View Full Version : More news on the issue of Hispanics

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 10:37 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14992841

UC Merced designated Hispanic-serving institution
The Associated Press
Posted: 04/30/2010 01:37:46 PM PDT
Updated: 04/30/2010 01:37:46 PM PDT

MERCED, Calif.—The University of California, Merced is in line for additional federal money to serve its large population of Latino students.

UC Merced officials said Friday the campus has been designated as a "Hispanic-Serving Institution" by the U.S. Department of Education.

Merced joins Riverside as the second UC campus to get the designation, which goes to schools where Hispanics make up at least 25 percent of undergraduates.

The designation makes UC Merced eligible for funding for student support services, faculty development, campus renovation and other purposes.

Campus officials say its undergraduates are 32 percent Hispanic, 33 percent Asian, 22 percent Caucasian and seven percent black.

This week, UC Merced announced it's creating a Chicano Studies minor after students campaigned for one.

Campus renovation? What does that have to do with serving any particular ethnic group?

In the meantime, the other UC campuses are going broke.

delhalew
5/3/2010, 10:47 AM
More useless degrees. Does anyone get an engineering degree anymore?

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 10:56 AM
I thought people were supposed to appreciate diversity. So why spend four years focusing on studying your own culture. Do the Chinese do this?

At any rate, UC Irvine is well over 50% Asian, but it gets no money for it and it doesn't offer a degree in Asian Studies. (They offer a minor, but I bet a large chunk of those in the program are whites looking to learn more about a culture that will likely be employing them in the near future.)

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 12:07 PM
One-third Asian? That means that the school is probably very profitable given the out of state tuition paid by Asians. Don't worry. They will go home to their own countries. It is just a pity if they don't fully immerse themselves in American culture and take that back with them. I mean how many Asians attending OU have never been to a football game?

When I was in school, I always invited an international student to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas or weekends with my family.

For all of its problems, the American education system is still a major foreign currency earner for the US. Invite them over and we can all learn from one another since education is much more than book learning.

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 12:09 PM
I thought people were supposed to appreciate diversity. So why spend four years focusing on studying your own culture. Do the Chinese do this?

At any rate, UC Irvine is well over 50% Asian, but it gets no money for it and it doesn't offer a degree in Asian Studies. (They offer a minor, but I bet a large chunk of those in the program are whites looking to learn more about a culture that will likely be employing them in the near future.)

I am actually going to give props and spek to Leroy. :eek:

yermom
5/3/2010, 12:21 PM
i don't know Chuck. i'm not that thrilled with the idea of educating the Chinese to use our education in their country

i mean when all our engineers in the US colleges are international students that then go home to their countries, what good is that for us? :D

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 12:43 PM
i don't know Chuck. i'm not that thrilled with the idea of educating the Chinese to use our education in their country

i mean when all our engineers in the US colleges are international students that then go home to their countries, what good is that for us? :D

Very good point, yermom. US companies have already sold out the country to the Chinese. If we train their people to operate the technology, then why do they need us for except to buy the end product. I think that it is really the root of America's problems. It is not immigration. It is not terrorism. It is not Wall Street. It is not gay rights. It is not the latest boogie bear created by the Republicans. It is all about being competitive.

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 01:10 PM
One-third Asian? That means that the school is probably very profitable given the out of state tuition paid by Asians.

Great. So when it comes to Hispanics, the feds dump the money into the university. When it comes to Asians, we expect them to dump the money into the university.

Don't worry. They will go home to their own countries. It is just a pity if they don't fully immerse themselves in American culture and take that back with them. I mean how many Asians attending OU have never been to a football game?

Actually, I find their immersion to outpace those of other subgroups. They don't go to football games because they are usually busy studying.

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 01:34 PM
The question ultimately is: Why is this university getting extra money because it enrolled so many Hispanics?

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 01:57 PM
Great. So when it comes to Hispanics, the feds dump the money into the university. When it comes to Asians, we expect them to dump the money into the university.

Actually, I find their immersion to outpace those of other subgroups. They don't go to football games because they are usually busy studying.

Not at all. They can study their little asian asses off just as easiliy in asia. They are in the US to get a education and pick up some American...whatever. Win/win.

GottaHavePride
5/3/2010, 01:58 PM
The question ultimately is: Why is this university getting extra money because it enrolled so many Hispanics?

Because the Federal Government thinks Hispanics are a disadvantaged minority, and will shell out a CRAP-TON of money to educational institutions and nonprofit organizations that aim services toward that population. Same goes for native americans and african-americans. (FYI, most "african-americans" I know don't like that label, saying things like "I'm not an african-american, I'm from Muskogee!")

EDIT: also, the article says they're creating a MINOR in chicano studies. A minor is like 12 hours of elective courses, not nearly a full four-year degree program. Although I agree - why do you need to go to a college to study your own culture?

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2010, 01:58 PM

And how many of them are in Merced illegally?

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 02:11 PM
And how many of them are in Merced illegally?

Probably none. But they'd better be paying out of state tuition if there any.

So, a school gets financially rewarded for enrolling certain members of the population. Would that not lead to discrimination against the other subgroups?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2010, 09:21 PM
Hey Guys, I can't tell whether you're all joking or serious.

When they say 50% of a student body are Asian, what they mean is "of Asian descent," not that they are from Asia and paying out-of-state tuition.

Students actually from Asia are called "international students."

98% of the student body at UC Irvine is from California.

And while they don't have an Asian Studies major, they do have a Asian American Studies major.

And don't feel cheated if UC Merced developed a Chicano Studies minor, they also have:
http://ssha.ucmerced.edu/2.asp?uc=1&lvl2=77&lvl3=77&lvl4=80&contentid=117

UC Merced is just down the road from me, here in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley.

Further, we did away with Affirmative Action in the UC system. Those ethnic classifications are not accessed in the admissions process.

It's the feds giving the extra funds, which is kinda like monopoly money anyway. Maybe the Chicano Studies students will use the money to build a meeting hall for their La Raza meetings and plan the re-claiming of Arizona land.;)

Look at the demographics of the engineering enrollment at UC Merced:

http://ipa.ucmerced.edu/docs/School%20Demographics/School%20of%20Engineering%20Demographics.pdf

Frozen Sooner
5/3/2010, 09:31 PM
EDIT: also, the article says they're creating a MINOR in chicano studies. A minor is like 12 hours of elective courses, not nearly a full four-year degree program. Although I agree - why do you need to go to a college to study your own culture?

Yeah, I say the same thing about an English major. :D

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Guys, I can't tell whether you're all joking or serious.

When they say 50% of a student body are Asian, what they mean is "of Asian descent," not that they are from Asia and paying out-of-state tuition.

Students actually from Asia are called "international students."

98% of the student body at UC Irvine is from California.

And while they don't have an Asian Studies major, they do have a Asian American Studies major.

Does the school get money from the feds?

Further, we did away with Affirmative Action in the UC system. Those ethnic classifications are not accessed in the admissions process.

Yeah, they have no way of knowing if Hector Rodriguez is white or Hispanic, although a real Nobel Prize winner might be able to surmise that his volunteer work for La Raza points to an Hispanic heritage.

Yes, we were born yesterday.

It's the feds giving the extra funds, which is kinda like monopoly money anyway. Maybe the Chicano Studies students will use the money to build a meeting hall for their La Raza meetings and plan the re-claiming of Arizona land.;)

Monopoly money? You mean, it isn't real money? Then what kind of money is it?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, they have no way of knowing if Hector Rodriguez is white or Hispanic, although a real Nobel Prize winner might be able to surmise that his volunteer work for La Raza points to an Hispanic heritage.

No, it's on a point system and you don't get points for having a Spanish sir name. But I think you would get extra points for being an officer of the high school La Raza club or volunteering at Catholic Charities helping illegals apply for green cards.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2010, 09:56 PM
Does the school get money from the feds?

It's a UC so it probably gets a gazillion dollars in federal grant money for hundreds of things.

olevetonahill
5/3/2010, 09:58 PM
No, it's on a point system and you don't get points for having a Spanish sir name. But I think you would get extra points for being an officer of the high school La Raza club or volunteering at Catholic Charities helping illegals apply for green cards.

But do ya get Brownie points if ya have a Spanish Mrs. name ?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2010, 10:00 PM
Monopoly money? You mean, it isn't real money? Then what kind of money is it?

just joking of course. it's real money but not money robbed from another UC that isn't a Hispanic center. It's money from U.S. treasuries/bond purchasers.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/4/2010, 09:22 AM
Who cares if somebody wants to pay UC-numb**** for a Chicano studies degree? Starbucks needs workers too.

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 09:44 AM

Of course, some people don't go to college to actually LEARN anything useful to society. This type just want to feed their prejudices (racist, ethnic, feminist, etc.) and gather ammo for arguing about how noble their group is, and how downtrodden by the racist whites ... who just happened to have built all the ****ing colleges in the first place.

:)

TUSooner
5/4/2010, 09:45 AM
Who cares if somebody wants to pay UC-numb**** for a Chicano studies degree? Starbucks needs workers too.

College students like to be cheated, too: They pay tuition and then skip class or study something useless.

Leroy Lizard
5/4/2010, 03:52 PM

Oh, c'mon. I have served on these communities. (Well, for one academic year.) I know better.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 03:56 PM
Oh, c'mon. I have served on these communities. (Well, for one academic year.) I know better.

Got Fired huh ?

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 03:57 PM
Prolly fer arguing with every body :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
5/4/2010, 04:02 PM
It's a UC so it probably gets a gazillion dollars in federal grant money for hundreds of things.

Nice dodge. The question was whether the school got money from the feds for enrolling Hispanics.

just joking of course. it's real money but not money robbed from another UC that isn't a Hispanic center. It's money from U.S. treasuries/bond purchasers.

In other words, it's our money. And it's very real.

Whether schools should get money or not for having large numbers of enrolled Hispanics is a question worth debating. Sweeping the issue under the rug by pretending it's no big deal just sidesteps the issue.

If a school is not supposed to discriminate, which assumes that every student is equally valued regardless of their ethnicity, then why do schools get rewarded for having students of a certain ethnicity on campus? And why do they need the money more than any other school.

Good questions? I'll let you decide.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/5/2010, 12:24 AM

If UC Irvine isn't designated an Asian-serving institution, maybe they need some new grant writers:

Newswise — The University of Maryland has been granted status as a "minority-serving institution" for Asian Americans and related groups, a gateway to targeted federal support for scholarships and the growth of academic programs. It's the first "minority-serving" designation for the University of Maryland.

Half a Hundred
5/5/2010, 01:04 AM

Oh, was that when Regents of the University of California v. Bakke came out? That would explain why you missed that one.

Leroy Lizard
5/5/2010, 11:04 PM
Got Fired huh ?

I wish. It would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Leroy Lizard
5/5/2010, 11:08 PM
Oh, was that when Regents of the University of California v. Bakke came out? That would explain why you missed that one.

It went right over your head. Here's a clue: Having a non-discrimination law doesn't do much good when you have a Hispanic name staring at you in the face. And the applicant has four Hispanic youth groups listed under volunteer work. And the government gives you extra money for enrolling Hispanics.

We also have a law against smoking pot. I guess pot smoking never happens.