PDA

View Full Version : One decision 27 years ago...

OUmillenium
4/29/2010, 08:15 AM
Great discussion on Rivals radio again this morning. I flipped over from the commercial animal right after the Adam Sandler soundbyte "...want to touch the hiny" in the middle of the morning Thunderfest worship service.

Anyway, on Rivals they were talking up the growth of Florida, FSU, and Miami football since 1980. Great stuff on that topic but it flowed into how Miami became a powerhouse after Dr Tom went for the win over Shnelly in the Orange Bowl and didn't get it.

What if he had just kicked the extra point, got the tie, then won both AP and UPI MNC's? They had great discussion on which coaches would have kicked it, they said Switzer would have. I immediately thought, no, he would have gone for it and succeeded.

Here were the OU tangents that started flowing through my mind...

Does Schnelly stay at Miami and not get the USFL job?
- Without Jimmy recruiting blue chips and knowing how to defend the bone, does OU win 1-3 more national champeenchips in the mid-80s?
- If that happens, how strong is Switzer's job security in the late 80s?
- Does he get even better recruits without as many character issues?

Wow, would we have reeled off about 10 straight over the whorns?

Where would Nebraska be if they won that early MNC? Would they have become the dominant team in the Big 8?

this could go on and on...

KantoSooner
4/29/2010, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering whether you might have had a situation in Florida analogous to that which existed a few years earlier between OU and UT in that UT refused to recruit black players until the 1970's. Which left OU with an incredible pool of talent to pick from.
Were UF and FSU really recruting South Florida prior to the 1980's? Or did Schnelly get to be the only game in town for a few years?