PDA

View Full Version : "As Seen on TV" crap is mostly crap

badger
5/5/2010, 10:44 AM
Discuss. Here is an example (and I recommend not playing this video at work)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncjYnLgxyCI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ncjYnLgxyCI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2010, 11:58 AM
LOL

badger
5/5/2010, 01:21 PM
I started this thread because I heard that the roll-a-hose was discontinued.

For those that missed the infomercials way back when, it advertised itself as a mini-firehose of sorts, that started as flat, but expanded when water was running through it.

I worked at Lowe's that summer that it came out. I had so many of those returned that I saw people buying them, I could help but laugh. I know that isn't very professional of me, but hey, professionals don't make $7 an hour in a part-time temporary gig :D

IB4OU2
5/5/2010, 01:23 PM
Do they have the one in the driver version? That's the one I would need.

CaliBornSoonerBred
5/5/2010, 01:26 PM
wait, you're saying the ShamWow I just ordered is crap?!

badger
5/5/2010, 01:33 PM
wait, you're saying the ShamWow I just ordered is crap?!

Your dogs will eat it if you give them access to it. It only works if you dampen it first. Their ads have been proven inaccurate by Consumer Reports or another mag, not because they don't entirely work, but because they do not hold 20-times their weight in water, they will not soak up liquid from underneath your carpet as easily as on the ad, etc. etc. But, on the other hand, it's a little towel that somewhat works. It's equal parts Sham and Wow, in a nutshell.

BudSooner
5/5/2010, 01:35 PM
4Life has been outed, I bet he has two of them. ;)

Jello Biafra
5/5/2010, 01:44 PM
is it me or did that first dude look like schnellenburger?

Jello Biafra
5/5/2010, 01:45 PM
roflmao "looks like you are just checking out your club"

Jacie
5/5/2010, 02:18 PM
Walmart has an aisle just for as-seen-on-tv stuff . . .

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2010, 02:32 PM
"Billy Mays here. Here in hell I sell Oxiclean Your Souls. For only 19.95. Remove those sins of stealing , thievery and murder in one swipe. And if you call now and your name is Kennedy you can have the Family Plan for just 9.95 extra plus postage and handling."

btk108
5/5/2010, 02:43 PM
Your dogs will eat it if you give them access to it. It only works if you dampen it first. Their ads have been proven inaccurate by Consumer Reports or another mag, not because they don't entirely work, but because they do not hold 20-times their weight in water, they will not soak up liquid from underneath your carpet as easily as on the ad, etc. etc. But, on the other hand, it's a little towel that somewhat works. It's equal parts Sham and Wow, in a nutshell.

I got ShamScrewed.........

badger
5/5/2010, 02:50 PM
Walmart has an aisle just for as-seen-on-tv stuff . . .

When you see all of that stuff grouped together, it really puts it in perspective on how crappy the crap really is. Crap!

I enjoyed that short-run show "Pitchmen" (airing its last episode around the week Billy Mays died), where you REALLY saw the crap spewed out - the stuff that even As Seen on TV even rejected.

But, there was also the stuff they approved - shoes that are mops that you can use to clean your floors by waddling around? Sold! A modified yo-yo that tries to convince you that you're actually working out by calling it a "Spin Gym?" Perfect!

However, I should note that NP and I both have "As Seen on TV" items that we don't actually think our crap. "Magic Bullet" is NP's favorite. I use the "Awesome Auger" for mild lawn repair.

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2010, 03:04 PM
I use the "Awesome Auger" for mild lawn repair.Works wonders on my constipated pet buffalo.

ouleaf
5/5/2010, 03:10 PM
I got the Magic Bullet as a gift a good while back and over all I haven't been all that impressed with it.

From my experience it's a very frustrating device when trying make large quantities of something. I'd say you are more wise to spend your money on a quality food processor and you wind up with better results.

badger
5/5/2010, 03:23 PM
Besides the Awesome Attach-me-to-a-drill thing, I have been largely unimpressed with their outdoor gear.

The edger is apparently crap, the upsidedown tomato (and several other ones they added for season two) is UGLY and gets dry easily so plants die easily, and those water globes that allegedly water your potted plants? Now using as a decorative house-don't-go-in-my-garden-please stopper. It's very decorative and very useless otherwise.

olevetonahill
5/5/2010, 03:30 PM
I must live a sheltered life
WTF is a magic bullet ? sompun ya shoot Ghosts with ?

And Badg those mater thingies I made My own
took 5 Gal Buckets drilled a hole in the bottom and stuck my mater plants thru it , filled it up potting soil, Hung em from the eve of the shack .
worked Ok last year, But I got em planted way late. This year Ive had em out about 2 months er so and Its lookin good so far

badger
5/5/2010, 04:27 PM
I must live a sheltered life
WTF is a magic bullet ? sompun ya shoot Ghosts with ?

The magic bullet makes fruit smoothies one at a time - so yes, limited, but if that's all you need, I think it works well.

As for your makeshift Topsy Turvy things made out of buckets, the main turnoff for me was that it was a tremendous eyesore everywhere I saw one hanging. I mean, people seemed to all run out and get one when it was released, and then a few months later, the thing is faded, has very few tomatoes if any and is still as ugly as the day you got it :P

badger
5/5/2010, 04:31 PM
Also, here is another awful As Seen on TV invention that is currently making rounds on cable:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbsSeVr5NSI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbsSeVr5NSI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

olevetonahill
5/5/2010, 04:34 PM
Yea I didnt get as many maters last year as I thot i should but just figured it was because I got em out so late

This year just as a controll I planted 1 right side up in a Planter. See whats make more maters

Flagstaffsooner
5/5/2010, 04:42 PM
Git you an inside the eggshell scrambler and you can make katsup.