PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell Fail

Collier11
4/27/2010, 11:33 PM
After paying him $39 mil thus far, wasting a #1 pick on him, and getting 18td, 23int to show for it, The Raiders are about to release him finally

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5141392

BoulderSooner79
4/27/2010, 11:37 PM
The Raiders draft this year plus the trade for Campbell looked more like a normal team. Al must have finally delegated this year.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 11:43 PM
I hate to say it as I despise the Raiders but with that D, they will be tough this yr

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 11:46 PM
I still don't understand the mclain pick.. Especially with Kirk morrison still there

Collier11
4/27/2010, 11:48 PM
they traded Morrison on day 2 on a draft pick which they used to get Jacoby Ford

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:17 AM
That Ford kid is fast. But that doesn't surprise me with Al Davis.

Collier11
4/28/2010, 12:19 AM
atleast Ford has value unlike Heyward Bey

sooner59
4/28/2010, 12:52 AM
Very true. That pick made me and Crabtree both go "WTF?"

swardboy
4/28/2010, 05:21 AM
Enlighten me...what did JR do in college that merited such high $'s?

Jacie
4/28/2010, 06:08 AM
Can't they have Jamarcus play fullback in short yardage situations? How about as a down lineman? And surely they could use another of those guys who hands out cups of Gatorade . . .

Mad Dog Madsen
4/28/2010, 08:07 AM
He could throw the ball 80 yards down on one knee... That is all.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2010, 08:24 AM
they traded Morrison on day 2 on a draft pick which they used to get Jacoby Ford

so the raiders did make a stupid move for a track star..allsome

OUmillenium
4/28/2010, 08:25 AM
So could Randy Johnson, doesn't mean he knows how to play football.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/28/2010, 08:27 AM
Exactly!

badger
4/28/2010, 08:29 AM
I would blame Jamarkus for getting fat and not producing, but it takes a stupid team to draft a quarterback with a single good college season in the first place to sign him up for that much money after taking him #1 overall.

I think the money thing is more on the Raiders, and the fat is more on Russell. They're both to blame that this thing turned out as it did. Get Jamarky outta Oakland so he can possibly salvage his career elsewhere.

ouleaf
4/28/2010, 12:08 PM
pretty much inevitable after the Campbell trade. Raiders need to cut their losses and move on, even though he stole $40MM from you. What are the odds he will even be invited to workout for a team, b/c I highly doubt anyone will sign him.

NormanPride
4/28/2010, 12:31 PM
Did Jamarkus have a good season, or was it just a good game against the Domers? I thought that's all he had.

yankee
4/28/2010, 12:55 PM
i wonder if jamarcus will ever approach ryan leaf status...?

Mad Dog Madsen
4/28/2010, 12:58 PM

He may be the "new" Ryan Leaf when it's all said and done...

badger
4/28/2010, 01:04 PM
Enlighten me...what did JR do in college that merited such high $'s?

A memorable performance of the 2006 season came against Tennessee. In spite of throwing three interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown), he led LSU on a come-from-behind, 15-play, 80-yard drive in the final minutes of the game. The drive ended with a four-yard touchdown pass to Early Doucet with less than 10 seconds left in the game, and the Tigers defeated Tennessee 28-24. Earlier in the drive, Russell and Doucet also connected for a first down on a 4th and 8 situation. In the final game of his junior year, the Allstate Sugar Bowl, Russell accumulated over 350 yards of passing and rushing and scored 3 TDs, leading to the Tigers 41–14 win over Notre Dame. He was also named the Sugar Bowl's MVP.

high profile games pretty much did it. oh yes, and throwing an 80-yard pass on one knee. Al Davis loves speed and an offense filled with deep passes.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2010, 01:09 PM

money wise, Russell is the biggest bust....as far as "potential", i think its leaf...

and he had good season that year..through 27 or 28 TDs, a few picks...

that was just a terrible draft to go looking for a quarterback..so far, the top performers from the 2007 draft are Kevin Kolb and Tyler Thigpen...

Scott D
4/28/2010, 04:15 PM
lots of interesting speculation out there.

Russell may or may not be cut...it may depend on how he looks at mini camp.

Rumor was they were shopping Darren McFadden to a few teams including the Lions for a pick/picks.

They cut Huggybear's (the real one, not the basketball coach) boy a few months ago lightening up the logjam at tailback.

Ford's probably going to be more of a return guy than a starting WR, unless he manages to impress enough in camp to relegate Heyward-Bey to pine rider status.

Supposedly McClain is thought to be better at stopping the run than Morrison, and the only way they kept Morrison was if they were going to a straight 3-4 instead of a mutant hybrid 3-4 from a 4-3 base.

It sounds like they're almost expecting Houston from UTex to step in as a starter along with McClain.

ouleaf
5/7/2010, 11:27 AM
Looks like it's officially, official now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5168757

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders released former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell on Thursday, ending a three-year tenure marked by his high salary and unproductive play on the field.

Russell will now likely be considered one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history, joining Ryan Leaf, Ki-Jana Carter, Akili Smith and others on that list. He will have been paid more than $39 million by the Raiders, while producing only seven wins as a starter.

Russell showed up at last week's minicamp, saying he would keep coming to work until told otherwise. He looked decent in the first of five practices last weekend but got less work as the weekend went on and the decision to cut ties was finally made.

The Raiders paid Russell more than $36 million through last season. They still owe him $3 million more but saved $6.45 million by not having him on the roster in 2010.

"Sometimes certain expectations aren't met, and certainly there's an opportunity for a young athlete to continue to get better," Les Miles, Russell's coach at LSU, told the New Orleans Times-Picayune for Friday's editions. "It's only my hope the opportunity for JaMarcus to land with a team that will invest in him and give him the opportunity to continue to develop.

"I don't know the situation at Oakland. I would have expected him to have success early and late. Sometimes that doesn't work. Sometimes a guy needs more time to develop."

Since the start of the common draft in 1967, only one other No. 1 pick was released this quickly in his NFL career. Indianapolis cut 1992 top pick Steve Emtman after three seasons but that was more because of injuries than production. Emtman played three more seasons for Miami and Washington. It remains to be seen whether any team will give Russell another shot.

Russell won only seven of his 25 starts as the Raiders extended an NFL-worst streak to seven straight seasons with at least 11 losses. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.

That means Russell has been paid more than $5 million per win, more than $2 million per touchdown pass and more than $100,000 per completion.

While Russell's numbers are superior to Leaf's, he was paid considerably more money to do it and was picked first instead of second. Leaf's rookie contract guaranteed him only $11.25 million.

He was fined for being overweight when he showed up at training camp. He then put together one of the worst seasons in recent memory for an NFL quarterback. He completed 48.8 percent of his passes, with three touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a 50.0 passer rating that was the lowest since Leaf, Bobby Hoying and Craig Whelihan all finished below 50 in 1998.

Scott D
5/7/2010, 12:00 PM
rumor is that the Saints might take a flier on him.

Boarder
5/7/2010, 12:08 PM
It's sad that Jason Campbell was an upgrade.

GKeeper316
5/7/2010, 12:23 PM
He may be the "new" Ryan Leaf when it's all said and done...

i get the impression that russel at least likes the game...
leaf just cared about the money.

badger
5/7/2010, 01:03 PM

Chase Daniel > Jamarky Mark

BoulderSooner79
5/7/2010, 01:05 PM

And Chase comes in a more convenient, compact package that takes less room on the bench.

sooner94
5/7/2010, 04:23 PM
And Chase comes in a more convenient, compact package that takes less room on the bench.

Yeah, and the training table costs will be lower with Chase Daniel. What the article above does not mention is that in addition to the $39 million paid under the contract, the Raiders paid $55 million to feed Jamarcus. Horrible pick!!

Breadburner
5/7/2010, 04:46 PM
I dont think Russel had much of a chance.....

badger
5/7/2010, 04:47 PM
Jamarcus: I'm a football player.

Exec: Ok... and I see that you were a former first overall pick and had a championship-winning career at LSU.

Jamarcus: Sorta...

Exec: OK, then, there's no question that I'll sign you to a contract

(Jamarcus gets his hopes up)

Exec: If there's no question that you'll take a paycut down to the salary minimum.

(Jamarcus gets sad)

Exec: Practice squad minimum, to be more specific.

(Jamarcus gets sadder)

Exec: For the Canadian Football League.

(Jamarcus sheds a tear)

Exec: Did I mention that you'll be paid in Canadian dollars?

(Jamarcus bawls)

Scott D
5/7/2010, 05:05 PM

it doesn't matter who might be more polished with coaches who allegedly have a "god complex" when it comes to "quarterback development". Or maybe Sean Peyton just feels he's being outshined by Josh McDaniels' project right now ;)

Uncle Ernie
5/9/2010, 12:38 PM
As a Raider fan all the way back to "Wonderful" Warren Wells and Hewert Dixon (Yeah I'm that old so sue me!) I have been flubbergasted by the drafting of JR. I still have newspaper clippings of the '77 and '81 Super Bowl victories. Newspapers were these things with written stories before the innerwebbings.They need to stick Al in that BP oilwell to plug it. He's useless as titz on a boar pig. I used to love the guy but he needs to exit now. Exiting gracefully passed a LOOONG time ago.

GottaHavePride
5/9/2010, 04:17 PM
Did Jamarkus have a good season, or was it just a good game against the Domers? I thought that's all he had.

I think all he had were "measurables".

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2010, 09:24 AM
wanna see how much Jamarcus had to do to match your yearly income?

Jamarcus vs. you (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=5142920)

SoonerTank
5/10/2010, 10:20 AM
Did it STEP. You talk about disheartening. I believe he is still more talented at what he does, than I am, for what I am doing.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2010, 10:23 AM
yeah i hear ya...I've decided im gonna try what he did, and not go to work until I get the money I want

NormanPride
5/10/2010, 10:28 AM
I could officially do that. I could do what was required to make that money. 2 completions? I can make two completions.

badger
5/10/2010, 10:42 AM
Al Davis' failure on Jamarcus might have been what triggered all the questionable decisions in this past NFL Draft.

The decisions were questionable because they were... sound. They were logical. They were good draft choices. No red flags raised like previous years.

After losing so much money on Jamarcus, Al Davis may have finally given up on the NFL Draft. However, when you see a phone ringing on the sideline, you can still expect that they'll go deep on the next play :rolleyes:

Mad Dog Madsen
5/10/2010, 02:55 PM
So who were the top QB's in that draft? I remember Jamarcus and Brady Quinn. Was there any good QB in that draft??? I think Kevin Kolb was in drafted in the 2nd round that year or the year before. I maybe be wrong tho...

stoops the eternal pimp
5/10/2010, 03:07 PM
best quarterbacks in that draft so far are Kolb and Thigpen who was taken in the 7th...and Thigpen is a backup, Kolb was until this next season

Bourbon St Sooner
5/10/2010, 04:05 PM

Man, I could just see Jamarcus trying to keep those banker's hours around Drew Brees. No way that's going to work. Those guys would have a throw down in the first week.

hgarmorer
5/11/2010, 01:52 PM
wanna see how much Jamarcus had to do to match your yearly income?

Jamarcus vs. you (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/salary/index?athleteId=5142920)

...I hate my job right now lol