PDA

View Full Version : Messenger Bags: Gay or Nay?

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2010, 05:51 PM
Messenger bags aka: The Man Purse. Gay or not?

Jack Bauer carries one as does Indiana Jones. What say you?

Okla-homey
5/3/2010, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You couldn't possibly gay-up yourself any worse.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2010, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You couldn't possibly gay-up yourself any worse.

That's some first-class wit. Well played. :rolleyes:

GKeeper316
5/3/2010, 06:30 PM
hey if indy carried one, it cant be gay.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 06:34 PM
I am like the resident gay guy and I imagine my opinion doesn't count for **** here. Anyway, I bought a Tumi black leather backpack 10 years ago for about $1,000 and it was one of my smartest purchases ever. Riding my bike during a monsoon rain storm, never mind. Wearing a suit and slinging it over my shoulder, never mind. Keeping my passport and documents that if I didn't have in Arizona would get me into trouble, never mind. Dudes, think about it. Where you gonna keep your passport and stuff? In a man purse? No! In a fanny pack. Oh, hell no! In a backpack? Just maybe.

They are still selling the black leather Tumi backpacks at some Tumi shops. But they are no longer selling them on their website. Tumi brand is just crazy expensive and I suppose canvas is just as good or possibly better than leather.

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/36h/img.ebags.com/is/image/im9/146199_1_1?resmode=3&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=450&wid=360

From the Bravo collection of soft, unstructured and modern day bags comes the ultimate in versatility: the backpack tote. Use the top carry handles to use as a tote, or the hide-a-way straps to use as a backpack. The roomy interior features organizer pockets. The exterior offers several pockets including a water bottle pocket. It is made from soft-yet-tough ballistic nylon.

Well yeah, that soft-yet-tough ballistic nylon does it for me. Now tell me how many women's purses offer soft-yet-tough ballistic qualities. It is a fag bag with an attitude.

Crucifax Autumn
5/3/2010, 06:48 PM
So the answer is gay?

salth2o
5/3/2010, 06:55 PM
So the answer is gay?

Ghey

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2010, 06:57 PM
I have my eye on this bad boy from Fossil, but I am concerned about what it will do to my masculinity.

http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/men/bags/messenger_bags/ns_messenger_jackson-mbg1155p.html?departmentCategoryId=30001&N=0&Ns=p_msc2|0||p_weight|0&rec=7&pn=c&imagePath=MBG1155201

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 06:58 PM
So the answer is gay?

Okay. Yeah, the gays folks are officially okay with ballastic poof backpack wear. At least they ain't about to be killed by a shot in the back.

yermom
5/3/2010, 06:59 PM
put a laptop or books in it and it's not gay

otherwise it's a murse :D

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2010, 07:01 PM
put a laptop or books in it and it's not gay

otherwise it's a murse :D

That's the plan. Books and my iPad.

yermom
5/3/2010, 07:03 PM
ok, after clicking on the link i'm leaning toward gay either way

Scott D
5/3/2010, 07:04 PM
that's not exactly a revelation coming from you Ricky Martin ;)

yermom
5/3/2010, 07:06 PM
i have the medium version of this one in black: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/bagbuilder/custom-messenger#/features=0&sizeId=4&customProductSetId=9&uid=46135

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 07:15 PM
Good grief. What happens when we all carry ballastic bags?

Okla-homey
5/3/2010, 07:24 PM
Good grief. What happens when we all carry ballastic bags?

<Karl voice> Some people call 'em ballistic bags, I call 'em ball sacks. mmm-hmmm.<Karl voice>

soonerinkaty
5/3/2010, 07:45 PM
It's called a satchel.

soonerinkaty
5/3/2010, 07:45 PM
Chuck I never knew you were gay.

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/3/2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/men/bags/messenger_bags/ns_messenger_jackson-mbg1155p.html?departmentCategoryId=30001&N=0&Ns=p_msc2|0||p_weight|0&rec=7&pn=c&imagePath=MBG1155201

$168???? Does it come with a handjob, too?

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 08:15 PM
Real men don't carry messenger bags.

Collier11
5/3/2010, 08:20 PM
Messenger bags aka: The Man Purse. Gay or not?

Jack Bauer carries one as does Indiana Jones. What say you?

no worse than a scooter :D

StoopTroup
5/3/2010, 08:26 PM
Only when Dean carries one will it be un-ghey.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 09:04 PM
Okay big fella just where to you carry your passport?

Collier11
5/3/2010, 09:07 PM
in your pocket

silverwheels
5/3/2010, 09:21 PM
I have my eye on this bad boy from Fossil, but I am concerned about what it will do to my masculinity.

Little late for that, eh? :D

Stitch Face
5/3/2010, 09:29 PM

Um...that bag looks gayer than the one in the link by the gay guy.

Frozen Sooner
5/3/2010, 09:30 PM
I have a "messenger bag" for my laptop and books. Works great, easier to wrangle than a backpack when you're going from class to class quickly.

sooneron
5/3/2010, 09:37 PM
If you're going to spend that much coin, buy something of really good quality, not some knock off brand like Fossil that doesn't really make anything in particular, let alone, particularly well.

I have this bag -
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/700/TB0730

- it holds up very well and a lot of peeps have asked me about where I got it.Plus, you won't look like some Williamsburg hipster (although they dropped the msgr bags years ago) because it looks like a MAN'S Computer briefcase. Mine is all black, because lots of colors are ghey. It has great pockets and plenty of room.

And never, I repeat, never, refer to a bag as a "bad boy". :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2010, 09:39 PM
If you're going to spend that much coin, buy something of really good quality, not some knock off brand like Fossil that doesn't really make anything in particular, let alone, particularly well.

I have this bag -
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/700/TB0730

- it holds up very well and a lot of peeps have asked me about where I got it.Plus, you won't look like some Williamsburg hipster (although they dropped the msgr bags years ago) because it looks like a MAN'S Computer briefcase. Mine is all black, because lots of colors are ghey. It has great pockets and plenty of room.

And never, I repeat, never, refer to a bag as a "bad boy". :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I like this one a bit better: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0222

sooneron
5/3/2010, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't you rather have something that might be able to hold a ... computer, if you need it to do so?

sooneron
5/3/2010, 09:46 PM
I realize this is all personal preference, but to me, a bag that is taller than it is wide seems girlie.

yermom
5/3/2010, 10:01 PM
http://www.roughreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/man-satchel.jpg

yankee
5/3/2010, 10:12 PM
there's more ghey in this thread than all the other threads on the SO combined...

Frozen Sooner
5/3/2010, 10:24 PM
Certainly now that you've weighed in, sunshine.

Ike
5/3/2010, 10:40 PM
After looking at the link SicEm, ghey. My wife tells me she has a purse that looks just like it.

Go for the hard-case briefcase with laptop padding. Paleobaggage for the paleocon. Even better if it's made of stone.

delhalew
5/3/2010, 10:41 PM
Chuck I never knew you were gay.

Better get your Gaydar tuned.

I've always been a backpack kind of guy.

yermom
5/3/2010, 10:43 PM
i go back and forth, but strangely enough, i hate the messenger bags on my bike

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 11:15 PM
i go back and forth, but strangely enough, i hate the messenger bags on my bike

Me too! I did that for several years and strapped the messenger bag on the back of my bike seat. But, what good is that? It didn't even hold a bottle of whiskey. Besides with a backpack I can use my body to protect the whiskey in case I crash or fall over.

John Kochtoston
5/3/2010, 11:20 PM
I'm a fan of them, myself. I received one as a lovely parting gift for an internship, and now also have a smaller one that I use as a bag o' journalism (holds a laptop, notepads, pens, recorder, etc.). Being married, my home is overrun with some of the gheyest crap imaginable, so I couldn't care less about one more thing.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2010, 12:13 AM
I realize this is all personal preference, but to me, a bag that is taller than it is wide seems girlie.

It fits the iPad better.

And in any case, I have the opposite view. The taller than wider bags look more masculine to me. Most purses seem to be longer than they are tall, but I'm no expert on purses.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2010, 12:14 AM
no worse than a scooter :D

Dude, I'll be wearing the messenger bag while riding the scooter on my way to the local coffee house.

Collier11
5/4/2010, 12:27 AM
After drinking a 6er of Zima? :D

proud gonzo
5/4/2010, 01:51 AM
It fits the iPad better.

And in any case, I have the opposite view. The taller than wider bags look more masculine to me. Most purses seem to be longer than they are tall, but I'm no expert on purses.

what, the iPad doesn't come with the turn-it-the-other-way app?

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 08:14 AM
If you carry your keys and wallet in it, it's a purse. But if it's big enough for a laptop and some books, and is used to carry same, it's not a purse.
That said, a Viking battle axe would look gay in the hands of some.

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2010, 08:24 AM
http://poorlydressed.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129104198957299899.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
5/4/2010, 08:30 AM
This is worse:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_68dc2X9bOzA/SwmtDszoj0I/AAAAAAAAAwE/r2DCCqHbecA/s640/PrinceBeerGut.jpg

Oldnslo
5/4/2010, 09:57 AM
I would think that the messenger bag issue follows the First Law of Dupont, first postulated in regard to the use of Lycra and Spandex bikewear.

"The farther away from your bike you wear bike gear, the worse it looks."

I use a messenger bag when I need to tote crap to or from the office when I ride to or from the office. Apart from that: Richard Simmons Gay.

C&CDean
5/4/2010, 10:16 AM
WTF happened to just carrying a briefcase? I have a soft-sided one that came with a Compaq computer about 10 years ago. It holds the laptop, a Harry Potter book or two, pens, ibuprofen, business cards, gum, dental floss, DVDs, CDs, phone charger, camera, and my wallet & passport.

Messenger bags? Gay. Sicem on a scooter with one? Excruciatingly gay.

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 10:49 AM
WTF happened to just carrying a briefcase? I have a soft-sided one that came with a Compaq computer about 10 years ago. It holds the laptop, a Harry Potter book or two, pens, ibuprofen, business cards, gum, dental floss, DVDs, CDs, phone charger, camera, and my wallet & passport.

Messenger bags? Gay. Sicem on a scooter with one? Excruciatingly gay.

Agreed. Been wondering while reading this thread, "why not just use a briefcase" which carries everything. Mine is a hard laptop case which protects/transports anything and sits nicely in my car or in my office. I'm guessing this thread is based on the fact it's hard to carry a handled briefcase while riding a bike or scooter through the streets of Bangkok or Baylorville or wherever.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2010, 10:55 AM
I have the Tumi backpack in the ballistic nylon. I've had it about 6 years, have traveled countless miles with that thing and it still looks like new. Tumi as a product is well worth the cost.

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 11:01 AM
I've had brief cases, but I like my crummy old computer back pack way more: It holds more and is easier to carry. I also have a near-indestructible nylonish LL Bean one-strapper that was very functional, too, either with the strap or carried like a briefcase, except it really wasn't made for a laptop. My backpack doesn't look gay at all, but rather shabby. By contrast, the brief case did give the impression (a false one) that I had a money and class. :D

proud gonzo
5/4/2010, 12:30 PM
This is worse:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_68dc2X9bOzA/SwmtDszoj0I/AAAAAAAAAwE/r2DCCqHbecA/s640/PrinceBeerGut.jpg
I think that dude is pregnant.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 01:12 PM
I've came to the conclusion that if ya ASK if something is Gay er not then it prolly is

Now Real Men Dont carry a purse.
If they have to have the passport and all that other crap with em
The make their Old lady carry that shat in HER purse .:cool:

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 01:35 PM
I've came to the conclusion that if ya ASK if something is Gay er not then it prolly is

Now Real Men Dont carry a purse.
If they have to have the passport and all that other crap with em
The make their Old lady carry that shat in HER purse .:cool:

How'd that work out fer you and yer ol' ladies, Howard ? :D

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:37 PM
I carry all that junk in a secret compartment in my shoe when I travel.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 01:40 PM
How'd that work out fer you and yer ol' ladies, Howard ? :D

Dayum Fine till I runned em off:D

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:41 PM

I call it the Pass Port.

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2010, 01:44 PM
The esteemed gentleman from Virginia has it all figured out.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 01:45 PM

If ya gonna wear these http://www.freakingnews.com/Pictures/1/Odd-Shoes.jpg

Ya may as well go on an carry ya a dayum purse.

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:47 PM
Those are worn with Rockies, right?

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 01:48 PM
Those are worn with Rockies, right?

WTF do I know .
WTF are rockies ?

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:50 PM
Aren't they the jeans that redneck girls wear that make your *** look like an upside-down heart? Someone help me out here.

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2010, 01:51 PM
If you carry your keys and wallet in it, it's a purse. But if it's big enough for a laptop and some books, and is used to carry same, it's not a purse.
That said, a Viking battle axe would look gay in the hands of some.

Carrying a laptop and some books would be its primary purpose. It's not something I would carry with me everywhere I go.

As for a brief case, I have a great leather attache case I've used since I debated in HS but it's not really a great book/laptop solution.

I just need something I can sling over my shoulder that carries my laptop, books, updated plans for the final solution, and some other misc. items like my cell phone or notepad.

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2010, 01:52 PM
"updated plans for the final solution" LOL.

NormanPride
5/4/2010, 01:53 PM
Why is a backpack out of the question?

SicEmBaylor
5/4/2010, 01:55 PM
Why is a backpack out of the question?

I want something a bit dressier than a backpack but more casual than a briefcase.

yermom
5/4/2010, 01:57 PM
Aren't they the jeans that redneck girls wear that make your *** look like an upside-down heart? Someone help me out here.

i had pretty much forgotten about those since leaving Owasso

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:58 PM
I want something a bit dressier than a backpack but more casual than a briefcase.

Oh, so you're trying to coordinate the level of dressiness of your baggage to your clothes and the present situation. Yeah, that's totally not gay.

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 01:59 PM

Shouldn't that be "Ow***o?" Mine got bleeped out.

JohnnyMack
5/4/2010, 02:06 PM
Final solution?

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 02:07 PM
Final solution?

He's talking about the Times crossword.

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2010, 02:15 PM

I used to wonder what jeans with no back pockets would look like. Now I know...

homerSimpsonsBrain
5/4/2010, 02:15 PM
That's the plan. Books and my Maxi-Pad.

Fixed :D

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 02:23 PM
I used to wonder what jeans with no back pockets would look like. Now I know...

Whoa, I guess they're still around

http://www.rockiesjeans.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=548

Now that I look around a bit, big country girls in tight jeans are kinda cool...

C&CDean
5/4/2010, 02:29 PM
Momma has a pair of those rockies jeans she wears to work in the pasture. Her butt looks damn good in them too. Of course she's anything but a "big country girl" though.

Stitch Face
5/4/2010, 03:07 PM
Momma has a pair of those rockies jeans she wears to work in the pasture. Her butt looks damn good in them too. Of course she's anything but a "big country girl" though.

How can you talk about your mother like that?

C&CDean
5/4/2010, 03:19 PM
****ing pervert. Did I say "mother?" I didn't think so.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 03:20 PM
Ya dont talk about Deans Momma
Deans momma is :hot:

JohnnyMack
5/4/2010, 03:28 PM
Here's a picture of Vet and his satchel from when he was younger.

http://www.cowboysindians.com/content/articles/2010-04/ponyexpress/ponyexpress-03-sm.jpg

C&CDean
5/4/2010, 04:07 PM
That ain't his satchel, that's his bitch.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 04:10 PM
And Notice also that what the pack horse aint totin SHE is ;)

JohnnyMack
5/4/2010, 04:19 PM
That ain't his satchel, that's his bitch.

I thought that was you on the left.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 04:27 PM
I thought that was you on the left.

Bro seems Like Dean is always making YOU his bitch .:eek:

bri
5/4/2010, 06:11 PM
I carry my books 'n' stuff in the classic olive green Jack Sack. Maybe it's gay. Maybe it's not. Luckily, I don't give a damn what you lot think. :D

unbiasedtruth
5/4/2010, 07:33 PM
actually I have 3 bags, 2 are a nylon/cloth fabric from Microsoft that I received when I became a MCSE back in the 94 and another 2 years later when I was recertified.

the other is a canvas drab olive green that was given to me from the National Outdoor Leadership School back in 1983 when I completed their school as a prerequisite to becoming an outdoor guide most any where I want to be one....

one of the MS bags is a gym bag now....

the NOL holds all my dive books, manuals, CPR emergency responder stuff now days....

all my NOL information sits in a day backpack.....

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:49 AM
I've had brief cases, but I like my crummy old computer back pack way more: It holds more and is easier to carry. I also have a near-indestructible nylonish LL Bean one-strapper that was very functional, too, either with the strap or carried like a briefcase, except it really wasn't made for a laptop. My backpack doesn't look gay at all, but rather shabby. By contrast, the brief case did give the impression (a false one) that I had a money and class. :D

Yeah, I also have one of these for when I'm shooting. It can store a good sized HD camcorder or one of my slrs and a ****load of lenses and accessories along with my laptop in it's protective sleeve/pocket dealio.

http://www.petrolbags.com/PCBP-1

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:54 AM
I believe that we can all agree that :dean: out kicked his coverage with "momma".

sooneron
5/6/2010, 10:57 AM
Whoa, I guess they're still around

http://www.rockiesjeans.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=548

Now that I look around a bit, big country girls in tight jeans are kinda cool...

Do they come with the crease or without? Cuz that's a dealbreaker. Jeans gotsta have a crease, it makes 'em fancy and all. :stunned:

C&CDean
5/6/2010, 01:09 PM
I believe that we can all agree that :dean: out kicked his coverage with "momma".

Indeed my friend, indeed.

KHS Sooner
5/7/2010, 12:28 PM

Nice.