PDA

View Full Version : Holy carp, what was Jeff Ireland thinking?

soonerloyal
4/29/2010, 03:54 PM
Dolphins GM apologizes for asking Dez Bryant if his mom was ever a prostitute. :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_dolphins_ireland_apology

MIAMI – Dolphins owner Stephen Ross will "take appropriate actions if necessary" against general manager Jeff Ireland for asking former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant whether his mother was ever a prostitute.

Ireland apologized for the question, and the NFL players union raised concerns Wednesday about discrimination and degradation.

Ross issued a statement saying he'll look into the matter personally.

"As an owner of many companies and organizations, including the Miami Dolphins, I have always strived to comply with the highest standards in all aspects of my businesses, including recruiting," Ross said. "In interviewing employees, we always look to obtain relevant and appropriate information in adherence with the best industry practices."

An NFL statement said Ireland "exercised poor judgment in asking an insensitive and inappropriate question."

League spokesman Greg Aiello added, "Steve Ross' statement makes clear that the Miami Dolphins intend to address this matter promptly in an effective and thoughtful way."

Aiello said Ireland "took the proper step of calling Dez Bryant to apologize and then making that apology public."

Ireland's apology came only after Yahoo! Sports reported that he posed the question several weeks ago during a pre-draft interview with Bryant.

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm considering drafting," Ireland said in a statement. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions. Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.

"I appreciate his acceptance of that apology, and I told him I wished him well as he embarks on his NFL career."

Before the draft, Bryant's background received extensive scrutiny from NFL teams because of concerns about character issues. He was taken by the Dallas Cowboys with the 24th pick in the first round last Thursday.

"My mom is not a prostitute," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. As for his reaction to Ireland's question: "I got mad — really mad — but I didn't show it."

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Ireland's question raised worrisome issues.

"We need to make sure the men of this league are treated as businessmen," Smith said in a statement. "During interviews, our players and prospective players should never be subjected to discrimination or degradation stemming from the biases or misconceptions held by team personnel."

Bryant is black. Ireland is white.

"NFL teams cannot have the free reign to ask questions during the interview process which can be categorized as stereotyping or which may bring a personal insult to any player as a man," Smith said. "For the past year, active, former and incoming players have heard me speak about the expectations we have of them as members of this union, their teams, communities and families. It is equally true that the same kind of respect is demanded of their employers."

*facepalm*

C&CDean
4/29/2010, 04:08 PM
Great. They had to bring up the race card, didn't they? So, what they're really saying here is if Ireland was black this would just be laughed off and brushed under the rug. Unfortunately, he's white and will be crucified for this.

The question he should have asked is "is your mom really a bat**** crazy muffdiver?"

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2010, 04:22 PM
The appropriate question is always "How much is she?"

NormanPride
4/29/2010, 05:34 PM
Oy. Something new to be mad at.

swardboy
4/29/2010, 05:39 PM
Is Dez going to be housing his mom at his residence?

Breadburner
4/29/2010, 05:40 PM
I think if your investing Millions of dollars in someone you can ask them any ****ing thing you want.....

starrca23
4/29/2010, 05:50 PM
Every d-back will be all over this as soon as he lines up. "Hey Rook, your mom and I...last night..."
He isn't the first this has happened to...

Collier11
4/29/2010, 05:59 PM
I think if your investing Millions of dollars in someone you can ask them any ****ing thing you want.....

This has nothing to do with Dez and is completely disrespectful, he might as well of asked if his Mom is a slutbag. Totally out of line

Breadburner
4/29/2010, 06:18 PM
This has nothing to do with Dez and is completely disrespectful, he might as well of asked if his Mom is a slutbag. Totally out of line

Well is she.....

Collier11
4/29/2010, 06:20 PM
Doesnt matter, none of their damn business

Breadburner
4/29/2010, 06:32 PM
I strongly disagree.....

Collier11
4/29/2010, 06:34 PM
you think an employer has any right to know or say anything about your mom? It has zero to do with him and was completely out of line. Id be thrilled to know how asking someone if their mom is a prostitute or a slut has anything to do with playing in the NFL, please tell

rawlingsHOH
4/29/2010, 06:57 PM
you think an employer has any right to know or say anything about your mom? It has zero to do with him and was completely out of line. Id be thrilled to know how asking someone if their mom is a prostitute or a slut has anything to do with playing in the NFL, please tell

That is completely ridiculous.

ashley
4/29/2010, 07:57 PM
When you are going to hire an employee for 30 million plus, you have the right to ask anything you want. If your mom was a hooker or your dad beat you up when you were a kid means a lot in your adult life. Anyone who denies that is nuts. Many of the goofballs in pro sports did not have a dad or a dad in prison. It counts.
The draft is discriminatory is. The do not want fat slow guys as running backs. They have a right to check IQ, and how you make decisions. They want guys that are good decision makers off the field and your upbringing matters. Who you will associate with off the field counts. Who you ran with in college is a big factor. Do you take drugs?
Could the question been asked in a better matter. Maybe. What led to the question during the interview? We do not know. There were definitely enough red flags raised with him to dig deeply.
This was not an interview for a job at Mc Donalds.
I do wish Dez the best. I think he is a great talent.

soonersam
4/29/2010, 08:15 PM
sounds like a reasonable question all things considered

swardboy
4/29/2010, 08:21 PM

Anything going on in Dez's household is absolutely tied back to him, which is why I asked if he's going to house his mom. I've seen enough authoritative posts on SF to know she's not Snow White :eek:

Breadburner
4/29/2010, 08:26 PM
Ya think if he was going to to work for the FBI CIA or SS......This issue would not come up......Me thinks they already knew and wanted to see how he would respond to the question....It's a totally relavent question.....

Breadburner
4/29/2010, 08:28 PM

You really dont think that someone's background is not going to have any impact on how they act on and off the field.....

Curly Bill
4/29/2010, 08:57 PM
I'm with C11 on this one: it was a dumas question, and totally out of line.

Curly Bill
4/29/2010, 08:58 PM
I'm with C11 on this one - it was a dumas question, and totally out of line.

...and I don't care if they were going to pay him eleventy-billion dollars, it's still a dumas question, and still totally out of line.

gaylordfan1
4/29/2010, 09:24 PM
^agreed, other questions could have been asked to find out about his past, or his up bringing. Dumb....dumb....dumb. Well, at least Bryant is now getting the sympathy vote.

Collier11
4/29/2010, 09:43 PM
^ That, its called common sense. The guy had no right to ask about his mom and disrespect her and him like that...those of you defending it are rediculous

SoonerMom2
4/29/2010, 10:47 PM
On the REF today they said Bryant was going to have his Mom live with him wherever he went in the draft.

starclassic tama
4/29/2010, 10:50 PM
You really dont think that someone's background is not going to have any impact on how they act on and off the field.....

what's the concern even if his mom is/was a prostitute? does she still give him a ride to football practice every morning? was ireland concerned that his mom would be up too late the night before turning tricks and wouldn't be able to give him a ride to football practice?

rawlingsHOH
4/29/2010, 11:58 PM
The NFL is a dif animal. And it's a perfectly legit question to ask, if for no other reason, just to see the guy's reaction. Because that is EXACTLY the type of thing you will hear every Sunday on the field.

I'm sorry this may hurt all you PCers feelings, but where else can you go to work and say, **** you, **** your momma, and step on a guy's junk?

Thick skin only types need apply. Dez isn't interviewing for position at Wal-Mart here. They need to know how he'll act in THEIR real world environment.

Collier11
4/30/2010, 12:04 AM
It has nothing to do with being PC, it is flat our wrong and disrespectful and has no bearing on anything. Weve already heard the commissioners office, the NFLPA, fellow GMs (past and present) all say it was idiotic to ask and out of line.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/30/2010, 12:24 AM
When you are going to hire an employee for 30 million plus, you have the right to ask anything you want.

actually, you don't. there are many questions one might ask that would be illegal.

CowboyMRW
4/30/2010, 01:27 AM
Really? that was a legit question to ask. It's pretty messed up. If that would've been Sam that had been asked yall would've gone crazy. I'm a Sam fan btw cause he's from Oklahoma and his mom went to OSU and I like to see Oklahoma kids do great

Kray
4/30/2010, 06:40 AM
Sam wouldn't have been asked that because it wasn't relevant - they know the family backgrounds of both guys. The defense has been that it was a test of Dez Bryan't temperament and character - he passed it, apparently because many guys, including many on this board, would have laid him out for that.

I mean, look at where Bryant comes from - no Dad, Mom in prison. He managed to get eligible for college and had decent grades at OSU. He didn't get into any trouble with the law and didn't demonstrate diva tendencies. He lied to the NCAA and was late to practice some during his freshman year, but apparently that was about the extent of his issues.

Given his nutty Mom and his upbringing, it's kind of a wonder he got to where he did. I'm thinking that the kid has resolve that quite a few players don't. It's a lot easier to get credited for character when you're brought up like McCoy, Bradford, or Zac Robinson, in great families with all the love and support you need. It's a lot tougher for guys like Bryant.

In short, I think the question was slimy. If it was about character, Bryant's life story should have been enough to answer it. I think a lot of teams are going to regret not drafting him sooner.

ashley
4/30/2010, 07:01 AM
actually, you don't. there are many questions one might ask that would be illegal.

This was not a job interview. It was a draft interview. There are no rules.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 08:32 AM
It has nothing to do with being PC, it is flat our wrong and disrespectful and has no bearing on anything. Weve already heard the commissioners office, the NFLPA, fellow GMs (past and present) all say it was idiotic to ask and out of line.

I think its totally dooshbag to ask but this is such a common thing that I cant believe its just now becoming an issue..

when he steps on the field and your favorite defensive player from the Chiefs starts in with all the stuff he is gonna say about Bryant's momma, is that just as out of line? what should they do to him? or because its a game setting, its different?...just asking because its gonna happen, and it was gonna happen before this incident...

i don't like the question either....but what do you expect the NFLPA to say? and fellow GM's with a mic in their face? I guarantee you a GM from every team has gone too far in those interview settings, but rawlings is correct in that they wanna see your reaction and also see if you lie...I don't like it but thats the way the league works.

I've read some of the questions and sit outside some of the interview sessions and listened...You wouldn't imagine how teams grilled AD about his dad......or even how Dan Cody was talked too...

rawlingsHOH
4/30/2010, 08:43 AM
when he steps on the field and your favorite defensive player from the Chiefs starts in with all the stuff he is gonna say about Bryant's momma, is that just as out of line? what should they do to him? or because its a game setting, its different?...just asking because its gonna happen, and it was gonna happen before this incident...

Exactly. The NFL isn't like going to work at the office. Sorry the PCers are so up in arms about this, but that is just the way it is.

They say dirty things.

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 09:09 AM
What if someone had asked Sam if it was hard growing up on the reservation with his dad drinking all that firewater?

Is that an acceptable question?

meoveryouxinfinity
4/30/2010, 09:10 AM
Now... it would be bad if they had asked GK that.

They probably wouldn't live to tell about it.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/30/2010, 09:12 AM
What if someone had asked Sam if it was hard growing up on the reservation with his dad drinking all that firewater?

No, that would be the equivalent of them asking Dez if it was hard growing up on the plantation with his parents picking cotton.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 09:13 AM

somebody will say it to him on the field..is that acceptable?

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 09:17 AM
somebody will say it to him on the field..is that acceptable?

I feel like there's a difference in expected behavior from a potential employer vs. some idiot in the stands or on the other team. I can't control what someone says to me on the street, that's freedom of speech. I can, however, expect different treatment at my place of business or at a school, for example.

These things are not special and unique circumstances. There are still things you are not allowed to say and do to people and remain in business.

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 09:17 AM
No, that would be the equivalent of them asking Dez if it was hard growing up on the plantation with his parents picking cotton.

So would you be fine with someone saying that to a black player?

meoveryouxinfinity
4/30/2010, 09:24 AM
So would you be fine with someone saying that to a black player?

No, because it's completely racist, and obviously does not reflect their situations while the prostitute question is relevant and does reflect Dez's situation growing up.

I think if Ireland really wanted to know if Dez's mom was a prostitute, he could have found out from other sources. Asking the kid isn't the way to find out, and I'm sure Ireland knew this. So either he KNEW (that it wasn't true) and wanted to see Dez's reaction or he KNEW (heard from a reliable source it was true) and wanted to see if Dez would lie to his face. That, or it was a slip up like, "wtf, did I really just say that out loud?" If that's the case, he apologized. Not a huge deal.

And let's not kid ourselves, the question is not that far off base. Would we be mad if he asked about her being a lesbian (I'm sure the gay community would be, even though it's now common knowledge), or about her drug usage?

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 09:39 AM
So either he honestly wants to know if the guy's mom is a prostitute, or he's trying to see how Bryant handles tough and hurtful things, am I getting the gist of this? And it's an OK question because Bryant's mom had been in trouble for drugs and is a lesbian, so naturally she might be a prostitute?

If I say "well, Sam, your dad is Native American, so naturally I have to ask if he's a drunk" then is that fair? The two things have nothing to do with each other and you absolutely cannot assume one from the other, just like drugs and prostitution.

If he had asked if Bryant's mom was in any other trouble, or if he was worried about how she might affect his life going forward, I don't think we're even aware of this situation. The fact is, he asked an incendiary question to gauge a response. It's common practice for employers to ask tough questions in interviews, this one just went way WAY over the line.

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 09:46 AM
OK, so it went "WAY" over the line. BFD (although your Sam/indian analogy isn't a very good one - in fact, it's a poor one).

Should Ireland be fired? Should he be reprimanded? Should everyone just STFU and move on?

I go for #3. It ain't a big deal. If I'm paying a guy $30M I would have all kinds of questions about his character/upbringing/etc. It matters. Dez has proven that he's a ****ing knucklehead who is a high risk gamble from a management/owners point of view. The question wasn't that bad.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 09:54 AM
I feel like there's a difference in expected behavior from a potential employer vs. some idiot in the stands or on the other team. I can't control what someone says to me on the street, that's freedom of speech. I can, however, expect different treatment at my place of business or at a school, for example.

These things are not special and unique circumstances. There are still things you are not allowed to say and do to people and remain in business.

I understand your point of view completely....

except this is no regular business...his place of business is a place where people are gonna be saying this stuff everytime he gets on the field and nothing is going to be done about it.in your place of business, it would get someone fired..in his, its a competition on who can one up the other when it comes to insults..and if he retaliates, he is going to be sitting at home not working because he is suspended...

I mean, what kind of questions do you think GM's ask?

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 10:02 AM
I think that they ask other questions designed to gauge responses to insults all the time. I even think that's fair for their job. When I'm interviewing people I ask them to tell me about a time they had to tell their boss "no". I want people in my team who can disagree with me and tell me about it in a respectful and constructive way, so I ask about it.

I think you get a glimpse of that with Jon Gruden's interviews with the QBs this year. He gets after all of them about something, even insinuating that McCoy's accent makes him sound stupid and that Tebow's intensity is going to grate on people who are pros. THAT is how you do it in a healthy and productive way.

Ireland should absolutely not be involved in the player interview process any longer. Whether that means he is suspended, fired, reprimanded...that's up to his boss to decide. I know if someone that worked for me had gone that far out of bounds representing my group, they wouldn't be a part of it any longer. And for the sake of your arguments, I'd agree that the bounds here are much more lenient than they would be for most other employers.

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 10:04 AM
...your Sam/indian analogy isn't a very good one - in fact, it's a poor one.

Even if it's not apples to apples, we have to agree that there's a line to be crossed. I happen to think that Ireland way overstepped what is common decency and treatment for another person. If you don't, then that's your opinion and just as valid as mine.

KantoSooner
4/30/2010, 10:10 AM
Interviews go both ways. You can manage people through intimidation and challenge and with some personalities force peak performance. With others you simply distance yourself and get less than you might otherwise.
Ireland might have found out something about Bryant....and Bryant certainly found out something about Ireland and his entire organization....and handled it in such a way that everyone now knows what type of people they are. and I don't mean that in a positive way. Time to move on, but not forget.

starrca23
4/30/2010, 10:11 AM
Marcellus Wiley basically said this stuff happens because the NFL is not a normal work environment. He told a story about Bill Parcells asking him if he did drugs because he was from Compton. He pretty much said they want to see how you react and that the reaction to this incident is overkill.
(I am paraphrasing)

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 10:27 AM
Marcellus Wiley basically said this stuff happens because the NFL is not a normal work environment. He told a story about Bill Parcells asking him if he did drugs because he was from Compton. He pretty much said they want to see how you react and that the reaction to this incident is overkill.
(I am paraphrasing)

Yeah, I saw that on ESPN last night. I wish everyone else would listen to him. Instead, they're all filled up with phoney outrage. Well except Collier and Curly. They're just knuckleheads. Hell, Curly thinks our whole coaching staff should be fired, so that shows you who the real dumas is.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 10:27 AM
(I am paraphrasing)

exactly....I think the problem is people are trying to relate this to an everyday environment..heck every GM in the league would have to fired for asking similar questions..along with coaches...

and he hadn't gone out of bounds in representing the organization, when its very possible someone in ownership may have told him to ask it...

once again, I see how your relating it your work environment atKU and the way its done in business, but that just doesn't work in the sports world..

There are owners and gm's in the past who would probably represent the team like you would like.....one of them being the Bengals before they had 9 or 10 players suspended or in jail

SoonerAtKU
4/30/2010, 10:35 AM
I'll be the first to admit that my opinion on the matter doesn't mean much and is woefully underinformed when compared to Marcellus Wiley's. It offends me somewhat on a personal level of "I'd never want to treat anyone like that or have anyone I know be treated that way." But that in the long-run doesn't matter because I don't know anyone who is in line to be drafted, nor do I expect to be interviewing potential draftees for the NFL. I do wonder if the Dolphins lost any fans because of this. Were there people who were so offended that they'll stop supporting the team?

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 10:43 AM
Support for the Dolphins isnt very high anywhere even though the new celebrity ownership is trying so I doubt it...the only Dolphins fans left are the hard core

ashley
4/30/2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I saw that on ESPN last night. I wish everyone else would listen to him. Instead, they're all filled up with phoney outrage. Well except Collier and Curly. They're just knuckleheads. Hell, Curly thinks our whole coaching staff should be fired, so that shows you who the real dumas is.

My heavens, do you have good common sense. How refreshing. The goofballs are easy to spot aren't they.

goingoneight
4/30/2010, 11:36 AM
I don't agree with the question they asked him... but I can tell you people took notice to the fact that he handled it correctly. I can tell you almost every guy I know would straight up get pissed off at whoever suggested such a thing. While it was a classless move on the part of Ireland, don't act like other people in the crowd of people evaluating him didn't want to see what his reaction was to such a thing. I know quite a few people who are so protective of their single mothers, that Ireland would have had two black eyes by now for asking them that.

ashley
4/30/2010, 11:41 AM
I don't agree with the question they asked him... but I can tell you people took notice to the fact that he handled it correctly. I can tell you almost every guy I know would straight up get pissed off at whoever suggested such a thing. While it was a classless move on the part of Ireland, don't act like other people in the crowd of people evaluating him didn't want to see what his reaction was to such a thing. I know quite a few people who are so protective of their single mothers, that Ireland would have had two black eyes by now for asking them that.

Maybe not if they were interviewing for a possible 20 to 30 million dollar job.
Life is going to be a lot tougher than someone insulting you with words.

Curly Bill
4/30/2010, 11:53 AM

I only think KW and BV should be fired. So, now who's the dumas misrepresenting my stance on the matter in a lame attempt to be funny?

soonerloyal
4/30/2010, 12:46 PM

"No rules"? Who says? As in almost any business, there are specific, stated rules of conduct in the National Football League and there are also unstated codes of acceptable behavior - for employees as well as for management. As was pointed out before, obviously there were several higher-level NFL muckety-mucks who felt that Ireland violated those. That's why they stated their disapproval and why Ireland apologized.

"Yo Mama" jokes notwithstanding, insulting a prospective employee's family isn't the hallmark of tests when attempting to determine emotional stability & viability. Professionals who are well-paid to assess players on each important readiness level have better ways to do their assessments well.

Regardless of what was asked and why, it seems Bryant passed that particular test. Particularly good for Ireland that Dez didn't flatten him. Looks like his Mama did teach him well on some things.

S*ck it, Ireland. :P

ashley
4/30/2010, 12:54 PM
It has been said many times in the last few days that the question broke no league conduct rules. Would you like an ex FBI agent investigation you without your knowledge? The league has done this for years.

soonerloyal
4/30/2010, 01:00 PM
FBI investigation...sounds like a normal background investigation required by some employers. Nothing wrong with that.

Ireland's query obviously broke some "pull yer head out of your azz" code. Otherwise, there would be no articles, updates, press releases - or apology.

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 01:12 PM
I only think KW and BV should be fired. So, now who's the dumas misrepresenting my stance on the matter in a lame attempt to be funny?

Oh. My bad. You just think two of the best football coaches in the country should be fired, not the whole staff. Gotcha. This would still make you the dumas. It's "in Stoops we trust" for a reason.

Back on topic, if Dez's mom wasn't a giant POS who put herself in her son's spotlight with the whole fried chicken incident, etc., the question never would have gotten asked, right? And if Dez wasn't stupid this past year playing footsies with Deion it may not have gotten asked either. The dude has questionable character and comes from questionable genes. It was a fair question.

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 01:13 PM
Ireland's query obviously broke some "pull yer head out of your azz" code. Otherwise, there would be no articles, updates, press releases - or apology.

You can't be that naive. There are articles, updates, press released, and apologies because Dez is black and Ireland is white. If you think otherwise then you're a fool.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 01:14 PM
there are articles, press releases, and updates because it got out he asked the question..he didn't apologize before it became public..

anyway, according to a couple of sources this was the exchange when Ireland was asking Bryant some questions about his family..Bryant denies answering saying his dad was a pimp

Dez Bryant: "My dad was a pimp."

Jeff Ireland: "What did your mom do [for a living]?"

Bryant: "She worked for my dad."

Ireland: "Your mom was a prostitute?"

Bryant: "No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Collier11
4/30/2010, 01:33 PM
I think its totally dooshbag to ask but this is such a common thing that I cant believe its just now becoming an issue..

i don't like the question either....but what do you expect the NFLPA to say? and fellow GM's with a mic in their face? I guarantee you a GM from every team has gone too far in those interview settings, but rawlings is correct in that they wanna see your reaction and also see if you lie...I don't like it but thats the way the league works.

I've read some of the questions and sit outside some of the interview sessions and listened...You wouldn't imagine how teams grilled AD about his dad......or even how Dan Cody was talked too...

just cus others have gone too far doesnt make it right

Exactly. The NFL isn't like going to work at the office. Sorry the PCers are so up in arms about this, but that is just the way it is.

They say dirty things.

talking crap on the field is way different than being asked something like that in an interview

Collier11
4/30/2010, 01:35 PM
(I am paraphrasing)

growing up in Compton and possibly doing drugs is alot more relevant than asking a guy if his mom is a prostitute

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 01:40 PM
how relevant is it if the sources are right and DB said his dad was a pimp and then said his mom worked for his dad?

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 01:40 PM
there are articles, press releases, and updates because it got out he asked the question..he didn't apologize before it became public..

anyway, according to a couple of sources this was the exchange when Ireland was asking Bryant some questions about his family..Bryant denies answering saying his dad was a pimp

Dez Bryant: "My dad was a pimp."

Jeff Ireland: "What did your mom do [for a living]?"

Bryant: "She worked for my dad."

Ireland: "Your mom was a prostitute?"

Bryant: "No, she wasn't a prostitute."

If this is even remotely true then I wouldn't even apologize if I were Ireland.

Of course Dez probably meant his dad was cool (isn't that what pimp means these days?). You can't blame Ireland for taking it literally. I would have.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 01:41 PM
If this is even remotely true then I wouldn't even apologize if I were Ireland.

Of course Dez probably meant his dad was cool (isn't that what pimp means these days?). You can't blame Ireland for taking it literally. I would have.

No Im a real pimp..I just pimp fo da Lord

Collier11
4/30/2010, 01:46 PM
how relevant is it if the sources are right and DB said his dad was a pimp and then said his mom worked for his dad?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5151539

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 01:48 PM
I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them."

So a lot of teams asked some personal questions about his mom....but this guys is worse than every other GM

stoops the eternal pimp
4/30/2010, 01:49 PM

well if he said he didn't, then he didn't..because if there is one thing dez bryant does, its tell the truth

ashley
4/30/2010, 01:52 PM
growing up in Compton and possibly doing drugs is alot more relevant than asking a guy if his mom is a prostitute

Not if your mom went to jail for selling crack. Check all the avenues ladies that sell crack have to make a living.
I have nothing against DB and think he was the best receiver in the nation.

Collier11
4/30/2010, 01:56 PM
So a lot of teams asked some personal questions about his mom....but this guys is worse than every other GM

media made him the bad guy, not Dez...if they all asked him questions like that id say they are all out of line

TMcGee86
4/30/2010, 02:08 PM

Here's one very simple way it could relate, not saying this is the case, but this would make sense, it's the same reason gambling comes up. If the team was worried that the mom was working as a prostitute, would she demand money from Dez and when the money ran out would her pimp demand that Dez throw a game to pay off a debt and/or save his mom's life.

Probably didn't go down that way, but if I'm paying a guy millions of dollars, and there are some rumors about his seedy upbringing, I would want to know exactly what I was dealing with. The last thing I would be worried about would be hurting his feelings with tough questions.

TMcGee86
4/30/2010, 02:18 PM
Back on topic, if Dez's mom wasn't a giant POS who put herself in her son's spotlight with the whole fried chicken incident, etc.,

Wait, I thought the fried chicken thing was Reid's mom. Dez's mom had some chicken incident too?

soonerloyal
4/30/2010, 02:21 PM
You can't be that naive. There are articles, updates, press released, and apologies because Dez is black and Ireland is white. If you think otherwise then you're a fool.

Those two short sentences in the article really seems to be what bothers you. I think it was pretty stupid too. But the emphasis on race was the writer's choice and the writer's fault alone.

I'm not a fool, I simply don't automatically assume.

Collier11
4/30/2010, 02:58 PM
Here's one very simple way it could relate, not saying this is the case, but this would make sense, it's the same reason gambling comes up. If the team was worried that the mom was working as a prostitute, would she demand money from Dez and when the money ran out would her pimp demand that Dez throw a game to pay off a debt and/or save his mom's life.

Probably didn't go down that way, but if I'm paying a guy millions of dollars, and there are some rumors about his seedy upbringing, I would want to know exactly what I was dealing with. The last thing I would be worried about would be hurting his feelings with tough questions.

I agree with that and there are different ways of approaching things and asking questions than to do it the way this guy apparently did it

C&CDean
4/30/2010, 03:17 PM
Those two short sentences in the article really seems to be what bothers you. I think it was pretty stupid too. But the emphasis on race was the writer's choice and the writer's fault alone.

I'm not a fool, I simply don't automatically assume.

Fair enough.

But be honest now, did you assume Ireland was white the minute you started the read? I did. If he wasn't, it wouldn't be news. The writer did point it out way down in the piece, but that's what news writers do.

Curly Bill
4/30/2010, 05:43 PM
Oh. My bad. You just think two of the best football coaches in the country should be fired, not the whole staff. Gotcha. This would still make you the dumas. It's "in Stoops we trust" for a reason.

I know right? Glad those two keep swatting away all those head coaching offers. ;)

Collier11
4/30/2010, 06:33 PM
a persons ability to be a really good coordinator has zero to do with their perceived ability to be a really good head coach

SouthFortySooner
4/30/2010, 06:35 PM
There is a reason Sam Bradford wasn't asked if his mom was a prostitue. The collective gasp of people who want to grasp any little thing to hammer me with what they feel is 'correct' amazes me sometime. Context peofle, context.

Crucifax Autumn
4/30/2010, 07:10 PM
I'm not gonna weigh in on the right or wrong of the question because shat like this is always a toss-up as to whethere it's a ra ce thing or not and you usually can't find the answer.

What I will say is that if he wasn't a total dumbazz and if his mom hadn't put herself in the spotlight then this probably wouldn't have happened at all like this.

Leroy Lizard
4/30/2010, 07:24 PM
The question was out of line.

Linking this to race is equally out of line.

Crucifax Autumn
4/30/2010, 07:26 PM
How was the question out of line if it's true he said his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for him?

If not for Dez saying his part I doubt the question would have been asked and if it was I'd go along with the idea that it's out of line.

OSUAggie
4/30/2010, 07:39 PM
Wait, I thought the fried chicken thing was Reid's mom.\

It was.

Dez's mom was in jail whoring herself out to women while selling crack on the side to pay off Dez's daddy when the mother of children was hand feeding chicken. Or something like that.

Crucifax Autumn
4/30/2010, 09:32 PM
Dez is denying saying his dad was a pimp:

So yeah...she wasn't a ho...just a crack dealer and honerable member of society! lol

Leroy Lizard
4/30/2010, 10:33 PM
I've changed my mind. If what Ireland says is true, then the question was appropriate.

meoveryouxinfinity
5/1/2010, 10:33 AM
So either he honestly wants to know if the guy's mom is a prostitute, or he's trying to see how Bryant handles tough and hurtful things, am I getting the gist of this? And it's an OK question because Bryant's mom had been in trouble for drugs and is a lesbian, so naturally she might be a prostitute?

If I say "well, Sam, your dad is Native American, so naturally I have to ask if he's a drunk" then is that fair? The two things have nothing to do with each other and you absolutely cannot assume one from the other, just like drugs and prostitution.

If he had asked if Bryant's mom was in any other trouble, or if he was worried about how she might affect his life going forward, I don't think we're even aware of this situation. The fact is, he asked an incendiary question to gauge a response. It's common practice for employers to ask tough questions in interviews, this one just went way WAY over the line.

Crack & whore. Two words that usually go hand in hand.

Stitch Face
5/1/2010, 01:27 PM
I've changed my mind. If what Ireland says is true, then the question was appropriate.

Exactly.

The conversation (as reported by the Dolphins) is exactly the kind of dialogue I might have with a patient while discussing their problems or mood disorder or whatever.

Patient: [starts talking about his parents' jobs and how that affected him or otherwise comes up in the conversation somehow]

Me: So what did your father do?

Patient: He was a pimp.

Me: Oh. And your mom?

Patient: She worked for Dad.

Me: She was a prostitute?

I can see myself having that exact conversation and not thinking anything about it, just like when a patient says "I was in prison" and I say "oh? what for?" Is it my business? It is insofar as the person is volunteering the information so we can explore their problems or dysfunction or whatever. And if I understand correctly that's exactly what these guys are doing during the interviews: trying to find out how dysfunctional some of these young men might be before exposing them to fame and money and the responsibility to perform on a national stage each week. So if it went down like the Dolphins say it did then it kinda seems like the only logical follow-up question.

fossil
5/1/2010, 07:57 PM

:rolleyes: What does what his mother do have to do with him? If she was a prostitute, would it somehow lessen his skills as a receiver? I agree they have a right to ask him any question concerning HIS past, HIS character, HIS attitude, but to ask if his mother was a prostitute was totally inappropriate. Lucky for Ireland that Dez kept his temper and didn't rip Ireland's head off and crap down his neck!!

Scott D
5/1/2010, 08:15 PM
Fair enough.

But be honest now, did you assume Ireland was white the minute you started the read? I did. If he wasn't, it wouldn't be news. The writer did point it out way down in the piece, but that's what news writers do.

I assumed Ireland was white because he's an NFL GM...end of story...muh****ah.

Scott D
5/1/2010, 08:17 PM
:rolleyes: What does what his mother do have to do with him? If she was a prostitute, would it somehow lessen his skills as a receiver? I agree they have a right to ask him any question concerning HIS past, HIS character, HIS attitude, but to ask if his mother was a prostitute was totally inappropriate. Lucky for Ireland that Dez kept his temper and didn't rip Ireland's head off and crap down his neck!!

The question was legitimate in the context the Dolphins released it in. Afterall, if one parent is a Pimp and the other parent is employed by the prior parent, it's pretty unusual for a Pimp to have female bodyguards instead of prostitutes.

Apparently it would have been happier for everyone if Ireland had just asked if his mom was a drug dealer working for his pimp father :rolleyes:

ashley
5/1/2010, 08:46 PM

If you are raised by a mother that sold crack and went to jail, it might have something to do with you. Have you ever heard that how and who raised you has something to do with how you are as an adult. Doesn't everyone's mother have something to do with their son? Did you really mean to ask that question?

DakotaSooner
5/1/2010, 09:06 PM
I actually think that "ashley" has presented a strong argument during this post and valid points. While I would not have liked the comment asked to myself, my freinds, or an OU player, I think the meaning of it could have some relevance. I still don't think that the question needed to be asked. If that question crossed his mind as a valid question to ask to a "troubled" young man then he would have been better off just assuming that it was true, put a strike against Dez and his character, and moved on.

Yikes though......

Maybe we should debate the infamous National Anthem Sooners yell again this off season. Just kidding everyone.

fossil
5/2/2010, 07:37 AM
When you are going to hire an employee for 30 million plus, you have the right to ask anything you want. If your mom was a hooker or your dad beat you up when you were a kid means a lot in your adult life. Anyone who denies that is nuts. Many of the goofballs in pro sports did not have a dad or a dad in prison. It counts.
The draft is discriminatory is. The do not want fat slow guys as running backs. They have a right to check IQ, and how you make decisions. They want guys that are good decision makers off the field and your upbringing matters. Who you will associate with off the field counts. Who you ran with in college is a big factor. Do you take drugs?
Could the question been asked in a better matter. Maybe. What led to the question during the interview? We do not know. There were definitely enough red flags raised with him to dig deeply.
This was not an interview for a job at Mc Donalds.
I do wish Dez the best. I think he is a great talent.

Ashley, would you be so kind as to point out some of those 'RED FLAGS'? Frankly, I can't think of a single thing this guy did that would make me pause and think, "Dang, I'll bet this guy's mom is a hooker". What was your first clue?

fossil
5/2/2010, 07:44 AM

:confused: Really. No rules? If this was such an acceptable question, please tell me why everyone in the NFL including Ireland feels a need to apologize for the question? If there was nothing wrong with asking it, then why is everyone else including Ireland apologizing for asking it?

ashley
5/2/2010, 09:42 AM
it was not a real good question. I am thinking that something in interview led to the question. I think the context that it was asked was brought about by Bryant's responses. I doubt that that Ireland just abruptly asked that. If so, then it was wrong. I do defend their right to find out everything about the person. This is a big boy business.

ashley
5/2/2010, 09:43 AM
Ashley, would you be so kind as to point out some of those 'RED FLAGS'? Frankly, I can't think of a single thing this guy did that would make me pause and think, "Dang, I'll bet this guy's mom is a hooker". What was your first clue?

Your kidding.

texaspokieokie
5/2/2010, 10:38 AM
she may have been his father's accountant or something of that nature.

fossil
5/2/2010, 05:56 PM
Your kidding.

No, I'm not kidding. Now, come across with some of those RED FLAGS please! Just saying, "You're kidding" won't cut it. Good way to avoid having to answer the question I guess.

Crucifax Autumn
5/2/2010, 06:08 PM
How about "My dad was a pimp" or "My mom worked for my dad"?

Breadburner
5/2/2010, 06:40 PM

Shirley....You can't be serious.....

ashley
5/2/2010, 07:28 PM
No, I'm not kidding. Now, come across with some of those RED FLAGS please! Just saying, "You're kidding" won't cut it. Good way to avoid having to answer the question I guess.

Where have you been?
I think the thing we need to do is take his name out of it. Just John Doe. Then plug in the players history and his family and what he was exposed to growing up. All the things that form you as a person.
No school affiliation. Would you give this person 20 to 30M to represent you?
Don't get me wrong, I think he can be a very good player. I thought he was as good as any high school receiver that I have ever seen. I would just worry about any player with his past behavior and family history.

soonersam
5/3/2010, 06:27 PM
It had previously been known that Angela Bryant was convicted for selling crack cocaine in 1997 and served 18 months in prison.

Lufkin, Texas, police records acquired by ESPN on Monday show that she also was arrested in April 2009 after she was caught selling crack cocaine to police informants. In August she was found guilty of two felony counts for possession of a controlled substance and the manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance, and she was sentenced to 10 years' probation.