PDA

View Full Version : SI's Top 40 prospects for the 2011 draft

Collier11
4/28/2010, 01:52 AM
Murray and Lewis listed

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/draft-2010/04/26/2011.prospects/1.html

gaylordfan1
4/28/2010, 08:25 AM
Hmmm, T. Lewis leveled off last year..... Wait til this year.

gaylordfan1
4/28/2010, 08:26 AM
I am hinting that he will blow up!

IronHorseSooner
4/28/2010, 09:47 AM
We have a few guys who could end up on that by the end of the year. I am pleasingly surprised that QC was on there. Man, I would hate to be someone getting hit by our LBs or safeties!

badger
4/28/2010, 11:12 AM
I think we should have learned by now how meaningless these preseason/next year draft projections are.

Some players can get to the top of the draft board by hardly playing (Sammie), some can slip to undrafted by playing (Jevan Snead). Some can be projected wherever the eff you want and they'll still slip (Clausen). Some can have monster years and shoot to the top (Suh)

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 11:23 AM
I think we should have learned by now how meaningless these preseason/next year draft projections are.

Some players can get to the top of the draft board by hardly playing (Sammie), some can slip to undrafted by playing (Jevan Snead). Some can be projected wherever the eff you want and they'll still slip (Clausen). Some can have monster years and shoot to the top (Suh)

This.

Kiper had Tony Pike and Jevan Snead as first rounders as recently as last fall. I wouldn't even want to know what his board looked like in MAY of 2009.

badger
4/28/2010, 11:56 AM
This.

Kiper had Tony Pike and Jevan Snead as first rounders as recently as last fall. I wouldn't even want to know what his board looked like in MAY of 2009.

Are you sure? :D

Linky (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4411477)

In September 2009 he was drifting back and forth with the likes of Pike, Snead, Colt and Sammie in his "big board" (question: why does your "big board" have 25 players when there are 32 picks in round one?).

He drops Snead after two weeks in September, and moves Pike up. Why?

Here's the change: If a player is a junior who isn't currently in the top 15, I'm going to leave him off. My reasoning is that in the top 15, it's rare to see a junior stay in school.

By October, he's dropped twist-your-neck-around Jake Locker in his top four and then Jimmy Clausen at 11. Suddenly, but mid-October, Sammie is at 5 instead of 1. Wtf...

By November, soon-to-be-top-4 pick Trent Williams is off the big board, which we remind you, is only 25 picks, so it really should be the little board. Kipe sucks!

It is now December 2009, and Jimmy and Jake surpassed Sammie and Colt is at the bottom of Melvin's little board... and then fell off. He also predicted two SC'ers in the top 15... lol.

It is January, and Sam has re-entered the Kipe's top 5... did I mention there's no mention of Tim Tebow anywhere? Perhaps we CAN like this Mel Kiper after all! Realizing the error of his ways, Trent re-enters the little board.

April - Colt re-enters the little board! Sammie still trails Jimmy, but both are in the top 5.

And... there you have it. Yawn.

Curly Bill
4/28/2010, 06:21 PM
Murray #21...really? That's insane!

Collier11
4/28/2010, 06:36 PM
If he has a season like 08 it is completely legit, damn I hope he is fully healthy

MelloYello
4/28/2010, 07:47 PM
North Carolina with five defensive prospects in the top 40.

That unit is going to be NASTY this year.

Tigeman
4/28/2010, 07:59 PM
I'm just kind of Shocked Beal isn't getting any respect so far. Maybe people are waiting to see what happens when he doesn't have GK there to draw attn?

Curly Bill
4/28/2010, 08:01 PM
North Carolina with five defensive prospects in the top 40.

That unit is going to be NASTY this year.

Yeah right, it's North Carolina and football they're talking about here.

Oh wait...they weren't any good in B-ball this year either. :D

TMcGee86
4/28/2010, 08:06 PM
No Broyles?

pfft.

JLEW1818
4/28/2010, 08:07 PM
Cade Davis?

HolaKyle
4/29/2010, 01:12 AM
Can someone please explain to me why Jake Locker keeps on showing up on everyone's list?

HE ISN'T GOOD! For college, his career completion rating is 53.3%! That is IN COLLEGE (when you expect dropoff at the next level) and against BAD DEFENSES from the Pac-10!

I just don't understand...

yankee
4/29/2010, 01:35 AM
Can someone please explain to me why Jake Locker keeps on showing up on everyone's list?

HE ISN'T GOOD! For college, his career completion rating is 53.3%! That is IN COLLEGE (when you expect dropoff at the next level) and against BAD DEFENSES from the Pac-10!

I just don't understand...

has all the physical tools that nfl gm's drool over...and he showed marked improvement this past season from his previous two seasons (58% comp, 21 TD's and only 11 INT's). and that's on a washington team that isn't very good.

meoveryouxinfinity
4/29/2010, 07:59 AM
I posted this on another site but ...

I think Broyles will be taken in the first round.

1. He hasn't lost his head since his true freshman year, except the show boating incident--if you include that.
2. He has the chance to be the premiere WR in a conference with very little top-talent offense returning. He will get tons of exposure, especially if we have a title-year.
3. OU will be improved from last year, he will get more exposure (again).
4. He is VERY similar to Percy Harvin, NFL offensive rookie of the year.. taken #22 overall by the Vikings. Broyles will reap the rewards of Harvin's success.
Harvin: 5'11", 192 lb
Broyles: 5'11", 178 lb

Harvin's Sophomore season at UF:
Year No. Yds Avg. TDs Long
2007 59 858 14.5 4 52

Broyles's Sophomore season at OU:
2009 89 1,120 12.6 15 51

They are both ST threats.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2010, 08:30 AM
59% completion percentage, 19 interceptions in a season, ranked 61st in passer rating in his last ncaa season

where would you draft a player with those stats?

rawlingsHOH
4/29/2010, 08:38 AM

1. He hasn't lost his head since his true freshman year, except the show boating incident--if you include that.
2. He has the chance to be the premiere WR in a conference with very little top-talent offense returning. He will get tons of exposure, especially if we have a title-year.
4. He is VERY similar to Percy Harvin, NFL offensive rookie of the year.. taken #22 overall by the Vikings. Broyles will reap the rewards of Harvin's success.

2007 59 858 14.5 4 52

2009 89 1,120 12.6 15 51

I like Broyles a lot, but I think it is somewhat of a stretch to compare him to Harvin. The unique aspect of Harvin's game is that he's so physical. I do think Broyles will have a place in the NFL. probably with a team that likes to use a lot of 3 WR sets.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2010, 08:48 AM

2007 59 858 14.5 4 52

2009 89 1,120 12.6 15 51

I don't have a problem with the idea of someone taking him early but I don't think a comparison to Harvin is correct..Harvin can do everything like play runningback, has a different build, and is incredibly strong for his size..Broyles is also very strong for his size but harvin is a freak..

I think probably the more comparable as far as the physical side is DeSean Jackson if we are gonna compare him to a first rounder...similar build, similar game but I'm not sure what Broyles legit 40 time is...which Jackson's 4.35 is what got him in the 1st round

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2010, 08:56 AM
59% completion percentage, 19 interceptions in a season, ranked 61st in passer rating in his last ncaa season

where would you draft a player with those stats?

or how about 55% completion percentage, only 19 TDs, but managed to be 15th in passer rating?

rawlingsHOH
4/29/2010, 11:03 AM
I think probably the more comparable as far as the physical side is DeSean Jackson if we are gonna compare him to a first rounder...similar build, similar game but I'm not sure what Broyles legit 40 time is...which Jackson's 4.35 is what got him in the 1st round
Good comparison! Jackson is obviously a better deep threat due to his elite speed. Broyles probably more consistent catching the ball, and most importantly not dropping it before he reaches the EZ! I see him as a 3rd round-type, who could get a huge boost with a great 40.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/29/2010, 12:16 PM
if he is anywhere in the 4.5s, definitely wont be able to get a pre-3 pick..