PDA

View Full Version : The cricket thread!

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 06:37 PM
despite a complete lack of popular demand. :O

I have been listening to the Twenty20 world champies from Barbados and county cricket from England while I work. It's kind of like a little vacation of the mind. Does anyone have even the slightest interest in this game?

<crickets chirping> (pun intended)

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 06:39 PM
I don't even have the faintest idea how cricket is played. Cricket makes marginally less sense than Australian-rules football, and THAT'S saying something. ;)

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 06:42 PM
I don't even have the faintest idea how cricket is played. Cricket makes marginally less sense than Australian-rules football, and THAT'S saying something. ;)

SO you've never hoiked one to deep fine leg for a six, have you? :D

me neither

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 08:19 PM
I used to watch it when I was stationed in Japan and we received ESPN Hong Kong.

I liked it when the upper level national teams played, say: Pakistan -v- India, England -v- Australia that kind of thing. I actually think it's a great deal more interesting than baseball once you understand the nuance involved. Of course I'd rather watch paint dry than watch baseball. :D

TUSooner
5/9/2010, 10:47 PM
I used to watch it when I was stationed in Japan and we received ESPN Hong Kong.

I liked it when the upper level national teams played, say: Pakistan -v- India, England -v- Australia that kind of thing. I actually think it's a great deal more interesting than baseball once you understand the nuance involved. Of course I'd rather watch paint dry than watch baseball. :D

I confess I read your first line as "I used to watch it when I was STONED in Japan." :O Probaby a good way to watch it. :D

And it does require patience and attention to nuance to be enjoyed.

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 10:48 PM
I had a Top Secret SCI clearance while stationed in Japan. Even if so inclined to be stoned we were tested quite regularly. :D

fivedrunkduck
5/20/2010, 10:58 PM
I've heard much about cricket, but never see people in my country playing it...it is not popular here

TUSooner
5/28/2010, 08:05 PM
I would say the biggest news in world cricket today is the pitiful state of the West Indies. They've just lost 5 straight limited-overs games to S. Africa (2 T20s and 3 ODIs). They bowled and defender very well at times, but completely sucked with the bats at every turn. They batted last each time, and always failed in the chase; no run target was too low for them to avoid reaching. Their Captain, Chris Gayle, has played like dog turds in the crease. And they just had that nasty strike last year or so. Except for a few sharp players, they're just pitiful. Maybe in the 5-day tests they can manage to save something.