PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Trying to "One Up" Arizona

sooner59
4/28/2010, 07:58 PM
Not only are legislators trying to pass the same law; they are trying to revoke citizenship to babies born of illegals, and they want to confiscate vehicles of illegals caught driving.

http://www.koco.com/news/23292039/detail.html

Curly Bill
4/28/2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah, we'll show those fools in Arizona how it's done! :D

yermom
4/28/2010, 08:10 PM
the last two sound pretty reasonable to me... (though, the former doesn't jive with the Constitution, obviously)

Viking Kitten
4/28/2010, 08:30 PM
Election year publicity stunt. Too bad the fine folks at KOCO don't seem to understand he can't just "put together a bill to propose this session," because they are well past the time frame in which you can propose new legislation. Now he could, in theory, gut an existing bill if he could argue it was somehow germane to immigration, but the original author of any such bill probably wouldn't look too kindly on that.

Oh by the way Rep. Christian... have you made any headway on that $1.2 billion budget shortfall yet instead of bugging us with this meaningless crap we all know will get thrown out in court so fast our heads will spin Linda Blair-style? No? Didn't think so.

StoopTroup
4/28/2010, 08:40 PM
All they need to do is make all the streets in OKC Turnpikes.

Leroy Lizard
4/28/2010, 09:09 PM
Not only are legislators trying to pass the same law; they are trying to revoke citizenship to babies born of illegals, and they want to confiscate vehicles of illegals caught driving.

http://www.koco.com/news/23292039/detail.html

Legislators? It's one guy. And all he has done is express his opinion.

StoopTroup
4/28/2010, 09:18 PM
I thought Glenn Beck was the opinion guy?

Skysooner
4/28/2010, 09:36 PM
Typical grandstanding bs.

Sooner5030
4/28/2010, 09:47 PM
I am a sponsor of a legal immigrant (wifey) and I don’t understand why folks think they can skirt the rules. We had to go through medical screening, background checks, I had to sign a form stating I would guarantee that she would not become a charge to the state and I had to prove it by declaring and proving my net worth. To go through this painful process (while living abroad) and then see folks just jumping over a fence and being protected by ‘civil rights’ advocates makes me sick…..laws should be respected whether you personally agree with them or not.

Skysooner
4/28/2010, 09:53 PM
I am a sponsor of a legal immigrant (wifey) and I don’t understand why folks think they can skirt the rules. We had to go through medical screening, background checks, I had to sign a form stating I would guarantee that she would not become a charge to the state and I had to prove it by declaring and proving my net worth. To go through this painful process (while living abroad) and then see folks just jumping over a fence and being protected by ‘civil rights’ advocates makes me sick…..laws should be respected whether you personally agree with them or not.

I am against illegal immigration, and I understand your position on this. Once they are here, they are covered by our laws and they have rights. Talking about taking citizenship away from a baby born on our soil is blatanly unconstitutional plus seizing a vehicle in this particular circumstance is just this no-name trying to make a name for himself. If you find an illegal, deport him/her. The rest is a pipe dream.

sooner59
4/28/2010, 09:57 PM
Legislators? It's one guy. And all he has done is express his opinion.

Maybe because of this direct quote from the link:

"Christian said he has several lawmakers on board and hopes to put together a bill to propose this session."

Might want to try reading it first before trying to start ****. Just a thought.

Sooner5030
4/28/2010, 10:05 PM
I am against illegal immigration, and I understand your position on this. Once they are here, they are covered by our laws and they have rights. Talking about taking citizenship away from a baby born on our soil is blatanly unconstitutional plus seizing a vehicle in this particular circumstance is just this no-name trying to make a name for himself. If you find an illegal, deport him/her. The rest is a pipe dream.

With globalization it gets even more complicated than that. My son was born abroad and has a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) from the US. However…this ‘less than 2 year old’ could be separated from his mother if her 2 year LPR doesn’t get renewed as a 10 year LPR. Deporting (illegal or legal) immigrant parent(s) of legal citizens (under the age of 18) cannot be part of any bill based on the 2nd and 3rd order effects of separating parents from children.

Doged
4/28/2010, 10:11 PM
I just don't get people trying to advocate in favor of illegals. Illegals should be deported immediately, simple as that. If they don't like the immigration laws, then advocate to change the laws not to protect the fence jumpers.

SoonerStormchaser
4/28/2010, 10:27 PM
I have no problem with stripping the citizenship of the anchor babies.

SCOUT
4/28/2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.creepygif.com/images/thumb/10.jpg (http://www.creepygif.com/image.php?i=10)
:eek:

sooner59
4/28/2010, 10:52 PM
Race aside, isn't being in the country illegally.....well...illegal? Where in the Constitution does it say that people who are not citizens have the same Constitutional rights as citizens? Why don't they just attempt to become citizens and get jobs and pay taxes like everyone else? If its because they are only here to make money and take it back to Mexico, that doesn't fly with me. They take American money and spend it in a different country instead of contributing to the economy here. They also are able to use up tax dollars (that they do not contribute to) if they are injured or sick and have to go to the emergency room. I know tons of people who are from other countries who are here legally and contribute to society and the economy. I have little sympathy for those who want to use our country and not give back to it. Just my opinion.

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:00 PM
your argument makes sense if you know they are illegal before harassing them

sooner59
4/28/2010, 11:04 PM
True. I don't promote racial profiling, but if a cop pulls them over and they have no ID and they find out they are illegal, then go ahead and do what is necessary. Oh, and I don't have a problem with impounding the vehicle, either.

stoopified
4/28/2010, 11:15 PM
How is asking a person driving a car on American roads to produce a valid drivers license or other proper form of ID harassment?As a former police officer (in my younger days) I often asked people to produce ID.Was I guilty of harassment?

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:16 PM
True. I don't promote racial profiling, but if a cop pulls them over and they have no ID and they find out they are illegal, then go ahead and do what is necessary. Oh, and I don't have a problem with impounding the vehicle, either.

it makes no sense to me that it's not already that way

SCOUT
4/28/2010, 11:17 PM

To further 59's point, if a law enforcement officer finds out that their detainee is illegal should they be allowed to take action?

In the past, the answer has generally been no. It is a federal responsibility. With this law, the enforcement extends to the logical point of the state. Is that wrong?

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:17 PM
How is asking a person driving a car on American roads to produce a valid drivers license or other proper form of ID harassment?As a former police officer (in my younger days) I often asked people to produce ID.Was I guilty of harassment?

did you pull them over because you thought they might be illegals?

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:18 PM
To further 59's point, if a law enforcement officer finds out that their detainee is illegal should they be allowed to take action?

In the past, the answer has generally been no. It is a federal responsibility. With this law, the enforcement extends to the logical point of the state. Is that wrong?

look at post #20

Curly Bill
4/28/2010, 11:18 PM
did you pull them over because you thought they might be illegals?

Only when they looked messicany. :D

SCOUT
4/28/2010, 11:21 PM
look at post #20

I apologize that my typing took greater than 60 seconds.

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:22 PM
it's okay

this time :D

yankee
4/28/2010, 11:27 PM
Illegals should be deported immediately, simple as that.

sounds good in concept, but that accomplishes nothing. they'll be back in the U.S. within a month.

Curly Bill
4/28/2010, 11:28 PM
sounds good in concept, but that accomplishes nothing. they'll be back in the U.S. within a month.

Not if we deport and then shoot their a**es.

sooner59
4/28/2010, 11:41 PM
Maybe we just need more border patrol....a lot more. I have an idea. Instead of deporting them and robbing them of the low-paying jobs they have, we make them citizens and employ them as National Guard troops that will be protecting the border against illegal immigrants. We pay them much better than they were paid to pick fruit and vegetables and what not. And....we tell them, if we catch them letting anyone in (directly violating their job requirements), they will be deployed to Afghanistan.

And they thought Mexico was bad....

yankee
4/28/2010, 11:44 PM
Maybe we just need more border patrol....a lot more.

that wasn't so hard to think of.

now if we could get washington to think along those same lines we'd be good.

Harry Beanbag
4/28/2010, 11:49 PM
that wasn't so hard to think of.

now if we could get washington to think along those same lines we'd be good.

That's what ****ing Arizona and Texas are attempting to do, bring this issue to the forefront. Illegal immigration is the root to most of this nation's troubles, IMO. But instead everybody is called a racist. :rolleyes:

yankee
4/28/2010, 11:54 PM
That's what ****ing Arizona and Texas are attempting to do, bring this issue to the forefront. Illegal immigration is the root to most of this nation's troubles, IMO. But instead everybody is called a racist. :rolleyes:

yup.

this needs to be a wake up call to the feds, because if they aren't going to help the states than the states are going to take matters into their own hands. if obama and company don't like that, then maybe they should wake the **** up and realize this gigantic problem we have on our borders (and consequently, beyond).

yermom
4/28/2010, 11:55 PM
really, illegals are the root of our problems?

i'd rather see bankers and pols deported :D

Harry Beanbag
4/28/2010, 11:58 PM

i'd rather see bankers and pols deported :D

Health care costs skyrocketing, unemployment rate for citizens, huge portions of state budget shortfalls, and depressed wages can all be laid at the feet of the illegal alien. The politicians fighting over their future votes are only making it worse.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2010, 12:34 AM
I am a sponsor of a legal immigrant (wifey) and I don’t understand why folks think they can skirt the rules. We had to go through medical screening, background checks, I had to sign a form stating I would guarantee that she would not become a charge to the state and I had to prove it by declaring and proving my net worth. To go through this painful process (while living abroad) and then see folks just jumping over a fence and being protected by ‘civil rights’ advocates makes me sick…..laws should be respected whether you personally agree with them or not.Shorten this up, and maybe half the people here(those with good sense)will make it their Sig.

GKeeper316
4/29/2010, 06:18 AM
All they need to do is make all the streets in OKC Turnpikes.

to hell with the turnpikes...

avoid those things at all costs.

badger
4/29/2010, 08:46 AM
The law to grant citizenship to everyone born in the U.S. --- is it outdated?

Wasn't it originally created to guarantee freed slaves the same right as everyone else, like voting rights?

Skysooner
4/29/2010, 09:00 AM
The law to grant citizenship to everyone born in the U.S. --- is it outdated?

Wasn't it originally created to guarantee freed slaves the same right as everyone else, like voting rights?

It was originally done to grant citizenship to slaves. It was upheld in 1898 by SCOTUS in United States vs. Wong Kim Ark. It clearly stated that children of illegal immigrants born on US soil were citizens. However there has been controvery over the term "illegal" as it was known at that time. The Heritage Foundation maintains that Congress has the power to deny citizenship to children born to illegal immigrants. No doubt if any state or congress passed that, it would have to pass a Constitutional challenge on the denying of civil rights already granted to citizens. That would take several years to do through SCOTUS.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2010, 09:09 AM

^^^This.

This person should have more say than anyone else in the country. They have been through it.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/29/2010, 09:12 AM

Yes!

Having to police the border. Increased crime rate. Increased taxes to fund those illegals going to the emergency room for doctoring, unpaid wage taxes as they are paid under the table, increase jail residences - a large percentage in the Harris County jail are illegal, the Sheriff just sent the housing bill to the Feds.

Edit:

Story about billing the Feds to house illegals in Houston (http://www.khou.com/news/Harris-County-seeks-federal-reimbursement-for-jailing-suspected-illegal-immigrants-92382509.html)

yermom
4/29/2010, 10:19 AM
i can maybe see it in AZ, but the whole country?