PDA

View Full Version : BCS championship game in Dallas or Houston?

Chuck Bao
4/28/2010, 10:12 AM
What are the odds of a boycott of Arizona this year and moving the BCS title game to either Dallas or Houston?

I don't know if the BCS has an iron-clad contract with the Fiesta Bowl folks or that stadium in the vicinity of Phoenix.

I do know that the NCAA is very PC and the sports conferences are essentially controlled by the presidents of the member universities and they are also very PC.

Shouldn't Dallas and Houston already be out lobbying the BCS for the title game? It seems like a decision would have to be made sooner rather than later and probably even before that Arizona law even comes into effect.

Sorry for Arizona's loss, but I would love to see the national championship game rotate every 4-5 years through Big XII country.

yermom
4/28/2010, 10:17 AM
somehow Arizona is Big 12 country :rolleyes:

where is this BCS boycott talk coming from? it seems a little out there

Chuck Bao
4/28/2010, 10:34 AM
somehow Arizona is Big 12 country :rolleyes:

where is this BCS boycott talk coming from? it seems a little out there

I am just making it up or trying to get something started. There are news stories of baseball fans being asked not to attend Diamondback games. Afterall, MLB has a lot of hispanic players and they are likely to speak up and support a boycott.

Then, do you remember the NFL threatening to boycott Arizona for one Super Bowl because Arizona didn't recognize Martin Luther King Jr. national holiday? I don't remember what actually happened then.

College ball should be even more PC than either MLB and the NFL. A bowl game is one thing and then the high profile national title match is completely different and the BCS should be considering alternatives.

SteelClip49
4/28/2010, 10:41 AM
IMO....the national title game should always be at a non-BCS stadium such as Reliant Stadium and Cowboys Stadium.

badger
4/28/2010, 10:48 AM
The BCS title game site should be designated AFTER the teams are announced, so that neither team has a home field advantage.

Just to be safe, keep it out of SEC country for the next dozen years :D

Breadburner
4/28/2010, 10:52 AM
The BCS title game site should be designated AFTER the teams are announced, so that neither team has a home field advantage.

Just to be safe, keep it out of SEC country for the next dozen years :D

Excelent post.....

yermom
4/28/2010, 10:55 AM
so a site has ~1 month to plan for all those tourists, etc...?

JDawg2303
4/28/2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think politics should enter at all in the sports world. Even though it sometimes does, sports should be kept pure because there are always two or more sides to every issue. You can't please everyone so sports shouldn't try. Just stay neutral. I don't think what's happening in Arizona should affect where the title game is held (although I do support moving it around to non-BCS sites and/or a location where the two teams playing doesn't have a home-field advantage). It's the same as I don't think teams should have to rename their mascots because some are "offended." I think it's a badge of honor to be named after a team, especially if they win (I might be a little offended if they were losing but not because of the mascot itself and I am registered Cherokee). So boycotting on the basis of politics is not a good thing for the sport. Boycotting on sports-related issues is another matter entirely.

badger
4/28/2010, 11:01 AM
so a site has ~1 month to plan for all those tourists, etc...?

Hell, the site already only has a month to determine which fanbases to cater to. Fans already only have a month to make travel and lodging plans, and schools already only have about a month to determine how to practice for what environment and what turn they'll be playing in/on.

Sooooo... choose a site that's already a bowl site (a BCS bowl site, preferrably), then say "Hey you! You're the BCS championship site now!" and watch as the site does a victory dance, knowing that they are guaranteed 100 percent (or more) capacity of butts in seats.

Fairness issues may dictate that no site can host twice in a row and that preference be given to sites that have not hosted recently.

Chuck Bao
4/28/2010, 11:13 AM
Does anyone else find it strange that SEC teams tend to peak as the championship game rolls through their neck of the woods?

I wonder how much of that is in recruiting. A four-year rotation and a four-year eligibility (although, obviously, the stars don't stay that long).

Honestly, I don't know anything about the psychology and the spin that most recruiters put on the high school athletes, but personally I would take notice if a university recruiter said that the national title game will be played here in our own backyard when you are a senior and you will get ultimate maximum national exposure and ensure the big bucks when you enter the NFL draft.

A five-year rotation of the championship game would obviously throw this advange off a little bit and honestly make it a bit more fair.

swardboy
4/28/2010, 11:20 AM
Really now...who is hurt most by boycotting Arizona...I say the poor bastages who are there illegally.

And whatever happened to honoring contracts?

badger
4/28/2010, 11:22 AM
Does anyone else find it strange that SEC teams tend to peak as the championship game rolls through their neck of the woods?

I wonder how much of that is in recruiting. A four-year rotation and a four-year eligibility (although, obviously, the stars don't stay that long).

Honestly, I don't know anything about the psychology and the spin that most recruiters put on the high school athletes, but personally I would take notice if a university recruiter said that the national title game will be played here in our own backyard when you are a senior and you will get ultimate maximum national exposure and ensure the big bucks when you enter the NFL draft.

A five-year rotation of the championship game would obviously throw this advange off a little bit and honestly make it a bit more fair.

Meh, the 2004 game was in Florida between two non-SEC teams, but since that is the game we don't mention, we won't mention which teams, nor the score.

The 2005 game was also between two non-SEC teams in California, with the California team losing.

The 2006 game (note that the year is the season's year, not the year the game was played on, heh) was in Arizona, not SEC country by any stretch of the imagination with SEC's Florida winning.

The 2007-08 games follow your pattern, with SEC's LSU winning at the Super Dome in Nawlins and SEC's Florida winning at Pro Player in Miami.

The 2009 game was again, not SEC country, yet Texas still finds away to lose to an SEC team. What, you say your quarterback was injured? What, you say that key player injuries can lead to losses? Bawwwwwwww ;)

Chuck Bao
4/28/2010, 11:37 AM
Meh, the 2004 game was in Florida between two non-SEC teams, but since that is the game we don't mention, we won't mention which teams, nor the score.

The 2005 game was also between two non-SEC teams in California, with the California team losing.

The 2006 game (note that the year is the season's year, not the year the game was played on, heh) was in Arizona, not SEC country by any stretch of the imagination with SEC's Florida winning.

The 2007-08 games follow your pattern, with SEC's LSU winning at the Super Dome in Nawlins and SEC's Florida winning at Pro Player in Miami.

The 2009 game was again, not SEC country, yet Texas still finds away to lose to an SEC team. What, you say your quarterback was injured? What, you say that key player injuries can lead to losses? Bawwwwwwww ;)

All those facts are obviously true. I wasn't really debating the outcome of these games. I was trying to debate the four-year eligibility and the four-year rotatation gave unfair recruiting advantages to a few particular area schools.

badger
4/28/2010, 11:59 AM
All those facts are obviously true. I wasn't really debating the outcome of these games. I was trying to debate the four-year eligibility and the four-year rotatation gave unfair recruiting advantages to a few particular area schools.

:D It be all good, Bao. I'd just be happy to get back in the BCS after this past season...preferrably against a hapless Cincy team that just lost their coach after cruising to an undefeated season, so they have inflated expectations and are just waiting for the rug to get pulled out from underneath them. You know, a sure-win situation.

MiccoMacey
4/30/2010, 12:42 PM
Badger, go back one more year...2003. SEC team, SEC venue.

The SEC has two of the four BCS bowls in its backyard. The PAC-10 has the other two.

I'm not for moving the game, but those conferences do have a built-in advantage (not that it's the defining advantage).

yermom
4/30/2010, 12:49 PM
:D It be all good, Bao. I'd just be happy to get back in the BCS after this past season...preferrably against a hapless Cincy team that just lost their coach after cruising to an undefeated season, so they have inflated expectations and are just waiting for the rug to get pulled out from underneath them. You know, a sure-win situation.

we get to do that much earlier than that ;)

and i hope it's as easy as you say it is...

soonerloyal
4/30/2010, 12:51 PM

*snicker**elbows Badger**snort**hawhaw**highfive* :D

TexasLidig8r
4/30/2010, 02:13 PM
Patience...

When the BCS contract runs out after 2014, Jerry World and the Cotton Bowl will be included in the mix.

BCS championship game will rotate every 5 years.

Cotton Bowl will host the Big XII champ when we're not playing in the national championship game.

Cotton Bowl -- Big XII Champ
Sugar Bowl -- SEC Champ
Rose Bowl -- Big 10 - Pac 10
Orange Bowl -- Big Least - ACC Champ
Fiesta Bowl -- Winner of the MWC - Conference USA play in game.

All this goes out the door if there is conference realignment.

Crucifax Autumn
4/30/2010, 09:29 PM
ESPN has a story about baseball players' feelings about Arizona and based on this, some of Chuck's observations could be true:

NEW YORK -- Given a chance to take part in the 2011 All-Star game at Arizona, Ozzie Guillen insists he won't go.

"I wouldn't do it," the Chicago White Sox manager said Friday. "As a Latin American, it's natural that I have to support our own."

Guillen joined a growing chorus of opposition to Arizona's new law that empowers police to determine a person's immigration status. The state is home to all four major team sports, hosts half the clubs in spring training and holds top events in NASCAR, golf and tennis.

The Major League Baseball players' union issued a statement condemning the law. A congressman whose district includes Yankee Stadium wrote a letter to baseball commissioner Bud Selig urging him to pull the All-Star game from Phoenix. The World Boxing Council took a step to limit fights in Arizona.

"It's a bad thing," said Baltimore shortstop Cesar Izturis, born in Venezuela. "Now they're going to go after everybody, not just the people behind the wall. Now they're going to come out on the street. What if you're walking on the street with your family and kids? They're going to go after you."

With more than one-quarter of big leaguers on opening-day rosters were born outside the 50 states, most of them from Hispanic descent.

"These international players are very much a part of our national pastime," MLB union head Michael Weiner said. "Each of them must be ready to prove, at any time, his identity and the legality of his being in Arizona to any state or local official with suspicion of his immigration status."

Weiner said that if the law is not repealed or modified, the union would consider "additional steps."

A day earlier, WBC president Jose Sulaiman said its sanctioning body unanimously agreed it will not authorize Mexican boxers to fight in Arizona.

"Great figures of boxing have fought in Arizona, boxers such as Julio Cesar Chavez, Salvador Sanchez, Konstantin Tszyu, 'Coloradito' Lopez and many, many others," said Sulaiman, who is based in Mexico City. "The WBC will not allow that in boxing, athletes are exposed to suffer that degrading act, humiliating and inhumane, as racial discrimination is."

MLB, the NFL and the NBA declined comment on the law.

The BCS national championship game will be played next January in Glendale, Ariz., shortly after the city hosts the Fiesta Bowl.

"The recent Arizona immigration legislation is obviously a matter of great public concern," the Fiesta Bowl said in a statement Friday. "While this matter may ultimately be resolved in a court of law or in the court of public opinion, we are certain that it will not be resolved on the fields of college football."

Rep. Jose Serrano, D-N.Y., sent a letter Thursday night to Selig, asking him to take next year's All-Star game out of Arizona.

Calling the law "extremist" and "discriminatory," the congressman wrote: The All-Star game is now not just a display of baseball's best talent, but is also a display of the global reach of the game. It is at odds with the reality of the modern game to hold such a prestigious event in a state that would not welcome those same players if they did not play our national pastime."

Arizona Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick said "this whole situation is sad and disappointing."

"We believe the federal government should act swiftly to address the immigration issue once and for all," he said in a statement.

Said Cleveland Indians coach Sandy Alomar Jr., whose team trains in Goodyear, Ariz.: "Certainly I am against profiling any race and having sterotypes, but at the same time my feeling is what does baseball have to do with politics? Let the politicians stay in politics and the baseball players play baseball."

Guillen, from Venezuela, became an American citizen in 2006. He said players should consider boycotting baseball in Arizona, adding, "I plead sportsmen to join on this."

The White Sox hold spring training in suburban Phoenix. Guillen said he hoped MLB would take a strong stance on the immigration law.

"They have to. They have a team in Arizona," he said. "There is a concern for baseball players to go out there, of course, and we've got to support those people."

OUAlum1990
5/2/2010, 09:57 PM
That would be excellent if it were in Houston. I'll be there no matter the cost!