PDA

View Full Version : High Fructose Corn Syrup

Czar Soonerov
5/6/2010, 11:55 PM
Since the Princeton study came out (http://www.oromoindex.com/technews/2010/04/12/eating-high-fructose-corn-syrup-worse-than-sugar/), I've noticed a lot of major brands are switching back to real sugar. I think think HFCS may be to blame for the high obesity/Diabetes rates we're weeing these days. They put that stuff in everything. If you haven't seen Food, Inc., you need to check it out, it's a real eye opener.

GottaHavePride
5/6/2010, 11:58 PM
I've been trying to cut down on that crap for a while now.

Good thing there's Jones Soda...

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 12:07 AM
I bought me some Dublin Dr Pepper Sunday night.

Made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 12:08 AM
And HFCS tastes like sh*t by comparison to real sugar.

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2010, 12:09 AM
And HFCS tastes like sh*t by comparison to real sugar.

Yep.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 12:11 AM
Going into the kitchen to pour a glass of Mountain Dew Throwback right now.

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 12:14 AM
Going into the kitchen to pour a glass of Mountain Dew Throwback right now.

I still got some of that, and I think I have some Throwback Pepsi left too. :D

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 12:18 AM
They both taste so much better. Normally I just drink sweet tea, but with these real sugar versions I actually have one or 2 a day compared to one or 2 a month.

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 12:20 AM
Agree the taste of the real sugar is much better -- to me it's a "cleaner" taste.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 12:22 AM
Yep...and it doesn't put that sh8t-like coating in your mouth and throat. The HFCS turns everyone into Linda Lovelace on a busy day.

yankee
5/7/2010, 12:26 AM
funny this thread popped up...just watched King Corn today in one of my classes...very interesting documentary and it talks about the ridiculous amount of corn syrup used in America today (among other things). i recommend the movie for sure. Food Inc is definitely on my to-watch list.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 12:32 AM
They'd soak lettuce in that sh*t if they thought it would save 'em some money and subsidize corn farmers.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 01:07 AM
Just Feed Me

OklahomaTuba
5/7/2010, 10:57 AM
funny this thread popped up...just watched King Corn today in one of my classes...very interesting documentary and it talks about the ridiculous amount of corn syrup used in America today (among other things). i recommend the movie for sure. Food Inc is definitely on my to-watch list.

And fortunately the same statist/command and control system that brought us a never ending supply of this poison and has destroyed our public school system and our manufacturing base now has control over the health care, auto and financial systems.

No doubt we can expect the same glorious track record of success in the long run.

But i'm glad to see this crap go away.

GKeeper316
5/7/2010, 11:10 AM
HFCS has been completely eliminated from my diet for the last 4 years.

ever since i did my own research into this poison.

CatfishSooner
5/7/2010, 11:29 AM
shows how strong the corn lobby is...

IB4OU2
5/7/2010, 11:39 AM
I blame my weeing on to much beer.

Ike
5/7/2010, 11:43 AM
shows how strong the corn lobby is...

It's not just corn/farm policy that makes HFCS the sweetner of choice for major foodmakers. Our policies regarding sugar play an equally large role.

Bottom line: Subsidies for corn + an artifically imposed scarcity of sugar = tons of HFCS.

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 12:01 PM
The Wal Marts had Pepsi Throwback for $3.98 a twelve-pack today. I stocked up.

yermom
5/7/2010, 12:13 PM
freaking hippies caring about what's in your food

Flagstaffsooner
5/7/2010, 12:27 PM
The study was conducted on rats, with one group eating high-fructose corn syrup and the other table sugar (http://www.dietsinreview.com/videos/understanding-sugar/), both with the same calorie count. The rats that ate the high-fructose corn syrup “gained significantly more weight” than the sugar-eating rats.

http://www.darrencarroll.com/files/work/4b756f3f02f65longhorns_offensive_line.jpg

yermom
5/7/2010, 12:49 PM
while we're at it, how about partially hydrogenated vegetable oil?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

silverwheels
5/7/2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, stay away from anything "hydrogenated". The good fats for you are supposed to be a liquid at room temperature as a general guideline.

C&CDean
5/7/2010, 01:04 PM
Alls I know is this: I used to ride my bike up to the Circle K store back in the day and get a Zagnut, Clark, Heath, or a $10,000 candy bar for a nickel a piece. They were sweetened with real sugar. I always wondered why sometime about 40 years ago or so the candy bars started tasting different. HFCS is why. Hell, it's the first ingredient in almost all candy.

I don't drink real soda or eat candy anymore, and don't even eat much (if any) real sugar either. I get my fats through meat, cheese, nuts, and olive oil. I feel much better for it, and am down to a svelte 242 pounds.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 01:10 PM
Alls I know is this: I used to ride my bike up to the Circle K store back in the day and get a Zagnut, Clark, Heath, or a $10,000 candy bar for a nickel a piece. They were sweetened with real sugar. I always wondered why sometime about 40 years ago or so the candy bars started tasting different. HFCS is why. Hell, it's the first ingredient in almost all candy.

I don't drink real soda or eat candy anymore, and don't even eat much (if any) real sugar either. I get my fats through meat, cheese, nuts, and olive oil. I feel much better for it, and am down to a svelte 242 pounds.

.............:pop:

C&CDean
5/7/2010, 01:14 PM
.............:pop:

You got a point boy? Hell, I take ****s bigger'n you.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 01:27 PM
You got a point boy? Hell, I take ****s bigger'n you.

No point, but you just add to the overweight population that gives us the stereotype by others countries thinking we are all fat.

Not trying to be rude, just sayin'.

And you may well take ****s bigger than me, but you will not live that long being at that weight. It's a proven fact you won't.

I think we can all stand to be healthier....

Again, not trying to be rude.

Flagstaffsooner
5/7/2010, 01:30 PM
Real smart guy, pissin the Dean off.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 01:32 PM
Real smart guy, pissin the Dean off.

Why would he be pissed?

Is constructive criticism bad?

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 01:32 PM
Of all the stereotypes Dean contributes to, being fat should be the least of your worries. :D

I've cut out all sodas and most of the sugar in my diet. Unfortunately, holidays tend to deliver sugar into the household and since baj has no interest in the stuff, it ends up in my belly. I have a weird compulsion about not throwing out food, otherwise it'd just go in the trash...

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 01:34 PM
Of all the stereotypes Dean contributes to, being fat should be the least of your worries. :D

I've cut out all sodas and most of the sugar in my diet. Unfortunately, holidays tend to deliver sugar into the household and since baj has no interest in the stuff, it ends up in my belly. I have a weird compulsion about not throwing out food, otherwise it'd just go in the trash...

Unsweetened Iced Tea saved me from soda.

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 01:37 PM
I started with Crystal Light, but I didn't like depending on artificial sweeteners either, so now I pretty much just drink water.

And beer, of course. Duh.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2010, 01:43 PM
I had a heat stroke a few years back that did some damage to the kidneys and liver..the doc said to help them heal up to drink 30 glasses of water a day for a few months..after that, I still probably drink close to 20 a day now

my family has a history of diabetes and different heart conditions, so I havent had a soda in probably 3 years..

thats why Vet always has a case of water waitin on me when I show up

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 01:51 PM
You do realize that his water is Natty, right?

stoops the eternal pimp
5/7/2010, 01:56 PM
:D

actually we make a trade..I take a case of natty for him, he has a case of water for me...

C&CDean
5/7/2010, 02:02 PM
No point, but you just add to the overweight population that gives us the stereotype by others countries thinking we are all fat.

And you may well take ****s bigger than me, but you will not live that long being at that weight. It's a proven fact you won't.

1. Yes you are trying to be rude and you know it smartass.

2. My body fat % is well below average.

3. Muscle is heavier than fat. 242 pounds does not always = obese.

4. What do you weigh?

TMcGee86
5/7/2010, 02:24 PM
about tree fiddy.

TMcGee86
5/7/2010, 02:36 PM
srsly though, I totally agree HFCS is the dayum debbil. I have tried to completely cut it from my diet along with trans fats. I've seen King Corn and it opened my eyes. That crap is in EVERYTHING. It's ridiculous. And I love how we are growing mountains of corn that you can't eat.

tbl
5/7/2010, 02:49 PM
So does beet sugar qualify as regular "sugar"? I believe it does... If so, can anybody tell the flavor difference between beet or cane? Is there a molecular difference? I know there is between HFCS and sugar, but the beet/cane deal isn't clear to me.

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 02:52 PM
Why would I want sugar that's been beaten? :confused:

Oh wait, you said beet sugar. :D

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 03:15 PM
So does beet sugar qualify as regular "sugar"? I believe it does... If so, can anybody tell the flavor difference between beet or cane? Is there a molecular difference? I know there is between HFCS and sugar, but the beet/cane deal isn't clear to me.

As I understand it's all sucrose chemically. The sugar in HFCS is fructose (obviously), and then there are artificial sweeteners like sucralose. Stevia is another sugar substitute as well, but it's natural. From what I understand, their potential health impact is based on what they do to the blood's glucose levels. If you get a big spike from something, that's bad. Artificial sweeteners and stevia are designed to have little to no impact on glucose levels, while still being sweet.

proud gonzo
5/7/2010, 03:31 PM

um... Dean is not fat. He is not adding to an overweight stereotype.

YOU, on the other hand, are adding to the dumbass stereotype. So kudos for that.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 03:55 PM
1. Yes you are trying to be rude and you know it smartass.

2. My body fat % is well below average.

3. Muscle is heavier than fat. 242 pounds does not always = obese.

4. What do you weigh?

Why are you arguing with a CK troll ?

I thot that it was a Perma baine offense to reg a troll or post under a Troll handle when ya been bained .:eek: :confused:

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 04:04 PM
Vet you ain't been payin tention!

SF has become very troll friendly as of late, or maybe always, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority in not having at least one troll to my credit.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 04:27 PM
um... Dean is not fat. He is not adding to an overweight stereotype.

YOU, on the other hand, are adding to the dumbass stereotype. So kudos for that.

LOL i have seen pictures of you.

Glasses and disgustingly ugly.

You fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 04:32 PM

You are one sad little boy

If you ever have the Balls to show up around some of us , you best Make sure Obamacare is in effect to pay yer medical bills .:pop:

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 04:34 PM

If you ever have the Balls to show up around some of us , you best Make sure Obamacare is in effect to pay yer medical bills .:pop:

threats will be reported to my local police department

i may have called you guys fat and ugly but i have never threatened your lives.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 04:53 PM

LMFAO
You got a threat to yer Life out of what I wrote ?
Yer more pathetic than i thot .:D

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 04:55 PM
LMFAO
You got a threat to yer Life out of what I wrote ?
Yer more pathetic than i thot .:D

threat of injury then.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 05:01 PM
threat of injury then.

I didnt say I was gonna Open a can of whoopass on ya
I said Its prolly gonna happen .
I dont care what the **** ya say about ME . But ya go ta runnin yer Punk bitch Mouth about PG and some of the others wives and Kids
Yer prolly gonna get the **** stomped outa ya .
jes sayin
Now run report this post to yer Local PoPO
Pussie :pop:

proud gonzo
5/7/2010, 05:22 PM

I guess the neg saying "jump off a cliff you ugly bitch" was just your way of saying hi, huh?

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 05:23 PM

http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/ban-hamster.jpg

proud gonzo
5/7/2010, 05:24 PM
aww, ain't he cute?

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 05:25 PM
That boy has some serious mental issues :rolleyes:

SoonerInKCMO
5/7/2010, 05:37 PM
And fortunately the same statist/command and control system that brought us a never ending supply of this poison and has destroyed our public school system and our manufacturing base now has control over the health care, auto and financial systems.

Richard Nixon (http://rayshealth.com/fructose-wars-sugar-soda-weight-loss/) was a commie? :confused:

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 06:18 PM

No doubt we can expect the same glorious track record of success in the long run.

But i'm glad to see this crap go away.

Extrapolate much? It's interesting how every problem you can name can be reduced to a result of "big Government" and insidious bolshevism. Very tidy.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/7/2010, 06:53 PM
The Wal Marts had Pepsi Throwback for $3.98 a twelve-pack today. I stocked up.

Curly, I know you are in the area. If you go to the Brookshire's in Anna, you can buy imported Coke from Mexico which is made with sugar instead of HFCS...

StoopTroup
5/7/2010, 07:12 PM
Just reading what CK/KHS has posted in this. I'd say he owes PG an apology at the very least. I can see why someone might threaten him with injury as he thinks being injured physically is the only real abuse evidently. There are many other ways to harm someone as he has shown he doesn't care whether he hurts someone or not. As soon as someone else here has had enough and calls him on it, he hides behind his Internet tough guy persona. It would be funny if I didn't know that it was a cry for help. It's really sad that he continues to be given a platform as what really bothers him is being alone. I'd imagine that nobody will ever hurt him. What I think is gonna happen is....he's gonna end up like David Carridine trying to self gratify himself.

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 08:14 PM
Curly, I know you are in the area. If you go to the Brookshire's in Anna, you can buy imported Coke from Mexico which is made with sugar instead of HFCS...

I've been there a time or two in fact. I'm not a big fan of Coke but if I was I'd be on this.

Of course you mention Coke and Mexico, you could mean a couple of things. ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/7/2010, 08:22 PM
Sam's carries Mexi-Coke as well.

olevetonahill
5/7/2010, 08:29 PM

But is it Imported Legally? Or did it sneak acroos ?

Curly Bill
5/7/2010, 08:30 PM
But is it Imported Legally? Or did it sneak acroos ?

:D

royalfan5
5/7/2010, 09:12 PM
The wide-spread prevalence of HFCS is a direct reaction to subsidies protecting US grown sugar, both beet and cane. When faced with artificially restricted sugar supplies, it became a lot attractive to use a cheaper substitute. US farm policy has traditionally over-subsidized the so-called white commodities (sugar, cotton, rice) compared to other row crops. It should also be noted those three are the least competitive commodities for export as well. While corn production is subsidized, the amount of the United States corn crop that goes into HFCS is a fairly small amount of the whole(4.1% according to the USDA). If we quit using HFCS, we wouldn't grow less corn and the net effects to farmers would be the widening in local basis bids near existing HFCS production facilities, and the removal of a cheap feed source for cattle feeders and dairymen near the plants in the form of wet cake.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 10:20 PM
CK needs to shut up. He's a little teenager and from the best I could tell from his posts back before he got banned everywhere not even his parents want him anymore. I was a dumbazz teeneager once too, but I benerally respected my elders and my parents didn't hate me so much that they threw me out as a child.

tommieharris91
5/7/2010, 10:36 PM
Sam's carries Mexi-Coke as well.

Do they sell orange soda from Mexico too, or do I gotta jump the fence to some of that good stuff?

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 10:39 PM
Fruit nectar, weird flavors of Tang in bags, coconut water, cactus, minnows...

Oh crap...I could go on, but yeah...you can get weird shat in the messican aisle.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 11:39 PM
As I understand it's all sucrose chemically. The sugar in HFCS is fructose (obviously), and then there are artificial sweeteners like sucralose. Stevia is another sugar substitute as well, but it's natural. From what I understand, their potential health impact is based on what they do to the blood's glucose levels. If you get a big spike from something, that's bad. Artificial sweeteners and stevia are designed to have little to no impact on glucose levels, while still being sweet.

Not entirely. From what I've read, fructose is more difficult for the body to process. It has to be broken down in the liver like alcohol, meaning too much fructose (as in HFCS) will give you virtually the same health problems as being an alcoholic. Liver disease, obesity, diabetes, etc.

OU_Sooners75
5/8/2010, 10:07 AM

How do you know he is overweight? because Hollywood said he was?

You do realize that being overweight actually differs from one person to another, right?

Hell, I am overweight, but some accounts by a lot....but to be honest with you I have ZERO health problems. I am 6'6" and 323 pounds.

Last time I had a body fat count it was at 20%. Does that make me overweight or does that make me average in body fat?

Keep in mind average Male body fat count is 23%.

StoopTroup
5/8/2010, 10:21 AM
I was a bouncer in a Blues Club for about six months. I was working out at Bally's 6-7 days a week, holding down 2-3 jobs during that time. I had lost some weight after an injury but was still reducing. I went from around 225 down to 185. My Family got concerned as they thought I had gotten to skinny. One night at a club a friend of mine owned...this guy shows up at the back door of my friends bar. He's got this "You ****ed my Girlfriend!" crazed look on his face as indeed...his GF had gone Home with the Bar Owner the night before. The Owner was running his business and didn't want to hurt the guy...which would have happened BTW. Anyway...I stepped in to try and calm the guy down and he says....Stay outta this fat boy. Hell he was bigger than me. I told him I was gonna tattoo Fat Boy on his Forehead. It all gets fuzzy from that point on.

Bottomline: I try to be diplomatic and work through things...there just comes a point where you've got to try a different approach given a certain set of circumstances. You can't always to the tattoo thing either as they tend to wriggle around to much. :D

olevetonahill
5/8/2010, 10:35 AM
I werked as a Bouncer in a tittay Bar

Got fired the 1st night
they said i was handling the merchandise :D :hot:

oumartin
5/9/2010, 08:34 AM

so, it's okay for her to refer to him as a dumb@ss?

Not sayin' what he said has any place on here and his comments to anyone else sayin' they are overweight and whatnot but holy smoke don't go around make assumptions people are dumb@sses.

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 09:04 AM

Not sayin' what he said has any place on here and his comments to anyone else sayin' they are overweight and whatnot but holy smoke don't go around make assumptions people are dumb@sses.

That's the deal with him...he's figured out that that is THE ONLY WAY to get attention. He probably has some problems in life. I don't know if any folks wish him ill will as much as maybe he either get some help or grow up. If it's just an internet persona...then he could go back over to whornfans or OP.com IMHO.

Crucifax Autumn
5/9/2010, 04:01 PM
Besides, he's demonstrated over and over that he's a dumb*ss. He's also funnier looking than the green sh*t that appears under her...and my...glasses and the green stuff is WAY smarter than him.

proud gonzo
5/9/2010, 07:07 PM

I wasn't "assuming." He was being a dumbass.

oumartin
5/9/2010, 10:26 PM
I wasn't "assuming." He was being a dumbass.

No, he was speaking his mind. Who's right and who's wrong? I sure as hell don't know.

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 10:27 PM
CK's the popular whipping boy these days.

I think it's funny how much he gets some of the peeps stirred up, and that includes many of my posse brethren.

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:41 PM
CB...

If unwarranted personal attacks regarding folks character after those folks have had him beg for forgiveness and mercy and then broken that trust more times than you can remember is funny to you....well...you might need some help as well. We tried to be a friend to that kid and he doesn't want friends...he doesn't want a mentor...he just wants to be an internet Troll. If he had stated he was a Troll...that would have been fine with all of us. He didn't and he hurt some really good folks feelings and those same folks have very little respect for him as a poster, a human or even really an internet Troll for that matter.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course...but you were given Carte Blanche on the Posse Board and ostracized yourself from over there. For you to state some kind of bull**** like that just shows your character is lacking IMO.

Which I think is funny and yet strangely I still have pity for you too.

To each his own...

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 10:43 PM
Oh wow, that just breaks my heart.

This is the innerwebs get over it. :O

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 10:52 PM
Agreed. He's gone and I'm over it.

It was a bit more than just the internet though. Folks actually sent that kid help and befriended him in real life. You know...outside the internet. Matter of fact....lots of us have met in real life on this board and I think that's what has made SoonerFans and the Posse Board so special.

Again....to each his own.

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 10:56 PM
I know CK did some doosh things and I don't defend them, and I know some of y'all helped him out outside the board. I just think he's been made into some teenage internet bogeyman, when I think it'd be best if he was just forgotten and peeps moved on, and yeah I know his trolling may make that tougher than it sounds.

So yeah, let him be gone and peeps be done with him.

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 11:05 PM
Hey! Did I mention I had a Dublin Dr Pepper about an hour ago, made with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar? It was smoothly refreshing. :)

unbiasedtruth
5/10/2010, 03:48 AM
I finally found the "throwback" Pepsi and Mountain Dew at the local store..... have bought a couple of 12 packs of each..... tastes so much better the the HFCS versions....

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2010, 09:45 AM
You know what Pepsi throwback tastes like to me? Coke.

I never understood how those "Pepsi challenge" things could have fooled anyone at the time, but now I know. If you put that stuff and regular Coke in front of me, I honestly don't know if I could tell the difference.

yermom
5/10/2010, 09:57 AM
funny you mention the Pepsi Challenge...

i'm not sure the timeline on Pepsi using HFCS, but New Coke(with HFCS) was the response to the Pepsi Challenge. when people were choosing Pepsi they changed their formula, then after the backlash Coca Cola Classic comes along, now with HFCS and since you didn't really have old Coke to compare it to, now things went off without a hitch

i've heard it said that a purposely failed New Coke was just a ploy to switch to HFCS in the first place

soonerboomer93
5/10/2010, 11:19 AM
yet Cherry Coke is made with "new coke"

TheHumanAlphabet
5/10/2010, 11:41 AM
Since the Princeton study came out (http://www.oromoindex.com/technews/2010/04/12/eating-high-fructose-corn-syrup-worse-than-sugar/), I've noticed a lot of major brands are switching back to real sugar. I think think HFCS may be to blame for the high obesity/Diabetes rates we're weeing these days. They put that stuff in everything. If you haven't seen Food, Inc., you need to check it out, it's a real eye opener.

HFCS is the debil I tells ya!

The wife will only drink Mexi-cokes and Dr. Pepper made with sugar. She gets it at Sam's.

rainiersooner
5/10/2010, 06:22 PM
I've been trying to cut down on that crap for a while now.

Good thing there's Jones Soda...

Made in the great city of Seattle, by the way!!! :D

StoopTroup
5/11/2010, 08:14 AM
Is crack better with a little HFCS mixed in it? Johnny Mack, LL, Juan? :D ;)