PDA

View Full Version : Cal HS Students sent home for wearing American flag shirts....

SteelClip49
5/6/2010, 10:46 AM
on Cinco de Mayo because it's a big deal to this HS to celebrate the stupid holiday. Imagine that.....being sent home for wearing red, white and blue in an AMERICAN state.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 10:52 AM
This is the kind of **** that is only going to get worse.

I hope those kids sue the bejesus out of that school.

Dio
5/6/2010, 11:24 AM
on Cinco de Mayo because it's a big deal to this HS to celebrate the stupid holiday. Imagine that.....being sent home for wearing red, white and blue in an AMERICAN state.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

Cali hasn't been an American state in a while.

goingoneight
5/6/2010, 11:40 AM
The American flags get sent home? Talk about ironic.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/6/2010, 11:53 AM
Now guys, let's not overreact. The district disagreed with the VP's decision, met with the students and parents that evening and said they are welcome to wear the t-shirts to school.

I don't know about the bandana thing. Lots of schools prohibit bandanas because it is associated with gangwear.

The liberals on the supreme court over the years have given broad 1st amendment rights to public school students. Tinker vs. Iowa stands out in my mind, on wearing arm bands to school.

Also not sure if anyone will object to violation of the non-enforced U.S. flag code, which says wearing the flag as apparel is disrespecting it.

SteelClip49
5/6/2010, 12:16 PM
it's only disrespectful when Kid Rock wears it.

ouleaf
5/6/2010, 12:33 PM
I'm betting Colbert will be all over this in his Tip of the Hat/Wag of the Finger segment. This seems like just the kind of thing that his writers would want to address/make fun of.

While the boys seem like 1st class doouchers, who obviously organized themselves to wear american flag attire on Cinco de Mayo on purpose, the school was definitely in the wrong on this.

SoonerJack
5/6/2010, 12:50 PM
C'mon, ACLU. This is the kind of stuff you people live for.

Turd_Ferguson
5/6/2010, 12:58 PM
C'mon, ACLU. This is the kind of stuff you people live for.Not. A. Chance.

Pricetag
5/6/2010, 01:01 PM
How hilarious is it that half the shirts were "Tapout" brand?

The kids were being turds, but shouldn't have been suspended.

OhU1
5/6/2010, 01:18 PM
C'mon, ACLU. This is the kind of stuff you people live for.

I know some of the people in the ACLU office and they DO love these kinds of cases. Seriously, the ACLU loves to take on the government and school boards. At least the folks at the Oklahoma chapter do. You also might be surprised that one of the top directors in the Oklahoma chapter is a guns rights advocate because he believes it's an important part of the Bill of Rights. (he's probably the only one up there who thinks this way though).

SteelClip49
5/6/2010, 01:58 PM
Why were the kids being turds? They were doing what was right.

NormanPride
5/6/2010, 02:02 PM
No they weren't. They were being contrary and most likely had no grasp of what the day means, let alone a clear understanding of current events. I guarantee their thought process was:

Idort A: "HURR MESICANS DAY COMIN UP DURR"
Idort B: "GONNA WEAR MERICUN FLAG TO PISH OFFF ALL DEM MESICAN DERP"

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 02:04 PM
No they weren't. They were being contrary and most likely had no grasp of what the day means, let alone a clear understanding of current events. I guarantee their thought process was:

This is possibly the stupidest post you've ever made. Honestly, those kids are at fault for wearing American flags in an American state at an American high school and they get kicked out because they might offend Mexicans on a MEXICAN holiday?

Give me a f'ing break. Regardless of what their intent was, they should never have been sent home and celebrating Mexican national holidays has no place in our schools.

Stitch Face
5/6/2010, 02:04 PM

Considering at least one of the kids' dads is from Mexico I doubt it went down exactly like that.

olevetonahill
5/6/2010, 02:06 PM
High school kids have ALWAYS been turds .
Its something in the water :D

NormanPride
5/6/2010, 02:09 PM
This is possibly the stupidest post you've ever made. Honestly, those kids are at fault for wearing American flags in an American state at an American high school and they get kicked out because they might offend Mexicans on a MEXICAN holiday?

Give me a f'ing break. Regardless of what their intent was, they should never have been sent home and celebrating Mexican national holidays has no place in our schools.

They're not being suspended for wearing the damn flag you moron, they're being suspended for starting ****. If you walk into a bar in Ireland wearing the Union Jack all over you and start strutting around like you own the place then you're going to get the idiot beaten out of you. This is the same damn thing. Sure it's legal, sure it's "patriotic", and it's also divisive and stupid.

NormanPride
5/6/2010, 02:11 PM
Considering at least one of the kids' dads is from Mexico I doubt it went down exactly like that.

Peer pressure can do strange things to people, man.

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 02:16 PM
So when I wiped my *** on a mexican flag, that was considered bad?:confused:

stoops the eternal pimp
5/6/2010, 02:19 PM
so in mexico on the 4th of July, is a mexican flag uncool to wear on a t shirt?

or in the US for that matter?

Flagstaffsooner
5/6/2010, 02:27 PM
So when I wiped my *** on a mexican flag, that was considered bad?:confused:
Might make it smell better.;)

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 02:31 PM
so in mexico on the 4th of July, is a mexican flag uncool to wear on a t shirt?

or in the US for that matter?
Nope, ya wear it on Sam Houston's birthday in Mexico.

SCOUT
5/6/2010, 02:32 PM
They're not being suspended for wearing the damn flag you moron, they're being suspended for starting ****. If you walk into a bar in Ireland wearing the Union Jack all over you and start strutting around like you own the place then you're going to get the idiot beaten out of you. This is the same damn thing. Sure it's legal, sure it's "patriotic", and it's also divisive and stupid.

Is it considered starting **** if someone wore an American flag on St. Patrick's Day?

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 02:33 PM

I can't see that they started anything. The damned p***y-assed Mexican kids who complained are the ones that started ****.

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 02:38 PM
Is it considered starting **** if someone wore an American flag on St. Patrick's Day?
Probably as bad as wearing a horns shirt to a game in Norman. :D

Flagstaffsooner
5/6/2010, 02:41 PM
Probably as bad as wearing a horns shirt to a game in Norman. :DNow, that's just damn offensive.

sooner_born_1960
5/6/2010, 02:51 PM
How is this even remotely the same damn thing?

GottaHavePride
5/6/2010, 03:12 PM
First: the administrators in question are morons, and deserve to get their asses sued off.

Second: to NP's comparison, remove the flag from the equation. Ask a school administrator what they would think if they saw one group of kids all wearing the same sorts of designs on their clothing in order to intimidate and harass other kids. Every single one of them will say "GANG".

Now in this case, it sounds more like the kids were wearing the clothes to make a statement and not really harassing anyone (or so the news channel spun it). Do I doubt the news channel's accuracy? Hell yes. Always. I've never seen a news report that WASN'T glaringly inaccurate in some way. But at any rate, the administrator in question is a complete idiot for not thinking about how this would play out.

KABOOKIE
5/6/2010, 03:15 PM

Hello. They're in AMERICA. Wearing AMERICAN shirts. It's the ding-dongs you're trying to poorly describe that were the ones offended.

BillyBall
5/6/2010, 03:31 PM
I spent a semester abroad during graduate school in Aguascalientes and this stupid chick at the school (ITESM) wore a swastika T-shirt, in some strange *** attempt to **** off the American students at the school.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not so sure she understood the whole concept of Nazism.

soonermix
5/6/2010, 03:35 PM
isn't cinco de mayo code for the only day of the year where tequila is ok?

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 04:05 PM
Now, that's just damn offensive.
I know, thats the point I was trying to get across. :D

Or using that same analogy, you could wear a Jeff Gordon shirt on Dale Earnhart Sr day in Kannapolis.:pop:

Jello Biafra
5/6/2010, 04:06 PM
isn't cinco de mayo code for the only day of the year where tequila is ok?

funny thing is, i went to a semi-cinco de mayo celebration last night with freinds and family to a very busy messican resteraunt last night...

the only meshicans there were delivering my food.

olevetonahill
5/6/2010, 04:09 PM
funny thing is, i went to a semi-cinco de mayo celebration last night with freinds and family to a very busy messican resteraunt last night...

the only meshicans there were delivering my food.

And just what # beer you on , Mrs caint spell fer shat ?:D :P

Jacie
5/6/2010, 04:23 PM

So it is like some whorn wearing an orange shirt with a uterus on it to a Bricktown bar, right? Serves the guy right to get his nutsack ripped . . .

Jello Biafra
5/6/2010, 04:30 PM
So it is like some whorn wearing an orange shirt with a uterus on it to a Bricktown bar, right? Serves the guy right to get his nutsack ripped . . .

well, it wasnt bricktown and it wasn't just that he was wearing the shirt but also, the fact that he was being a jerk off after being squaked at...

Jello Biafra
5/6/2010, 04:30 PM
And just what # beer you on , Mrs caint spell fer shat ?:D :P

2 or 12

olevetonahill
5/6/2010, 04:40 PM
2 or 12

:D :D :D :D
Me also maybe 4 er 14 now :D

Curly Bill
5/6/2010, 06:06 PM

This.

Viking Kitten
5/6/2010, 06:29 PM
I know some of the people in the ACLU office and they DO love these kinds of cases. Seriously, the ACLU loves to take on the government and school boards. At least the folks at the Oklahoma chapter do. You also might be surprised that one of the top directors in the Oklahoma chapter is a guns rights advocate because he believes it's an important part of the Bill of Rights. (he's probably the only one up there who thinks this way though).

Heh. You're talking about CT, right? He's a cool guy. He once told me this joke: "How does the ACLU count to 10? 1, 3, 4, 5, 6..."

GKeeper316
5/6/2010, 07:17 PM
Honestly, those kids are at fault for wearing American flags in an American state at an American high school and they get kicked out because they might offend Mexicans on a MEXICAN holiday?

see thats the funny thing... it aint even a mexican holiday. cinco de mayo goes largely uncelebrated in mexico.

its an american "hispanic culture day" bull**** made-up holiday.

and mexican beer sucks. except dos equis special lagar (green bottle). that stuffs awesome.

Soonerfan88
5/6/2010, 07:41 PM
Outside of the USA, where we use any excuse for drinking to excess, the only place Cinco de Mayo is celebrated is in Puebla where the actual battle took place. It isn't Mexican Independence Day but more like their version of the Alamo - except the gallant, outnumbered band actually won.

And NP, your comparison is not valid because wearing a Union Jack into a bar in Ireland is not equal to wearing the American flag in America. If the kids were attending school somewhere in Mexico, I would agree to send them home.

KABOOKIE
5/6/2010, 08:31 PM

Hey I need an answer quick. Is it ok to "beat the idiot" out of Mexicans who are in this country wearing their flag and strutting around like they own the place? Because there's a couple just down they street next to a taco trailer that I've been keeping my eye on.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 12:05 AM
People, people... we're missing the point here. Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates a Mexican military victory over the French.

I'm torn between two responses here...

[1] Any victory over the cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys is OK in my book.

[2] The French. Seriously, it's like the VW beetle of holidays anyway. ;)

Jello Biafra
5/7/2010, 08:33 AM
People, people... we're missing the point here. Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates a Mexican military victory over the French.

I'm torn between two responses here...

[1] Any victory over the cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys is OK in my book.

[2] The French. Seriously, it's like the VW beetle of holidays anyway. ;)

not to mention the fact that it was a win for a battle...not a war. personally, i think it's just a reason for soccer moms to get bombed out of thier horny little minds on tequilla ;)

OU4LIFE
5/7/2010, 08:58 AM
feh.

IMO, there's a WHOLE lot of stuff they could have wore that would have been worse.

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 09:10 AM

This ^^^^^^^^ :D

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 09:12 AM
TBH, I couldn't get the video to work, so I was going off what others had said. If there was a hispanic kid in the group, then that confuses the hell out of me. Maybe they were just trying to be patriotic in their own weird teenage way? Either way, it's just another variable that the schools don't need to handle (one of the reasons I'm for uniforms in schools).

GHP has it right, though. I'm not concentrating on the flag at all, but the fact that it was a group wearing the same clothing to stand out and unify themselves. I'd wager that the VP's heart was in the right place, but misjudged the intent of the actions. I'd like to believe that they were acting Pro-America rather than Anti-Mexico, but I'm a bit of a cynic.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 09:21 AM
Like their aren't "Uncle Tom" Messicans.

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 09:28 AM
Well, I'd like to believe that isn't the case, but it's possible. I just remember kids in my HS doing crap like this just to get the admins in trouble, so that's why I don't believe any of their BS.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 09:30 AM
Yep. I pulled some crazy sh*t to get teachers and assorted staff in trouble a few times.

Boarder
5/7/2010, 09:45 AM
feh.

IMO, there's a WHOLE lot of stuff they could have wore that would have been worse.
Worse than a Tapout shirt?

btk108
5/7/2010, 09:46 AM

So we're not allowed to proclaim that we're American if it's during a foreign holiday being celebrated on American soil? Dayum, I missed that meeting.

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 09:54 AM
So we're not allowed to proclaim that we're American if it's during a foreign holiday being celebrated on American soil? Dayum, I missed that meeting.

Yup, new commandment handed down by Czar Obama. No patriotism when there are foreigners around. Since you missed the meeting some re-education officers should be by soon to make sure you conform.

But really, I just don't think these kids thought that far. They're high schoolers that wanted attention. I personally do not like the idea of the flag being used as some sort of provocation of petty squabbles.

btk108
5/7/2010, 09:55 AM
I freakin KNEW Obamalama was behind this!

Pricetag
5/7/2010, 09:58 AM
Yup, new commandment handed down by Czar Obama. No patriotism when there are foreigners around. Since you missed the meeting some re-education officers should be by soon to make sure you conform.

But really, I just don't think these kids thought that far. They're high schoolers that wanted attention. I personally do not like the idea of the flag being used as some sort of provocation of petty squabbles.
Not only as a provocation, but also a shield against repercussions. Yeah, they got sent home, but look at the **** storm that has been created. The kids might not have thought that far ahead, but the administration should have.

Jello Biafra
5/7/2010, 10:00 AM

sounds like a dead kennedys song. ill see if i can talk to sir jello to make that happen.

Leroy Lizard
5/7/2010, 10:14 AM

As a country, we are in serious trouble when we need to avoid displaying our flag out of fear of inciting violence or hurting feelings.

Cinco de Mayo is not even a U.S. holiday.

I ask myself, "If I moved to Mexico, would I hold Fourth of July celebrations in the local public school? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I would consider that completely disrespectful to my new home country. But even more important, under no circumstances could I even fathom being upset if some of my fellow students showed up wearing Mexican flags. It's MEXICO!"

It boggles the mind.

Leroy Lizard
5/7/2010, 10:30 AM
sounds like a dead kennedys song. ill see if i can talk to sir jello to make that happen.

Let's Lynch the Gringo? Expel me? Not sure how those would go.

GottaHavePride
5/7/2010, 10:42 AM

It's also not much of a Mexican holiday, unless you're in Puebla.

Seriously, Cinco de Mayo is the Mexican equivalent of St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland (at least until the mid-90s) St Patty's Day was a religious observance. Meaning the pubs were CLOSED and everyone goes to church. Not quite what Americans have done to it, right?

Ireland didn't even start having a big Irish culture hoo-hah around St Patrick's Day until 1996.

Pricetag
5/7/2010, 11:24 AM
As a country, we are in serious trouble when we need to avoid displaying our flag out of fear of inciting violence or hurting feelings.

I ask myself, "If I moved to Mexico, would I hold Fourth of July celebrations in the local public school? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I would consider that completely disrespectful to my new home country. But even more important, under no circumstances could I even fathom being upset if some of my fellow students showed up wearing Mexican flags. It's MEXICO!"

It boggles the mind.
I also think we're in serious trouble if we are unable, or even worse, unwilling to consider both actions and intent. We've seen countless examples of things that are inherently good being used for non-good.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 12:31 PM

Yes, and its funny that the principal was Mexican.

delhalew
5/7/2010, 12:40 PM
I also think we're in serious trouble if we are unable, or even worse, unwilling to consider both actions and intent. We've seen countless examples of things that are inherently good being used for non-good.

This is disgusting^. One of the challenges of being an American citizen, is tolerating someone whose speech you disagree with. Under the current backdrop it's clear what the motivation was. It was a protest. If the admin wanted to avoid drama then he was obligated to make BOTH groups remove their shirts, and no suspension is in order. Just like some on this site, and just like liberal groups like the ACLU, the admin was not interested in protecting speech he did not believe in.
As to the hispanic student who joined the protest, I am not shocked this surprises some of you. You have bought the media's narrative. In most hispanic families, just like all families, there is someone who is disgusted by the actions of their people.
Students wearing Mexican colors is not the issue. The issue is the societal problems that are coming to a head right now. One of them being immigrants, illegal and otherwise, who have no respect for our nation.

btk108
5/7/2010, 01:19 PM
This is disgusting^. One of the challenges of being an American citizen, is tolerating someone whose speech you disagree with. Under the current backdrop it's clear what the motivation was. It was a protest. If the admin wanted to avoid drama then he was obligated to make BOTH groups remove their shirts, and no suspension is in order. Just like some on this site, and just like liberal groups like the ACLU, the admin was not interested in protecting speech he did not believe in.
As to the hispanic student who joined the protest, I am not shocked this surprises some of you. You have bought the media's narrative. In most hispanic families, just like all families, there is someone who is disgusted by the actions of their people.
Students wearing Mexican colors is not the issue. The issue is the societal problems that are coming to a head right now. One of them being immigrants, illegal and otherwise, who have no respect for our nation.

Concise and well thought out. Who wrote this for you?

delhalew
5/7/2010, 01:38 PM
Concise and well thought out. Who wrote this for you?

My 3 year old daughter. That is how basic these concepts are.

SCOUT
5/7/2010, 01:48 PM
About 200 Hispanic teens are marching in Morgan Hill yelling "We want respect!" and "Si se puede!" in reaction to a controversy ignited when the Live Oak High School principal effectively sent four students home for wearing T-shirts with American flags on them during Cinco de Mayo.

Mexican-American students felt the students were being disrespectful on the only day they celebrate their heritage while students sporting red, white and blue said it violated their First Amendment rights.

Hispanic Students March Through Downtown For Respect (http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/265420-hispanic-students-march-through-downtown-for-respect)

BudSooner
5/7/2010, 01:53 PM
Worse than a Affliction shirt?
Fixed. :D

BudSooner
5/7/2010, 01:56 PM
Hispanic Students March Through Downtown For Respect (http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/265420-hispanic-students-march-through-downtown-for-respect)Cool, i'm rounding up a bunch of old whities for a March in Mexico City....anybody wanna join me?;)

Pricetag
5/7/2010, 02:26 PM
I agree with you on the whole free speech thing. My whole problem with the whole deal is that because this involves our flag, people who are already mad about how this country is supposedly going down the crapper and are looking for something to sustain their fire are latching on and not digging deeper.

It is possible to use the flag to be an a-hole, and it's just as offensive to me as someone else complaining about the flag for any reason.

If the admin really wanted to avoid drama, they would have issued the kids an "I see what you did there," kept an eye on them, and been done with it. Their helicopter parents probably would have been just as outraged and called the news anyway, though.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/7/2010, 02:31 PM
Why would I give a **** about mexicans beating the french as a U.S. citizens. Other than a day to celebrate with alcohol. This is not a holiday in the U.S., not should it be sacrosanct for the stupid edumacators we have in this country.

Harry Beanbag
5/7/2010, 03:36 PM

Worst analogy ever.

Jello Biafra
5/7/2010, 03:58 PM
Hispanic Students March Through Downtown For Respect (http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/265420-hispanic-students-march-through-downtown-for-respect)

funny, they are in america waving a mexican flag complaining about no respect from teenage murican boys... obviously they dont have kids of their own...
also, if they are so demm proud of that place, they need to get thier cut offs back on, jump on the first thing smoking back to the south side of the north american continent. seriously, kick rocks m*ther fuggers!

Boarder
5/7/2010, 07:40 PM
Fixed. :D
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 10:42 PM
Damn good thing no one was wearing a hammer and sickle.

Leroy Lizard
5/8/2010, 01:02 AM
I agree with you on the whole free speech thing. My whole problem with the whole deal is that because this involves our flag, people who are already mad about how this country is supposedly going down the crapper and are looking for something to sustain their fire are latching on and not digging deeper.

It is possible to use the flag to be an a-hole, and it's just as offensive to me as someone else complaining about the flag for any reason.

If the admin really wanted to avoid drama, they would have issued the kids an "I see what you did there," kept an eye on them, and been done with it. Their helicopter parents probably would have been just as outraged and called the news anyway, though.

Actually, I think celebrating a Mexican holiday while attending an American school is really rubbing it in.

As for the American flags, most of us probably have a bumper sticker on our car that points to some allegiance. I have a National Rifle Association sticker on the back of my car for two reasons. 1. I want to let people know I support the NRA. 2. I want to get a subtle dig in on those who oppose the organization. We all do that from time to time. That's all these high school students were doing with the American flag and they didn't deserve to be treated the way they did.

The best thing the district can do is to stop promoting the holiday on school grounds altogether. It is not an American holiday and if the participants are so cliquish that they cannot even stand to see an American flag in their presence then they don't deserve the opportunity.

delhalew
5/8/2010, 10:02 AM
Everything patriotic and everything related to our christian heritage is becoming taboo. 1/4 of the people in this country make me want to puke.

It's interesting how liberals want to control and shut down those who disagree with them. So many of our young people buy the liberal line hook line and sinker, without noticing they are about intolerance.

The Remnant
5/8/2010, 10:36 AM
The school administration is afraid of the Mexican students. It was much easier to send the white kids home than to deal with an angry mob. The walkout from class on May 6 of 200 Mexican students down to the district office illustrates this. What is galling is that the state of California continues to spend millions of dollars to educate mainly Spanish-speaking students through EL programs. Most of these students are either here illegally or are "anchor babies". Yet school districts continue to lay off workers of all kinds, trim the school year, and slash budgets. What a strange world we live in.

BudSooner
5/8/2010, 11:02 AM
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Your right, my nephew came in this morning wearing the shirt you mentioned.

You.
Win.

TUSooner
5/9/2010, 10:43 PM
Obviously this was a ****up; they prolly should have just let the Mexican students walk. That said, I fail to see how more overreaction and heated resentfulness and indignation will do any good. But that's what the internet is for, I guess.

Pricetag
5/10/2010, 09:54 AM
I just don't think there is a 100 percent right side.

Just because those boys wrapped themselves in the flag doesn't automatically make them the "good guys."

It is possible that they wore their shirts and just went about their business that day. I'm inclined to believe that they weren't quite that innocent.

Even if they weren't, people still should have been able to get over it without complaining. It's like since the 24-hour news cycle and the Internet came along, we lost the ability to ignore stuff.

The school administration's course of action is about as bad as it could have been in retrospect, but I can also understand why they tried to preemptively diffuse it. Had they done nothing, and some kind of violence happened either by them or to them, the same parents who were outraged over them being sent home would have been outraged over them having done nothing to prevent it.

The Mexican counter-protest was stupidity, plain and simple, just being angry because they felt they had an excuse.

TUSooner
5/10/2010, 10:18 AM

Just because those boys wrapped themselves in the flag doesn't automatically make them the "good guys."

It is possible that they wore their shirts and just went about their business that day. I'm inclined to believe that they weren't quite that innocent.

Even if they weren't, people still should have been able to get over it without complaining. It's like since the 24-hour news cycle and the Internet came along, we lost the ability to ignore stuff.

The school administration's course of action is about as bad as it could have been in retrospect, but I can also understand why they tried to preemptively diffuse it. Had they done nothing, and some kind of violence happened either by them or to them, the same parents who were outraged over them being sent home would have been outraged over them having done nothing to prevent it.

The Mexican counter-protest was stupidity, plain and simple, just being angry because they felt they had an excuse.

Nice post. "Being angry because they felt they had an excuse," seems to be the guiding principle of lots of people these days.

Leroy Lizard
5/10/2010, 05:36 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that their wearing of flag garments was pure chance. They wore them because the others were rubbing "Mexicana" in their faces and they decided they wanted to speak out a little too.

Again, we all do that from time to time. Teenagers especially do this.

The vice principal should have just ignored. By disciplining a bunch of kids for wearing U.S. apparel in an American school, he made it an issue not easy to ignore.

When our kids are being punished for wearing patriotic garments, we shouldn't ignore it.

The school administration's course of action is about as bad as it could have been in retrospect, but I can also understand why they tried to preemptively diffuse it.

Ridiculous. Anytime a Mexican student speaks Spanish on campus grounds he could potentially anger white kids around him. Do we discipline him for it?

Had they done nothing, and some kind of violence happened either by them or to them, the same parents who were outraged over them being sent home would have been outraged over them having done nothing to prevent it.

You run a school by doing the right thing, not just to avoid an imagined conflict. The vice principal should have just told the kids that some of the other kids may take issue with their wearing of U.S. apparel and to be on their guard and report any harassment they encounter.

By disciplining the kids, he ended up putting the school in a very bad light and opening it to a lawsuit.

Leroy Lizard
5/10/2010, 05:38 PM
Nice post. "Being angry because they felt they had an excuse," seems to be the guiding principle of lots of people these days.

Sorry, but if my kid is disciplined for wearing a U.S. flag on his jacket because other kids from Mexico are celebrating a Mexican holiday, I'm complaining. We don't want to be oversensitive, but we also don't want to turn into sheep.