PDA

View Full Version : I hate movies with bad science!

GeneralCartmanLee
5/4/2004, 10:41 PM
Did anybody watch 10.5 on NBC?

California Can't fall into the pacific; the San Andreas Fault is a lateral strike-slip fault! :)

And no I didn't watch it for that very reason.

Ike
5/4/2004, 11:08 PM
didnt see it...

but I am the same way...although half the time its just plain laughable...like Armageddon...the bad science in that one made me fall out of my chair laughing in the theatre...during not so laughable points in the plot...

GottaHavePride
5/5/2004, 12:05 AM
You should definitely check out this one, then:

http://www.dacre.org/flash/www/us102352.jpg

yermom
5/5/2004, 12:19 AM
Are you serious?

IronSooner
5/5/2004, 12:20 AM
I love his search engine.

Hella Sideburns
5/5/2004, 01:37 AM
didnt see it...

but I am the same way...although half the time its just plain laughable...like Armageddon...the bad science in that one made me fall out of my chair laughing in the theatre...during not so laughable points in the plot...

Hahah, we were watching that last night, and this dude was all into it. I was just letting it slide until the part where they were hopping around on that asteroid like it was earth. Uh, I dont think that little asteroid has that much gravity folks.

Ike
5/5/2004, 02:14 AM
Hahah, we were watching that last night, and this dude was all into it. I was just letting it slide until the part where they were hopping around on that asteroid like it was earth. Uh, I dont think that little asteroid has that much gravity folks.

actually...my favorite was the space station with "artifical gravity" in the wrong direction...that set the tone for the rest of the movie...

SOONER44EVER
5/5/2004, 05:06 AM
I watched the first half of 10.5. I never knew the earth could open up directly under a railroad track and nowhere else for several miles! How life-like.

FaninAma
5/5/2004, 08:11 AM
Did anybody watch 10.5 on NBC?

California Can't fall into the pacific; the San Andreas Fault is a lateral strike-slip fault! :)

We can always hope can't we?

Rhino
5/5/2004, 08:40 AM
I remember reading an article about 10.5 and they were talking to some seismologists who were just ripping the movie to shreds.

One good quote from that article was:
"I wish they would have talked to at least one seismologist before making this movie."

C&CDean
5/5/2004, 08:42 AM
How about "Twister" for bad science? Nothing like having a seeing-eye tornado follow your *** halfway across the midwest.

saucysoonergal
5/5/2004, 08:45 AM
How about weird science, like you could make a woman from a home computer, yeah, right! ;)

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/5/2004, 09:12 AM
Remember that scene in 'Searching for Bobby Fischer' when Bruce Pandolfini (played by Ben Kingsley) throws all of Josh Waitzkin's chess pieces across the floor? The resulting echo was one you'd get in a great hall, not a room the size of the one they were in. I'm sure it was done for effect, but it's not a science fiction movie... I'm supposed to suspend disbelief to that extent?

I don't think so.

saucysoonergal
5/5/2004, 09:14 AM
stupid foley artists! :(

RedstickSooner
5/5/2004, 09:23 AM
Speaking of stupid foley artists, I was watchin' a movie the other day, had some dude printing something out on an inkjet printer -- the sound effect was that old dot matrix sound. It was a minor detail -- but it amused me ;)

GDC
5/5/2004, 09:30 AM
I just wanted to say I hate Michael Crichton. Thanks for making this thread possible.

usmc-sooner
5/5/2004, 09:39 AM
well since sound doesn't travel through a vacuum you'd never hear anything in space.
So much for space movies.

proud gonzo
5/5/2004, 09:51 AM
almost as bad is when they mess up stuff with the guns in movies... my dad always points that out (such as "that gun only holds 15 rounds", etc.) my favorite is when someone thinks a gun isn't loaded just because they dropped the clip out.

When we were watching Stargate GHP's roommate kept pointing out how many times the sound guys added a gun-cocking sound. unnecesary...

OUstudent4life
5/5/2004, 10:15 AM
well since sound doesn't travel through a vacuum you'd never hear anything in space.
So much for space movies.

Yeah. The sonic bomb that Boba Fett used in space in one of the newer movies...

that was just sad.

And don't get me started on mitochondria-COUGH-I mean midiclorians.

Geek check. I failed.

KABOOKIE
5/5/2004, 10:39 AM
10.5 rocked your face off!

I loved the part where they initially thought the nuclear bombs were working to stabilize the fault and one of the president's advisors turns and says to him, "Sir, if this works. You'll be elected for another 5 straight terms." The president's reply was, "You idiot. A US president can only be elected to 3 consecutive terms. It says so in the by-laws of the US constipation."

Then Lil John stepped in and said, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Yeeeeeeeeah!"

AMSooner
5/5/2004, 10:45 AM
How about "Twister" for bad science? Nothing like having a seeing-eye tornado follow your *** halfway across the midwest.

Wait, I thought if an F5 tornado was bearing down on me and I was outside, I could just tie myself to some pipes sticking out of the ground and not die. I'm sure the flying pieces of debris would all miss me. I am pretty short, after all.

critical_phil
1/23/2006, 01:51 PM
I just wanted to say I hate Michael Crichton. Thanks for making this thread possible.

i'm about 90% done with State of Fear.

i don't read a lot of fiction, but i'd say this is pretty good. i don't have any clue how much of it is factual because i'm not well read on global warming/weather etc. he cites several hundred publications in the bibliography (with the disclaimer that most would not agree with the conclusions he's drawn).

i actually like Crichton, only because he gives just enough science fact to wonder what if?

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2006, 02:17 PM
Remember that scene in 'Searching for Bobby Fischer' when Bruce Pandolfini (played by Ben Kingsley) throws all of Josh Waitzkin's chess pieces across the floor? The resulting echo was one you'd get in a great hall, not a room the size of the one they were in. I'm sure it was done for effect, but it's not a science fiction movie... I'm supposed to suspend disbelief to that extent?

I don't think so.

I always chuckle during the old Eastwood/Sergio Leone westerns where there are like 6 guys on horseback and it sounds like Genghis Khan's entire army galloping across the Steppes. That's part of the charm of those movies though.

GDC
1/23/2006, 03:07 PM
i'm about 90% done with State of Fear.

i don't read a lot of fiction, but i'd say this is pretty good. i don't have any clue how much of it is factual because i'm not well read on global warming/weather etc. he cites several hundred publications in the bibliography (with the disclaimer that most would not agree with the conclusions he's drawn).

i actually like Crichton, only because he gives just enough science fact to wonder what if?

I definitely hate the movies they make from his books. As to running horses, it's amazing when they imply horses can run all out for hours or even days.

handcrafted
1/23/2006, 03:37 PM
Day After Tomorrow, anyone?

:D

OhU1
1/23/2006, 03:50 PM
There was a comical TV movie recently with Randy Quaid where "F6" tornados were spawing in Chicago or somewhere like that.

The Day After Tomorrow was really goofy too. Had the feel of a TV movie. I never figured out what was making everything instantly freeze but I missed the first 20 minutes. Maybe the Witch in Narnia was pointing her want around?

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2006, 03:59 PM
The Day After Tomorrow was really goofy too. Had the feel of a TV movie. I never figured out what was making everything instantly freeze but I missed the first 20 minutes.

It was the 2000 mile wide hurricane. :rolleyes: I just watched that abortion over the weekend.

handcrafted
1/23/2006, 04:00 PM
There was a comical TV movie recently with Randy Quaid where "F6" tornados were spawing in Chicago or somewhere like that.

The Day After Tomorrow was really goofy too. Had the feel of a TV movie. I never figured out what was making everything instantly freeze but I missed the first 20 minutes. Maybe the Witch in Narnia was pointing her want around?

It had to do with the arctic-super-duper-hurricanes pulling down supercooled air from the stratosphere into their hundreds-of-miles-wide eyes.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :P

Oh, I forgot about this one also: what was the one that came out several years ago about a volcano under Los Angeles that nobody knew about?

Mjcpr
1/23/2006, 04:00 PM
Does weird science count too? Because that movie was greatness.

handcrafted
1/23/2006, 04:02 PM

No, it doesn't count. It was indeed greatness, but clearly a fantasy and not intended as plausible SF, unlike some of these other films.

Fugue
1/23/2006, 04:03 PM

indeed, and in some kind of ironic twisternessness, Bill Paxton's greatest character.

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2006, 04:03 PM
Oh, I forgot about this one also: what was the one that came out several years ago about a volcano under Los Angeles that nobody knew about?

I believe it was called Volcano. Creative huh?

Fugue
1/23/2006, 04:10 PM
indeed, and in some kind of ironic twisternessness, Bill Paxton's greatest character.

or Chet in Twister: "Hey Princess Bride dude, you're stewed buttwad."

Ike
1/23/2006, 04:13 PM

well, thats kind what you get when you make a movie based on a book by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber....they aren't exactly the most scientific kinda guys out there.

yermom
1/23/2006, 04:13 PM
I believe it was called Volcano. Creative huh?

maybe you can help me with that one about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

OhU1
1/23/2006, 04:15 PM
Oh Boy, the Volcano movie. I watched that with my mother on TV a few years back. She was getting irritated with me becuase I started laughing at everything and she was still serious about the movie trying to get into it. By the time the movie was 1/2 through she was laughing like it was a comedy too.

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2006, 04:34 PM
maybe you can help me with that one about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode! I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

I believe it was called Speed. Creative huh?

;)

mdklatt
1/23/2006, 04:40 PM
I believe it was called Speed. Creative huh?

Wasn't there a sequal to Speed? I forget what it was called....

Mjcpr
1/23/2006, 04:40 PM
Wasn't there a sequal to Speed? I forget what it was called....

The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down 2

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2006, 05:29 PM
A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.

Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms!

All those innocent contractors hired to re-build the Death Star were killed- casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. (notices Dante's confusion) All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.

skycat
1/23/2006, 05:36 PM
What's a Nubian?