PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own a Pet Bird? Cause This Is Getting Weird.

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 08:16 AM
I have a door from my bedroom that leads into the backyard/patio area. It has a big glass section in the middle. Well, a couple days ago, a bird flew into the glass, as sometimes happens, bounced off and flew away. No biggie. A little while later, it happened again, and this time I saw that the bird was a good size and looked to have a bright green chest. I ran to the door to look out, but it was gone. Now 2 days later, he just did it again, same bird, gone when I tried to find him. WTH???? Is this someone's pet parrot or something? Does he think this is his house? I don't know anyone in my neighborhood with a parrot, but there are a lot of houses around me. I feel bad for him!! What can I do? I want to help, tho I do have a bit of a bird phobia, IDK they just freak me out. But this one's gonna kill itself if it keeps ramming my door at full speed.

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 08:18 AM
Watch-out for crocodiles Peter.

Viking Kitten
5/9/2010, 09:06 AM
Is it possible he is seeing his reflection and trying to attack? I used to have a cardinal that would repeatedly dive bomb a window at my house at precisely 8 am for a few weeks every summer. My window faced east and I think it's because the angle of the sun turned that window into a big mirror at that time of day. Apparently cardinals are very aggressive and territorial birds.

Anyway, this happened for multiple days and multiple summers, so I guess it didn't kill him, but it is rather unsettling to hear that thump.

BudSooner
5/9/2010, 09:17 AM
STOP USING WINDEX! :D

Tailwind
5/9/2010, 09:31 AM
I used to have two Cockatiels, but Ozzie, the oldest just died last week. He was 28 years old. Sam, the younger one, is 25. She misses Ozzie, but is ok so far. I never let them out because one of my cats likes to kill birds. I don't let the cats out anymore either. A couple times when Shady would catch a bird and bring it inside, the bird would escape her clutches and slam into the window glass trying to escape. "Course it never did the birds any good. They became a pile of little bones and feathers under my bed. UGH!!!!

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 09:44 AM
FYI...

-PhmYfBK13M

olevetonahill
5/9/2010, 11:25 AM
I got this :cool:
http://petextreme.net/files/images/blue_fronted_amazon.jpg

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 11:45 AM
lol, Vet, he's not THAT big, from what I can see, I think it's some sort of parakeet--cardinal sized, just a bright green chest. I really think he believes this is house, and just keeps trying to fly in. I guess I'll keep my eyes out for some lost bird signs or something, maybe the owner could call him if they knew the general area the bird was in. Poor little lost birdie!! Not to mention it scares 10 years off my life everytime I hear the "THUMP" as he crashes. Hopefully he'll find his way home soon.

GottaHavePride
5/9/2010, 12:09 PM
Put a couple of stickers on the outside of your window. Birds that size aren't especially bright, and without something stuck to the window, they don't realize there's anything there that they might fly into.

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 12:51 PM
What it comes down to is "birds is dumb".

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 04:39 PM
What it comes down to is "birds is dumb".

except that most of them aren't. Glass doesn't figure into a bird's natural habitat. They see a reflection of something and don't get what it is.

Like GHP said, just stickers of some sort on the outside of the window and it should solve the problem.

olevetonahill
5/9/2010, 04:50 PM
except that most of them aren't. Glass doesn't figure into a bird's natural habitat. They see a reflection of something and don't get what it is.

Like GHP said, just stickers of some sort on the outside of the window and it should solve the problem.

Or she could get this guy to come over and fix the problem :D

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/csl4421l.jpg

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 05:37 PM
Ugh, I don't want that guy, he'd clean out my pantry, fridge and deep freezer!! Don't they have any good looking bird shooters?!!!;) :D

I think I'll just lower the shade that goes over that part of the door. Keeps the sun out anyway, and hopefully the little birdie won't see it as an opening to fly thru. I really do think it's someone's pet, I hope they find each other!!

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 05:51 PM

Luckily I was just cracking a dumb joke for the most part. Chickens are morons, pigeons are idiots, and parrots can't form their own opinions. Aside from that birds seem to be fairly sharp creatures overall. :D

unbiasedtruth
5/9/2010, 06:18 PM
open the door and let him in.....

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 08:28 PM
Don't they have any good looking bird shooters?!!!

;) :D

http://www.faithmouse.com/sarah_palin_pancake_hunter.jpg

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 08:37 PM
Good looking MALE bird shooters, ya nut!!!!!!!:D :D :D

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 08:41 PM
:D

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 09:03 PM
...My fiance's a good-looking bird hunter, but I'm not about to post a picture of him for you chuckleheads. :P

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 09:10 PM
...My fiance's a good-looking bird hunter, but I'm not about to post a picture of him for you chuckleheads. :P

Awww!! Ok, I don't blame you. Knowing these guys, he'd end up in a very compromising fark that would follow him the rest of his life.:P

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 09:40 PM
And if that happened he should be proud!

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:17 PM
geAWmDCWYXQ

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:18 PM
sgbwLWwPZvM&feature=related

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:19 PM
qLcrJNthxM0&feature=related

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:20 PM
5DYFHHjSxAA&feature=related