PDA

View Full Version : Where is Mark Mangino?

badger
5/7/2010, 08:58 AM
With all the talk on Leach's lawsuit, has anyone seen the OTHER ex-OU offensive coordinator?

(and yes, I realize that there are going to be 20 bajillion joke responses... maybe I should have posted this on the fark board)

In midst of the jokes, has anyone seriously heard anything about the guy since KU ousted him?

KantoSooner
5/7/2010, 09:46 AM
although I can't reveal my sources, I heard that he's retreated to the mountains of Korea where he has lost 250 lbs on a tea and tofu diet.

He runs 15 miles each morning thorugh the mountains with wild horses and then splits his day between medititation and Tae Kwan Do exercises under the direction of a small, mysterious monk he addresses as 'Master'.

He has grown a moustache that now reaches his chest. And always goes shirtless and barefoot. Even in the snow.

He sleeps standing up, outdoors. Especially in the rain.

When he comes back, he'll be known simply as 'Mak'.

And he'll be in the market for revenge.

KantoSooner
5/7/2010, 09:47 AM
(and yes, I realize that there are going to be 20 bajillion joke responses... maybe I should have posted this on the fark board)

...and you were right!

badger
5/7/2010, 10:36 AM
This was actually a serious question. I have heard nothing about Mark for months, except in reference to his ex-coach status when referring to current coaches and players at KU.

I know that he probably did some things that he shouldn't have (don't we all) and said some things that we shouldn't have (don't we all) but doesn't anyone else care? The big guy helped us win title No. 7.

soonerinabilene
5/7/2010, 10:50 AM
strangely, ever since kfc came out with the double down, i havent heard a word about him.

badger
5/7/2010, 10:58 AM
strangely, ever since kfc came out with the double down, i havent heard a word about him.

omg, that thing looks so gross.

OUMallen
5/7/2010, 11:12 AM
although I can't reveal my sources, I heard that he's become a mountain in Korea

FTFY

KantoSooner
5/7/2010, 11:17 AM
I actually do like the guy.

But the opening for humor was too much to resist.

Flagstaffsooner
5/7/2010, 11:18 AM
Found him!

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/McDonalds-mcdonald-27s-131219_468_698.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2010, 11:20 AM
Speaking of Mangino,

Has anybody else heard that Turner Gill has banned all cursing from practice...Evidently Mangino hurt their feelers with his potty mouth...

badger
5/7/2010, 11:31 AM
Speaking of Mangino,

Has anybody else heard that Turner Gill has banned all cursing from practice...Evidently Mangino hurt their feelers with his potty mouth...

I heard. Here's a NSFW link to a story on it. (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2010/3/16/1376110/turner-gill-bans-cursing-at-kansas)

And here's a work-friendly version here. (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/mar/11/ku-coach-turner-gill-gives-glimpse-his-style-build/)

This is not totally unheard of. Mack Daddy doesn't let his coaches curse either (ya think that rumor about UT players getting coddled during their coaching careers might have started with not getting f-bombed after bad plays? hmmmm).

I recall Bobby Knight saying that he told son Pat to limit cursing, because after awhile, it all blends together for players and it doesn't have any effect.

I think the ideal approach would be to use f-bombs as the panic button - only as a last resort. You use it too often and it just doesn't sink in.

C&CDean
5/7/2010, 01:13 PM
I've been worrying about him for years. I hope he's checked in and had that bypass deal done and is in the process of dropping a couple hundy lbs. The last couple times I saw him he looked terrible.

SunnySooner
5/7/2010, 01:21 PM
I've been worrying about him for years. I hope he's checked in and had that bypass deal done and is in the process of dropping a couple hundy lbs. The last couple times I saw him he looked terrible.

+1, I was always scared he was going to just drop dead during a game.

badger
5/7/2010, 03:47 PM
+1, I was always scared he was going to just drop dead during a game.

The reason I started this thread because I was thinking about how it must have been quite a toll on him to go through the accusations at Kansas.

I mean, why do coaches coach? Do they coach because like that stupid teacher saying goes "those who can't do, teach?" (I disagree with this, btw)

Do coaches coach because of the money? Do coaches coach because of the prestige, the publicity, the game?

Or, do coaches coach because of the relationships they've had with players, other coaches and fans, and knowing that you're helping others out and making a positive impact on lives?

So health issues aside, getting accused of not caring about the well being of others must have crushed him. I heard he was a meanie at times, but the bigger the meanie on the outside, the bigger the teddy bear on the inside, amirite?

So please, anyone that hears anything honest (not joking-wise) about good ol' Mark, let us fans know.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 10:52 PM
Pay tention folks...He's hiding in a dress on the hideout banner.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 10:53 PM

Heh...And CK said YOU'RE the one with the weight problem!

StoopTroup
5/8/2010, 06:52 AM
+1, I was always scared he was going to just drop a duece during a game.

fixed. :D

swardboy
5/8/2010, 10:23 AM
Two reasons you coach: Love of the game and/or power trip.

Leroy Lizard
5/8/2010, 10:44 AM
The reason I started this thread because I was thinking about how it must have been quite a toll on him to go through the accusations at Kansas.

Judging by some of the reports about how he treated some people, he brought a lot of this on himself.

You gotta' treat everyone with respect, not just those you think you need on your side.

cheezyq
5/9/2010, 06:44 PM
Where's Mangino must be a "for Dummies" version of Where's Waldo.

SoonerMom2
5/9/2010, 10:48 PM
When he was coaching at OU and his son 'played' quarterback for Norman North (worst quarterback I have ever seen), he was downright nasty towards anyone around him. One of the games on the UCO campus with one of the Edmond schools he came down near the band cussing after some football parents finally had it with his son always being the quarterback and was downright rudy and nasty to anyone who spoke to him. I swear I could have thrown a ball farther than his son. My opinion of Mangino was not much after witnessing him at NN high school football games. I think I remember reading he decked a ref at one of his son's games in KS.

DakotaSooner
5/12/2010, 10:11 PM
He always seems like he is angry. Has anyone ever seen him smile?.......not counting right after his last meal?

agoo758
5/12/2010, 11:11 PM
Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYpAzNB34

If i were pendleton, I would have deliberately fumbled the football on the next return. Apparently, hes getting chewed out no matter what he does, so might as well have the pleasure of getting your dumbass coach fired.

TahoeSOONER
5/12/2010, 11:27 PM
Mangino is a football coach so don't expect the sugar coating. I wish the man well because his teams seemed well prepared and they always came to play the game hard.

agoo758
5/13/2010, 10:42 AM
Mangino is a football coach so don't expect the sugar coating. I wish the man well because his teams seemed well prepared and they always came to play the game hard.

Fair statement. He definately possesses some good qualities as a coach, but he certainly was not without his shortcomings... and he had many, and I think that kept his team from reaching the next level. I expect Gil to bring KU to that next level.

badger
5/13/2010, 12:43 PM
I expect Gil to bring KU to that next level.

The next level. Hmmm...

Mangino = Compete for the Big 12 North and win BCS bowl

What, exactly, is the next level above this? If you are suggesting that Kansas will now compete for the Big 12 Championship and the National Championship with Gill in charge, lolololololol.

The best KU can hope for under Gill is consistency, because they'll probably never have another season like 2008 under Turner.

MrJimBeam
5/13/2010, 01:35 PM
I expect Gil to bring KU to that next level.

You mean like finally winning an Orange Bowl......,,,.,....oh wait......

stoopified
5/13/2010, 07:47 PM
Holed up at the local Golden Corral all -u-can-eat buffet?

Salt City Sooner
5/13/2010, 09:05 PM
2007 was a perfect storm for KU because in addition to having a good team on their own merits, they had a schedule that would've made BYU '84 blush. Until the Orange Bowl (& I'll go to my grave saying Mizzou took it in the shorts from the selection committee), Central Michigan was the only team they beat all year who won as many as 8 games.

agoo758
5/13/2010, 11:19 PM
l

What, exactly, is the next level above this? If you are suggesting that Kansas will now compete for the Big 12 Championship and the National Championship with Gill in charge, lolololololol.

1. Who says that the next level is the national championship? Under mangino, they only had one season with fewer than five losses ( with one of the weakest schedules in the country) and have underacheived the last two years.

2. Why is the national championship impossible? How about teams like ATM under Slocum and Kansas state under Snyder in the 90's? During that decade, both teams were forces in the big 12 and had a good shot at winning 9 or 10 most of those years. Why would Kansas be any different?

CORNholio
5/15/2010, 06:00 AM
1. Who says that the next level is the national championship? Under mangino, they only had one season with fewer than five losses ( with one of the weakest schedules in the country) and have underacheived the last two years.

2. Why is the national championship impossible? How about teams like ATM under Slocum and Kansas state under Snyder in the 90's? During that decade, both teams were forces in the big 12 and had a good shot at winning 9 or 10 most of those years. Why would Kansas be any different?

Whoa, whoa, slow down. Surely you are not trying to compare KU football to aTm. Apples and Oranges my friend. Feel free to compare them to Snyder's KSU teams but aTm has at least some tradition of being a solid to good team throughout history and a nat championship.

fossil
5/15/2010, 07:02 AM
:) OH, HE'S AROUND (AND AROUND, AND AROUND, ETC.)

HateTheWhorns
5/15/2010, 09:20 AM
Coaches coach because they can't do it anymore as a player (or never could) AND most have a passion for the game. Show me a coach that doesn't fit this criteria and you will be showing me the rare exception. There is a lot of truth to that stupid teacher saying although it is certainly not an absolute truth.

In today's game, another motivating variable has come into the picture and that is $$$. I still think most coaches get to where they are because they played the game, washed out as a player, and have a passion for it.

I mean, why do coaches coach? Do they coach because like that stupid teacher saying goes "those who can't do, teach?" (I disagree with this, btw)

Do coaches coach because of the money? Do coaches coach because of the prestige, the publicity, the game?

Or, do coaches coach because of the relationships they've had with players, other coaches and fans, and knowing that you're helping others out and making a positive impact on lives?

So health issues aside, getting accused of not caring about the well being of others must have crushed him. I heard he was a meanie at times, but the bigger the meanie on the outside, the bigger the teddy bear on the inside, amirite?

So please, anyone that hears anything honest (not joking-wise) about good ol' Mark, let us fans know.

King Barry's Back
5/20/2010, 03:29 AM
Badj,

I can't give a definite answer, but I am going to make an educated guess.

Usually, when coaches are pushed out and get a buy out, they are forbidden from coaching for a number of years. (Remember when Gary Gibbs was forced to sell insurance?)

I am guessing that Coach Mangino is taking a couple of years off, and that we'll see him return as an assistant to one of of his ol' coachin' buddies at some point.

Why do coaches coach? Most of them will explain it by saying that they are "competitive." They have to have the feeling of winning or losing day in and day out.

Bob Stoops will talk about how the Stoops brothers just about beat each other up on sandlots as kids.

A typical job would have little reward for them, because there's no scoreboard.

Collier11
5/20/2010, 03:31 AM
usually they are only forbidden from being a head coach, not an asst

MrJimBeam
5/20/2010, 05:49 AM
How about teams like ATM under Slocum and Kansas state under Snyder in the 90's? During that decade, both teams were forces in the big 12

Those teams were successful because OU sucked. Trace their success and lack-there-of with the fall and rise of OU football.

texaspokieokie
5/20/2010, 07:53 AM
in the 90s,maybe but ksu was good in this C also.

a & M would be a lot better if they still had slocum.

BudSooner
5/24/2010, 10:19 AM
in the 90s,maybe but ksu was good in this C also.

a & M would be a lot better if they still had slocum.
I always liked RC, he always had some dominating defenses and uber talented tailbacks.

These days, not so much. Btw, what has happened to RC? Wasn't he on Fox Sports now and then as an in studio host?

agoo758
5/24/2010, 10:28 AM
Those teams were successful because OU sucked. Trace their success and lack-there-of with the fall and rise of OU football.

That could certainly be a small factor, but wasnt nebraska dominant during the 90's? Why wasn't that an effect? And why hasnt Kansas St. (or even ATM in that matter, despite its location) been able to capitalize on Nebraska's decline?

OU44life
5/24/2010, 10:31 AM
He relocated to Naples, Florida.

BoomerJ
5/24/2010, 10:35 AM
Just saw him at a French restaurant in NY. Overheard him yell at the waiter "fetch me a bucket".

OU44life
5/24/2010, 10:45 AM
here ya go Badger

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may/21/mark-mangino-leaves-lawrence-moves-florida/?sports

goingoneight
5/24/2010, 11:28 AM
Turner Gill is putting together a good staff at KU... but it's just not the easiest place to win. Most KU fans put way too much stock into what happened in the W/L columns rounding out 2009. That team quit on Mangino. Stoops has has teams quit on him before (two bowl games come to mind), he just had the luxury or an off-season to whip their asses back into shape. Mangino doesn't have the talent, nor the other things an OU or a Texas has to bounce back from a bunch of spoiled brats ruining a season. The longtime KU fan can be happy they landed a good hire, but needs to remember that 12-1 and an Orange Bowl win is something many teams would kill for, especially KU. 12-1 isn't the standard at KU (football), it's the exception. It's not a Bill Snyder-esque rags-to-riches story, but Mangino did a LOT better job than most thought he would.

badger
5/24/2010, 03:44 PM
Turner Gill will get the team's attention because he seems to have a different coaching method from Mangino - a more personal, less yelling approach - but hell, that's about what they had before they hired Mangino and players were complaining that they weren't getting pushed enough to be successful.

Did the team quit on Mangino? Yes, but they also quit on the University of Kansas. Losing is not fun and they did nothing but lose after the first five games. They gave up on their coaches, their team, their fans, and their school. The fact that Mangino was verbally abusive? Wouldn't have mattered if KU was still undefeated.

So really, this was just an excuse to get rid of a coach that was no longer effective and losing. The same could be said for Leach to some degree, because while he was winning, Tech decided they'd rather not pay Leach $2 mil for an 8-win season. The same could also be said for Jim Levitt (sp?) at South Florida, who built the program, but the Bulls must have decided that he took the program as far as he could, as he was unceremoniously dumped for about the same excuse.

Mangino's, Leach's and Levitt's firings were not solely the result of player abuse. That was simply an excuse to get rid of someone who had outstayed their welcome with administrators.

To Turner Gill, Skip Holtz and Tommy Tubby - if they are willing to dump coaches that took programs to unparalleled heights during their tenures (KU at 12-1 and winning the Orange Bowl, Tech to a #2 ranking 08, same for South Florida 07), do you really think that they won't do the same thing to you?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Tommy should expect it, because Auburn did it to him, lulz :D

Leroy Lizard
5/24/2010, 06:50 PM
Did the team quit on Mangino? Yes, but they also quit on the University of Kansas. Losing is not fun and they did nothing but lose after the first five games. They gave up on their coaches, their team, their fans, and their school. The fact that Mangino was verbally abusive? Wouldn't have mattered if KU was still undefeated.

Which is a good reason not to become abusive. All coaches go through down times, and if you mistreat others they will come back after you when they see you're down.

What's the old saying: Parachutists don't beat wives who pack their cutes. Well, everyone should treat everyone else like they're packing their chutes. Mangino didn't do that and paid the price.

ashley
5/24/2010, 07:53 PM
Turner Gill is putting together a good staff at KU... but it's just not the easiest place to win. Most KU fans put way too much stock into what happened in the W/L columns rounding out 2009. That team quit on Mangino. Stoops has has teams quit on him before (two bowl games come to mind), he just had the luxury or an off-season to whip their asses back into shape. Mangino doesn't have the talent, nor the other things an OU or a Texas has to bounce back from a bunch of spoiled brats ruining a season. The longtime KU fan can be happy they landed a good hire, but needs to remember that 12-1 and an Orange Bowl win is something many teams would kill for, especially KU. 12-1 isn't the standard at KU (football), it's the exception. It's not a Bill Snyder-esque rags-to-riches story, but Mangino did a LOT better job than most thought he would.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site nad that is saying something. Just one of those dumbass fans that's team lost so they say they must have quit.

Leroy Lizard
5/24/2010, 09:29 PM
I don't agree with his assessment, but I wouldn't say it was the dumbest thing said on here.

Why do I have a feeling that some of MY posts are now going to be mentioned?

G8trGr8t
5/27/2010, 09:30 PM
He relocated to Naples, Florida.

Correct, he lives about three houses down from one of my partners at our firm