PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Earned

I Am Right
5/2/2010, 10:28 AM
Kyle Wingfield Exactly who ‘makes enough money’ in Obama’s eyes?
7:00 pm April 30, 2010, by Kyle Wingfield

“I do think,” you may have heard President Barack Obama say about a group of Americans last week, “at a certain point you’ve made enough money.”

And if you hadn’t heard it before now, you may be wondering who he was talking about.

Perhaps he was speaking to Hollywood — producer/directors such as George Lucas or Steven Spielberg, who were paid $170 million and $150 million, respectively, according to Forbes magazine’s 2009 list. Less generous, but still better than I and probably you, were Jerry Bruckheimer at $100 million and Atlanta’s Tyler Perry at $75 million. Or actors such as Harrison Ford ($65 million) or Adam Sandler ($55 million).

Then again, he might have been talking to America’s television stars. Dr. Phil (McGraw) pulled down $80 million, Forbes reports. Simon Cowell of “American Idol” was close behind at $75 million. And there’s Oprah, our highest-paid celebrity, at $275 million.

But Oprah is one of the president’s biggest backers, so let’s forget the big and little screens and turn to musicians. For all the challenges to that industry, Madonna managed to bring home $110 million. There’s Beyonce Knowles at $87 million; Bruce Springsteen, $70 million; Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews Band, $65 million each; and a cool $60 million for the band Rascal Flatts.

I could mention athletes, but Tiger Woods was in a class of his own at $110 million (a figure he won’t match this year).

Oh, wait — maybe the operative words are “at a certain point”; Obama must have been talking about dead celebrities! It’s been half a century since Rodgers & Hammerstein put out a new musical, but their estates saw $235 million in new earnings. The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, with $90 million, and the King of Rock ’n’Roll, Elvis Presley, with $55 million, also did not do poorly posthumously.

Now, if you think it would have been odd for President Obama to scold celebrities in this way, you’re right. He was talking instead about businessmen – specifically, those who work in finance. Want to guess how many chief executives of financial companies in 2009, according to Forbes, earned as much as the 20 celebs I’ve listed here?

How about none?

In fact, the $2.4 billion in total earnings of the 100 highest-paid CEOs, regardless of industry, barely beat out the $2.1 billion of the twenty-five best-compensated celebs (living ones, that is). Just seven of those 100 CEOs worked in the financial industry.

I don’t begrudge Beyonce, Spielberg or Tiger — or the head of JP Morgan — the pay they receive. Nor do I begrudge Obama his $5.5 million in 2009 income — again, more than I and probably you.

So why does the president begrudge the same to others?

He claims that he doesn’t. The full quote from his Wednesday speech in Quincy, Ill., was:

“I want to be clear, we’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. But part of the American way is you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or you’re providing a good service. We don’t want people to stop fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow the economy.”

The second sentence is the one that defines “fairly earned” for Obama. The man who as a candidate spoke of “spreading the wealth around” has found a matter he considers within his pay grade: other people’s pay.

delhalew
5/2/2010, 10:37 AM
Obama is a man who clearly never heard the phrase "you don't **** were you eat."

Chuck Bao
5/2/2010, 02:52 PM
What a load of tripe! What is weird or maybe not weird at all is that the Republicans are balking at Wall Street reform.

I thought it was clear what President Obama meant in his speech directed at the Wall Street brokers. That article quoted by I am Right was so off the mark and totally disingenious in trying to distract people away from needed reform on Wall Street by trying to confuse the issue with Hollywood and the vast and highly profitable TV market.

This is my take on it: Hollywood is the US's major export product. Like it or not, Oprah has millions of female fans all over the world.

On the other hand, Wall Street is just a game, like one of those role playing games on the internet where a few heavy weights join forces to beat the snot out of everyone else. This is the heart of our capitalistic system. We don't even know their names and they can literally ruin the lives of millions of people, if they think that they can profit from it.

Do you see a difference here?

Frozen Sooner
5/2/2010, 02:57 PM
That article quoted by I am Right was so off the mark and totally disingenious

Insert surprised face here.

GKeeper316
5/2/2010, 03:05 PM
who the **** is kyle wingfield and why do i give a rats *** what he has to say?

GottaHavePride
5/2/2010, 03:42 PM
who the **** is kyle wingfield and why do i give a rats *** what he has to say?

This.

GottaHavePride
5/2/2010, 03:44 PM
Oh. He's a blogger for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. His bio:

Kyle Wingfield joined The Atlanta Journal-Constitution as an opinion columnist in May 2009. The move to Georgia was a homecoming for the Dalton native, who spent the previous four and a half years as an editorial-page writer for The Wall Street Journal based in Brussels, Belgium. In Europe, Wingfield wrote editorials and columns about topics including international trade, antitrust cases, the telecommunications and aerospace industries, energy and environmental policy, British politics and Russia. Prior to that, he worked as a reporter for the Associated Press in Atlanta and Montgomery, Ala., where he wrote about education, courts and general-interest stories.

Wingfield is a 2001 graduate of the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication and the recipient of the college’s John E. Drewry Young Alumnus Award. An Eagle Scout, Wingfield looks forward to becoming involved with a church and community organizations in Atlanta. He lives in Atlanta with his wife and their infant son.

StoopTroup
5/2/2010, 04:08 PM
I think the main thing that baffles all of us is mostly the idea that someone can run a Major Corporation into the RED and then get an "Attaboy" along with a bonus while the Stockholders and Employees all wonder why they get rode for poor performance?

The fact that the Folks who sit on these Board of Directors may be linked to this is just another thing that continues to baffle people as they seem to have the attitude that if they don't do it...they'll end up with someone even more inept?

Many of you can continue to bash this POTUS if you want but I think he's barely shaking things up that need to be shook up. I'll agree that there are plenty of other things that are right and wrong too...but it's amazing the amount of dough and the attitude some of these folks who are involved in making sure people who invest whether at the smallest level or the largest...can feel that they too have just as much of a chance in making or breaking in the Stock Market, Commodities, Mutual Funds etc...