JLEW1818
5/5/2010, 08:17 PM
725sq feet

1bed/1bath

Dallas

its brand new, so the A/C might be more greenish

royalfan5
5/5/2010, 08:33 PM
Mine was 32.55. I don't think I've ever paid over 45 in a given month. Score one for public power.

btk108
5/5/2010, 09:22 PM
I bet your electric guy is VERY satisified:D

BudSooner
5/5/2010, 09:30 PM
Mine was 32.55. I don't think I've ever paid over 45 in a given month. Score one for public power.
How do you manage that? Do you flip the main at the circuit breaker before going to work and in from work?
I've tried all sorts of tricks to save on power, unplugging anything not used(especially unused extension cords /power supplies)going to lower wattage products when possible.
I still cannot get my bill down to an amount I can be totally satisfied with.

fadada1
5/5/2010, 09:31 PM
move to fairport, ny. in 3 years, our HIGHEST bill was about $40. usually about $18 during the summer months. unfortunately, we don't live there anymore.

Curly Bill
5/5/2010, 09:34 PM
Mine's never very high either, but I need to talk to President Brack. You bastages paying less than $50 a month need to be paying more, you know to subsidize the poor folks that deserve high quality electricity just as much as the rest of us.

edit....er nevermind, my last bill was for $44.10 :O

royalfan5
5/5/2010, 09:35 PM
How do you manage that? Do you flip the main at the circuit breaker before going to work and in from work?
I've tried all sorts of tricks to save on power, unplugging anything not used(especially unused extension cords /power supplies)going to lower wattage products when possible.
I still cannot get my bill down to an amount I can be totally satisfied with.

Nebraska power is dirt cheap, and I keep my thermostat at 82 during the warm part of the year. If I really worked at it, I think I could trim another 10-15%, but I'm pretty careless with lights and what not.

JohnnyMack
5/5/2010, 09:36 PM
82? WTF kind of martyr are you?

Curly Bill
5/5/2010, 09:37 PM
Oh! ...and jlew!

You can suck it -- loser!

You and your $53.55

...and my bill is for a real house and stuff. :D

btk108
5/5/2010, 09:42 PM
CB....be careful what you wish for....how do you think he got the electric bill so low?

Soonerus
5/5/2010, 09:46 PM
Mine was $25 at my condo in Phoenix, but a/c turned off...so why $25 ???

BudSooner
5/5/2010, 09:51 PM
Ah yes the one HUGE difference, my place is about 2000sq ft.
It is not easy keeping this big bitch cool in the summer, we usually set the thermostat around 75-78 but the living room/kitchen are HUGE and difficult to cool.

Curly Bill
5/5/2010, 09:52 PM
My place is around 1650sq feet. I still haven't turned the AC on this year. The place so far has stayed plenty cool without it.

Stitch Face
5/5/2010, 10:01 PM
$63.64. 3811 sq ft. Beat that, beyonces.

No, the air hasn't been on yet. And yeah, I pretty much rule our family's power usage with an iron fist. I mean, like, emotional abuse and stuff.

BudSooner
5/6/2010, 06:41 AM

No, the air hasn't been on yet. And yeah, I pretty much rule our family's power usage with an iron fist. I mean, like, emotional abuse and stuff.
Dude, that is damn near impossible here with 5 of us but I do keep the a/c off so far. I turn off all the lights we are not using, just open the windows and let the light in, we dont watch that much tv other than my son when he is playing his PS3, other than the fridge/modem/router and 6 ceiling fans...what gives???
We have front and back porch lights and 2 side halogen flood lights, but the bill was high before we even started using them.

Sooner in Tampa
5/6/2010, 07:10 AM
**** all of you...my electric bill NEVER goes below $2 bills...NEVER :mad:

Boomer.....
5/6/2010, 07:27 AM

We now know who the real Bruce is.

Crucifax Autumn
5/6/2010, 07:35 AM
My AC is cranked as low is it will go. 2 computers, 2 televisions, and 2 videogame systems are running pretty much 24/7.

My electric bill? $0.00

Stitch Face
5/6/2010, 08:02 AM
Dude, that is damn near impossible here with 5 of us but I do keep the a/c off so far. I turn off all the lights we are not using, just open the windows and let the light in, we dont watch that much tv other than my son when he is playing his PS3, other than the fridge/modem/router and 6 ceiling fans...what gives???
We have front and back porch lights and 2 side halogen flood lights, but the bill was high before we even started using them.

Actually...we use propane for hot water. So there is that. But electric for everything else this time of year. We hardly ever use outside lighting.

The east side of the house has a lot of big windows so we bought opaque roller shades to cover those during the day. We don't use much TV and the main computer that gets used is a laptop in the kitchen.

But we are pretty good about minimizing on time for stuff that doesn't need to be on. Like, the bathroom vanity has six lights above it, but you can see to pee well enough using the little light over the shower. My motto is "if you can do it in the dark then do it in the dark."

StoopTroup
5/6/2010, 08:04 AM
Mine was $121 last month. We just put in a new Lennox a/c unit so I'm looking forward to see if I can get it lower than $300 in July. I leave everything plugged in. I've insulated the hOUse, put in new doors and windows

I'm still not happy but we'll see what comes in July then I compare.

badger
5/6/2010, 08:57 AM
I used to have three girls as roommates who would insist on keeping the A/C kranked 24/7 and the heating turned up in winter to the point where you could walk around in a t-shirt. :mad:

JohnnyMack
5/6/2010, 09:12 AM
My AC is cranked as low is it will go. 2 computers, 2 televisions, and 2 videogame systems are running pretty much 24/7.

My electric bill? $0.00

Yeah but you're incarcerated.

Breadburner
5/6/2010, 10:09 AM
Mine was 30.44.....My house is about 1700 sqf.....175kwh usage...

unbiasedtruth
5/6/2010, 10:30 AM
if you aint getting paid by the electric company..... somethings wrong....

goingoneight
5/6/2010, 11:22 AM
$22.00

What do I win?

Disclaimer: I just opened my own account after closing on my grandpa's estate after having moved in back in December.

Stitch Face
5/6/2010, 11:34 AM
$22.00

What do I win?

Disclaimer: I just opened my own account after closing on my grandpa's estate after having moved in back in December.

That was the fee for opening a new account.

goingoneight
5/6/2010, 11:46 AM
Connection fee or whatever. No fee for new account, actually. I had a good payment history from my apartment.

nmsoonergirl
5/6/2010, 11:50 AM

Dad?

Stitch Face
5/6/2010, 12:00 PM
Dad?

Welcome home, honey.

Now turn off that stereo before I do it for you.

OhU1
5/6/2010, 12:10 PM
I've been around $55.00 a month since October in my new house, 1,750 sq. ft. No A/C yet. The house is "Energy Star" certified, new energy star applicances ect.

I have all electric so no gas bill.

I'm not sure how much this helps but because I leave town on the weekend I turn the water heater off at the breaker box on Thursday morning. During the ice storm and power loss in January I discovered that I have enough hot water reserves for at least 2 days. So I turn the water heater off on Thursday morning and I still have enough hot water for a Friday morning shower. I flip the breaker switch back on Sunday morning when I get home.

StoopTroup
5/6/2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah. We could do better here but we're just really busy and I work outside so I like having a nice cool enviromemt when I get Home at Night. Sometmes I'm here during the day too so it's hard to turn it off. We could get a more Efficient stove for the kitchen and maybe a more efficient gas dryer too. Turning the hot water off when we are away for a few days is something we should think about doing too. I know we could do much better. I think I'll definitely have a Family meeting this weekend about it and see if we can reduce costs.

GKeeper316
5/6/2010, 07:24 PM
if you're a homeowner, look into installing a windmill.

SoonerInKCMO
5/6/2010, 07:34 PM
Avg $38.65/mo since last August for about 1000 ft^2.

A few years ago, I had an apartment about the same size in KC and, no matter what I did, I couldn't get my bill under $100. Turns out the apartments had wired the meters incorrectly and I was paying the bill of the ****** upstairs that ran his AC all damn day.

Stitch Face
5/6/2010, 08:21 PM

Or a waterwheel if you live on a river.

delhalew
5/6/2010, 10:30 PM

That's a lot of capital upfront. I'd be willing to do it, even though during the peak summer months is when there is less wind.

StoopTroup
5/7/2010, 08:58 AM
After my last post yesterday I went through the House before going to work last night and unplugged almost everything that had no need to be plugged in and I turned off all the power strips except for the one that runs the phone. When the kids came Home last night with their Mother they went to turn the TV on and when they couldn't figure it out, they went "OMG...Dad didn't turn off the cable did he?" I think for a moment they thought they might need some sort of therapy from my abusiveness....lol.

badger
5/7/2010, 09:00 AM
After my last post yesterday I went through the House before going to work last night and unplugged almost everything that had no need to be plugged in and I turned off all the power strips except for the one that runs the phone. When the kids came Home last night with their Mother they went to turn the TV on and when they couldn't figure it out, they went "OMG...Dad didn't turn off the cable did he?" I think for a moment they thought they might need some sort of therapy from my abusiveness....lol.

my dad once, after i declined to go with the rest of the family on some outing, decided that he didn't want me watching TV while they were gone, so he unplugged the television.

Do you know how fast that TV was plugged back in after the car pulled away? :D

StoopTroup
5/7/2010, 09:04 AM
Same here Badg...I guess my Dad thought he was raising complete dumb****s. He now knows better as I go over and unplug stuff on his computer and then watch for about an hour as his 82 year old ex-surgeon *** crawls around under his desk trying to figure out what the **** is wrong. What comes around goes around. :D ;)

btk108
5/7/2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah. We could do better here but we're just really busy and I work outside so I like having a nice cool enviromemt when I get Home at Night. Sometmes I'm here during the day too so it's hard to turn it off. We could get a more Efficient stove for the kitchen and maybe a more efficient gas dryer too. Turning the hot water off when we are away for a few days is something we should think about doing too. I know we could do much better. I think I'll definitely have a Family meeting this weekend about it and see if we can reduce costs.

Look out, ST's going green! Tree hugger :P

badger
5/7/2010, 10:41 AM
Same here Badg...I guess my Dad thought he was raising complete dumb****s. He now knows better as I go over and unplug stuff on his computer and then watch for about an hour as his 82 year old ex-surgeon *** crawls around under his desk trying to figure out what the **** is wrong. What comes around goes around. :D ;)

My dad really loves the Internet (it's dial-up so you know he doesn't love it for the wrong reasons, lol) but he is NOT savvy with technology.

I remember one early morning I was trying to sleep in on a weekend home from college. My parents suddenly both start telling me that computer is broken because the mouse isn't working

(I will just pause a moment for you all to digest that for a moment - the computer is broken because the mouse isn't working.)

So, because I am tired and realize that the only thing broken is my parent's comprehension of technology, I tell them that they need to get a mouse pad.

(Now I will pause while you digest that - the mouse isn't working, but the mouse will start working if you get a mouse pad.)

Even in my tired state I figure they have no idea what a mouse pad is will cause them to let me sleep more... but alas the questions keep coming - "How much does a mouse pad cost?"

I had enough at this point. I get out of bed, turn off the computer (OMG - you didn't shut down windows before you turned it off! oh noes!) and turn it on and behold, the working mouse, sans mouse pad.

I couldn't get back to sleep after that :mad:

Flagstaffsooner
5/7/2010, 11:09 AM
I dont know about electric but Dean's gas bill is low.
http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/Gas%20Grill-thumb.jpg

OhU1
5/7/2010, 02:16 PM

Want to play a joke on your old man? Set the Weather Channel to "blocked by parental control". My dad fooled around with the remote for a minute or two before stating "ok, I think someone is pulling my leg here." :D

badger
5/8/2010, 10:39 AM
Want to play a joke on your old man? Set the Weather Channel to "blocked by parental control". My dad fooled around with the remote for a minute or two before stating "ok, I think someone is pulling my leg here." :D

Gawwww... that d@mn weather channel was all dad would let our motel room watch when we were on trips and actually had access to cable. My little elementary school mind is like "Finally I can watch cartoons!" and instead we get the d@mn weather channel for hours.

My brother became a meteorologist, though, so it halfway worked???

BudSooner
5/8/2010, 10:49 AM
One thing that makes our electric bill so high is EVERYTHING is electric, the only thing we use propane for is heating and we kept that at bay by using the wood pellet stove when it was not that bad.
If the house had a larger hot water tank then yeah, the bill would not be that high....oh and we are on a well and that will run up the bill as well.

Curly Bill
5/9/2010, 01:51 AM
My most recent electric bill: $35.61. Got it yesterday.

StoopTroup
5/9/2010, 07:45 AM
I have a large side by side Refrig and a freezer to store bodies in in the Garage. :D ;)

Also...when we are Home...I think the Washer is always running and the Dryer is gas so it's running too. I just had to set the gas hot water tank up a bit as we run out of hot water if all four of us take even quick showers.

I should get a windmill and some solar power and if Billy teh kid thinks I'm going green....it's only the kind of green that pays for Tailgates and tickets. :P

My Harley does get around 30 MPG though so maybe he's right. I like to think I'm just taking it "Old School" White Guy Edition 2010. :D

btk108
5/11/2010, 04:48 PM
I dont know about electric but Dean's gas bill is low.
http://www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/Gas%20Grill-thumb.jpg

I thought that tailgate BBQ had a lil wang to it.

btk108
5/11/2010, 04:49 PM
I have a large side by side Refrig and a freezer to store bodies in in the Garage. :D ;)

Also...when we are Home...I think the Washer is always running and the Dryer is gas so it's running too. I just had to set the gas hot water tank up a bit as we run out of hot water if all four of us take even quick showers.

I should get a windmill and some solar power and if Billy teh kid thinks I'm going green....it's only the kind of green that pays for Tailgates and tickets. :P

My Harley does get around 30 MPG though so maybe he's right. I like to think I'm just taking it "Old School" White Guy Edition 2010. :D

Old School....I like it!

goingoneight
5/11/2010, 05:40 PM
I shut everything down when I'm not home. Cats can survive just fine as they would if they lived outdoors, and when I'm not there... why would I give a shat if my house is a nice whatever degrees inside? Hell, right now I don't even need AC or heat... lately just open a window or two.