PDA

View Full Version : Bad, bad counterfeit whiskey

Chuck Bao
5/4/2010, 07:18 PM
I had been puking my guts out for two days. No, I didn’t drink THAT much! Tonight, I am finally getting back up to drinking again and when I opened the whiskey bottle, the chemical smell was over-powering, something like formaldehyde. The taste was awful and I still have that chemical taste in my mouth after taking just a few sips with lots of ice and diet coke.

Please tell me that I am just imagining it.

So, I pour out the glass because it is so offensive. I go to the local 7-Eleven to buy another bottle of Johnnie Walker. I decide to pour a little from the old bottle and little from the new bottle into two separate glasses. I even switched them around a few times so I wouldn’t know which came from which bottle. Yeah, I could tell the difference immediately. One smelled just like formaldehyde and the other like Johnnie Walker should smell and taste like. So, I am drinking again, but only from the new bottle.

This is exactly why I drink only Johnnie Walker because, if I am going to abuse alcohol, it probably should be some brand that is not going to poison me or pickle my insides.

I understand that there is a big problem in Thailand in counterfeiting the premium imported brands. You can actually sell the empty whiskey bottles for above the value of the glass and you can imagine that the bars are not above selling their empties to the counterfeiters. I would smash my empty bottles if that were an easy thing to do. Apparently, counterfeiters can manufacture the packaging exactly. They can easily produce the holograms designed to stop counterfeiters. They can produce identical sealed caps and get the tax stamp plastered over it. Maybe the counterfeiters don’t even care how bad the product is. If I were into conspiracy theories, I would wonder if local whiskey bottlers wouldn’t be so opposed to this sabotage of their dominant and famous brand competitors.

A quick Google search brought up this about the effectiveness of holograms and whiskey counterfeiters.

http://www.3d-lab.de/25c3/counterfeiting.htm

It is commonly believed that holograms cannot be counterfeited. As a matter of fact, it is rather easy to counterfeit the holograms that are commonly used today in security applications, and holograms have been counterfeited more than once.

There are several straightforward, simple, and inexpensive ways to counterfeit the kinds of holograms currently used in security documents and credit cards. This is not news to the holographic industry, but it may be a revelation to some of the users and potential users of security holograms.

If a hologram is the key feature used to judge the validity of an identification card or a product, then the counterfeiter's incentive is directly related to the profits he can make by counterfeiting the hologram. Two examples will suffice to show that the financial rewards to a hologram counterfeiter can be enormous: on the level of tens to hundreds of millions of dollars.

Johnny Walker Scotch Whiskey has recently carried a holographic label as a counterfeit deterrent. Roughly 50 million bottles are sold in a year. A bottle of this whiskey costs $16, and the cost of producing a bottle of counterfeit whiskey is less than $2. Assuming volume discounts and markups for middlemen, a counterfeiter stands to make $20 million if he can produce a passable holographic Johnny Walker label.

I don’t even know what to do.

I would like to send the bottle to Johnnie Walker and let them test it and hopefully do something to stop this dangerous practice.

I don’t know if my loyalty to buying only the premium foreign whiskey brands is now misguided. After all, when I am drinking and seriously drinking, I don’t even notice that horrible chemical taste, or I didn’t this last bout of drinking.

Have any of you heard of counterfeited whiskey in the US?

unbiasedtruth
5/4/2010, 07:24 PM
ya it was called prohibition back in the day....

now we call it OVJ.....

Jacie
5/4/2010, 07:34 PM
There are still moonshiners, people who brew up alcohol but that stuff is clear since they don't go to the trouble to age it in charcoaled barrels.

Never heard of counterfeit whiskey in the U.S. or anywhere except in Westerns as in, "That's the stuff you give to them injuns. Give me the real stuff!"

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 07:55 PM
There are still moonshiners, people who brew up alcohol but that stuff is clear since they don't go to the trouble to age it in charcoaled barrels.

Never heard of counterfeit whiskey in the U.S. or anywhere except in Westerns as in, "That's the stuff you give to them injuns. Give me the real stuff!"

Really ?

Chuck Bao
5/4/2010, 08:03 PM
I have to say here that I now trust OVJ more than I trust Johnnie Walker. The chemicals in that fake crap are just nasty.

Leroy Lizard
5/4/2010, 08:15 PM
This is exactly why I drink only Zima because, if I am going to abuse alcohol, it probably should be some brand that is not going to poison me or pickle my insides.

FIFY

Chuck Bao
5/4/2010, 09:32 PM
I don't even know what Zima is. Whatever it is, it hasn't made its way to Thailand yet. Nice try, though.

tulsaoilerfan
5/4/2010, 09:34 PM
I don't even know what Zima is. Whatever it is, it hasn't made its way to Thailand yet. Nice try, though.

Ask Sic Em

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2010, 09:49 PM
Who am I kidding I'd Drink Turpentine...

http://mahafreed.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/untitled.jpg

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 10:11 PM
Im still waitin on Jacie to tell us more about this Moonshine stuff.

Boarder
5/4/2010, 10:17 PM
Im still waitin on Jacie to tell us more about this Moonshine stuff.
No such thing as moonshine. And if there was, it'd all be clear. You should look it up sometime. Do some learnin' so you can comment.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 10:23 PM
No such thing as moonshine. And if there was, it'd all be clear. You should look it up sometime. Do some learnin' so you can comment.

Well ya see thats what i trying to do here :confused:

GKeeper316
5/4/2010, 11:19 PM
heres an idea... move the **** out of thailand.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 11:21 PM
Heres an idea
STFU about some one Else's choice of Life

GKeeper316
5/4/2010, 11:32 PM
Heres an idea
STFU about some one Else's choice of Life

ok than if hes goona CHOOSE to live in a place where liquor counterfitting is so rampant, then i dont have any sympathy for him for getting screwed over by the locals when they pull this ****.

options...

quit drinking, or move away from where you're getting the bad hooch.

if he chooses to stay where he is and keep drinking, then he can be prepared to face the consequences.

why dont you just stfu and go back to neggin all my posts.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 11:47 PM
He wasnt askin fer sympathy he was making a statement and lettin folks know that it can happen .

I only neg yer ignorant posts the other 2 ive left alone .:P

Chuck Bao
5/5/2010, 12:24 AM
He wasnt askin fer sympathy he was making a statement and lettin folks know that it can happen .

Yeah, it is exactly like Olevet said. I was surprised and posted it as a FYI type of thing. Don't be surprised if there are more fake goods entering the US market.

Jacie
5/5/2010, 07:08 AM
Zima = soda pop with a .01% alcohol content. Kids love it.

As for moonshine, the last time I was told by someone I know who was given some was in the 70's. The last time I saw it reported in the news was in the 90's and that was an instance where the person who brewed it made the wrong kind, the stuff the causes blindness and can kill you as opposed to the drinkin' kind . . .

I guess I have heard of counterfeit whiskey once. It was when I took an empty pint bottle of Crown Royal and put a lesser-priced bourbon in it then went to a Dallas Cowboys football game. Used it get a pair of tickets from a scalper who no doubt thought he was trading them for a high dollar drink . . .

Crucifax Autumn
5/5/2010, 09:12 AM
Seems like some are living on Mars.

StoopTroup
5/5/2010, 11:08 AM
I think STFU may be in order....lol :D

StoopTroup
5/5/2010, 11:12 AM
I was held captive by this crazy ol moonshiner once. He had all sorts of animals running loose and his sidekick was a pimp. Later a whole bunch of other pimp wannabees showed up and we all got drunk and some staggered away into the night and the others passed out. It was crazy I tell ya. I still have bad dreams of a mean ol parrot chasing me in my sleep.

Thankfully I wasn't the one they kept a talkin' to saying..."Boy...you got a perdy mouph."

olevetonahill
5/5/2010, 11:35 AM
Zima = soda pop with a .01% alcohol content. Kids love it.

As for moonshine, the last time I was told by someone I know who was given some was in the 70's. The last time I saw it reported in the news was in the 90's and that was an instance where the person who brewed it made the wrong kind, the stuff the causes blindness and can kill you as opposed to the drinkin' kind . . .

I guess I have heard of counterfeit whiskey once. It was when I took an empty pint bottle of Crown Royal and put a lesser-priced bourbon in it then went to a Dallas Cowboys football game. Used it get a pair of tickets from a scalper who no doubt thought he was trading them for a high dollar drink . . .

That sounds skeery How in the world would ya ever know what kind ya were gettin ?I heered they use that stuff fer rocket fuel .

Tulsa_Fireman
5/5/2010, 12:51 PM
I was held captive by this crazy ol moonshiner once. He had all sorts of animals running loose and his sidekick was a pimp. Later a whole bunch of other pimp wannabees showed up and we all got drunk and some staggered away into the night and the others passed out. It was crazy I tell ya. I still have bad dreams of a mean ol parrot chasing me in my sleep.

Thankfully I wasn't the one they kept a talkin' to saying..."Boy...you got a perdy mouph."

I am NOT a pimp wannabee! Dammit!

And 14 goats, a llama, and a catfish head on a fencepost does not "all sorts of animals" make.

soonerbrat
5/5/2010, 03:36 PM
they probably dehydrate it with benzene instead of properly distilling it. That's how they get the extra water out of ethanol used in labs. you should NEVER use 200 proof ethanol from a lab as something to drink. it will kill you.

yermom
5/5/2010, 06:26 PM
maybe you should stop buying Johnnie Walker from street merchants :)

if you get bad stuff from a liquor store you can at least have someone to throw your Molotov Cocktail at

VeeJay
5/5/2010, 08:28 PM
Taxi Stand Juice?

SteelCitySooner
5/6/2010, 12:26 AM

Holy **** I have dreams of being at said party...

olevetonahill
5/6/2010, 07:00 AM

Holy **** I have dreams of being at said party...

Aint got a clue what yall talking about .:cool: