PDA

View Full Version : Now that we reloaded,how good can this team be?

stoopified
4/27/2010, 02:34 PM
I would be the first to admit that I do see the world through crimson lenses that might ever so slightly make me biased.That said I think we can at the very least lip last year;s record of 13-18 to 18-13.

My reasons for this optimism? Last year was not only an anomaly for OU the last 25 years it was also out of character for Capel in his career.Secondly the specter of last year and that meltdown shoul;d serve as a warning to the players AND coaches about how hard they have to work to be good.Third we have brought in talent that as far as ratings go is preety darn good even if it doesn't have any BURGER BOYS(I just love that nickname for McD A-As,wish I had thought of it).

TJ and Cam were both top 100(Cam even ranking Top 50 on some boards) players,new point guard Newlin I think was in that same category(Top 100-150.Add to that CJ was a juco A-A who averaged 19ppg,13rpg a game while Pledger,Fitz both had their positive moments last year and Cade has been solid(if unremarkable) for THREE years.Throw in UNO pg transfer Blair who should fight for a starting job ,not to mention Nick and Kyle(botn of whom I have reservations concerning) .I will say this I have watched several OU teams with his level of talent make THE DANCE. At this point I am not willing to predict that,but I don't see it out of the realm of possibility.

At this juncture I think we do at least flp the record,I will proably wait until 4-5 games are palyed next year before deciding to upgrade or downgrade my projection.In any case things are definitely looking up.

...sooner
4/27/2010, 03:24 PM
and tyler neal!

ndpruitt03
4/27/2010, 03:45 PM
Depends on how good our defense is.

soonervegas
4/27/2010, 04:15 PM
Not great, but better now that the cancer has been cut out. If we play 30 games next year I will say 17-13. 4 game improvement on the stat sheet and much gnashing of teeth next year about what is acceptable for a basketball coach at OU record wise.

stoopified
4/27/2010, 04:55 PM
Depends on how good our defense is.That is true but all the teams we have had wtuout a bunch of spoiled BURGER BOYS have played solid D .I can't ever recall in my 35 years as a Sooner b-ball fan any OU team being as bad as last year on D.I also believe that guys with less pub tend to have more to prove.

I can't believe I forgot Tyler Neal.While he may not have been highly recruited I think he could end up being at least a Godbold-Cade type player and that ain't bad.He must have some game in order to be Gatorade POY.

Btw for historical cmparison purposes I thought about when John McCleod was coaching at OU and the fact OU never accomplished much in spite of talent.I researched it and found out that in 1972 he had a roster with Bobby Jack,Clifford Ray,Gar Heard all on the same team, a team that finished 14-12Bobby Jack is still a top 20 all-time scorer at OU and Ray and Heard both played around 10 or more years in the NBA.Oh and McCleod went on to be a fairly suesfull NBA coach at Phoenix.Last year was a pretty good example of the fact that it takes more than talent to suceed But 1972 shows us that Capel isn't alone in having underachieving talented teams.

the_ouskull
4/27/2010, 05:35 PM
Depends on how good our defense is.

Says the guy who ran one of the most defense-minded coaches I've ever been around out of town with a smile...

the_ouskull

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure I'd say reloaded. Definitely rebuilt, though.

As far as predictions, nobody has a clue. We had an idea what we had coming back last year, and were all way off. This year, we have no clue what to expect, so any guess would be based on practically nothing.

pappy
4/27/2010, 09:41 PM
I still think we need a big guy...someone 6'10" - 7'0"+ ... our tallest guy is 6'8" Currently no matter what lineup we throw out there we will have a small lineup.

Ton Loc
4/27/2010, 09:52 PM
Says the guy who ran one of the most defense-minded coaches I've ever been around out of town with a smile...

the_ouskull

You're giving him too much credit - I think he had some help.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 10:32 PM
All depends on our schedule

OUmillenium
4/28/2010, 08:51 AM
I still think we need a big guy...someone 6'10" - 7'0"+ ... our tallest guy is 6'8" Currently no matter what lineup we throw out there we will have a small lineup.

Yep.

Need some size and rebounding to get a winning record. Or shoot around 65% from the field to compensate.

NormanPride
4/28/2010, 09:51 AM
We can't just have Tall Guy A on our team. We need them to be able to play basketball. Height can be a disadvantage if you don't know how to use it, and we don't need another foul machine.

the_ouskull
4/28/2010, 04:58 PM
Did I just hear my name called?

Sin,
Longar to the 2nd

yankee
4/28/2010, 07:15 PM
depends on the strength of the big 12. i'm optimistic to see inspired play on the court, but i'm pretty sure that we're going to end up with a record very similar to this past season. think about it. a roster full of "average" and mainly untested players? i think we'll have to wait for the 2011-2012 season to see this team near the top of the big 12...i hope not, but that's probably what's going to happen.

Collier11
5/1/2010, 04:37 PM
1 or 2 players can have a huge impact, Cam Clark is a 4 star recruit and Washington is a Juco AA, if we can get those two to play well and get decent PG play, we could be a decent team. Not saying great, but atleast decent.

Also, word is we got a hidden gem out of Somalia, 6'10'' and very fundamentally sound...I dont have a link, ive just read it at a cpl diff sites

SoonerShark
5/3/2010, 12:37 PM
Now that we at least have five scholarship players I feel better. The biggest shame is that Tommy Mason-Griffin lacked the character to be a team player. Our recent McDonald All-America team players (other than Blake Griffin) makes you appreciate the Cade Davises and Tony Crockers of the world much more. Of course, Texas' one and out player, Kevin Durant, appears to have tremendous character and is a good citizen in the community, which is blatently obvious now. Who knew we would want our college team to reflect the team unity and character of a pro team, the Thunder.

Eielson
5/3/2010, 04:33 PM
Did I just hear my name called?

Sin,
Longar to the 2nd

I love how you act as if Longar wouldn't help this team.

NormanPride
5/3/2010, 05:02 PM
I would kill for Longar on this team. He was a great team player and a good college big. He had games where he went off for 15-20 and he had games where he disappeared, but he always played hard and was fun to watch. How many of our guys can you say that about now? Cade Davis maybe?

the_ouskull
5/3/2010, 05:39 PM

I'll take the high road and cite the fact that he's no longer eligible rather than the fact that he wasn't a good basketball player. Would he help this team?

Absolutely. He'd be a boost to our overall GPA, and he's got at least 5 more fouls to offer on any given night. And probably 10 points and about 4 boards. I mean, he's a legit 6'10", and our team is a bunch of full-grown midgets. Of course he'd help in that regard. Don't be facetious.

the_ouskull

Collier11
5/3/2010, 07:44 PM

Longar was not a good basketball player while here, he couldnt make a layup for gosh sakes...if we are being honest he was an average player at best

Eielson
5/3/2010, 09:19 PM
I'll take the high road and cite the fact that he's no longer eligible rather than the fact that he wasn't a good basketball player. Would he help this team?

Absolutely. He'd be a boost to our overall GPA, and he's got at least 5 more fouls to offer on any given night. And probably 10 points and about 4 boards. I mean, he's a legit 6'10", and our team is a bunch of full-grown midgets. Of course he'd help in that regard. Don't be facetious.

the_ouskull

I'd say probably more like 10 points, 7 boards, and top 5 or 6 in the conference for blocks.