PDA

View Full Version : The Oil In the Gulf

soonerhubs
5/1/2010, 06:57 AM
I hadn't seen a thread on it yet, unless some butthead made a cryptic title. The reports say the ecological impact could be the worst, but I didn't want to take the news peeps for their word with so much hyperbole being the norm these days. Anyone know much beyond what the talking heads have said?

Flagstaffsooner
5/1/2010, 07:07 AM
Looks bad. The ecology of the area is messed up as it is already.

delhalew
5/1/2010, 08:23 AM
Economically as well as environmentally. It's the start of the fishing and seafood season, and they can't go out there because of the oil. You can forget about gulf coast shrimp and oysters. Some of the barrier island could easily have their ecosystem destroyed for decades.

Okla-homey
5/1/2010, 10:23 AM
In short, this mess is liable to ruin what was left and/or rebuilt after Katrina on the LA and MS gulf coast.

Somebody down there, at some time, must really have p1ssed Miss Karma off badly.

I don't care much what happens to NOLA because it's already a failed enterprise, but the real down side IMHO, is the fact the greenies will get to wave their oily bird washing rags around as they make renewed assaults against off-shore drilling.

TUSooner
5/1/2010, 11:20 AM
In short, this mess is liable to ruin what was left and/or rebuilt after Katrina on the LA and MS gulf coast.

Somebody down there, at some time, must really have p1ssed Miss Karma off badly.

I don't care much what happens to NOLA because it's already a failed enterprise, but the real down side IMHO, is the fact the greenies will get to wave their oily bird washing rags around as they make renewed assaults against off-shore drilling.

Except for your hideously and egregiously erroneous statement about NOLA being a failed enterprise ;) this is correct. This is going to be
bad x 10000000000000000.
And BP seems utterly clueless as to how to stop the flow. The blow-out valve is teh fail and nothing else has worked against such a massive flow. They are talking 2 months at the earliest before completing a relief well. The only thing that can save the Gulf Coast is a strong & sustained north wind, IOW, a miracle worthy of the Book of Exodus. After seeing pictures of the burning rig on the web today, I thought, "They never should have put out the fire. At least it was burning off the oil."

sooner_born_1960
5/1/2010, 11:54 AM
Didn't the rig sink?

SoonerInFla
5/1/2010, 12:40 PM
Didn't the rig sink?

Yes, it sank. I work at the end of Southwest Pass which is the main artery entering the Miss. River. We're just west of the location. Weather is bad with the winds blowing out of the SE. They're gonna switch out of the West probably today which isn't good for Miss. Al & Fla. Every day the number of barrels this thing is discharging grows. I don't know a lot about drilling but they say the cement going into the hole is cracked and the casing is damaged which basically means even if the shutoff valve would work now it wouldn't help. Will take a couple months to build some dome thing to put over it or about the same amount of time to get another rig on location and drill the relief well next to it. Not looking good especially with hurricane season coming up. The impact of this accident is really gonna be a mess.

delhalew
5/1/2010, 02:30 PM
I have a special attachment to the gulf coast, especially LA, MS, and AL. I feel most sorry for the coon-asses. Louisiana has had a hard run. What Homey mentioned above about the greenies dooshbaggery is just another sad fact.

Ike
5/1/2010, 03:18 PM
From what I understand though, this *could* have been caused by a failure of the blowout preventer...which *could* have been a result of something else. I don't know nothing from nothing about this, but I'll bet that seconds before this all happened, there was someone on that rig that said "Oh ****".

Skysooner
5/1/2010, 03:19 PM
I used to work on an offshore rig just like this one for Shell. I still don't know quite what went wrong with the whole mess. I doubt the whole truth will come out until it is lawsuit time and even then it will be convoluted. The whole operation should have been really safe. All those offshore wells are engineered with huge safety factors built in. I just wonder whether mother nature got pissed off, BP skimped on cement or whether it was human error on the crew's fault.

soonerhubs
5/1/2010, 03:20 PM
It may be lame for the greenies to whine, but the f-tards at BP are providing an extremely strong case against off-shore drilling.

In fact BP is wearing the d***-bag hat this year.

delhalew
5/1/2010, 03:59 PM
I used to work on an offshore rig just like this one for Shell. I still don't know quite what went wrong with the whole mess. I doubt the whole truth will come out until it is lawsuit time and even then it will be convoluted. The whole operation should have been really safe. All those offshore wells are engineered with huge safety factors built in. I just wonder whether mother nature got pissed off, BP skimped on cement or whether it was human error on the crew's fault.

It could be BP's fault( I've heard the feds have been on their ***), could be operator error, or it could be that once in lifetime cluster**** of fate.

Skysooner
5/1/2010, 05:13 PM
It could be BP's fault( I've heard the feds have been on their ***), could be operator error, or it could be that once in lifetime cluster**** of fate.

Ultimately BP might face lawsuits from the rig company too. The guy in charge would have been a BP company man. If he made errors in judgment it will cost them big time.

Chuck Bao
5/1/2010, 05:21 PM
These offshore accidents seem to be happening more frequently. Last year, there was that oil rig fire and leak in the Timor Sea, which is being called one of Australia's worst oil spill disasters (Google Montara oil spill).

But, it was tiny compared to this Gulf of Mexico disaster. I think Montara was leaking approximately 3,000 barrels per day. The bad news is that it took them almost 3 months to fix the leak.

The investigation came back in January and they directly blamed the operator for failing to install some pressure control device in one of the many off-shooting drill holes. (I know that is not technically correct for you petroleum engineers out there, but you get the idea). The investigation results also cited the operator for many shoddy practices and not even having a diaster contingency plan.

The real kicker in this diaster was that 1) the operator is the Thailand state-owned exploration company, 2) the rig was in Indonesia's territorial waters and 3) the worst country affected was Australia. I guess **** rolls down hill. ;)

To be fair to the Thai company, they only bought the rig five months earlier and I don't know if that played a part in leading to the diaster.

What is happening here? Is it the mad rush to drill due to high crude prices over the last several years? Is it a naturally high-risk enterprise with a certain percentage likely to end in diaster? Is this just making the news more because new technology raised the pumping volume and therefore the increased environmental risks? I don't know. I am just asking.

Okla-homey
5/1/2010, 07:00 PM
Ultimately BP might face lawsuits from the rig company too. The guy in charge would have been a BP company man. If he made errors in judgment it will cost them big time.

Problem is, it looks like all the physical evidence is now at the bottom of the Gulf. Making this thing a beyotch to litigate.

StoopTroup
5/1/2010, 07:53 PM
Wasn't it the Republicans that got it all started in the first place? Aren't they the ones that kept saying how little of an impact it is even if there was an accident?

Didn't Bush and Palin push for some stuff in Alaska during the last Bush term?

I see no reason why this current POTUS should take any heat for trying to get more platforms over on the east coast.

I know we need the oil but I think Obama has gone soft on the other energy ideas. I think every Politicians ought to be trying to get money into the hands of folks with legit solid ideas. The Windmill thing is a great idea IMO and if building Nuclear Power has to be done until we have a better option...I say we build more of those. I hate those unplug your cell phone chargers ads. I think we should be finding ways to make electric cheaper and more efficient and more available. If there are other renewable clean energy ideas out there...we should be pouring our efforts into R&D IMO.

Also has Prince Williams Sound recovered 100% since the Exxon Valdez?

StoopTroup
5/1/2010, 07:59 PM
Prince William Sound Recovery Info

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/topic_subtopic_entry.php?RECORD_KEY%28entry_subtop ic_topic%29=entry_id,subtopic_id,topic_id&entry_id%28entry_subtopic_topic%29=258&subtopic_id%28entry_subtopic_topic%29=13&topic_id%28entry_subtopic_topic%29=1

Since that was 1989...21 years ago...this one should be OK by the time you folks are wondering who the old dude is wandering around the Stadium all the time. :D

Recovery, therefore, is in the eyes, the context, and the special interests of the beholder. While it is safe to say that nearly all of us are impressed by the degree to which Prince William Sound has rebounded from the spill and its aftermath, it would also be a fairly good bet that there will be disagreement for some time on the nature and details of that rebound and how far it needs to progress for recovery to be considered complete. Based on the perspective we in NOAA ERD have gained through two decades of spill response and from the results of our intertidal monitoring program, we consider Prince William Sound to be well along the road to recovery--but not yet recovered.

Turd_Ferguson
5/1/2010, 08:47 PM
prolly some libtard greenpeace ****er's blew it up...

Curly Bill
5/1/2010, 08:49 PM
prolly some libtard greenpeace ****er's blew it up...

Naw dude, it's Bush's and Palin's fault. Don't you know nothin? :D

StoopTroup
5/1/2010, 09:07 PM
I was thinking it was Reagan's fault.

Turd_Ferguson
5/1/2010, 09:58 PM
I was thinking it was Reagan's fault.that doesn't surprise me.

Curly Bill
5/1/2010, 10:33 PM
Nope.

Skysooner
5/1/2010, 11:21 PM
Problem is, it looks like all the physical evidence is now at the bottom of the Gulf. Making this thing a beyotch to litigate.

Yes and no. Submersibles will be able to reach the BOPs which may indicate some issues. I agree that if the drillers and company man all choose to shade the truth that it will be very tough. Still this does not happen much. I would probably even lay the blame at the foot of some BP engineer that didn't do his "gazentas" properly.

TUSooner
5/2/2010, 08:42 AM
I'm not an engineer, obviously, but why can't the well be covered/plugged with massive amounts of concrete (or something)? Maybe a dumb question, but sincere.

delhalew
5/2/2010, 09:04 AM
Well they are talking about using a dome to cover it. Apparently that will take a while to construct. With no way to shut off the flow and broken casing, they can't couple to the remaining casing in order to plug it. While also not an engineer, that is the only way I know to put it. I'm sure somebody else can clarify.

Skysooner
5/2/2010, 11:48 AM
Well they are talking about using a dome to cover it. Apparently that will take a while to construct. With no way to shut off the flow and broken casing, they can't couple to the remaining casing in order to plug it. While also not an engineer, that is the only way I know to put it. I'm sure somebody else can clarify.

You have it right. The well is too deep for anything but submersibles to work on the wellhead. When the blowout occurred, the ability to hook anything onto it went away due to threads being destroyed, etc. This is analogous to those Kuwaiti wells that were blown up by Iraq. The firefighters had to basically cap those wells to shut off flow. Still the wells were destroyed and had to be redrilled.

The plan is to put a dome of some sort over it to shut off oil flow and to drill a relief well to intersect the main one so that cement can then be pumped to seal it off. At these depths and water pressures, it all takes months of engineering work.

1890MilesToNorman
5/2/2010, 12:04 PM
I know you guys who are bashing this oil spill thingy had already sold your cars, lawn mowers and anything that runs on gas and also stopped buying anything plastic because it's the right thing to do. :cool:

Okla-homey
5/2/2010, 12:06 PM
Perhaps nuclear depth charges are in order? The Navy has a bunch just collecting dust.

It would be cool to watch even if it didn't work.:D

delhalew
5/2/2010, 12:59 PM
Perhaps nuclear depth charges are in order? The Navy has a bunch just collecting dust.

It would be cool to watch even if it didn't work.:D

LMAO. You have my vote. I wonder if sonic charges would make the sea life scatter before detonation?

delhalew
5/2/2010, 12:59 PM
Obviously reefs and oysters and **** are ****ed regardless...they're prolly dead already.

TUSooner
5/2/2010, 01:04 PM
I know you guys who are bashing this oil spill thingy had already sold your cars, lawn mowers and anything that runs on gas and also stopped buying anything plastic because it's the right thing to do. :cool:

I agree. I want to be on record in this august forum as saying that I am not and never have been opposed to offshore drilling. It could have been done better over the decades; e.g., less gashing if the marshes (letting in destructive sea water) and better contingencies for this type of disaster which could not have been unforeseen. Nonetheless, few in any worthy endeavors are risk free, and Louisiana itself has reaped great benefits from the offshore industry. This sucks, but facile buffoonery from the Bill Mahers of the world does no good.

Okla-homey
5/2/2010, 01:53 PM
Obviously reefs and oysters and **** are ****ed regardless...they're prolly dead already.

why? srsly. Oil floats on top of water. Said organisms live underneath the surface. I heard this morning, at its thickest, the oil film is only the thickness of two (2) nickels.

I mean sure, if the entire gulf was sealed by a film of oil, blocking out light and air, I can see how that would strangle the creatures underneath, but this is nowhere near that bad.

Now, if the oyster beds are situated in an area that is periodically above the surface, like in a tidal basin, I could see how the oil would coat them. But most folks don't eat oysters taken from that kind of a bed because they are too prone to contamination from all kinds of nasty stuff, not least of which is NOLA's poop and storm water which gets piped out into that shallow water.

delhalew
5/2/2010, 02:00 PM
why? srsly. Oil floats on top of water. Said organisms live underneath the surface. I heard this morning, at its thickest, the oil film is only the thickness of two (2) nickels.

I mean sure, if the entire gulf was sealed by a film of oil, blocking out light and air, I can see how that would strangle the creatures underneath, but this is nowhere near that bad.

Now, if the oyster beds are situated in an area that is periodically above the surface, like in a tidal basin, I could see how the oil would coat them. But most folks don't eat oysters taken from that kind of a bed because they are too prone to contamination from all kinds of nasty stuff, not least of which is NOLA's poop and storm water which gets piped out into that shallow water.

I was just working under the assumption that, even though oil floats, some of it would end up on reefs and oysterbeds near the well. Also, I wasn't sure about the depth of reefs. I figured they ranged from very deep to near the surface. So what about sonic charges, would that chase off remaing fish and/or dolphins and whales still in the blast radius?

Skysooner
5/2/2010, 02:03 PM
I was just working under the assumption that, even though oil floats, some of it would end up on reefs and oysterbeds near the well. Also, I wasn't sure about the depth of reefs. I figured they ranged from very deep to near the surface. So what about sonic charges, would that chase off remaing fish and/or dolphins and whales still in the blast radius?

Wasn't the rig working in 5000' of water? I wasn't sure, but it is deep out where they are drilling. I broke out as an engineer working rigs in that area. Reefs are very shallow water phenomenon. Coral can't live very deep at all. Large fluctuations in water level, salinity and clarity can cause them to die quite easily. It is when that oil gets close to shore that the greatest problem exists.

delhalew
5/2/2010, 02:11 PM
Wasn't the rig working in 5000' of water? I wasn't sure, but it is deep out where they are drilling. I broke out as an engineer working rigs in that area. Reefs are very shallow water phenomenon. Coral can't live very deep at all. Large fluctuations in water level, salinity and clarity can cause them to die quite easily. It is when that oil gets close to shore that the greatest problem exists.

Yeah, the well is at a depth of 5000'. I figured the topography of the ocean floor varies greatly. Valleys, chasms and trenches?

JohnnyMack
5/2/2010, 02:42 PM
Given the choice I'd rather have to deal with the threat of this type of oil spill than I would have our troops sent halfway around the world to a desert and get blown away to secure oil.

I still believe that nuclear power is the way of the future, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that the oil industry would be interested in maintaining the status quo.

Skysooner
5/2/2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the well is at a depth of 5000'. I figured the topography of the ocean floor varies greatly. Valleys, chasms and trenches?

Not out there it doesn't. In the deep ocean yes, but this is off the mouth of a delta. The Mississippi Delta is built right out to the continental shelf there. There will be some valleys and chasms on the shelf but after you get out beyond the shelf in this particular area, it is what we call an abyssal plain which is pretty flat and featureless. I spent a month offshore taking core on the Shell Mars project, so I got to see pictures sent back by the semi-submersibles when they were checking the casing liner and connection points on the seafloor.

StoopTroup
5/2/2010, 04:11 PM
Why hasn't Bill Gates come up with our solution yet?

WTH is he doing?

The above message was posted on a PC and not an Iphone in hopes that Bill will hear my plea.

Ike
5/2/2010, 08:25 PM

A lot of the dispersive chemicals that are used to break up the oil end up sinking the oil as well. At that point it's not crude oil, but something else similar to oil, and that can and probably will wind up on oyster beds...in what amount, nobody knows.

MR2-Sooner86
5/2/2010, 08:42 PM
Lets see, where does oil come from? Oh yeah, it comes from the Earth. So why should we care? This is nothing more than the Earth blowing a load on itself. Yes, it's messy at first but it'll clean itself up over time.

StoopTroup
5/3/2010, 03:26 AM
I wonder if Steve Jobs could create an App for the IPAD that would suck all of that oil up through the Internet and turn it back into a useable resource?

Chuck Bao
5/3/2010, 03:48 AM
I suppose that the release of stored hydrocarbons is not unnatural. But, there is no doubt that it will destroy our current gulf coast eco-systems and with that destroy many livelihoods in the process. We could also assume that nuclear fission infrequently occurs in nature, so what is the big deal in the possibility of nuclear holocaust? With that logic, let her rip.

Half a Hundred
5/3/2010, 05:03 AM
Lets see, where does oil come from? Oh yeah, it comes from the Earth. So why should we care? This is nothing more than the Earth blowing a load on itself. Yes, it's messy at first but it'll clean itself up over time.

As George Carlin said, the planet will be fine. It's humans who are f***ed.

StoopTroup
5/3/2010, 05:20 AM
As George Carlin said, the planet will be fine. It's humans who are f***ed.

Unless there's an app for that now.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/3/2010, 01:50 PM
A lot of the dispersive chemicals that are used to break up the oil end up sinking the oil as well. At that point it's not crude oil, but something else similar to oil, and that can and probably will wind up on oyster beds...in what amount, nobody knows.

I think most of the oyster beds are in estuaries around the Breton Sound. I'm not sure if there's been any oil get in there yet. Hopefully with the wind switching, it will push that back out away from those estuaries. Nonetheless, the wife and I went out and enjoyed some raw oysters Friday. YUMMY!

Bourbon St Sooner
5/3/2010, 01:54 PM
By the way, these NIMBY people **** me off. I saw good ole Charlie Crist (or whatever his name is) talking about how Obama should shelve the drilling thing because it's too dangerous. I'm sure right after that he went and got in a big ****ing SUV to drive to another campaign stop. I say that's fine. If you don't want drilling you get wind mills right off your coast. It's time for everybody to contribute to the energy problem!

GottaHavePride
5/3/2010, 02:07 PM
How much of the problem would be solved if we required all new buildings to have photovoltaic cells on their roofs, with the power generated going to operate that building first, and any extra energy dumped into the power grid. If your building nets an input into the grid instead of drawing power, you get tax breaks from the gov't. Require existing buildings to add the solar capacity within, say, 15 years or face fines (fines to be MORE expensive than actually installing the cells).

I'm thinking that alone would make a HUGE dent.

soonervegas
5/3/2010, 02:46 PM
I am torn. On one hand I am jacked about going to the gulf coast in about 7 weeks and seeing beaches that I love covered in dead animals and oil. On the other hand I am driving my Ford F-150 15 hours to get there.....FML.

IB4OU2
5/3/2010, 03:07 PM
How much of the problem would be solved if we required all new buildings to have photovoltaic cells on their roofs, with the power generated going to operate that building first, and any extra energy dumped into the power grid. If your building nets an input into the grid instead of drawing power, you get tax breaks from the gov't. Require existing buildings to add the solar capacity within, say, 15 years or face fines (fines to be MORE expensive than actually installing the cells).

I'm thinking that alone would make a HUGE dent.

You mean Solar panels? yea that and I want my own 300' windmill, theyre the rage in Western Okla.

landrun
5/3/2010, 03:40 PM
BP is going to pay for this. The eco-wackos will see to it. How much is the bill they'll get for all this clean up going to cost? Enough to bankrupt them? In the mean time, gas prices will be going up and so will food prices. This might be an opportunity for the Dems to take control of an oil company too.

Pricetag
5/3/2010, 04:06 PM
BP is going to pay for this. The eco-wackos will see to it. How much is the bill they'll get for all this clean up going to cost? Enough to bankrupt them? In the mean time, gas prices will be going up and so will food prices. This might be an opportunity for the Dems to take control of an oil company too.
As they should. Personal/corporate responsibility, no?

I don't see how anyone can look at this as anything other than a tragedy. It can be argued that the benefits that we get from petroleum energy make the risk of something like this worthwhile, but no matter how much one hates the radical environmentalists, it can't possibly be blown off as no big deal.

TopDawg
5/3/2010, 04:08 PM
let her rip.

g9mKMJVxrk0

Okla-homey
5/3/2010, 05:42 PM
I suppose that the release of stored hydrocarbons is not unnatural. But, there is no doubt that it will destroy our current gulf coast eco-systems and with that destroy many livelihoods in the process. We could also assume that nuclear fission infrequently occurs in nature, so what is the big deal in the possibility of nuclear holocaust? With that logic, let her rip.

so you're down with my nuclear depth charge plan. sweet.;)

And I think there is doubt this thing will "destroy our current gulf coast eco-systems and with that destroy many livelihoods." It's a little too early to say isn't it?

Okla-homey
5/3/2010, 05:45 PM
It can be argued that the benefits that we get from petroleum energy make the risk of something like this worthwhile, but no matter how much one hates the radical environmentalists, it can't possibly be blown off as no big deal.

It can when you factor in there are almost 35,000 wells in the Gulf that have not caused problems. And those wells equal a third of our domestic production.

Thus, we need to go slow on on declaring jihaad on off-shore drilling, although the greenies already have.

I bet the Saudis are absolutely over the moon with excitement over this.

GottaHavePride
5/3/2010, 06:24 PM

How are the Dems going to take control of British Petroleum? It's not a US-based corporation.

Okla-homey
5/3/2010, 07:28 PM
How are the Dems going to take control of British Petroleum? It's not a US-based corporation.

BP has US subsids the Dems can hold hostage. In the end, they can sue BP to bolivia and enforce their judgment against BP's US assets.

Pricetag
5/3/2010, 10:43 PM
It can when you factor in there are almost 35,000 wells in the Gulf that have not caused problems. And those wells equal a third of our domestic production.

Thus, we need to go slow on on declaring jihaad on off-shore drilling, although the greenies already have.

I bet the Saudis are absolutely over the moon with excitement over this.
I do not disagree. Hopefully, they can figure out exactly what happened and it can become even safer in the future.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/4/2010, 09:01 AM
I seriously doubt that this thing is going to bankrupt BP. Even if they're looking at 10 or 20 billion in cleanup and restoration (which seems like a worst case scenario), they can foot the bill.

My Opinion Matters
5/4/2010, 12:05 PM
Oil spills negatively effecting delicate ecosystems is just a myth being perpetrated by the libz.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/4/2010, 12:11 PM

I bet the Saudis are absolutely over the moon with excitement over this.Gasoline nearly $3.00 per gallon BEFORE the BP catastrophe. How high will it jump to this summer?

Ike
5/4/2010, 12:14 PM
Gasoline nearly $3.00 per gallon BEFORE the BP catastrophe. How high will it jump to this summer?

Probably not much higher. Unless the saudis cut production.

5/4/2010, 12:20 PM
Probably not much higher. Unless the saudis cut production.or, other negative things happen, such as politically.

Ike
5/4/2010, 12:22 PM
or, other negative things happen, such as politically.

That might make oil go higher next year...but not much this year.

5/4/2010, 12:29 PM
That might make oil go higher next year...but not much this year.Well, hope you're right, of course.

royalfan5
5/4/2010, 04:59 PM
Gasoline nearly $3.00 per gallon BEFORE the BP catastrophe. How high will it jump to this summer?

If the Euro melts down, and dollar continues to surge, it may go down somewhat.

Frozen Sooner
5/4/2010, 05:04 PM
so you're down with my nuclear depth charge plan. sweet.;)

And I think there is doubt this thing will "destroy our current gulf coast eco-systems and with that destroy many livelihoods." It's a little too early to say isn't it?

Been to Prince William Sound lately? 'Cause the ecosystem there is STILL pretty ****ed up.

Ike
5/4/2010, 05:06 PM
Been to Prince William Sound lately? 'Cause the ecosystem there is STILL pretty ****ed up.

But RLIMC's clone told me it was "pristine"!! Surely you aren't telling me he is wrong?! :eek:

Frozen Sooner
5/4/2010, 05:11 PM
But RLIMC's clone told me it was "pristine"!! Surely you aren't telling me he is wrong?! :eek:

He said that?

He should probably get down there and check it out, because that's ****ing asinine to anyone who's stuck their hand into the ground over there.

5/4/2010, 05:39 PM
But RLIMC's clone told me it was "pristine"!! Surely you aren't telling me he is wrong?! :eek:I don't know who said what or why, in this case. So, best to leave me out of this one.

picasso
5/4/2010, 08:57 PM
Wasn't it the Republicans that got it all started in the first place? Aren't they the ones that kept saying how little of an impact it is even if there was an accident?

Didn't Bush and Palin push for some stuff in Alaska during the last Bush term?

I see no reason why this current POTUS should take any heat for trying to get more platforms over on the east coast.

I know we need the oil but I think Obama has gone soft on the other energy ideas. I think every Politicians ought to be trying to get money into the hands of folks with legit solid ideas. The Windmill thing is a great idea IMO and if building Nuclear Power has to be done until we have a better option...I say we build more of those. I hate those unplug your cell phone chargers ads. I think we should be finding ways to make electric cheaper and more efficient and more available. If there are other renewable clean energy ideas out there...we should be pouring our efforts into R&D IMO.

Also has Prince Williams Sound recovered 100% since the Exxon Valdez?

Please think about how many people the oil industry is employing right now.

Also think about the fact that any viable alternative is years from being realistic.
Please also remember the folks in D.C. that are ganging up on "Big Oil" would collectively **** their pants if they woke up tomorrow without oil and natural gas.

picasso
5/4/2010, 09:00 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs331.ash1/28734_416857361158_195858376158_5333535_628373_n.j pg

:D

Yeah but Obama's camp preached on and on about how's that capitalism goin' for ya? Which is the stupidest ****ing thing I've heard come out of a real elected official's mouth.

Ike
5/5/2010, 08:12 AM
He said that?

He should probably get down there and check it out, because that's ****ing asinine to anyone who's stuck their hand into the ground over there.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/apr/30/rush-limbaugh/rush-limbaugh-says-alaskas-prince-william-sound-no/

Jacie
5/5/2010, 09:04 AM
We could also assume that nuclear fission infrequently occurs in nature, so what is the big deal in the possibility of nuclear holocaust? With that logic, let her rip.

Let's see, nuclear fission does occur in nature, all over the galaxy in fact, at the center of stars. I don't think it does or even could occur anywhere else except artificially, of course. So unless there is a race of beings living in the center of a star and nuclear fission and/or it's by-products are deadly to them there is no possibility of a naturally-occurring nuclear holocaust.

Ike
5/5/2010, 09:20 AM
Let's see, nuclear fission does occur in nature, all over the galaxy in fact, at the center of stars.
ummm, no it doesn't. Fusion occurs in stars. Fission requires heavy elements. There aren't enough of those in stars (which are mainly hydrogen, helium, and other light elements) to make fission even remotely close to a significant reaction in stars.

I don't think it does or even could occur anywhere else except artificially, of course. So unless there is a race of beings living in the center of a star and nuclear fission and/or it's by-products are deadly to them there is no possibility of a naturally-occurring nuclear holocaust.

There have been discovered sites where self sustaining natural fission chain reactions have taken place...over 2 billion years ago. It's not likely to happen today, as Uranium ore has too little U235 in it (and thus the reason it needs to be enriched for nuclear power and/or weapons).