PDA

View Full Version : Yo, NEFFEL Fans...

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 05:04 PM
How come Sammy doesn't have a contract yet? I've never really followed pro ball all that much, so I'm ignorant on the processes, but it seemed like by this time last year, ole Matty was a signed, sealed, delivered Lion. What's the deal? I thought we would know by now just how much his guaranteed amount was gonna be. What's taking so long?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Collier11
5/9/2010, 05:55 PM
Bradford and the Rams chose not to sign prior to the draft, he will probably sign in the next 2 months is my guess, contract will be $40-45 mil guaranteed if I had to guess

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it's generally not an instant contract after the draft. Sam has to have his agent bargain for guaranteed money while the Rams try to keep it as low as they possibly can.

Aries
5/9/2010, 09:00 PM
Also, there's an outside chance (way, way outside) that there will be a new collective bargaining agreement before training camp that would limit rookie salaries. So speculation is, that the Rams are in no big hurry to sign Sam. One day before training camp starts is just as good as two months before.

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 09:19 PM
Also, there's an outside chance (way, way outside) that there will be a new collective bargaining agreement before training camp that would limit rookie salaries. So speculation is, that the Rams are in no big hurry to sign Sam. One day before training camp starts is just as good as two months before.

Hmmm. If that did happen, seems like the one getting bent over would be Sam, he would lose the 1st pick money and the quarterback premium, right? What would his options be if they tried to lowball him? Take it or leave it, or could he sign with another team? Would he have to wait a year first to do that?

Collier11
5/9/2010, 10:14 PM
the new collective bargaining agreement wont be done anytime soon

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 10:27 PM
Sam's smart enough to make sure his contract is solid and final before any of that happens. think about it: He's booksmart, quick-minded, raised right, talented, and most of all a Sooner. He'll be so rich he won't have to play a single down to be set for life.

SunnySooner
5/10/2010, 07:59 AM
I hope so Crux, he deserves it, it's nice when you can see good things happen to good people. More than that, I want him to be one of the best NFL QBs of all time, so we can tell all his critics to shut the hell up. I wish they'd hurry up and sign him tho, I'm really curious as to whether he'll get more than Stafford got last year. I'd like to know what GK, Trent and Jermaine get as well, I bet the total of those 4's guaranteed money will be astounding. We should have tshirts made or something, comparing that amt. to what Ponyboy, his boyfriend, and the other saxet players bring in. And then send one to every recruit trying to decide between the two of us. Wouldn't take me long to choose OU after seeing that comparison.

oumartin
5/10/2010, 09:12 AM

yep, there was a nice big article about this the other day. Plus the rams are about to have new ownership

badger
5/10/2010, 09:19 AM
The new CBA won't be ready in a few months - I would think it wouldn't be till next year's rookies.

Teams are always hopeful that there'll be another Ricky Williams out there, that is dumb enough to sign for next-to-nothing after being a high pick. However, Sammie wasn't educated in Texas, and his agent isn't some newb whose claim to fame is rapping :D

As such, teams will make sure there isn't a chance that you're Ricky-dumb, then eventually crack and give you your money. The reason top picks have signed earlier recently is because they were lineman, not quarterbacks. When they're QB's and not Long or Mario, expect a longer negotiation.

soonerfan28
5/10/2010, 01:21 PM
Hmmm. If that did happen, seems like the one getting bent over would be Sam, he would lose the 1st pick money and the quarterback premium, right? What would his options be if they tried to lowball him? Take it or leave it, or could he sign with another team? Would he have to wait a year first to do that?

from wikipedia~A player who is drafted but does not sign a contract can sit out that season, which is referred to as a "holdout", and can re-enter the draft the following year unless he is told differently by the NFL commissioner.

I think he would have to wait until next years draft to be able to go to a different team. I know Elway did it and I believe Bo Jackson did as well. They both had the MLB to turn to though.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2010, 03:05 PM
Elway threatened to holdout, but did not. He made it clear that if he was chosen by the Colts, he wouldn't sign. The Colts were the dredges of the NFL back then - sort of like the Lions are now.

Collier11
5/10/2010, 03:31 PM
I thought Elway went and played baseball for a year and refused to play for Indy?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2010, 03:35 PM
[/B]

from wikipedia~A player who is drafted but does not sign a contract can sit out that season, which is referred to as a "holdout", and can re-enter the draft the following year unless he is told differently by the NFL commissioner.

I think he would have to wait until next years draft to be able to go to a different team. I know Elway did it and I believe Bo Jackson did as well. They both had the MLB to turn to though.

yeah, its something Crabtree considered before signing with SF..not signing and re-entering this year

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2010, 04:00 PM
I thought Elway went and played baseball for a year and refused to play for Indy?

He was drafted as a baseball player (yankees, I think), but did not ever play. He was indeed drafted by Indy, but traded to Denver much like the Eli Manning deal between the Giants and the Chargers. We'll never know if he would really have held out.

Sam has not made any such noise regarding the Rams. My only surprise was he attended the rookie mini camp and I thought players didn't do that until they had signed.

bluedogok
5/10/2010, 10:54 PM
Elway did play one or two summers of Class A baseball in the Yankees farm system at Oneonta depending upon which biography you look up. On Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=elway-001joh) they only show one season (1982) at Oneonta. If Baltimore/Indy would not have traded him he probably would have stayed with the Yankees for awhile or gone to the USFL.

Collier11
5/10/2010, 10:56 PM
^ thats what I was thinkin