PDA

View Full Version : Holy Guacamole!

Oldnslo
5/7/2010, 09:16 PM
Need a recipe. I've searched our forum AND epicurean.com. I didn't find anything here, and the bozos at the other place had recipes adding mayo.

I kid you not. Adding mayo to beautifuls avacados to make a goo.

Can somebody please give me a sox off knocking recipe for guac?

SCOUT
5/7/2010, 09:46 PM
This is one I have used form Cook's illustrated. It isn't too fancy, but it is good. I have added a little cumin to it as well.

INGREDIENTS
2 small avocados , ripe, (preferably Haas)
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1 small clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press
1/2 small jalapeņo chile , minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
Table salt
1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Halve 1 avocado, remove pit, and scoop flesh into medium bowl. Using fork, mash lightly with onion, garlic, jalapeņo, cilantro, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until just combined.

2. Halve and pit remaining avocado. Using a dinner knife, carefully make 1/2-inch cross-hatch incisions in flesh, cutting down to but not through skin, (see illustrations below). Using a soupspoon, gently scoop flesh from skin; transfer to bowl with mashed avocado mixture. Sprinkle lime juice over and mix lightly with fork until combined but still chunky. Adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary, and serve. (Can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto surface of mixture, and refrigerated up to 1 day. Return guacamole to room temperature, removing plastic wrap just before serving.)

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 09:50 PM
Here's a decent traditional one.

Guacamole en Molcajete from Diana Kennedy, The Art of Mexican Cooking. Ms. Kennedy notes that proper guacamole should be made in a molcajete and the mixture should remain "lumpy" not smooth.

She also discourages the use of lime juice (to keep the avocado from browning) because she feels it spoils the balance of flavors.

I N G R E D I E N T S
3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
4 chiles serranos
2 rounded tablespoons cilantro
scant 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 large avocados
2/3 cup tomatoes, finely chopped, not peeled

Topping
2 tablespoons white onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoons heaped, finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons finely chopped tomatoes

I N S T R U C T I O N S
If possible use a molcajete to prepare your guacamole. Grind the onion, fresh chiles, cilantro, and salt to a rough paste. Cut the avocados in half, remove pits (do not discard), and scoop out the flesh with a wooden spoon. Mash the flesh roughly into the chile mixture, turning the mixture over so that the seasoning is well distributed.

Stir in the chopped tomato, and sprinkle the top of the guacamole with the extra onion, cilantro, and tomato.

Place the pits back into it for a nice effect and serve immediately or within 15 minutes in the molcajete. If you are using a blender, blend the base, turn it into a dish, and continue as a above.

Serve - In the US it is common to serve guacamole with tortilla chips. However, in Mexico, the proper way to serve guacamole is inside a fresh, warm, corn tortilla.

delhalew
5/7/2010, 10:15 PM

Guacamole en Molcajete from Diana Kennedy, The Art of Mexican Cooking. Ms. Kennedy notes that proper guacamole should be made in a molcajete and the mixture should remain "lumpy" not smooth.

She also discourages the use of lime juice (to keep the avocado from browning) because she feels it spoils the balance of flavors.

I N G R E D I E N T S
4 chiles serranos
3 large avocados

Topping

I N S T R U C T I O N S
If possible use a molcajete to prepare your guacamole. Grind the onion, fresh chiles, cilantro, and salt to a rough paste. Cut the avocados in half, remove pits (do not discard), and scoop out the flesh with a wooden spoon. Mash the flesh roughly into the chile mixture, turning the mixture over so that the seasoning is well distributed.

Stir in the chopped tomato, and sprinkle the top of the guacamole with the extra onion, cilantro, and tomato.

Place the pits back into it for a nice effect and serve immediately or within 15 minutes in the molcajete. If you are using a blender, blend the base, turn it into a dish, and continue as a above.

Serve - In the US it is common to serve guacamole with tortilla chips. However, in Mexico, the proper way to serve guacamole is inside a fresh, warm, corn tortilla.

This is the one closest to what I do. I don't use lime juice, but I do use some lemon. You can use jalapeno or serrano. You must have cilantro. Roma tomatoes are the best. Remove the seeds and pulp and use the red portion. Red onion is best. In addition to salt, you can use a very small amount of cumin and cayanne. A little garlic never hurts either.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 11:35 PM

I N G R E D I E N T S
4 chiles serranos
3 large avocados

Topping

I N S T R U C T I O N S

I like this, though I tend to add a bit of garlic and ditch the tomatoes entirely (just makes the guacamole watery if it sits too long. Plus I don't like raw tomatoes.)

Oldnslo
5/8/2010, 10:04 AM
thanks, y'all! I knew I could count on the SO!

StoopTroup
5/8/2010, 10:31 AM
Mostly
South-oval
Guacamole

olevetonahill
5/8/2010, 10:38 AM
A fast and simple one bro

2 avacodos
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Pace or yer favorite Picante sauce ( I make my own )
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

Season it with some Cajun Seasoning

fast easy and dayum good .

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 09:10 PM
2 avocados
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
half a bunch of cilantro, chopped finely
zest and juice of two limes
1-2 tsp. Sriracha sauce, to taste (because I like spicy stuff, but I don't like raw peppers)
a pinch of kosher salt
maybe a Tbsp. minced onion

...dammit, now i'm hungry.

achiro
5/9/2010, 09:18 PM
Put in chopped onion, tomato, lime juice then add this to taste: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jyAnvsIeL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Super easy and about the best guac I've ever tasted.

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 09:23 PM
:les: THAT'S CHEATING!

achiro
5/10/2010, 09:57 AM
:les: THAT'S CHEATING!

Yes, but it tastes VERY good. :D

NormanPride
5/10/2010, 10:09 AM
avocado
lime juice
garlic
salt
cilantro

That's if you want it as a side or something. If it's a prominent part of the meal, then add onion, tomato, and some sort of chile pepper.

delhalew
5/10/2010, 10:11 AM
As far as the turning brown, the citrus juice seems to help. It will, however, still turn unless you do this. Put your leftovers in your container of choice. Take cling wrap and cover, but push it down to cover the SURFACE of the guac. Then put your lid on.

proud gonzo
5/10/2010, 11:30 AM
and if you leave the avocado pits in there, it's supposed to help keep it from turning brown.

olevetonahill
5/10/2010, 11:47 AM
As far as the turning brown, the citrus juice seems to help. It will, however, still turn unless you do this. Put your leftovers in your container of choice. Take cling wrap and cover, but push it down to cover the SURFACE of the guac. Then put your lid on.

Whats this "Leftover" stuff yer talking about ?

1890MilesToNorman
5/10/2010, 11:55 AM

Mother's Day chicken fired steak I cooked for Mom yesterday. :D It's her favorite.

delhalew
5/10/2010, 12:42 PM
and if you leave the avocado pits in there, it's supposed to help keep it from turning brown.

I often cut an avocado in half lenthwise and make 1/4 inch slices lenthwise. I use these for turkey sandwiches and what not. Leaving the pit in the unused half does help it stay good. Keeping air off of it is the key though.

delhalew
5/10/2010, 12:45 PM

FTW