PDA

View Full Version : WOW...you can't make this up

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 10:08 AM
This woman is a real piece of work

Published Friday, April 30, 2010

TAMPA — All that keeps Angel Yulee Adams, homeless mother of 15, in a jail cell is the answer to one question:

Is she or isn't she pregnant?

Circuit Judge Tracy Sheehan demanded an answer again on Friday.

Adams, 37, looked small and forlorn, handcuffed in a too-big orange jail jumpsuit. TV cameras zoomed in, waiting. She looked away from the judge. She didn't say a word.

Her attorney told the judge Adams thinks it's her own business. "She believes the question of pregnancy is of a personal nature," he said.

The judge believes the answer is crucial to ensuring that Adams' children are safe. If Adams is pregnant with a 16th child, Sheehan said she wants to know who the father is, and whether he plans to live with Adams and her children.

Adams' attorney, Scott Horvat, provided the names of four family members who have contact with the children. But lacking an answer to the pregnancy question, Sheehan quickly sent Adams back to jail, where the judge sent her Thursday after finding her in contempt of court.

"It doesn't sound like she's getting out anytime soon," Sheehan said.

She scheduled the next hearing for May 27.

The judge said Adams' 12 youngest, all of whom are under 18, would remain at A Kid's Place, a children's shelter near Brandon.

"They've been through an awful lot," Sheehan said. "All they've got is each other."

It was the 30th time Adams had appeared before the judge in 21 months. Sheehan was clearly fed up.

Over that time, Adams lost custody of her children after sheriff's deputies found neglect, then she got them back six months ago. But Adams lost her home after failing to pay rent to the Tampa Housing Authority, then recently was evicted from a two-bedroom rental apartment. All her things were dumped at the curb. She and 12 children wound up in a small motel room on E Busch Boulevard.

Social-service agencies got Adams and her children into a temporary cottage at A Kid's Place. They paid off her $6,000 debt to the Tampa Housing Authority and earlier this week found a rent-free, six-bedroom home for the family.

Adams would have moved into the house on Friday if not for refusing to answer the judge's question.

After she refused, the issue became the fate of the children.

Jerome Jacob told the judge he was the father of two of them. He came to court with his mother, Juanita Jacob. He asked Sheehan to place those two children in his custody. He said his mother would help care for them.

Sheehan asked if Jerome Jacob was supporting the children. He said he had bought them "shoes and stuff." She asked if he was paying child support. He said he hadn't been able to do that since having surgery on his knee.

She rejected his custody request.

The judge also placed a call to the attorney of another father of some of the children. That father, Garry Brown, is serving five years in prison for a cocaine conviction. On a speaker phone, the attorney said Brown was "unavailable."

Adams' attorney said she would prefer that the children remain together in the care of her family, which took them in the last time they were removed from her.

Sheehan said those family members would be asked again.

The judge said Adams can make phone calls from jail to the children's shelter.

"It would be nice if the kids could talk to their mom."

GottaHavePride
5/3/2010, 10:11 AM
Hooray! Keep squirtin' out those welfare babies, lady.

StoopTroup
5/3/2010, 10:12 AM
Veritas....

I know where some kids are that...

n/m :D ;)

yermom
5/3/2010, 10:28 AM
not that i think she is exactly an upstanding citizen, but what does it matter if she is pregnant?

i mean, legally, what is going on here?

GottaHavePride
5/3/2010, 10:32 AM
I would think, if she clearly can't provide for the kids she has and shows poor enough judgment to keep having kids with fathers that don't intend o help support the children... well, if I was the judge I'd take legal custody away from the lady.

And in this case yeah, it's a shame the lady can't be legally prevented from having more kids.

yermom
5/3/2010, 10:37 AM
while i don't exactly disagree with you, why is she in jail?

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 10:43 AM
while i don't exactly disagree with you, why is she in jail?
She is in jail for contempt of court...the judge ORDERED her to divluge if she she is pregnant or not

The judge believes the answer is crucial to ensuring that Adams' children are safe. If Adams is pregnant with a 16th child, Sheehan said she wants to know who the father is, and whether he plans to live with Adams and her children.

The previous fathers have been drug dealers...this all ties into the children are in "the system" and if this woman keeps having drug dealers in the house, then the kids are in danger

NormanPride
5/3/2010, 10:57 AM
How can people fail so much? I mean, really... It becomes hard to believe that you can fail this hard without trying.

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 11:00 AM
I'm surprised she could find anyone to get her pregnant. (Okay, maybe not THAT surprised.)

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00119/b4s_adams0430_119636c.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 11:02 AM
She is a class A bitch to top it all off

TAMPA — A courtroom full of people who paid off Angel Yulee Adams' debts and found a rent-free, six-bedroom home for her and a dozen of her children waited Monday morning for a sign of gratitude, a clue of cooperation. They waited for a thank you.
They didn't get it. Angel Adams, 37, said she was glad to have the home. But she wanted them all out of her life.
"I've been railroaded since day one," she said.
The state says day one was 21 months and 28 hearings ago, when Adams first landed in the courtroom of Hillsborough Circuit Judge Tracy Sheehan. Ever since then, Sheehan said, the state has tried to keep Adams and her children together.
But Adams lost her home after failing to pay rent to the Tampa Housing Authority, then recently was evicted from a two-bedroom rental apartment. All her things were dumped on the curb. She and 12 children wound up in a small motel room on E Busch Boulevard.
Her situation looked a lot better on Monday, thanks to the combined efforts of the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, the state Department of Children and Families, Hillsborough Kids Inc., the Children's Home Society and A Kid's Place — which last week gave her a temporary cottage at its shelter near Brandon.
Officials from most of those agencies packed the judge's courtroom Monday to give a status report. Nick Cox, DCF's regional director, spoke for them.
"Everyone has bent over backward," he said. "The mother has been less than gracious."
Hillsborough Kids volunteered to help cover the more than $6,000 she owes to the Tampa Housing Authority. The Children's Home Society paid the first month's rent for the six-bedroom house and found furnishings. Her rent, adjusted for income and the size of her family, will be virtually nothing, Cox said. He couldn't estimate how much the state has spent on her in the past two years.
The 12 children have been out of school for more than a week, but Cox said Adams appears to be a loving mother. She still could lose her children, he said, if she doesn't work with caseworkers and show the state she is adequately caring for them.
"From a legal standpoint, she's backing us into a corner," Cox said. He asked the judge to tell Adams to "stop complaining and start cooperating."
Judge Sheehan gave her a lecture.
Adams would not have sat through 28 hearings if her kids had been fed, got their medicines and were living in a good home, the judge said. "We know you want us out of your life," she told Adams. "We will be thrilled to close this case when you have all these things."
Adams sat at a table just below the judge's bench, looking away from Sheehan.
"A lot of people have gone way extra miles for you," Sheehan said. "Do you understand that?"
Adams replied quietly, "No comment, your honor."
"Hear what I'm saying," the judge told her. "Reach out your hand to these people instead of looking a gift horse in the mouth and asking for more, more, more."
After the hearing, Adams said she's a proud Florida native, a descendent of David Levy Yulee, a former U.S. senator and plantation owner who built the Yulee Railroad line in North Florida in the mid 1800s and was later imprisoned for aiding the Confederacy. She once worked in a linen factory. She has three other older children, besides the 12 who live with her.
She said her misfortunes began when she scuffled with a sheriff's deputy two years ago. It happened when her 9-year-old son was suspended for bringing a knife to school. She was two months pregnant. After her arrest, she said her troubles snowballed.
The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office removed her children after finding neglect in the home. She got her kids back six months ago, but the father of 10 of them, Garry Brown, was sentenced to five years for a cocaine conviction. Without his help, she said, she fell into debt. Hillsborough Kids paid the rent for her last apartment.
Adams said she wasn't planning on more children, but "whatever God wants to happen is okay with me."
Outside the courtroom, across the hall, Cox said DCF believes in keeping families together. That's the agency's main mission.
"She is the ultimate test of our belief."

MrJimBeam
5/3/2010, 11:03 AM
Maybe Sandra Bullock can adopt some of those and turn them into O-Linemen.

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 11:29 AM
TAMPA — A courtroom full of fools and imbeciles who paid off Angel Yulee Adams' debts and found a rent-free, six-bedroom home for her and a dozen of her children waited Monday morning for a sign of gratitude, a clue of cooperation. They waited for a thank you, like the bag of dolts they are.

Fixed.

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 11:34 AM
TAMPA — A courtroom full of nannie state liberals who paid off Angel Yulee Adams' debts and found a rent-free, six-bedroom home for her and a dozen of her children waited Monday morning for a sign of gratitude, a clue of cooperation. They waited for a thank you, like the bag of suckers they are.
NOW...it's fixed

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe Sandra Bullock can adopt some of those and turn them into O-Linemen.
HEH...or maybe a running back...or two...

TUSooner
5/3/2010, 11:50 AM
I agree with NP: No way you fail so bad so often without trying. And she's an ungrateful ****ing cow as well. All those people bailing her out so she doesn't have to pay the price of her own irresponsibility and she still bitches about being the victim. At some point do you forfeit your chance to have society give a damn about whether you live or die?

Cox said DCF believes in keeping families together. That's the agency's main mission. "She is the ultimate test of our belief." No kidding! :D

SoonerStormchaser
5/3/2010, 12:27 PM
Seriously, why can't the courts order sterilizations
for extreme cases like this? Most of us are thinking
it...I'm just saying it

yermom
5/3/2010, 12:28 PM
racist.

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 12:37 PM
racist.

Whoa...let's back up the bigotry bus here...

I am confused by the racist statement here

yermom
5/3/2010, 12:40 PM
he's only saying that because she's black :D

Sooner in Tampa
5/3/2010, 12:48 PM
:gary:

tommieharris91
5/3/2010, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised she could find anyone to get her pregnant. (Okay, maybe not THAT surprised.)

If you're desperate and slingin' dope...

Dio
5/3/2010, 01:04 PM

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 01:13 PM
Man, that is the ultimate say-no-to-drugs message.

SunnySooner
5/3/2010, 01:21 PM
This story is so FUBARed on so many levels. I like how she says she will leave having more children up to God. Yeah, it's clear by your behavior that obeying God is your number one priority. Because we all know how much God approves of having kids with several different men while not being married to any of them. Grrr. This whole deal is just disgusting. I can't believe they actually expected her to thank them. Don't they know she's the "victim", and is therefore "entitled" to whatever they give her, plus so much more? Blech. I have to stop thinking about this before I hurl. Poor kids, I bet she'll be a grandmother very soon if not already, and the cycle just turns another loop. We'll never have it, but mandatory birth control (as in an IUD or the shot) for women on welfare would solve so many problems like this. Having kids is a privilege, not a right, and if you are so broke you need the government to feed you, then you shouldn't be allowed to bring kids into that. If you get off your *** and start supporting yourself, you can have as many as you want. Til then, if you want a check, you get a shot first.

tommieharris91
5/3/2010, 01:23 PM
Having kids is a privilege, not a right...

Tell this to the Oklahoma Legislature.

Here comes the abortion debate! :pop:

C&CDean
5/3/2010, 01:24 PM
Am I the only person who thought "bet she's black" when they read this?

I guess that makes me racial.

yermom
5/3/2010, 01:26 PM
actually, i thought she was Hispanic from the name

C&CDean
5/3/2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah boy, that "Adams" surname reeks of latino...

yermom
5/3/2010, 01:42 PM
i kinda stopped at Angel :D

i just kinda read it as "AHN-HEL"

i blame Dexter

C&CDean
5/3/2010, 01:47 PM
Angel is a masculine name anyhow. As in "AHN-HEL."

Harry Beanbag
5/3/2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, Angel is a dude's Hispanic name.

yermom
5/3/2010, 02:15 PM
says you guys

C&CDean
5/3/2010, 02:17 PM
Angelina would be the femine version.

You didn't pay attention in Espanol at all, did you hippy boy?

yermom
5/3/2010, 02:20 PM
it's been a while :D

i don't remember learning too much about names officially though either

SbOrOiNaEnR
5/3/2010, 02:28 PM
Apparently she has a kindred spirit in OKC. Link. (http://newsok.com/woman-with-four-kids-in-car-accused-of-dui/article/3457277)

An Oklahoma City woman was jailed on complaints she was driving under the influence and endangering the lives of four children, and her mother was arrested on a complaint that she tried to take responsibility for her daughter’s actions.

And it ain't her first time in the pokey:

In 2009, Davenport received a five-year deferred sentence on a no contest plea to an Oklahoma County felony charge of placing bodily fluids on a government employee, court records show.

And our upstanding citizen is.....

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/922211/medium.jpg

Seriously...her and Angel could be sisters.

SouthFortySooner
5/3/2010, 02:42 PM
My question is, which came first the 15 kids or 'The Children's Home Society'? I'm thinkin the gubmint put'em all in a house then named it.

ADs_Agent
5/3/2010, 04:41 PM
Crime rates have dropped consistently since abortion was legalized - Steve Levitt ("Freakonomics")

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 05:02 PM
Just another girl
Maybe nice, but you're not that smart

-- U-Roy

Leroy Lizard
5/3/2010, 05:04 PM
I just realized that she's not even nice.

Sooner in Tampa
5/4/2010, 12:09 PM
Well...she is out of jail...I am excited to see what will happen next

TAMPA - Saying she did not wish to burden the taxpayers any longer, a circuit judge (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/circuit-judge/) this morning released Angel Adams, the homeless mother (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/homeless-mother/) of 12 dependent children who was jailed last week after refusing to tell the court whether she was pregnant for the 16th time in 21 years.
Adams, 37, appeared today before Hillsborough Circuit Judge (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/circuit-judge/) Tracy Sheehan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sheehan/) for the third time since Thursday. That's when the judge found Adams in contempt for refusing to testify and placed the 12 children in foster care.
Sheehan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sheehan/) decided to release Adams without posing the pregnancy question.
"She has no interest in purging her contempt charge," Sheehan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sheehan/) said, "and I have no interest in keeping her in jail."
The judge said that since Adams' 12 dependent children are in state custody, there is no concern about whom the mother associates with.
"She can get pregnant by another man if she so chooses," the judge said.
After the court's decision was announced, Adams said in open court she was not pregnant. Dressed in a baggy, orange jail jumpsuit and in handcuffs, Adams apologized to the judge and caseworkers trying to help her find a rent-subsidized house last week.
"My children have not been around any men aside from their father," she said. "I do want to apologize to you and say I'm sorry to everyone else in the room. Everyone went out of their way to get me a house."
Sheehan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sheehan/) said the contempt citation stood, even though she ordered Adams' release.
"I, in no way, will reward you for your contemptuous behavior," the judge said, "apology or not."
Last week's hearing initially was called to update the judge on the housing situation for Adams. The judge retains jurisdiction over the family from a case two years ago, when Adams lost custody of her children because of neglect allegations. The children were returned to Adams six months ago, and Adams has had regular status hearings before Sheehan.
Hillsborough Kids Inc., the child-welfare agency assisting Adams, had worked for a week to secure Section 8 housing (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/section-8-housing/) for her and the children. A six-bedroom, two-story home in Sulphur Springs (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sulphur-springs/) was being prepared for them to live in rent free.
One of the requirements of the housing was the completion of a safety plan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/safety-plan/) for the children in which Adams was to list everyone who would be coming into the home, including relatives and friends. She refused to give any names, saying she didn't want to lose the children if an unauthorized person (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/unauthorized-person/) visited.
She eventually gave the names of four relatives who would be frequent visitors. That was when Sheehan (http://www2.tbo.com/topic/k/sheehan/) asked whether Adams was pregnant. The judge said if Adams was pregnant, then the name of that baby's father was not on the list. Adams refused to answer. Later, through her attorney, she said the question was too personal.
Adams' plight came to light two weeks ago, when she had moved herself and her children into a single room at a rundown motel on East Busch Boulevard after being evicted from her apartment.
She complained that Hillsborough County and the state were not helping enough, even though, according to court documents, she was drawing $2,600 a month in government food and cash assistance. She also objected to caseworkers and child-protection investigators making frequent inquiries into her home.
Her comments sparked a widespread debate about how much the state should dole to the needy, particularly to a woman who has 15 children and doesn't work. The judge's order releasing Adams said that a lot of government money has been spent on this case.
The order said agencies were prepared to pay $1,900 a month in food stamps and $600 in cash to pay for utilities and other expenses at her new house. Hillsborough Kids had paid a 4-year-old back-rent debt of $6,000 so Adams would be eligible for subsidized housing.
Two years ago, Angel lost her children to foster care following neglect allegations. Her boyfriend, the father of at least two of the children, had been jailed on drug dealing charges. He is in prison until 2014.
Adams and her children were reunited six months ago, and the family remains under the jurisdiction of Hillsborough family court.
Adams' children are at A Kid's Place, a shelter near Brandon, for foster children. Child welfare officials say they appear happy, are enrolled at a school on the property and are getting medical check-ups. A meeting is scheduled for later today to talk about a long-term plan for the children's placement.
Wade Lijewski, director of the Children's Home Society, said that several relatives of Adams and church members of those relatives have come forward asking to help.
Nick Cox, regional director of the Florida Department of Children & Families, said Adams' apology was a move forward, as the goal of the department is always to reunite children with biological parents.
The children will not be reunited with their mother in the foreseeable future, though Adams will be allowed to visit them if she gives notifies officials 48 hours in advance. Cox said the agency will come up with a plan for the family within a week and has a year to decide whether to work toward reunification or ask that parental rights for Adams be terminated.
"What [Adams] did today was a major turnaround," Cox said after the hearing. "I hope it's sincere."

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 12:46 PM
Am I the only person who thought "bet she's black" when they read this?

I guess that makes me racial.

No yer not ;)
signed a racist bastard :cool:

TheHumanAlphabet
5/4/2010, 01:12 PM
Involuntary sterilization?

NormanPride
5/4/2010, 01:24 PM
2.6k a month. That's more than a lot of people earn working very hard.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/4/2010, 02:11 PM
2.6k a month. That's more than a lot of people earn working very hard.

Herein lies the rub.

That is 31.2K of non-taxed "getting free shat from the gubmint" and she probably qualifies for an earned income credit and gets more of that free "Obama" money. I bet she gets 40K/yr or more in gubmint hand outs for popping out babies, whoring and doing drugs.

This is an extreme example, yet an example of who the dems want to hitch their perpetual gubmint ride to and pander to for the vote...

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 02:27 PM
Had a Teacher way back when this "Great Society" crap started out
The Gubment was givin wimmens with Babies a check. Then when they had Mo babies they gots a Bigger check
. The check fer just 1 baby wasnt much but 2 or Mo then they talking serious money

he had the Correct idea of Giving an unwed Mom ( Cause that was the majority of welfare recipients back then) A Livable Check to help raise the kids

One kid was a mistake, Now if they got knocked up again and had a 2nd one, why CUT the Check. Dont keep rewarding Bad behavior :D

Leroy Lizard
5/4/2010, 04:10 PM
Herein lies the rub.

That is 31.2K of non-taxed "getting free shat from the gubmint" and she probably qualifies for an earned income credit and gets more of that free "Obama" money. I bet she gets 40K/yr or more in gubmint hand outs for popping out babies, whoring and doing drugs.

This is an extreme example, yet an example of who the dems want to hitch their perpetual gubmint ride to and pander to for the vote...

Unfortunately, this is not such an extreme example.

badger
5/4/2010, 06:03 PM
Involuntary sterilization?

I remember reading about some dude from Tennessee that had about 20 kids with about eight women and was getting his check garnished for child support. However, state laws said that only about half of his check could go to garnishment... and he was a minimum wager. Thus, some women only got a few dollars a month in child support.

It's definitely a guy issue as much as a girl issue.