PDA

View Full Version : Eat candy, get detention.

NormanPride
5/10/2010, 11:47 AM
For a week! (http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html)

I've never heard of anything like this. I know where my mom used to teach they forbade the teachers using anything that had "sugar" as the first ingredient as a treat or snack. I can understand that, but this is horrid.

goingoneight
5/10/2010, 12:29 PM
I understand not wanting kids all hyped up in class... but the biggest part of being a teacher is tolerance. Whether it's pre-schoolers or high school kids, it's not just a cakewalk directing classes.

Having said that, beating them with the book for a Jolly Rancher seems ridiculous. I can remember my own teachers seeming like total biznatchos for us having chewing gum. Big baskets of candy... confiscate and give it back after school with warning to not bring any back... if you want to police that.

Oh, and does this family happen to have a high school-age lesbian who wants to wear a tuxedo to her prom? Seems like this story is another one of those "not that big of a deal" kinda "let's make it a big deal" situations.

yermom
5/10/2010, 12:33 PM
School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

i can't even understand how stupid they are

NormanPride
5/10/2010, 12:36 PM
Especially since the law specifically DOESN'T limit what parents give their kids. Not to mention that the level of punishment is completely up to the school.

TUSooner
5/10/2010, 12:41 PM
As much as I admire teachers and school administrators in general for the vital service they provide, some of them are shockingly stupid and lack any sign common sense or the capacity for discretion.

soonerboomer93
5/10/2010, 12:50 PM
must have been one of those ****ty watermelon ones.

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 01:08 PM
Yea But Yall Know if ya let em get away with breaking a Small rule , the next thing ya know they are playing Hookie , Then on to worse things , Before ya know it they gonna be robbing Banks and ****.
As http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/sL9TunUh_bw/0.jpgsays Ya got to Nip it, Nip it in the bud.

NormanPride
5/10/2010, 01:15 PM
Dear Diary, today I ate a skittle in class. The teacher almost caught me and the thrill was indescribable! Tomorrow I'm thinking of killing my first hobo after he gets me teen pregnant. How fun!

;)

1890MilesToNorman
5/10/2010, 01:24 PM
I knew a girl named Candy once and yes, she managed to get me into detention.

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 01:25 PM
Thats what im sayin NP
The little hooligans need to be taught Lifes lessons the hard way afore they end up doing Hard Time :eek: