PDA

View Full Version : Diff between OU and the Thunder

Collier11
4/27/2010, 11:57 PM
When OU gets beat it makes me sick to my stomach, when the Thunder lose I am merely disappointed.

Is everyone else like that?

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:12 AM
Yep.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 12:14 AM
Im sure the longer the Thunder are around ill become more attached but at this point its not even comparable

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:15 AM
They are growing on me, but I just became a fan this year really. So as time goes by, I will probably become much more attached and emotionally involved.

KingWKB
4/28/2010, 12:32 AM
Same here. But this is for a number of reasons. More games so you can expect loses, and we never expect OU to lose. And little expectations for the Thunder. Especially tonight, I didn't think they'd have a chance. But that's okay because I can't see the Lakers coming to OKC friday night and winning.

ndpruitt03
4/28/2010, 12:43 AM
In 1999 when we lost to Ole Miss in the Independence Bowl we weren't that upset because we had just gone through a bad decade. I see this as a parallel. The Thunder winning more than 45 games is a bonus for most fans. They are in the playoffs and are probably gonna take the Lakers to 7 games. Say that a year ago you would be in an asylum. It won't take long for a first year playoff loss to be a disappointment for the Thunder franchise. Just like it didn't take long for the Sooners to get back to where there were disappointing losses even after winning it all in 2000.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 12:44 AM
when we lost to Ole Miss I was beyond upset, not sure where you are coming from

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:49 AM
I was devastated to lose to Ole Miss.

yermom
4/28/2010, 12:50 AM
some of that is 82 games vs 12 games

Collier11
4/28/2010, 12:53 AM
most of it probably is CFB vs NBA

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:54 AM
True. But I would assume that if I was that hardcore of a fan already, I would be living and dying on each game in these playoffs. I root for them, but I am just happy they did this much this season.

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:55 AM
CFB >>>>>>> any bball (especially NBA)

ndpruitt03
4/28/2010, 01:20 AM

I don't think there was near as much disappointment as there was say 2 years later when we got beat by a 3 win OSU team.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 01:32 AM
The loss to OSU was numb, the loss to Ole Miss was upsetting, any loss is disgusting

ndpruitt03
4/28/2010, 01:35 AM
And compared to the years we suffered from 94-98 7-5 was a great year. The next year was amazing. I think when the Thunder have a year next year where they win like 60 games and are a top seed and go deep in the playoffs, we'll feel the same way we felt around that time. Lets say the next year they fall back down win about 50 games and lose in the first round or just miss the playoffs, that will be just as numb. The thing is it's new for the area just like OU football winning again was new 10 years ago. A lot of people didn't expect OU to recover like they did and be a power again.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 01:38 AM
I wouldnt go that far, we still have a few yrs of the Mavs being good, The Lakers probably have 1 or 2 more yrs with the current team, Portland is going to be really good, etc...

rainiersooner
4/28/2010, 02:39 AM
Well, NO ONE is going to agree with me on this, but...I'm drunk, so I'll say it, just to get it off my chest.

The Thunder, to me, represent the worst aspect of professional sports. Before I even knew where Oklahoma was, my Dad took me to Sonics games at the Kingdome...before I could speak, I was watching Downtown Fred Brown, Slick Watts, and Jack Sikma; that morphed into the barren 80s but became the great teams of the 90s with X Man, Kemp, and moved onto Payton, and Ray Allen, and Rashad Lewis. Key Arena was a GREAT place to watch games. A lot of my greatest memories as a kid were watching the Sonics. So, while I am very happy that my friends in OKC get to watch the NBA, I can't help but remain very, very bitter that David Stern turned his back on a core group of fans who gave everything the NBA could have asked of them, for 30 plus years, just because our politicians couldn't get their act together and because Howard Schultz couldn't handle his investors bitching about getting capital calls.

Watching the Thunder feels like watching someone screw my wife, to be honest.

GKeeper316
4/28/2010, 03:39 AM

ive hated deuce mccallister ever since that day.

when the sooners lose... well its starts with numbness... then the rage happens and stuff gets broken. then the blame... wasnt our fault we lost, we obviously got screwed. the blame stage usually last for a couple days then i come around and get ready for the next game while keeping a very close eye on the rest of the country to see if we still have any shot at a title.

GKeeper316
4/28/2010, 03:40 AM
Well, NO ONE is going to agree with me on this, but...I'm drunk, so I'll say it, just to get it off my chest.

The Thunder, to me, represent the worst aspect of professional sports. Before I even knew where Oklahoma was, my Dad took me to Sonics games at the Kingdome...before I could speak, I was watching Downtown Fred Brown, Slick Watts, and Jack Sikma; that morphed into the barren 80s but became the great teams of the 90s with X Man, Kemp, and moved onto Payton, and Ray Allen, and Rashad Lewis. Key Arena was a GREAT place to watch games. A lot of my greatest memories as a kid were watching the Sonics. So, while I am very happy that my friends in OKC get to watch the NBA, I can't help but remain very, very bitter that David Stern turned his back on a core group of fans who gave everything the NBA could have asked of them, for 30 plus years, just because our politicians couldn't get their act together and because Howard Schultz couldn't handle his investors bitching about getting capital calls.

were you a season ticket holder?

Collier11
4/28/2010, 04:02 AM

as long as you are smart enough to realize that it was the politicians of WASH and the owners that screwed you all and not the owners of the OKC franchise

GKeeper316
4/28/2010, 04:31 AM
as long as you are smart enough to realize that it was the politicians of WASH and the owners that screwed you all and not the owners of the OKC franchise

the consistantly half-empty arena had nothing to do with it...

the people of seattle had their chance to save their team.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 05:12 AM
yep

MeMyself&Me
4/28/2010, 06:27 AM
When OU gets beat it makes me sick to my stomach, when the Thunder lose I am merely disappointed.

It's the difference between expecting to win and hoping to win. As Sooner fans, we're more used to the former.

Boomer.....
4/28/2010, 07:19 AM

I feel the same.

Breadburner
4/28/2010, 08:23 AM
No comparison......

SbOrOiNaEnR
4/28/2010, 10:14 AM

I'm sure the good posters of ThunderFans.com would disagree with you. Here at SF, your cavalier nonchalance is welcomed and encouraged. ;) :D

OUMallen
4/28/2010, 10:25 AM

Sorry they couldn't keep the Sonics there to satisfy the 4000 people that would go to games. Puh-leeze. Teams are allowed to move, you know. The city had tons of opportunities to keep the team.

You know even since then, funding was never pieced together for an NBA-ready arena, and you guys never even sniffe dgetting another team, so Clay Bennett is getting to keep the extra 20 mil or whatever he was going to have to pay if you did.

Translate: there was no way at all Seattle was supporting the team. I feel you, it sucks. But don't get all butthurt like someone did something nefarious.

OUMallen
4/28/2010, 10:26 AM
But to the OP: I am only slightly sicker when OU loses than when the Thunder lost last night. As for regular season Thunder games, though, it's not even close.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2010, 10:28 AM
Not even close for me either...

badger
4/28/2010, 12:35 PM

Are you referring to fooseball or basquetbol?

In b-ball, you lose and you have additional chances at revenge during the season.

In futbol, you only get one chance to shut those d@mn whorns up per season.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 01:03 PM
Football of course, this is the Football forum :D

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2010, 01:31 PM
This round, Im enjoying watching the Thunder lose...the rest of the time, I don't care

SbOrOiNaEnR
4/28/2010, 01:53 PM
Teams are allowed to move, you know.

Not in BASEketball! :D

"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes. The New Orleans Jazz moved to Utah, where they don't allow music. The Oakland Raiders moved to L.A., then back to Oakland. No one seemed to notice."

Sooner04
4/28/2010, 01:54 PM
Diff between OU and the Thunder?
OU - rocks
Thunder - sucks

rainiersooner
4/28/2010, 04:16 PM
were you a season ticket holder?

Yes, in the 2000s when I could afford it.

SoonerStud615
4/28/2010, 04:29 PM
some of that is 82 games vs 12 games

This. The playoffs game losses have made me pretty upset. Especially last nights. But the wins are maybe even more exciting than OU wins because the Thunder are consistently the underdog. During this last season of OU football and especially bball, I became pretty numb to our losses as time went by. However, losing to Texas will always trump any other loss of any kind.

rainiersooner
4/28/2010, 04:54 PM

Actually my disdain is in this order for these reasons:

1. David Stern. Professional sports relies on the investment (monetary and otherwise) made by the fans. David Stern should look out for the interests of the fans, as well as the owners, and he simply turned his back on the Sonics fans.

2. Howard Schultz. When he sold to Bennett, he was either (a) the stupidest man in the world for thinking Bennett ever had any plans to keep the team in Seattle or (b) no longer believed he had a sense of duty and loyalty to the community that played a large part in his success. In either scenario, he sucks.

3. A whole swath of local elected officials, from Nick Licata on the city council ("the sonics have no cultural value"), mayor Greg Nickels, who did not have the sack to stay with a lawsuit that would have kept the Sonics in Seattle until THIS YEAR, thereby buying more time, and the Washington legislature, who refused to acknowledge that the Sonics had a tangible economic benefit on Seattle. Prior to that, Nickels refused to renegotiate the lease, whose onerous terms were the main cause of financial losses by the club.

4. Clay Bennett et al. I think he was a bit sleazy in pretending he wanted to keep the Sonics in Seattle - but at the end of the day, I admire him for getting what he wanted.

OUmillenium
4/29/2010, 09:20 AM
...is that I follow OU

BermudaSooner
4/29/2010, 10:20 AM
I've become a much bigger Thunder fan than I ever thought I could (season ticket holder)--games 3 and 4 were awesome--felt almost as good as the beat down of Tech in 2008.

At the end of the day though, I'd trade a 0-82 Thunder season for a win over Texas....not even close.

...sooner
4/29/2010, 10:45 AM
i get pretty upset when The thunder loses. i have yet to kick anything & scream over & over like i have when OU loses. but that loss the other night was painful & i have been to about 30 home thunder games this year so mines almost the same.

soonervegas
4/29/2010, 10:51 AM
I get pissed, but I don't lose sleep when the Thunder lose a playoff game. If OU loses a game I toss and turn half the night. (Different expectation level)

I am sure the feelings will be close the 1st time the Thunder are expected to win a Western Conference finals matchup and lose the series 3-4.