PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Flying gas bag explodes

Okla-homey
5/6/2010, 07:18 AM
Notice: This historical vignette contains no information regarding the contributions and/or roles of races or ethnicities other than caucasians, principally Europeans and Americans regarding the subject event. If the reader believes said vignette contains factual innaccuracies or omits the role of any other group, including, but not limited to Asians, Women, Native Americans, African Americans, LGBT persons, physically or mentally challenged persons, or any other group, the reader is invited to prepare a notice of said omission and submit same to our customer service department for verification by our research staff and inclusion in subsequent vignettes regarding the subject historical event.

May 6, 1937 The Hindenburg disaster

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/6697/hindenburg2bi.png

73 years ago, on this day in 1937, the dirigible Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built and the pride of Nazi Germany, bursts into flames upon touching its mooring mast in Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 36 passengers and crewmembers.

Not "blimps," the rigid airship, often known as "zeppelin" after the last name of its innovator, Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, was developed by the Germans in the late 19th century.

The German ships had a light framework of metal girders that protected a gas-filled interior. However, they were lifted by highly flammable hydrogen gas and vulnerable to explosion -- which is pretty much a design flaw.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/biguntitled.jpg

Helium would have been a safer source of lift as it is inflammable, but it was not available in Europe. The US was the only source in the world for helium and the US priced an airship fill-up at $600,000, a then massive sum.

Large enough to carry substantial numbers of passengers, one of the most famous rigid airships was the Graf Zeppelin, a dirigible that traveled around the world in 1929. In the 1930s, the Graf Zeppelin pioneered the first transatlantic air service, leading to the construction of the Hindenburg, a larger passenger airship.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/big_hindenburg_reading_room.jpg
One of Hindenburg's lounges

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/bigHindenburg_Interior_View.jpg
One of Hindenburg's observation areas

On May 3, 1937, the Hindenburg left Frankfurt, Germany, for the first of 10 scheduled journey's across the Atlantic to lakehurst Naval Air Station, NJ. On its maiden voyage, the Hindenburg, stretching 804 feet from stern to bow, carried 36 passengers and crew of 61.

While attempting to moor at Lakehurst, the airship suddenly burst into flames, probably after a spark ignited its hydrogen core. Rapidly falling 200 feet to the ground, the hull of the airship incinerated within seconds. Thirteen passengers, 21 crewmen, and 1 civilian member of the ground crew lost their lives, and most of the survivors suffered substantial injuries from the fall and/or severe burns.

Radio announcer Herb Morrison of Chicago's WLS, who came to Lakehurst to record a routine voice-over for an NBC newsreel, immortalized the Hindenberg disaster in a famous on-the-scene description in which he emotionally declared, "Oh, the humanity!" The recording of Morrison's commentary was immediately flown to New York, where it was aired as part of America's first coast-to-coast radio news broadcast.

Listen to Morrison's on-scene description in its entirety here (http://www.authentichistory.com/audio/1930s/history/19370506_Hindenberg_Disaster_Herb_Morrison-short.html)
The recording runs about 7 minutes. If you're pressed for time, fast forward to about the 3 minute point.

Lighter-than-air passenger travel rapidly fell out of favor after the Hindenberg disaster, and no rigid airships survived World War II.

http://img145.echo.cx/img145/4293/zeppelin6pc.jpg
Count Von Zeppelin

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2623/insane7zo.jpg

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 08:00 AM
So the Goodyear airships do not have a metal framework?

OULenexaman
5/6/2010, 10:07 AM
Nice disclaimer...

MR2-Sooner86
5/6/2010, 10:24 AM
In addition to a great political prognosticator who is wrong pretty much every time ("Obama can't win times a hundred posts), Homey been a big love member of the Jewish society who obviously blew up the Hindenburg.

The "we first" state of Israel who ****ed up the Middle East and the best nation on earth.....compromised all the best **** we stood for because they're a terrorist state WE support and still play the pity card on what was done to their parents.

Let me see you smile again Dear Prudence.

Finally, at the risk of having to read this circle jerk that used to be an interesting board more than once today.....

Homey is a total honk for 1. anything related to the American military understood as a total theory of History....2. "We" were right to **** the Indians since they signed legal contracts and 3. incorrect political right-wing prognostications....that are proven to be incorrect...as in "Obama can't win" times more posts than you and me have started combined.

Anything other than those two categories I might respond too. If you are one of Homey's spek crew, i pity you.

NormanPride
5/6/2010, 10:33 AM
:pop:

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:34 AM
Ok, I'm confused.

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:34 AM
and :pop:

MR2-Sooner86
5/6/2010, 10:38 AM

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:39 AM
:pop: :pop:
:pop: :pop:
:pop: :pop: :pop:
:pop: :pop: :pop:

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:40 AM
It sure is fun watching them all nosh at once...

MR2-Sooner86
5/6/2010, 10:43 AM
It's like I'm looking out on a movie theater.

sooneron
5/6/2010, 11:09 AM
:pop: :mad: :pop: :pop: :pop: :mad: :pop: :pop:
:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::mad::pop: :pop:
:pop::pop::pop::rolleyes: :pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :mad: :pop: :pop: :mad: :pop:
:rolleyes: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
:mad: :pop: :pop: :pop::rolleyes: :pop::pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 11:14 AM
In addition to a great political prognosticator who is wrong pretty much every time ("Obama can't win times a hundred posts), Homey been a big love member of the Jewish society who obviously blew up the Hindenburg.

The "we first" state of Israel who ****ed up the Middle East and the best nation on earth.....compromised all the best **** we stood for because they're a terrorist state WE support and still play the pity card on what was done to their parents.

Let me see you smile again Dear Prudence.

Finally, at the risk of having to read this circle jerk that used to be an interesting board more than once today.....

Homey is a total honk for 1. anything related to the American military understood as a total theory of History....2. "We" were right to **** the Indians since they signed legal contracts and 3. incorrect political right-wing prognostications....that are proven to be incorrect...as in "Obama can't win" times more posts than you and me have started combined.

Anything other than those two categories I might respond too. If you are one of Homey's spek crew, i pity you.

Spek to you my friend. Spek to you. I'd also like to point out that I was almost dead-on in my electoral prediction for that race as far back as early '08. A prediction that he chastised on more than one occasion while questioning my intelligence. He needs to stop making political predictions and find a similar hobby where he might have more success...like guessing winning lottery numbers.

sooneron
5/6/2010, 11:15 AM
I must have missed something when my hard drive was down.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 11:18 AM

Well, we're talking about flying gas bags and Homey....but I repeat myself.

Dio
5/6/2010, 11:21 AM
communication breakdown...it's always the same

MR2-Sooner86
5/6/2010, 11:23 AM

In Homey's last history thread a member blew up on him out of nowhere. I took his posts and simply reworded them a little as a joke.

SicEmBaylor
5/6/2010, 11:25 AM
In Homey's last history thread a member blew up on him out of nowhere. I took his posts and simply reworded them a little as a joke.

Whatever the case may be, you were right in that post.

Okla-homey
5/6/2010, 05:42 PM
So the Goodyear airships do not have a metal framework?

Correct. They are true "blimps."

Blimp = non-rigid gas envelope with crew gondola suspended beneath. Like Goodyear's.

Dirigible = metal skeleton containing gas bags over which a skin is stretched. Crew and passengers move around within the interior on catwalks. Bridge in gondola along bottom.

Okla-homey
5/6/2010, 05:42 PM

Bite me. Loser.

Crucifax Autumn
5/6/2010, 07:29 PM
Correct. They are true "blimps."

Blimp = non-rigid gas envelope with crew gondola suspended beneath. Like Goodyear's.

Dirigible = metal skeleton containing gas bags over which a skin is stretched. Crew and passengers move around within the interior on catwalks. Bridge in gondola along bottom.

So what the F*CK is a Zeppelin? ;)

MR2-Sooner86
5/6/2010, 07:35 PM
Bite me. Loser.

Why can't you guys just get along? I remember you guys use to be friends and now...

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050726/050726_lightsaber_hmed_3p.hmedium.jpg

yermom
5/6/2010, 07:37 PM
Homey, you're powers are weak, old man

stoopified
5/7/2010, 01:31 AM
I thought this was going to be a Rosie O'Donnel obit piece,my bad. :D

King Barry's Back
5/7/2010, 05:02 AM
Speaking of flying gas bags and zeppelins --

The following is from an online history of the US Army base at the Stuttgart airport in the suburb of Echterdingen, Germany. (Not coincidentally, I can see the airport from my office window...err...well I could if I HAD an office window...)

You'll notice two things -- first, zepellins have had a troubled history, and second, Count von Zeppelin came real close to never having much of an aviation career.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Aviation came early, unexpectedly, and dramatically to Echterdingen in the form of Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin's airship, LZ-4. While sailing over
Stuttgart on August 5, 1908, LZ-4 lost power in one of her engines and
Zeppelin was forced to land her. He had never landed one of his airships on
solid ground before, since he considered it safer to use special floating
platforms on lakes. He brought LZ-4 down safely, however, in the flat fields
just southeast of the town of Echterdingen, and a crowd quickly gathered to
wonder at the unexpected visitor.

Their excitement turned to dismay when a sudden thunderstorm blew the ship on its side, tore it from its moorings, and carried it away. Instantly flames shot out from the hydrogen-filled craft, and within a few seconds it was completely destroyed.

The loss ruined Count von Zeppelin financially, but within less than a week a spontaneous collection, the "Echterdinger Volksspende," raised over six million marks for him and allowed him to continue his experiments. The site of the
destruction of LZ-4 is marked by a "Zeppelinstein," a large stone memorial
in a grove of trees a few hundred meters northwest of the entrance to the
present Stuttgart Army Airfield.
----------------------------------------------------------

Okla-homey
5/7/2010, 05:59 AM
So what the F*CK is a Zeppelin? ;)

A dirigible built or designed by Count Von Zeppelin. Like a "Ford" is an automobile.

TUSooner
5/7/2010, 07:44 AM
"Oh, the humanity!"

That is all.

Crucifax Autumn
5/7/2010, 09:09 AM
A dirigible built or designed by Count Von Zeppelin. Like a "Ford" is an automobile.

I got it. Kinda like how I call my own flying gas a "crucifart".