PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Jackson: How we wrecked the ocean

Fraggle145
5/7/2010, 02:31 PM
Jeremy Jackson: How we wrecked the ocean

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_jackson.html

This is a pretty good talk by Jeremy Jackson (http://cmbc.ucsd.edu/People/Faculty_and_Researchers/jackson/) about how humans have negatively affected the ocean.

soonervegas
5/7/2010, 04:03 PM
Our childern's children are going to think we were pretty lame not to proactively address our own issues. We are leaving it up to them on multiple levels. Economy, environment, etc.

Leroy Lizard
5/7/2010, 04:04 PM
He probably wouldn't be a fan of my plan to bury radioactive material wastes in the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Leroy Lizard
5/7/2010, 04:05 PM
Our childern's children are going to think we were pretty lame not to proactively address our own issues. We are leaving it up to them on multiple levels. Economy, environment, etc.

No, they will be posting in message boards how much of a shame it is that they don't want to anything about the problem either.

That vid was boring.

Ike
5/7/2010, 04:49 PM
I liked the talk, but I disagree with his final solution. We are never going to change ourselves. But we can change how we look at things. This is a classical "tragedy of the commons" type of scenario, of which there are various solutions (especially on the overfishing and biological pollution sides of it...There are solutions for the global warming part, but those are even more contentious politically) depending on your political/philosophical ideology.

The trick is figuring out which one(s) we want to enact and doing it.

OklahomaTuba
5/7/2010, 04:56 PM
Does he discuss Mike's Nature Trick at all??

Or how to successfully fudge and create false temperature data in excel until required outcomes are reached???

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 05:27 PM
I'm fixin to grill some salmon.

Fraggle145
5/8/2010, 02:00 AM
Ike to some extent I agree... but i think the solution will come when we can change ourselves with a technology that makes it that way. If that makes sense.

Curly, I'm all for grilling salmon, its ****ing delicious... the question is where is it from? Salmon fished from Alaskan waters, for the most part, is sustainably fished. farmed salmon significantly ****s up the environment, both with additional nutrients and by causing disease in native runs. Native/natural fish in my opinion taste better anyway.

Tuba, you are just being a jack ***. If you aren't going to at least look at the original submission then your contribution is worthless. Take your one sided political bull **** some place else.

Flagstaffsooner
5/8/2010, 04:15 AM
He probably wouldn't be a fan of my plan to bury radioactive material wastes in the bottom of the Marianas Trench.Quit that. The MT is resereved for whorns with cement overshoes.

StoopTroup
5/8/2010, 08:21 AM
Does he discuss Mike's Nature Trick at all??

Or how to successfully fudge and create false temperature data in excel until required outcomes are reached???

There are always people who use a clock to tell time and there are others that learned you could strap it to an explosive and really do harmful things.

I prefer to be happy that someone thought of both things before I arrived and that someone will make sure that the explosive use of a clock is deemed illegal and if you are caught using one for such purposes...you go to jail.

False Temperature Data seems like one of those things that will eventually shake out Right or Wrong given you take time to study all of the angles instead of focusing obsessively on one person's theory.

Leroy Lizard
5/8/2010, 09:06 AM
Quit that. The MT is resereved for whorns with cement overshoes.

They can peacefully coexist with cesium and strontium.