PDA

View Full Version : Playing OU Football in Texas

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/7/2010, 09:09 PM
This from another OU fan, on another OU fan board:

"Every decision Castiglione makes at Oklahoma starts with the question: How does this maximize our revenue?"

This short-sighted approach is EXACTLY what's wrong with Oklahoma football. I'll mention one example. Giving up a home game in Norman to go play BYU at Jerry's World was a business decision. Great. You not only lose the game, you lose your Heisman Trophy QB, which sets the tone for a nightmare of a season: finishing 8-5 in a year many thought you were a top 5 team. If the game had been played in Norman is the separated shoulder Sam Bradford suffered far less severe considering it would have happened on natural grass? And would it have even happened given the different venue? And might the Sooners have actually pulled the game out anyway? So in the short term, you gain a few more bucks; in the long term, you throw away your season and the opportunity to play in a much higher (paying) bowl, which actually COSTS you money.

The question the AD should be asking first is simple: what gives the football program the best opportunity for success?

The Sooners are already throwing away a home game every other year (and a big one): Texas. Home games are sacred and should be valued and kept at all costs. I remember at mid-season watching the Sooners play and seeing the OU logo at mid-field and commenting to a friend how strange it looked after all the road games.

The AD should have vision and an ability to look beyond the carrot in front of his nose. As the landscape of college conferences is about to shift, it appears once again Oklahoma is clueless in looking out for its best interests. OU fans have discovered what Arkansas fans learned many decades ago: being involved in a conference with Texas schools is suicide, at least if you care about getting a fair shake. The Big 8 -- minus Texas -- served Oklahoma well. What I'm suggesting here is that the Sooners don't have to be tied to Texas and go along with whatever they want to do; instead, Castilgione should be thinking outside the box and making all the necessary calls to put the Sooners in a stronger position -- winding up in a better conference and actually having more input in to how the conference is run.

Shall I be clearer? Let's find ourselves in a better position than allowing 80% of the refs to come from our rival state. Let's avoid having a referee call an OU-Texas game who lives in Austin. Let's not have a championship game every other year in our rival state. Let's not have the conference offices in our rival state.

OU may be a smaller market. And certainly that has its disadvantages. But the people that make decisions affecting the football program's well being shouldn't forget that Oklahoma on the field has a better tradition than anyone down in Texas -- including the Longhorns -- and its fans and the coaches and players who offer their blood and sweat deserve to be given the best opportunity to succeed -- and not just line the pockets of those in the Sooner shadows.

soonerloyal
5/7/2010, 09:26 PM
The question the AD should be asking first is simple: what gives the football program the best opportunity for success?

If we only concentrated on that in its simplest form, we'd go for a pansy-arsed schedule every year...sorta like some of the other teams mentioned in that post. Then we wouldn't be OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL.

Part of OU's stellar legendary dynasty is that of a tough, competitive "we-don't-take-the-pushover-schedules" attitude.
I hate that it's all about the Benjamins with everything. But easy isn't going to cut it for the Sooners.

Some good reading, though - thanks.

5/7/2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks! You've been kiester-sittin' since that Rachel Maddow woman been hanging around. What gives?

soonerloyal
5/7/2010, 09:53 PM
Bad migraines, man. I'm gettin' too old for this carp. :(

yermom
5/7/2010, 09:54 PM
yeah, the Big 12 sure is hard for OU to win

soonerloyal
5/7/2010, 09:56 PM
I gotta admit, though...next time we play at Jerry World (if), I'm gonna be as nervous as a blind cat in a roomful of methheads in rockin' chairs.

oudavid1
5/7/2010, 09:59 PM
We have 6 home games this year, And the RRR should never leave Dallas....is that not enough? and BYU was an opportunity to play the first college game in Jerry World which is very historic considering this stadium will be considered one of the most extravagant. WE didnt give up any home games this year so i dont see the point, what am i missing?

htownsooner7
5/7/2010, 10:00 PM
Got news for you buddy. If we can't beat BYU at a "neutral" site, then we have no business in the national contender conversation. And by neutral I mean way more OU fans than opposing. As for the money, I think it was a great event, although I hate Jerry Jones. Anyways, our AD's quest for national exposure is a valid one. And no, we don't need to schedule a bunch of weaksisters and play them at home.

5/7/2010, 10:07 PM
yeah, the Big 12 sure is hard for OU to winYou just like that g*****n Cotton Bowl and all those texas freakin' refs.

yankee
5/7/2010, 10:12 PM
If the game had been played in Norman is the separated shoulder Sam Bradford suffered far less severe considering it would have happened on natural grass? And would it have even happened given the different venue? And might the Sooners have actually pulled the game out anyway?

if only ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

or however that saying goes.

ndpruitt03
5/7/2010, 10:14 PM
I don't care where we play or who we play. We should win every game we play. Last years team just wasn't that good.

5/7/2010, 10:15 PM
if only ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

or however that saying goes.Don't you live INSIDE Jerry World?

yankee
5/7/2010, 10:17 PM
Don't you live INSIDE Jerry World?

wut?

5/7/2010, 10:27 PM
Don't you live INSIDE Jerry World?Isn't Southlake uncommonly close to Jerry World?

yankee
5/7/2010, 10:34 PM
Isn't Southlake uncommonly close to Jerry World?

about 20 minutes. it pains me every time i go there, because i know i'm making jerry's pockets that much deeper. hopefully in the future, it's just for more OU Big 12 championship wins. :D

Salt City Sooner
5/7/2010, 10:50 PM
Let's avoid having a referee call an OU-Texas game who lives in Austin.
He's obviously talking about Bible & Christal with this. Thing is, Christal's last RRS was 1999, while Bible's last one was 2003, & last I checked, OU bent UT over so badly in that one that they could see their own butt from between their legs.

Paranoia rocks.

yermom
5/7/2010, 11:08 PM
about 20 minutes. it pains me every time i go there, because i know i'm making jerry's pockets that much deeper. hopefully in the future, it's just for more OU Big 12 championship wins. :D

i'd much rather be in the Alamodome

but Alrington is a much better drive

5/8/2010, 01:52 AM
He's obviously talking about Bible & Christal with this. Thing is, Christal's last RRS was 1999, while Bible's last one was 2003, & last I checked, OU bent UT over so badly in that one that they could see their own butt from between their legs.

Paranoia rocks.So, it's your contention that without Bible and Christal, the officiating must have been fair in other RRS games? Prolly oughta watch the games.

Salt City Sooner
5/8/2010, 11:16 AM
Haven't missed a game for 30 years, but thanks for your concern.

Have there been crappy calls for UT? Sure. There've been some go in OU's favor as well. My point was that those 2 or living in Austin didn't have a thing to do with it. I.E.; it was Karl Richins crew who made those questionable at best roughing calls in '08 & he lives in Salt Lake City, not to mention the fact that it was his first year in the conference,

BoulderSooner79
5/8/2010, 11:47 AM
The OU-UT game at the cotton bowl is one of the best sporting events in the country. Home and home wouldn't be the end of the world, but as a fan, I'd sure miss the 50 yard line divided crowd.

mehip
5/8/2010, 11:55 AM
The reffing in the RRS has always sucked.

As far as playing BYU at JerryWorld goes, **** happens. Things would have been different if our D could have gotten off the field on those 3rd downs on that last BYU drive or our o-line wasn't in the triage unit.

I like the bold scheduling and an 8-5 season could have been worse considering how bad our o-line was, how bad our receivers as a group were at the beginning of the season, how bad our field goal kicking was all season, the poor play we got from the tight ends until the last few games, and how bad our running game looked all season. I'd much rather see a team step up and play a difficult schedule instead of playing Bill Synder's cream-puffs.

oudavid1
5/8/2010, 12:24 PM
The OU-UT game at the cotton bowl is one of the best sporting events in the country. Home and home wouldn't be the end of the world, but as a fan, I'd sure miss the 50 yard line divided crowd.

YEAH!!!!!

5/8/2010, 01:08 PM
Haven't missed a game for 30 years, but thanks for your concern.

Have there been crappy calls for UT? Sure. There've been some go in OU's favor as well. My point was that those 2 or living in Austin didn't have a thing to do with it. I.E.; it was Karl Richins crew who made those questionable at best roughing calls in '08 & he lives in Salt Lake City, not to mention the fact that it was his first year in the conference,Two points: 1) we(OU) have almost always gotten way more bad calls in that game than the cows. Coincidence? of course not. 2)Bible and Christal or whomever weren't the only perps. It's a guarantee that OU plays against more than the whorn team when we play that game. IMHO

bluedogok
5/8/2010, 01:12 PM
For the past three years they have used a combined officials group of several different conferences instead of just "Big 12 officials". That is why we have seen Cristal and Bible much less in watching Big 12 games. The old "Big 12 refs" is pretty much a thing of the past.

delhalew
5/8/2010, 01:35 PM
What kind of goober doesn't realize that Castiglione is one of the best ADs in the biz and without his leadership it is quite possible we would not have Stoops.

5/8/2010, 02:06 PM
What kind of goober doesn't realize that Castiglione is one of the best ADs in the biz and without his leadership it is quite possible we would not have Stoops.I donb't even think the author of that first post in this thread was saying Castiglione should be canned-just that he should be open to suggestions for adjustment of philosophy.

goingoneight
5/9/2010, 01:47 AM
Ummm... isn't Joe C. like one of the dead last people to knock concerning OU's success?

5/9/2010, 03:16 AM
Ummm... isn't Joe C. like one of the dead last people to knock concerning OU's success?We(you?) could go after Jeff Capel?