PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for sstarting 5?

stoopified
5/4/2010, 01:57 PM
Now that Jeff has apparently completed the task of reloading(restocking,rebuilding...take your pick) how do you project the starting 5 to look?

Of course it is wilda$$ speculation at this point but here is mine:

Post-Fitzgerald/ Ahmed
Post- Washington/Hardrick
Wing-Clarke/Neal/Thompson
Wing-Davis/Taylor/Pledger
Point-Blair/Newell

At least this is how I see it initially,I could see TJ or Pledger moving into the lineup as the season goes on displacing Davis as I think we will need at least one other potential double digit scorer on the floor.While Iike Cade and think he is an outstanding GLUE guy,I just don't see him as a full-time starter.In a nutshell I see this team being like most KS teams and Capel's non-Blake teams in that scoring will come from the perimeter with our big men mostly scoring off the boards.

I would hope that this team can be more uptempo,soring off defense and fastbreak.If this team is forced to run a lot of halfcourt offense I think we will closely resemble the KS years, and Capel's first( and last season for hat matter) becuse unless Ahmed can be an immediate lowpost threat we will be lacking in interior offense.I DO believe however that this team has the silimilar talent as many of the teams OU has been sucessful with in the last 30 years.I stand by projection of lipping the record from 1-18 to 18-13.

FWIW I have usually been within a couple of games every year on predictions.In Capel's first year I predicted 18-13,we finished 16-15,his second year I picked 24-10 and we were 23-12the following year I picked 27-7 and we were 30-6.Ok last year I admit I was way off,I predicted 24-7 and we ALL know what heppened then,OUch!

Collier11
5/4/2010, 02:15 PM
C- Ahmed (pure hope that he is good enough)
PF- Fitz
SF- Clark
SG- Cade
PG- Blair

Backups who will play

Taylor
Washington
Pledger
Thompson Newell

ndpruitt03
5/4/2010, 02:49 PM
I think Washington and Fitz will be the posts. I don't think we'll see a lot of Ahmed this year.

PG Blair, Newell could start by conference play
SG Cade Davis
SF Cameron Clark
PF Andrew Fitzgerald
C Washington

Pledger, Taylor, Thompson, Newell being the main bench guys.

...sooner
5/4/2010, 03:34 PM
I think Washington and Fitz will be the posts. I don't think we'll see a lot of Ahmed this year.

PG Blair, Newell could start by conference play
SG Cade Davis
SF Cameron Clark
PF Andrew Fitzgerald
C Washington

Pledger, Taylor, Thompson, Newell being the main bench guys.

i like this one.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/4/2010, 03:50 PM
PG - Newell
SG - Cade
SF - Cam Clark
PF - Fitz
C - Washington

I think Calvin Newell will surprise alot of people and be a very good player...

badger
5/4/2010, 05:06 PM
I love OU and all, but I don't even remember who's currently on our roster right now.

:D Of course, if you ask me about our football team or womens basketball team, I might be able to rattle off all the starters and benchers in order of expected appearance.

SoonerShark
5/4/2010, 06:40 PM
No predictions. Hopefully just results.

SoonerShark
5/4/2010, 06:41 PM
Next April if we only have four players on scholarship I am giving up.

badger
5/4/2010, 07:23 PM
Next April if we only have four players on scholarship I am giving up.

Truth: You'll only say you're giving up, but deep down realize you could never give up on OU. :)

ndpruitt03
5/4/2010, 11:40 PM
I think there's a few players that everyone will like on this roster. I just hope Capel can get a group that can play with each other unlike last years team or Blake's first team a little bit.

badger
5/5/2010, 08:28 AM
If we have a set starting five at the beginning of the season I will be shocked.

...sooner
5/5/2010, 08:35 AM
If we have a set starting five at the beginning of the season I will be shocked.

this. its probably gonna take time to see who plays well with who & see who develops over time.

soonerfan28
5/5/2010, 09:17 AM
I'm w/Badger on this one. I'm not sure I even remember who we have besides Davis. I say he'll start at the 3. Beyond that I'll have to go see the roster and if we actually have enough guys to have a starting 5. All jokes aside I hope they have a decent season w/people who want to play here and stay out of trouble.

fwsooner22
5/5/2010, 09:17 AM
I have only seen 4 of them play and only one have I seen a significant amount of time. I'm just gonna cross my fingers.

Boomer.....
5/5/2010, 09:24 AM
I'm w/Badger on this one. I'm not sure I even remember who we have besides Davis. I say he'll start at the 3. Beyond that I'll have to go see the roster and if we actually have enough guys to have a starting 5. All jokes aside I hope they have a decent season w/people who want to play here and stay out of trouble.

Pledger, Fitzgerald and Davis are the only ones who got any playing time last season.

stoopified
5/5/2010, 02:19 PM
If we have a set starting five at the beginning of the season I will be shocked.We have to start 5 guys at the beginning of Our first game and that is what I am looking for is best guess for initial starting 5.If anyone wants to speculate further as to the lineup by the start ofconference season that is fine as well becuse I do think it may be different than the initial one. BTW Shark I agree with you,if we only have 4 scholly players after this season,I'm done.Thankfully I am certain that last year was an anomaly,not be be repeated in the foreseeable future,if ever.

ndpruitt03
5/5/2010, 02:49 PM
It does scare me a little that almost all of Capel's freshmen recruits have been gone after 1 or 2 years. And most of those were not a good thing that they left.

yankee
5/5/2010, 03:28 PM
our strength is definitely going to be the 2/3/SG with davis, pledger, and taylor. even if next year was supposed to be a good year, that's still very deep for that position. hopefully we get better results from pledger, because i really do think he's going to turn into a very good player.

MI Sooner
5/6/2010, 11:57 AM
Washington
Fitzgerald
Davis
Clark
Blair

the_ouskull
5/6/2010, 03:13 PM
First of all, welcome to a youth movement in Norman. If we do anything other than motion-heavy, pick-and-roll/drive-kick, style-offenses, then ouch.

Eight newcomers. But, none of these kids are leaving early. None of them are "better" than OU, and they're going to have the "rapidly-becoming-my-favorite-player-of-his-era" Cade Davis from whom to learn the "right" way to play OU basketball. He's the lone (scholarship) senior on the team this year, and, frankly, if we recruit well, we should recruit right past him, and hope that the team learns from his off-the-court ways moving forward.

1 - Taylor
2 - Pledger
3 - Davis
4 - Clark
5 - FItzgerald

If we're going young, f*ck it, right? Only Davis has any real experience, the other guys playing sparingly last season. Well, not now. They're competing for minutes. Nothing will be guaranteed on this team.

I like it.

A lot of our guys play the same position, yes, but that means that a lot of our guys are going to have to work their butts off to play at all, making the whole team better, and, as a result, making an already versatile team even more so. Yay.

the_ouskull

NormanPride
5/6/2010, 04:12 PM
Do I detect a hint of optimism? Or is it just blind hope that we'll be the plucky young misfits that manage to shock the world with their original and crazy antics on the court? Then, with Coach in the hospital having his cervix taken out or something, the team will rally around Cade, who has learned the real meaning of friendship and teamwork. Hopelessly out-manned, they will take on Kansas in the Big 12 Championship game with their only shot at the NCAAs on the line. With Coach cheering from his hospital bed, Cade will come off the bench late in the 2nd to hit a game-tying three! Sadly, we will not prevail and miss the NCAAs. But, learning about ourselves and being a team is better than any stupid glass bowl, right?

Right?

the_ouskull
5/6/2010, 06:29 PM
If Cade's dad doesn't drink, can we get him to start? Holy sh*t, that was stirring! :D Oh, and maybe in your fictional scenario, our plucky coach can tear his labia like Mark Titus from Ohio State did so that the team can rally around losing their coach and their best three point shooter.

(One of the first mentions of his torn labrum (labia) is near the end of this article, but it's a good starter article for you if you don't already know who he is...)

the_ouskull

stoopified
5/7/2010, 01:50 AM
First of all, welcome to a youth movement in Norman. If we do anything other than motion-heavy, pick-and-roll/drive-kick, style-offenses, then ouch.

Eight newcomers. But, none of these kids are leaving early. None of them are "better" than OU, and they're going to have the "rapidly-becoming-my-favorite-player-of-his-era" Cade Davis from whom to learn the "right" way to play OU basketball. He's the lone (scholarship) senior on the team this year, and, frankly, if we recruit well, we should recruit right past him, and hope that the team learns from his off-the-court ways moving forward.

1 - Taylor
2 - Pledger
3 - Davis
4 - Clark
5 - FItzgerald

If we're going young, f*ck it, right? Only Davis has any real experience, the other guys playing sparingly last season. Well, not now. They're competing for minutes. Nothing will be guaranteed on this team.

I like it.

A lot of our guys play the same position, yes, but that means that a lot of our guys are going to have to work their butts off to play at all, making the whole team better, and, as a result, making an already versatile team even more so. Yay.

the_ouskullWe sign TWO point guards and you apparently have TJ starting at point?Its not that I don't think the kid can't play there but over 2 pure PGs including one with a year's worth of D-1 pt?I personally thought TJ was most likely to start at PG if we hadn't signed Blair and Newell But I think TJ will definitely be on the wing( barring injuries).I can't see us going with just one undersized post either.Are you thinking pressure D,run the floor? If so this would be a running lineup (although I would sub Blair for Davis)BUT would we get any boards?

ndpruitt03
5/7/2010, 07:17 AM
We will have an undersized post anyway. Fitz is 6-7, Neal is 6-6, Thompson 6-8, Washington 6-7. Those are the 4 that will play the most. I don't see Ahmed playing a lot early because he seems like a Longar Longar type to me. Which means he'll have trouble transitioning to this level.

badger
5/7/2010, 07:40 AM
If we have a D1 guy coming in, he won't play this year due to transfer rules.

the_ouskull
5/7/2010, 08:29 AM
Nope. The New Orleans kids can transfer in without any penalty and are immediately eligible.

And I keep forgetting about him. Newell will probably run point to start with. I'd like to see Taylor to where he could, but who knows anymore?

the_ouskull

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 08:52 AM
Why can they transfer in w/o sitting out?

the_ouskull
5/7/2010, 09:51 AM
Any of the kids that were let out of their scholly from the same school as our new point guard.

the_ouskull

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 10:17 AM
Is this a special circumstance? I thought same-division transfers had to sit out a year...

the_ouskull
5/7/2010, 11:34 AM
It is. They do. Two years if they transfer within the same conference.

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
5/7/2010, 11:37 AM
Carl Blair doesn't have to sit out because the school he was going to moved to Div 3 so he'll probably be our starting point next year.

NormanPride
5/7/2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, skull.

stoopified
5/7/2010, 06:41 PM
We will have an undersized post anyway. Fitz is 6-7, Neal is 6-6, Thompson 6-8, Washington 6-7. Those are the 4 that will play the most. I don't see Ahmed playing a lot early because he seems like a Longar Longar type to me. Which means he'll have trouble transitioning to this level.My point was that Skull had only ONE post player in his starting 5.My thinking is if our posts are undersized we should have TWO on the floor.FWIW Fitz is listed at 6'8 and Neal at 6'7.I fail to understand why nobody gives Hardrick any cahnce of playing and maybe Ahmed will actually play as a frosh.