PDA

View Full Version : History Channel's "America The Story of Us" jumps the shark

47straight
5/10/2010, 01:13 AM
I started watching some of this, and it seemed to be going ok for a high-level survey show.

But I've removed it from my DVR scheduled recording when they featured random comments by the well-known, highly regarded, often-published historian Bill Maher.

It's like the producer of the show was stolen from the "Top N Songs of the NN's" from VH1.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/10/2010, 01:20 AM
I started watching some of this, and it seemed to be going ok for a high-level survey show.

But I've removed it from my DVR scheduled recording when they featured random comments by the well-known, highly regarded, often-published historian Bill Maher.

It's like the producer of the show was stolen from the "Top N Songs of the NN's" from VH1.Hope it didn't come as a ridiculous surprise to you .

yermom
5/10/2010, 07:35 AM
did Bill Maher say something you disagree with, or do you just not like him?

some of the people they had doing that seemed a little odd, but it wasn't quite I Love the 1870's

MrJimBeam
5/10/2010, 08:09 AM
Sheryl Crow

A quote from her went something like "there are people still today that are proud to be southern". It was in the context that being a proud Southerner is somehow longing for the old days of plantations and slavery. Heck, the Puffy Combs fellow had some of the best commits I've heard on the show yet.

BudSooner
5/10/2010, 10:48 AM
I would rather scrape my *** with a wire brush and then sit in a tub of alcohol before watching that POS, celebs love to interject their own thoughts into stuff like this which is the reason I would tune it out.

soonerboomer93
5/10/2010, 11:23 AM
I've been watching "The Pacific" since it's on at the same time. If it's a "celeb opinion/observation segment" show, then I don't mind missing it at all.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/10/2010, 11:46 AM
I have been TIVOing the show. From a historical view, why the hell would we care what Sheryl Crow and Bill Maher says or thinks about this topic. Jump the shark sounds like it.

Sooner04
5/10/2010, 11:53 AM
I've watched the first three episodes, and I've enjoyed it. I'm a little different than most of you in that I don't let the opinions of celebrities affect my thoughts on any topic or on their ability to perform their craft.

They're entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine.

5/10/2010, 12:26 PM
I've watched the first three episodes, and I've enjoyed it. I'm a little different than most of you in that I don't let the opinions of celebrities affect my thoughts on any topic...

They're entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine.It's just aggravating and makes one question the authors of the piece, as to their biases and judgment.

yermom
5/10/2010, 12:29 PM
I've been watching "The Pacific" since it's on at the same time. If it's a "celeb opinion/observation segment" show, then I don't mind missing it at all.

if it's what i was watching last night about the railroad and the civil war and cattle drives and such then it's not really

they are just kinda peppered in from what i remember

Ardmore_Sooner
5/10/2010, 06:42 PM
I've watched the first three episodes, and I've enjoyed it. I'm a little different than most of you in that I don't let the opinions of celebrities affect my thoughts on any topic or on their ability to perform their craft.

This.

I've watched all three so far, and its kinda sad that you would turn away because of 3 seconds of someone you don't like. Hell some of you would have turned away when Obama opened the first episode up with a word from the President.

47straight
5/10/2010, 07:03 PM
did Bill Maher say something you disagree with, or do you just not like him?

some of the people they had doing that seemed a little odd, but it wasn't quite I Love the 1870's

I've seen Bill Maher's "take" on history, as well as the subsequent retractions when his smears were shown to be patently false. He isn't a historian, he's an entertainer who says outrageous things to get ratings. If that's the kind of judgment the producers of the show exercise, why would I trust them to get anything right? Not worth the time.

47straight
5/10/2010, 07:08 PM

Paris Hilton is entitled to her opinion on geometry, but I doubt I'll bother watching a special featuring it.

5/10/2010, 07:55 PM
Paris Hilton is entitled to her opinion on geometry, but I doubt I'll bother watching a special featuring it. But by all means, don't let me stop you from watching your stories.You mean you don't turn to Jon Stewart for the latest news?

TheHumanAlphabet
5/13/2010, 12:30 PM

Agreed, then why ain't History Channel over at 04's house asking your opinion and taping it for the show. This is why I HATE celebrity comments and celebs spouting off. Who the hell cares what you think and what makes you such an expert to espouse soemthing??? That said, Robocop gets a pass - he got a Ph.D. and is on faculty at Syracuse.

the_ouskull
5/13/2010, 03:24 PM

It's like the producer of the show was stolen from the "Top N Songs of the NN's" from VH1.

Well, for what it's worth, Maher DOES have a degree in History from Cornell University.

the_ouskull

Veritas
5/13/2010, 03:28 PM
I've been sorta watching this series. It's hard to take it seriously though with doofi like P. Diddy and Sheryl Crow delivering commentary.

Of course, I shut off Life after five minutes because hearing Oprah's voice makes me want to end my own life.

5/13/2010, 04:59 PM
Of course, I shut off Life after five minutes because hearing Oprah's voice makes me want to end my own life.

Ain't that the truth! The show is good, though, and after 10 minutes or so, I have been able to get past her voice, to enjoy the show.(I do have to go through that whole exercise every time I turn the show on, however)

yermom
5/13/2010, 05:36 PM
how much of what they said is even opinion? did they write it?