PDA

View Full Version : My wife got me an early birthday gift.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/30/2010, 09:55 AM
She got me an M1 Garand. I think it is cool and will go nicely with my father's war prize Jap infantry rifle he got in Okinawa. The Jap rifle still has Dad's tag he wrote his address on to mail it home to Wisconsin.

I can't wait to fire the Garand.

My wife is very nice with the gifts.

IB4OU2
4/30/2010, 10:10 AM
Very cool gift! My wife would never think of such a gift unless I reminded her.

StoopTroup
4/30/2010, 10:21 AM
For those of you who are just wondering or to stoned to understand what he's talking about....;) :D

http://wncpreppersnetwork.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/m1-garand.jpg

btk108
4/30/2010, 10:30 AM
This is my weapon, this is my gun. One is for fightin', one is for fun! :P

delhalew
4/30/2010, 10:31 AM
I got to fire a friends Garand...sweet! Congrats.

badger
4/30/2010, 12:03 PM
I got my husband video games for his birthday :P

GKeeper316
4/30/2010, 12:20 PM
im still looking for a BAR, but ya the garand is pretty sweet.

TUSooner
4/30/2010, 12:49 PM
Cool! Did you shoot it while watching WWII movies? :D

delhalew
4/30/2010, 01:10 PM
Cool! Did you shoot it while watching WWII movies? :D

That sounds like property damage waiting to happen.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/30/2010, 02:52 PM
I got my gun polished.

WORD.

Okla-homey
4/30/2010, 06:53 PM
serial number please? srsly. I can tell you if its a righteous M-1 or not.

Turd_Ferguson
4/30/2010, 07:51 PM
im still looking for a BAR, but ya the garand is pretty sweet.I'd give 20 bucks just to shoot a BAR. I ain't never even seen't one.

Crucifax Autumn
4/30/2010, 07:56 PM
My wife would never give me a gun as a gift for fear I'd use it for its intended purpose and shoot some f*ckers.

StoopTroup
4/30/2010, 11:51 PM
You bastages better explain to some of these other bastages what a BAR is....cause some folks I know think it's a Browning Automatic Rifle. I own one of those, but what you're talking about is something a bit more specific.

http://www.sondrak.com/archive/skpics2/bar.jpg

soonerinkaty
5/1/2010, 12:12 AM
I shot a BAR in CoD World at War. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Curly Bill
5/1/2010, 12:40 AM
M1 Garand is indeed a nice gift. Congrats.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2010, 05:44 PM
serial number please? srsly. I can tell you if its a righteous M-1 or not.

It is a mixed set, and the stock has been refinished, it looks good though. I'll PM you when I get a chance to look it over good. The wife did her research and was aware of the mixed SNs when she purchased it. She was thinking of going through the marksmanship program, but found this at a gun shop in Mustang she likes.

Okla-homey
5/1/2010, 06:56 PM
It is a mixed set, and the stock has been refinished, it looks good though. I'll PM you when I get a chance to look it over good. The wife did her research and was aware of the mixed SNs when she purchased it. She was thinking of going through the marksmanship program, but found this at a gun shop in Mustang she likes.

Here's another tip. Don't shoot bullets larger than 150 grain. Trust me.

Zbird
5/1/2010, 09:43 PM
Hmmmph. I was married to one of those heavy suckers in 1956 and 1957, Carried it , ate with it, slept with it, but I never did love it enough to want it back after we divorced when I made rank and got to carry an M2 Carbine. I do admit it'd shoot the chin whiskers off a toad at 100 yards, and it never jammed like the carbine, but it was never worth it's weight to most of us who lugged their heavy arses around all day.

Does your wife have her own goldmine?

A nice piece to own as a collectors item and for occasional target shooting.

Always cleaned mine by pouring boiling water down the barrel and receiver. I removed the stock first though. Hope for your sake it's not my old one.

Mustang? You need to checkout Discount Guns in Pauls Valley. Terry Waite, the owner, will get you anything (legal) you want and will beat anyone else's price. Tell him ol' zbird sent you.

PS: VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE: Ask an old timer about the meaning of "M1 Thumb" BEFORE you load it the 1st time.

delhalew
5/1/2010, 10:17 PM
Hmmmph. I was married to one of those heavy suckers in 1956 and 1957, Carried it , ate with it, slept with it, but I never did love it enough to want it back after we divorced when I made rank and got to carry an M2 Carbine. I do admit it'd shoot the chin whiskers off a toad at 100 yards, and it never jammed like the carbine, but it was never worth it's weight to most of us who lugged their heavy arses around all day.

Does your wife have her own goldmine?

A nice piece to own as a collectors item and for occasional target shooting.

Always cleaned mine by pouring boiling water down the barrel and receiver. I removed the stock first though. Hope for your sake it's not my old one.

Mustang? You need to checkout Discount Guns in Pauls Valley. Terry Waite, the owner, will get you anything (legal) you want and will beat anyone else's price. Tell him ol' zbird sent you.

PS: VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE: Ask an old timer about the meaning of "M1 Thumb" BEFORE you load it the 1st time.

Learned that one the hard way.

2Dogs
5/2/2010, 10:27 AM
Sweet, I have one too. Got mine through the CMP. Springfield Armory in the 6mil serial number range.
http://jerryschiller.com/images/m1/aft1.jpg

http://jerryschiller.com/images/m1/ammo3.jpg

http://jerryschiller.com/images/m1/saft2.jpg

2Dogs
5/2/2010, 10:43 AM
Springfield Armory ser 609,xxx,xxx late production with the original barrel. It does have a few mixed parts. HRA bolt and trigger group. Pretty common with M1's. It's tight and in great shape. Built in 1956 towards the end of production.

two 8 round clips, The top group was sighting in, not bad for a 50+ year old rifle. Don't remember the distance. maybe 50 yards or so.

edit: also with surplus ammo that's nearly as old as I am.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9360/group1crop4eo.jpg

unbiasedtruth
5/3/2010, 04:32 AM
used to be able to buy these for next to nothing when I 1st started shooting in the late 60's early 70's......

StoopTroup
5/3/2010, 05:24 AM
Shooting at blue targets is very calming. When the ET's come for realz I hope they are blue and are highly allergic to lead.

OUmillenium
5/3/2010, 10:48 AM
I've shot Garands on Call of Duty and similar games. Love to look them over at gun shows.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/4/2010, 08:26 AM
Here's another tip. Don't shoot bullets larger than 150 grain. Trust me.

Yep, military spec load only. Don't need that barrel going inside out...

TheHumanAlphabet
5/4/2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks - well aware of that affliction.

oudavid1
5/4/2010, 10:28 AM
You lucky bastard! I want one!