PDA

View Full Version : Holy Carp, Y'all!!! Everybody OK?

SunnySooner
5/10/2010, 07:18 PM
My in-laws in OKC just had a storm cellar put in last week, just crawled out of it, turning in The Weather Channel, WOW!! That was a big tornado!! Hope everyone's OK, and undamaged, scary!!!:gary: :eek:

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 07:57 PM
Im Skeered . I need a coupla them Big Breastage wimmens we was talkin about to Give me some Comfort :D :hot:

yermom
5/10/2010, 08:01 PM
you know those cost more, right?

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 08:02 PM

If Im gonna Die Im a write em a check :D

btk108
5/10/2010, 08:05 PM

Maybe you could loan him Sarah

yermom
5/10/2010, 08:16 PM
strangely, in person, she's kinda flatchested

Ike
5/10/2010, 08:23 PM
Seems all my neighbors either had fences or shingles blow off. Our property is (visibly) unscathed...

I drove up to the house right as a wall of 75+ mph straight line winds slammed into our neighborhood. Driving down Indian hills road, I could see the debris cloud comming up the road a mile away.

yermom
5/10/2010, 08:29 PM
i'm in Tulsa, so i haven't seen my yard yet or anything. supposedly my house is okay, but there are branches down, i guess

seems things were worse a few miles in both directions on Hwy 9

Ike
5/10/2010, 08:42 PM
i'm in Tulsa, so i haven't seen my yard yet or anything. supposedly my house is okay, but there are branches down, i guess

seems things were worse a few miles in both directions on Hwy 9

Hwy 9 and the I-40/240 interchange look f**kd up.

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 08:44 PM
Are Yall fergettin Im Skeered down here ?
Where da wimmens ?

btk108
5/10/2010, 09:09 PM
up to 5 fatalities now

royalfan5
5/10/2010, 09:33 PM
Have the storms blown through now? Best of luck to y'all.

sooner59
5/10/2010, 09:55 PM
Some pictures from Channel 5 (who also got their car windows broken by hail).

http://www.koco.com/slideshow/weather/23512459/detail.html

tulsaoilerfan
5/10/2010, 10:14 PM
Just a little damage south of town here this evening and haven't heard if a tornado actually touched down or not

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 10:47 PM
Well no thanks to Yall I made it thru the storm
Not a one of ya tried to help me out with the Big breastage wimmens :(

Ill prolly be traumatized fer life cause i didnt have that Comfort ;)

Curly Bill
5/10/2010, 11:08 PM
Down in my neck of the woods the nadors seemed to not think they could cross south of the Red River. Lucky for me in this case that's the side I live on by a mere 20 miles or so.

the_ouskull
5/10/2010, 11:12 PM
If Im gonna Die Im a write em a check :D

Usually you have to pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

the_ouskull

delhalew
5/10/2010, 11:24 PM
I drove right thru it. Not sure how I did that. Anyway, I'm fine and so is the family.

StoopTroup
5/11/2010, 08:01 AM
I rode my Harley to work yesterday and drove Home last night at 11:30 pm so I don't know what you are talking about Sunny? Did someone turn on a TV or something? :D ;)

btk108
5/11/2010, 11:52 AM
I drove right thru it. Not sure how I did that. Anyway, I'm fine and so is the family.

Was this you driving the van?

http://www.kfor.com/videobeta/58fade3c-485a-41ad-be4a-af35d1c1bca0/Weather/Norman-Tornado-Van-Roll-Over

goingoneight
5/11/2010, 12:26 PM
One of my sister's friends in Norman got a totaled car and a head injury from hail last night. I think she said he was in Norman. I dunno... I got nothing more than wind and rain at home. I sanded and painted through all of it.

proud gonzo
5/11/2010, 09:04 PM
Tornado landed a half mile from my house, basically. We're safe. No damage except for three shingles MIA.

Jacie
5/12/2010, 06:13 AM
Here in New York, everyone has a basement but we don't get tornadoes. So imagine my NY born-raised wife visiting Oklahoma with me and finding out almost no one has a basement right in tornado ground zero. She thinks everyone who lives in Oklahoma is nuts. I tell her that I was there 30 years and never saw one, that while they are destructive you actually have to be underneath a very narrow, relatively speaking, path to be in one. She isn't buying it. So everytime there is a report of one anywhere near OKC where my family is, she thinks they are all dead or blown away.

StoopTroup
5/12/2010, 07:48 AM
Tornadoes are teh real terrorists.

Ike
5/12/2010, 08:32 AM
Here in New York, everyone has a basement but we don't get tornadoes. So imagine my NY born-raised wife visiting Oklahoma with me and finding out almost no one has a basement right in tornado ground zero. She thinks everyone who lives in Oklahoma is nuts. I tell her that I was there 30 years and never saw one, that while they are destructive you actually have to be underneath a very narrow, relatively speaking, path to be in one. She isn't buying it. So everytime there is a report of one anywhere near OKC where my family is, she thinks they are all dead or blown away.

The main reason for no basements in Oklahoma, I think, has to do with cost. In northern states, most everyone has a basement because They have to excavate deeper anyway to get the footings below the frost line. At that point it's not much more of a cost to go ahead and build a basement. The frost line is much closer to the surface here, So they'd have to excavate much deeper than is required to build a house in order to put in a basement...thus adding significantly to the cost.

Add to that the fact that the soil is mostly clay, which shifts and moves a lot, and financially at least, basements dont often make a lot of sense.

olevetonahill
5/12/2010, 08:48 AM
Ike
IIRC it has more to do with the Higher water table here. Makes it hard as hell to seal em from leakage and shat .

StoopTroup
5/12/2010, 11:07 AM
What the heck is IIRC Vet? I'm losing my acronym prowess each and every day now. Either that or I've over acronymed. :D

yermom
5/12/2010, 11:38 AM
If I Remember Correctly

and it was a lot closer than i thought seeing all the damage to Perfect Swing which is basically due South from me like 1/2 a mile

that makes two in the last year or so that were too close for comfort

so much for the Norman tornado barrier :mad:

Boarder
5/12/2010, 12:11 PM
Eh, south of hwy 9 is Noble. Barrier Intact!

C&CDean
5/12/2010, 03:58 PM
No basements for a couple reasons. The water table and the type of soils we have. When it gets dry, you can see cracks in my pasture an inch or more wide. Sometimes the earth separates from the side of the house foundation by the same. Then it rains, and it seals back up.

We've got shifty soil, and basements will crack and leak every damn time. I've even seen many a fraidy hole full of water and rats and crap. I'll take my chances on the porch with a glass of Tullamore Dew and a pork chop.

Dio
5/12/2010, 04:08 PM
so much for the Norman tornado barrier :mad:

Super Target can't protect you like King Kong's grave did.

IB4OU2
5/12/2010, 04:11 PM
Yes officer we found him two miles from his place...poor fella smelled of Irish Whiskey and had a death grip on a pork chop? :D

yermom
5/12/2010, 05:36 PM
Super Target can't protect you like King Kong's grave did.

:(