PDA

View Full Version : Breast augmentation patients three times more suicide-prone

Okla-homey
5/8/2010, 03:23 PM
study suggest chicks with "issues" more likely to have boob jobs.

Breast implants linked with suicide in study

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Women who get cosmetic breast implants are nearly three times as likely to commit suicide as other women, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

The study, published in the Annals of Plastic Surgery, reinforces several others that have shown women who have breast enlargements have higher suicide risks.

Loren Lipworth of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Tennessee and colleagues followed up on 3,527 Swedish women who had cosmetic breast implant surgery between 1965 and 1993. They looked at death certificates to analyze causes of death among women with breast implants.

Only 24 of the women had committed suicide after an average of 19 years, but this worked out to triple the risk compared to the average population, they reported. Doctors who perform cosmetic breast surgery may want to monitor patients closely or screen them for suicide risk, Lipworth said.

"The increased risk of suicide was not apparent until 10 years after implantation," the researchers wrote.

Lipworth said she believes that some women who get implants may have psychiatric problems to start with, perhaps linked with lower self-esteem or body image disorders.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0836919020070808?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true

MR2-Sooner86
5/8/2010, 03:32 PM
So...depression clinics and suicide hotlines are good places to pick up women?

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
5/8/2010, 05:19 PM
Homey, you really should stop thinking about boobs.

delhalew
5/8/2010, 07:00 PM
Homey, you really should stop thinking about boobs.

Says Dikezilla.

Okla-homey
5/8/2010, 07:28 PM
Non-reconstructive (cosmetic) boob jobs are the only kind of surgery of which I'm aware in which human women in the West undergo an elective, invasive procedure with all the attendant risks, purely to please males.

It's wacky.

Kinda perplexed why the feminist movement hasn't weighed-in against them.

BTW, did you know that the state-administered health care systems in several European countries allow government-paid cosmetic boob jobs? They also cover the surgical revision that is generally required 15-20 years down the road after the initial insertion of the saline or silicone envelopes.

The whole dealio is very intriguing from a sociological, political and psychological perspective.

bluedogok
5/8/2010, 07:50 PM
Non-reconstructive (cosmetic) boob jobs are the only kind of surgery of which I'm aware in which human women in the West undergo an elective, invasive procedure with all the attendant risks, purely to please males.

It's wacky.

It isn't just augmentation and most of the time I don't think it is strictly "because of males", in most people that I have known who got them it was more about self-esteem issues than I would say male induced. Most had no problem getting the attention of males, many males usually but they always felt their was something missing. In most cases I didn't think they needed "enhancement".

BTW, did you know that the state-administered health care systems in several European countries allow government-paid cosmetic boob jobs? They also cover the surgical revision that is generally required 15-20 years down the road after the initial insertion of the saline or silicone envelopes.

The whole dealio is very intriguing from a sociological, political and psychological perspective.
I think some of the South American countries do the same thing to an even greater extent and covering more forms of plastic surgery.

Crucifax Autumn
5/8/2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah, but if they jump off a bridge they bounce or float.

sooner59
5/9/2010, 12:19 AM
In Australia, if a woman that is in the army wants a boob job, the army will pay for it. They believe it boosts female confidence if the female desires it, which leads to a better field combatant. Learned that on MANswers. :D

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 07:55 AM
So if you are sitting there telling someone that you are in a very stable relationship and that things have never been better and your significant other has had a boob job....you are really sleeping with a ticking time bomb.

Sounds like some folks may need Ambien to help with sleep....lol

Okla-homey
5/9/2010, 08:05 AM
It isn't just augmentation and most of the time I don't think it is strictly "because of males", in most people that I have known who got them it was more about self-esteem issues than I would say male induced. Most had no problem getting the attention of males, many males usually but they always felt their was something missing. In most cases I didn't think they needed "enhancement".

I guess what I'm trying to say, is whether couched in "self-esteem" terms or not, in the end, there really isn't any substantive difference in a Western woman buying a cosmetic boob job from that Asian practice of using brass rings to lengthen the neck or the African practice of inserting disks in the lower lip to stretch it. They are all about complying with the female body ideal as held by men. As further evidenced by the fact generally only "straight" women buy fake boobs.

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 08:17 AM
What do ghey women buy?:D

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 08:02 PM

...they have. They don't like them.

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 08:50 PM
I've never really understood why girls get boob jobs, and I'm even a bit on the mammary-challenged side. To me, it just makes them look like they've gained a bunch of weight, and I've never seen any that don't just scream "BOOB JOB". Now, I'd love to have some lipo if I ever had the extra $$, I think you all know by now I'm obsessed with my trunk having too much junk, and it'd be great if they could Hoover some of that out. No thanks on the boobies, though.

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 09:01 PM
I've never really understood why girls get boob jobs, and I'm even a bit on the mammary-challenged side. To me, it just makes them look like they've gained a bunch of weight, and I've never seen any that don't just scream "BOOB JOB". Now, I'd love to have some lipo if I ever had the extra $$, I think you all know by now I'm obsessed with my trunk having too much junk, and it'd be great if they could Hoover some of that out. No thanks on the boobies, though.

I don't get it either. And after watching video of liposuction, there is no way I would ever do that, oh hell no. They cut a little slit in your abdomen, then they stick this wand up in you and inject stuff that's supposed to turn the fat to liquid and then they basically jam a vacuum cleaner hose up inside you and scrape it around under the skin to suck the fat out. It's violent and painful looking and then you hurt and ooze for days. GAH. :eek:

SunnySooner
5/9/2010, 09:14 PM
I've had so many surgeries, I could deal with that. It only hurts for a little while, but you have a skinny caboose for years. But it's a moot point. I have kids, therefore, I will never have extra money.:mad: :D

TUSooner
5/10/2010, 12:44 PM
Translation: I LIKE TITTIES !!!

stoopified
5/10/2010, 03:05 PM
This thread is truly worthlesswithout pics. :)

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 03:27 PM
Im sure they almost 100% sure to get a Devorce also :pop:

C&CDean
5/10/2010, 03:49 PM
...they have. They don't like them.

I guess I'm a feminist then.

There's been a lot of threads on here about fake titties. I'd have to say better than half (or maybe even more) of the guys on here go all stupid over them. These are the same guys that have blowup dolls or portable vajayjays they carry around on business trips.

I simply don't see the point. I'm going to undergo surgery to stick plastic bags in my tits so they look abnormal as hell so I feel better about myself and can impress a couple of knuckleheads? Right. Wrong. Those big, round muskmelon fake hooters are a major turnoff to me. They're like internal tramp stamps.

badger
5/10/2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe this isn't about beauty emotional issues.

Giant boobs add weight. Weight makes your back sore.

Gentlemen, have you ever been happy when your back is sore?

Simple as that. Get back massages frequently or you are going to be sad.

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 04:19 PM
If I ever remarried and bot her some fake tittays , gonna be a Pretit agreement

Im gonna get visitation every 2 weeks or we gonna split em up between us if we get devorced

SunnySooner
5/10/2010, 05:31 PM
A friend of mine had to have a double mastectomy last year, and she had HUGE boobs, way too big for her height/frame. Anyway, she had reconstructive surgery afterwards and told her Dr. she wanted to be no more than a small C cup--that was it, no bigger. He tried and tried to talk her into a bigger size, but she was adamant, and ended up more of a full C/small D, which was still more than she wanted but a fraction of what she had before. She said it was the best thing she'd ever done, she LOVES her new "small" boobs, and wishes now she'd had them reduced years ago. It makes her look so much thinner, even though she hasn't really lost any weight, and she says it's so much easier to buy clothes, find bras that fit, her back doesn't hurt anymore, she doesn't have grooves in her shoulders all the time from the straps, etc., etc., etc.

I just really don't think these girls that go in and get the BIG implants really know what they're getting in to, and then once they know, it's too late. That would be pretty depressing.

the_ouskull
5/10/2010, 05:36 PM
In Australia, if a woman that is in the army wants a boob job, the army will pay for it. They believe it boosts female confidence if the female desires it, which leads to a better field combatant. Learned that on MANswers. :D

You had me until MANswers.

Actually, it ticks me that you said MANswers, 'cause I was coming on this thread to post, basically, what you said. I don't watch that show, really, though.

But, this can be approached from a number of perspectives...

1) the girls who don't need boob jobs are likely to have had either boobs that are sufficient, or they make up for any "boob-issues" that may have developed in someone else with another outstanding body part. (Or, in Guyentific (MY word, don't jack it without credit) terms: How often do you see a really, really flat chick that doesn't have a pretty nice arse?)

2) there is also a portion of the population for whom the most majestic boobs in all of the land, boobs that sang like angels and dispensed tasty cold beer, would not raise their attractiveness from a 1 to a 2, or a 2 to a 3, etc... Those girls have no "boob issues" because their chest is usually the least of their worries.

3) the girls who want boob jobs, but can't afford them - what with all of the financing, etc... going on now days.. probably, even subconsciously, don't want them. Maybe they're scared of the surgery; or of what Relative X, or Friend Y, or Co-Worker Z will say, and they're more scared of that than they are depressed about their body image. I get that, too. Women are catty. A pair of fake boobs could look absolutely perfect on a girl; completely rounding-out her "look," in a way her natural chest never did - making her happy, and making her look "right" again... and some catty b*tch will p*ss all over it, like, "I didn't have to get boobs to be happy," or some crap. There's always going to be the "grass is greener, but there's no way I'm taking the leap" crowd, but they still have to be accounted for, no?

4) the weakest of the groups... the girls that don't need boob jobs, but want them 'cause that's what girls do. They're a DD, and they want to be an H, for example. But, that's just an example. That's H for Heidi, by the way. Idiot. These are the girls that start the whole trickle-down thing in the first place. When some girl who is already lacking in confidence to begin with starts seeing girls as attractive as some of the girls on TV getting boob jobs, when they didn't even need them in the first place, then what's going to go through that little girl's head in regards to her chances to "making it" in this world?

There's a lot more to it than just "she should do it" or "she shouldn't do it," and most people don't realize that.

...but I do, ladies. That's right. If you're thinking about getting yourself taken care of, then feel free to consult me, for a nominal one-time fee, and I'll let you have my professional opinion. (And yes, that was all crap except for maybe the "professional" part, but I'll leave that decision to more capable lawmakers...)

Oh, there is ONE more group to discuss...

The women who are blessed with an abundance of goodness, and choose to have it ripped from them in an untimely manner, similar to Macduff, without the melodrama.

Those ladies, as far as I, and karma, are concerned, are on their own. I mean, if I was born with a "get out of paying for sh*t" card stapled to my chest, I'd probably leave it there. That's all I'm saying...

the_ouskull

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 05:43 PM
Sunny , I gots an idea .
Maybe we can get rich
WE invent Fake Boobies made out of Helium. that way they Big and Dont never Sag

homerSimpsonsBrain
5/10/2010, 08:56 PM
What do ghey women buy?:D

Snap-On Tools!! :D

the_ouskull
5/10/2010, 09:28 PM
Sunny , I gots an idea .
Maybe we can get rich
WE invent Fake Boobies made out of Helium. that way they Big and Dont never Sag

It'll never work. Guys don't want to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks after huffing on some boobie.

the_ouskull

Stitch Face
5/10/2010, 09:33 PM
I think you all know by now I'm obsessed with my trunk having too much junk

Go on...

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 10:13 PM
It'll never work. Guys don't want to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks after huffing on some boobie.

the_ouskull

Well hell :mad:

King Barry's Back
5/11/2010, 07:25 AM
Okla-Homey, you are all kinds of wrong.

You said: Non-reconstructive (cosmetic) boob jobs are the only kind of surgery of which I'm aware in which human women in the West undergo an elective, invasive procedure with all the attendant risks, purely to please males.

I am sorry to have to admit it, but surveys show that many, maybe most, women who have elective, cosmetic surgeries do it to either please themselves (make them feel more adequate as human beings), or to please other women whom they believe are judging them. "Jenny's soooo fat. And Chrissy has no boobs!

You said: Kinda perplexed why the feminist movement hasn't weighed-in against them.

Feminists have weighed in against boob jobs for at least 25 years. Where have you been? It's just one more reason I hate feminists.

You said: BTW, did you know that the state-administered health care systems in several European countries allow government-paid cosmetic boob jobs? They also cover the surgical revision that is generally required 15-20 years down the road after the initial insertion of the saline or silicone envelopes.

On this point, as I live in Germany, I have to say "Bravo!"