Oct. 9 OPEN DATE
Oct. 16 Iowa State
Oct. 23 at Missouri
Oct. 30 Colorado
Nov. 6 at Texas A&M
Nov. 13 Texas Tech
Nov. 20 at Baylor
Nov. 27 at Oklahoma St
Considering all the injuries and all the problems and all the disappointments and all the rebuilding that needed to be done, the mediocre 2009 could’ve been a lot worse.

Everything that could go wrong for the OU offense in 2009 almost did. The injuries on the line killed any hope for a consistent running game, Jermaine Gresham’s knee injury took away the nation’s most talented pass catching tight end before the season even began, and Sam Bradford’s crunched shoulder threw the team into a tailspin. Even with all the problems, OU still averaged 424 yards and 31 points per game, and while that might not be great compared to the 2008 machine, the attack was still solid and was among the best in the Big 12.

Defensively it was business as usual, even though there were injury problems, as well. The Sooners finished eighth in the nation in yards allowed and seventh in scoring D, the finished 23rd in the nation in total offense, the punting game was among the best in America, and the punt return game was the best in the Big 12 and finished third in the country.

And it still all added up to 8-5.

At most places, 8-5, in a year when everything went wrong, would be reason to get all excited going forward, but for a place like Oklahoma, it’s a reason to fire up the panic sirens. But on the plus side, the first four losses came by a total of 12 points and it’s not a reach to suggest that OU would’ve won all four games had Bradford been healthy. That’s not to dismiss the fine job that Landry Jones did when thrown to the wolves, but the reigning Heisman winner and No. 1 overall draft pick would’ve been the difference in the 14-13 loss to BYU, would’ve been more than enough to have gotten by Miami in a one point loss when the offense needed a veteran leader late, and he absolutely would’ve been the far better option against Texas after starting out throwing for 77 yards before getting knocked out in the three point loss. In the 10-3 loss to Nebraska, Jones threw five interceptions, so yeah, it’s safe to assume OU would’ve been better with Bradford under center, and if you don’t believe that, watch the games again and remember just how good No. 14 was.

So in the world of ifs and buts, had Bradford stayed healthy, OU likely would’ve been 11-1 (Texas Tech was fantastic in the 41-13 blowout win in late November), would’ve gone to the Big 12 title game, and if it had beaten Nebraska, would’ve gotten a shot at Alabama for the national title. So what’s the point? Oklahoma probably isn’t as far away from being special again as it might seem.

But Bradford did get hurt, Oklahoma did lose five games and struggled to get by Stanford in the Sun Bowl, and Texas is getting stronger and stronger with some phenomenal recent recruiting classes coming in over the last few years. Losing Bradford was a legitimate excuse last season, but there’s no reason to not be good this year. All the injuries and all the problems meant several young players got meaningful playing time, and now the talent level has to match up to experience. Thanks to some good recruiting classes, and with Bob Stoops staying around and not going to Notre Dame, there’s no reason to think that last year was anything more than an aberration. In other words, if you wanted to get to OU, last year might have been it.

What to watch for on offense: The emergence of name players to become superstars. OU has never had a Biletnikoff winner, but Ryan Broyles could end that if he has another season like he did last year. Landry Jones was the best freshman passer in America and had a statistical season that many quarterbacks would dream of, and he’s only going to get better with time. DeMarco Murray has always had next level talent, but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. If he can stay on the field, he has the potential to be one of the nation’s most productive running backs. And why should the skill stars be better? The offensive line should be far more consistent than it was last year, even though it actually came through with a good season. More on that in a moment.

What to watch for on defense: The corners. There’s a concern on the defensive front with star tackle Adrian Taylor needing to come back healthy after suffering a broken leg, but the production will be there in the front seven. The safeties, Quinton Carter and Sam Proctor, will be terrific, and in time the corners will be fine. But OU has always had issues against teams that can run an effective post pattern, and in the pass-happy Big 12, the spotlight will be on Jonathan Nelson, Demontre Hurst, Gabe Lynn, and Jamell Fleming. All have talent, quickness, and a world of upside, but they’re all a bit green and will be the one area of the defense that’s a question mark until around midseason.

The team will be far better if … the offensive line can find five starters and have the same lineup for most of the season. The offensive line patched things together and did a strong job last year in pass protection but struggled a bit in the running game. That’s to be expected considering there were nine different starting lineups up front. While there isn’t a Trent Williams-type of talent to lead the way, there are some good returning starters and a few solid talents like Donald Stephenson and Tyler Evans to get excited about, but everyone has to stay healthy.

The schedule: Oklahoma doesn’t lose in the state of Oklahoma, and there are only three of the seven in-state games that’ll provide any sort of an issue: Florida State, Texas Tech, and at Oklahoma State. The Sooners will win those three, or will lose one of them, at worst. Going to Cincinnati isn’t like going to Cincinnati last year, and the offense will have to get its track shoes on for shootouts on the road to face Missouri and Texas A&M, but of course it all comes down to October 2nd against Texas. Come out of Dallas with a win and the national title spotlight will be on. Three of the final four games and four of the final six are on the road.

Best offensive player: Junior WR Ryan Broyles. He’s not all that big and he’s going to get bounced around, but it’s not overstating things to say that he saved OU’s 2009 season by catching 89 passes for 1,120 yards and 15 touchdowns, being the first Sooner receiver to ever lead the team in scoring, while also serving as a special punt returner averaging 15.9 yards per try with a score. He put up those numbers despite missing a game and most of another, and that’s the problem. At only 178 pounds on a 5-11 frame, he can’t take a pounding.

Best defensive player: Senior LB Travis Lewis … or senior DE Jeremy Beal. Lewis has become the program’s star linebacker of the moments with 253 tackles and 21 tackles for loss in his first two seasons. He’s big, fast, tough, and a consistent hitter with great range and big-time playmaking ability. But he might be overshadowed by Beal, a pass rushing terror who followed up a strong 8.5 sack season by coming up with 11 sacks, 19 tackles for loss, and 70 tackles. He has the potential to leave OU as the greatest pass rusher in school history.

Key player to a successful season: Landry Jones … again. While he was a bit spurty with six touchdown passes against Tulsa, four against Kansas State, and five against Texas A&M, he came through in some key moments with a 418-yard, three score performance in the win over Stanford in the Sun Bowl. While he threw 14 interceptions, five of them came in one game against Nebraska. Last year the team needed whatever it could get out of him after Bradford went down, but this year he’ll be asked to be more of a playmaker and a strength. There’s a ton of talent behind him, but there’s no experience whatsoever and if he gets hurt or isn’t good, the season is over.

The season will be a success if … OU wins the Big 12 title. This doesn’t appear to be a national title-good Sooner team, but it’ll be talented enough and strong enough to run the table and win the whole ball of wax. However, if OU can hold serve at home and can get by Texas, there’s no reason it can’t go to its fourth Big 12 championship game in five years and seventh in nine seasons.

Key game: Oct. 2 vs. Texas … of course. However, beyond the obvious, OU’s biggest game might turn out to be at Texas A&M on November 6th. It comes at the time of year when a still-growing Sooner team might hit a wall on the road against a phenomenal offensive attack. With Texas Tech coming up the following week before going on the road to close out the regular season at Baylor and Oklahoma State, a loss in College Station might make for an interesting November.

2009 Fun Stats:
- Punt return average: Oklahoma 16.3 yards per try – Opponents 1.8 yards
- First quarter scoring: Oklahoma 96 – Opponents 13
- Fourth down conversions: Opponents 8-of-14 (57%) – Oklahoma 7-of-20 (35%)

Doyen
5/11/2010, 11:22 AM
Someone should inform him that Travis Lewis is just a Junior to be, not a senior.

PDXsooner
5/11/2010, 11:27 AM
Someone should inform him that Travis Lewis is just a Junior to be, not a senior.

You read that whole thing and that's what you came away with? Man, you'd be a tough editor.

KantoSooner
5/11/2010, 11:29 AM
Not to criticize but the analysis was, "Dunno, looks like they might be good. On paper. Won't know until they play. Oh yeah, they have to stay healthy."

I should get paid for writing that.

NormanPride
5/11/2010, 11:54 AM
Ten Best Oklahoma Players
1. WR/PR Ryan Broyles, Jr.
2. LB Travis Lewis, Sr.
3. DE Jeremy Beal, Sr.
4. DT Adrian Taylor, Sr.
5. RB DeMarco Murray, Sr.
6. FS Quinton Carter, Sr.
7. P Tress Way, Soph.
8. QB Landry Jones, Soph.
9. C Ben Habern, Jr.
10. OT Cory Brandon, Sr.

Hmm. Having the punter that high usually isn't good. I think at the end of the season it will look like this:

1. Broyles
2. Beal
3. Landry
4. Taylor
5. Murray
6. Stills
7. T. Lewis
8. Alexander
9. Nelson
10. Ratterree

I think Stills will be huge this year as the second WR we need to really open things up. Ratterree or another TE will get enough catches and TDs that they'll be on the list, and I think Travis will have a mediocre year by his standards. He needs to learn to get off blocks, or he'll forever be an "OK" linebacker.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2010, 02:10 PM
I think he just meant good relative to his position and Tress Way is national level good. Our advantage when trading punts was significant last season, although I'd rather just score at the '08 rate :). I'd put Beal at number 2 right now on team contributions - the guy is a natural play maker.

I thought the write-up was pretty good over-all, but I'd quibble with the 11-1 record had Sam played all year. Other teams would have changed tactics in those close games, so it takes real crimson glasses to put them all in the 'W' column. No doubt in my mind we win at least 2 of them though and go to a better bowl.

ratherthanlater
5/11/2010, 05:48 PM
I like Ben Habern but he doesn't deserve to be on that list. And where the hell is Ronnell Lewis?:mad:

JLEW1818
5/11/2010, 06:06 PM
came on FSN the other day, i got it recorded

IronHorseSooner
5/11/2010, 11:15 PM
I know they've won four of five, but I don't buy all this "* being better by a country mile" carp. To me, they look a lot more like we did last year than a national title contender. You know if we win the big three games (Cincy, *, and A&M), then why wouldn't we be in MNC consideration?

I agree, where's "The Hammer" on that list?

BTW, I think the corners will be fine. Having a good pass rush is the best friend of a corner.

MiccoMacey
5/12/2010, 09:28 AM
Losing Bradford was a legitimate excuse last season, but there’s no reason to not be good this year.

Awesome quote.

Still not sold 100% on the development of Landry...I'm not sure his potential isn't close to being maximized already. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong. Some things are harder to change/improve on than others. I think his weak spots are some of those.

Even when Nate Hybl threw four interceptions against Texas in 2002, he still was very productive and able to overcome those bad passes and helped lead OU to a win. Landry never was able to mount anything in his five interceptions against Nebraska. I know that was basically Hybl's second season as a starter, so he had a huge advantage. But all season long, I never felt like Landry was going to "lead" us to a score. We might in fact score...but it felt more like we were going to stumble to a score more than it was a forceful drive, imposing our will on a defense.

Of course I'm also willing to give him a break since:

1) He was listed as third on the depth chart at one point late during the summer. I don't believe he really thought he'd see much field time other than some mop up duty in the 4th when we were would be ahead by 40.

2) The lack of OLine development due to injuries never gave him a chance to become completely comfortable.

3) This is on the heels of Sam Bradford. He is probably our best overall QB at OU under Stoops. He was just darn special. It's kind of hard not to judge LJ based off him since he followed him. That's not an LJ thing...that's a me thing.

Jack T.
5/12/2010, 11:03 AM
- Fourth down conversions: Opponents 8-of-14 (57%) – Oklahoma 7-of-20 (35%)

I'm surprised we were 35%.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2010, 12:13 PM
what did we do to earn that schedule?

JLEW1818
5/12/2010, 01:16 PM
I know they've won four of five, but I don't buy all this "* being better by a country mile" carp. To me, they look a lot more like we did last year than a national title contender. You know if we win the big three games (Cincy, *, and A&M), then why wouldn't we be in MNC consideration?

I agree, where's "The Hammer" on that list?

BTW, I think the corners will be fine. Having a good pass rush is the best friend of a corner.

trust me, the smart horn fans know that they could be in trouble.

lost their qb, wr, oline, best defensive guys.

they now must commit to a run game, with Kolt gone.

they saw how that did us last year. (oline / wr)

2-3 losses for the horns in 2010

NormanPride
5/12/2010, 01:17 PM
what did we do to earn that schedule?

Everyone who thinks Cincy is suddenly going to suck is going to be surprised. :(

JLEW1818
5/12/2010, 01:19 PM
i don't think cincy will suck

but they did lose the 3 most important people on the 2009 team.

Pike
Gilyard
Their Coach

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2010, 05:20 PM
cinci?

how about 3 out of the last 4 on the road?

IronHorseSooner
5/12/2010, 11:56 PM
i don't think cincy will suck

but they did lose the 3 most important people on the 2009 team.

Pike
Gilyard
Their Coach

Not to mention their best defender, a DB by the name of Webster. Their new QB is good, Collaros (sp?). He's more a Jason White before the knee injuries type of guy. They will be good, but I don't see a lot of experts having them in the Top 25. They will need to play their best game of the year to beat us; however, until we prove that we can win on the road, anything is possible.

IronHorseSooner
5/13/2010, 12:15 AM
trust me, the smart horn fans know that they could be in trouble.

lost their qb, wr, oline, best defensive guys.

they now must commit to a run game, with Kolt gone.

they saw how that did us last year. (oline / wr)

2-3 losses for the horns in 2010

I, too, am fighting Longwhorns all over the world:mad: !

I was thinking about this last night, and just what position are they clearly better than us?

QB- Landry is better than Gilbert Grape (a five turnover game is not impressive)
RB- Our true frosh are better than anyone they will trot out there
WR- This is a push, almost down to a man; however, they don't have an established gamebreaker like Broyles.
TE- They had one do well in their spring game, but OUr group is markedly better than theirs.
OL- Even at worst, this is a push. We have 8 guys returning who started last year, not counting OUr biggest OL (Alandoye), maybe OUr most talented (Stephenson), and the #1 OL recruiting class in the nation.
DL- No Melton, no Kindle= ????? We have the best DE, one of the best DTs, not to mention J-Mac, and Frank Alexander.
LBs: Besides Acho, I have no idea who their other starters would be. We are more experienced and athletic than their guys by a mile.
Safeties: Carter is better than Gideon, and Proctor is better than who they have replacing Thomas.
Corners: This is the only position where they would have an advantage. They return both guys; whereas, we replace both. Now, Nelson did lead the team in INTs last year, and Hurst has a good bit of potential, but, in all honesty, they do have an advantage here.
Kickers: Tress is better than Gold or Tucker; and they have to replace Lawrence. Even Jimmy Stevens is more experienced than whoever they trot out there.
Returners: Broyles and DM (if he does it) are better than who they have. They have talent (Goodwin and Monroe), but don't have the experience of OUr two.

Therefore, the only reason that they are higher is that they have won 4 of 5. Outside of that, if we bring our "A" game, it could be a long day for them against us.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2010, 02:47 PM

I was thinking about this last night, and just what position are they clearly better than us?

QB- Landry is better than Gilbert Grape (a five turnover game is not impressive)
WR- This is a push, almost down to a man; however, they don't have an established gamebreaker like Broyles.
TE- They had one do well in their spring game, but OUr group is markedly better than theirs.
OL- Even at worst, this is a push. We have 8 guys returning who started last year, not counting OUr biggest OL (Alandoye), maybe OUr most talented (Stephenson), and the #1 OL recruiting class in the nation.
DL- No Melton, no Kindle= ????? We have the best DE, one of the best DTs, not to mention J-Mac, and Frank Alexander.
LBs: Besides Acho, I have no idea who their other starters would be. We are more experienced and athletic than their guys by a mile.
Safeties: Carter is better than Gideon, and Proctor is better than who they have replacing Thomas.
Corners: This is the only position where they would have an advantage. They return both guys; whereas, we replace both. Now, Nelson did lead the team in INTs last year, and Hurst has a good bit of potential, but, in all honesty, they do have an advantage here.
Kickers: Tress is better than Gold or Tucker; and they have to replace Lawrence. Even Jimmy Stevens is more experienced than whoever they trot out there.
Returners: Broyles and DM (if he does it) are better than who they have. They have talent (Goodwin and Monroe), but don't have the experience of OUr two.

Therefore, the only reason that they are higher is that they have won 4 of 5. Outside of that, if we bring our "A" game, it could be a long day for them against us.

QB- OMG, i'd take simms or major over that limp wristed thrower heupel
RB- seriously? hodges mitchell with no legs or arms can outrun griffin
WR- omg, we have the greatest WR class in history. there isn't a single guy on OU's roster that would make our SCOUT team
TE- if we had bo scaife this would be clearly ours, since he's out trent smith is a push
OL- this isn't even close. we had the #1 OL class in the nation. they have a bunch of scrubs
DL- ryan fisher is good, but my god we have 2 1st round picks even if hampton is questionable
LBs: they have an advantage here, but ours aren't bad. if we don't mug, this is clearly in our favor.
Safeties: push -> ours suck but jt thatcher has to be one of the most undiscipined safeties ever. he's going to get burned a lot.
Corners: we are sick loaded with talent -> quinton jammer, rod babers? better than any defensive back on OU's roster
Kickers: our kickers have sucked for a decade, they win by default
Returners: jt thatcher is really good, we haven't returned a kick in 5 years. this is theres

based on this, if we bring our "B" game, it should be a long day for them against us.

just saying, talent is only one aspect of college football. typically in rivalry games, the toughest team wins and we've been pulling up our skirts for 5 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/13/2010, 03:10 PM
pullin em up and bendin over

NormanPride
5/13/2010, 03:16 PM
If they can get that running game going I don't like the look of our DTs without Taylor 100%. Heck, even with GK in there we were weak in the middle against a big back. Hopefully we have more quality depth now, though.

Herr Scholz
5/13/2010, 04:21 PM

Golly, I guess we'll go ahead and play the game anyway. Let me know if your team has positive rushing yards this year (last year you had -16 total, 48 total in '08).

gaylordfan1
5/13/2010, 04:26 PM
Get outta HERR, no seriously, im glad your here. I soooo cant wait til that game! Your giving me something to look forward to.... ie + rushing yards!

Herr Scholz
5/13/2010, 04:28 PM
Get outta HERR, no seriously, im glad your here. I soooo cant wait til that game! Your giving me something to look forward to.... ie + rushing yards!
Gracias. Just a little dig there. ;) I think it'll be a slobberknocker just like always. Both of our teams just reload every year, recruiting's too good. It takes a perfect storm of injuries like you guys had last season to ever have a down year.

C&CDean
5/13/2010, 04:42 PM
Somebody shoot me in the dick with a howitzer. Herr said something sensible.

Herr Scholz
5/13/2010, 04:55 PM
Wazzup, Dean? Long time.

MiccoMacey
5/13/2010, 06:19 PM
Somebody shoot me in the dick with a howitzer .

Waaaaaay overkill.

:)

ratherthanlater
5/13/2010, 06:39 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ay overkill.

:)

Fixed.:)

goingoneight
5/14/2010, 06:06 PM
Gracias. Just a little dig there. ;) I think it'll be a slobberknocker just like always. Both of our teams just reload every year, recruiting's too good. It takes a perfect storm of injuries like you guys had last season to ever have a down year.

Stoops was raked over the coals by the media when he said "we're not far off" last year.

A Sam and a Gresham justfies that. Hell, outside of the Tech fiasco (which IMO, was a frustrated team that just gave up, not a team severely outmatched)... we were really close to being great on a really BAD year. If we make steady improvement and stay healthy (shouldn't be too hard to do) I'd expect to be right back in usual form in 2010.

I've never been one to just mark down a victory against Texas. 2000, and 2003 shocked me, quite honestly... and the five straight was more a matter of OU playing well IMO than playing a team that couldn't beat us. It leveled out with time, and the same Texas that's averaged double-digit wins every year started adding a few RRS victories to those lists. So there's no Colt, No Shipley... blah-blah-blah. I can remember when those guys were afterthoughts and all of a sudden we got burned by them. I also remember a time when Texas fans thought...

"OU's midget running back is all they've got" circa 2000.
"Let's just see Josh Heupel's backup handle a Texas team that's actually motivated." circa 2001
"Jason White? The option quarterback with no knees?" circa 2003
"Sam Bradford seems like he sucks" thread before the start of the 2007 season.

We've heard it year-in, year-out. Texas will have a few breakout stars give us a headache, and "Colt's backup" will be the next ace QB at Texas. Landry will be the next ace QB here, and we'll keep putting NFL'ers out on the field every year also so long as it's Stoops versus Brown. These things don't magically change after over a decade of consistency.