too.

VA Sooner
5/14/2010, 07:47 PM
The fact that the report took this long to investigate and complete... doubt that USC suffers much.

Collier11
5/14/2010, 07:49 PM
well it took this long do to the lack of cooperation, u$c will get hit with something, not sure how much though

badger
5/14/2010, 08:10 PM
This sports site indicates the release of the NCAA report on USC is delayed until "later this month."
http://fightingintheshade.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/christmas_is_canceled_card-p137186110934658711tdtq_400.jpg

Eielson
5/14/2010, 09:02 PM
its also used as a masking agent, same thing Manny used

I don't think it is, but if it is, that wasn't what it was used for. With the whole Manny deal, it would've been obvious that even if it covered up steroids, the hCg would show up on the test. Something like hCg is necessary after a steroid cycle so that you don't jack up your body's natural production of testosterone.

soonerloyal
5/15/2010, 08:14 PM
I heard the ncaa was going to make them put an ugly redhead on the cheerleading squad.

Hey-hey-hey...watch it, noob. We old redhead broads'll rip you a new one.

*grumbling* Damn smartmouthed young'uns. :rolleyes:

Collier11
5/15/2010, 08:19 PM
Red heads are good for two things that I can think of, one of them involves being bat-**** crazy. Ill leave the other one to your imagination :D

OU_Sooners75
5/15/2010, 08:37 PM
Agreed. I'll believe it when i see it.
As for the Heisman thing, I believe the NYC Athletic Club operates outside of the NCAA. They would have to make a decision to strip Reggie.

Actually, they may not be ran by the NCAA, but they are tied to the NCAA. They (NYCAC) have a rule. It is: to be eligible to win the trophy you must be eligible by the NCAA standards.

Meaning if they (the NCAA) rules Bush was ineligible, then the NYC Athletic Club will remove his Heisman.

Now what they will do with it after is yet to be known. They may just state that there is no winner that year. Or they may do what I think is right and give it to Vince Young.

Compare it to the OIC. If an Olympic Athlete is deemed ineligible for whatever reason, the athlete that placed right behind ineligible athlete is granted the spot instead.

I think that should be the way the Bowl Games that are effected should be handled too.

Yeah, OU got a beat down of a life time against USC. But what would have happened if USC did not have Bush as a weapon? Maybe it would have been a lot closer?

At the same time I do not believe in hurting the entire team...but Dwayne Jarrett received free room and board courtesy of Matt Lienart's father. And nothing was done.

Carroll, allowed agents into his practices. He took recruits to a former player's restaurant so they could speak to him. Boosters had unlimited access to the players.

So in this case, the lack of institutional control should be in affect and USC should be set back 10+ years on their program....Alabama or Oklahoma style punishment is order!!!!