PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy vs. Tommie Harris

primetime43
4/27/2010, 02:32 PM
Who is better given Tommie is healthy? What does one do better than the other? Who was more dominant in college?

I know some of you on here are excellent observers and know X's and O's.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 10:33 AM
Harris the better athlete. McCoy the better head. Pretty much sums it up.

I'm still not sure I've seen another 300-pounder run like Harris. But he'd have longer stretches where he'd go MIA, whether it was due to nagging injuries or whatever. The only real time I can remember McCoy seemingly disappearing was against Miami last fall (I think). McCoy, longer frame, more diverse. I think he could fit into more schemes than they give him great for. Where as Harris is strictly up the field one-gap.

McCoy's overall maturity is extremely rare for a kid his age, and I think had a lot to due with his successes.

When both guys bring their "A game", I'd probably take Harris. But we saw McCoy's more often than we saw Tommie's!

Mad Dog Madsen
4/28/2010, 10:39 AM
As of now I would take McCoy but he has yet to play a down in the pro's. I love both of those guys though. You can't go wrong with either one!

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2010, 10:54 AM
really 2 different types of DTs..Tommie Harris, which was already brought out, would just disappear at times...I remember the Alabama game where he sacked the quarterback before he could even drop back and then he was nowhere to be seen..Look what McCoy did in that 4th quarter series against BYU..Harris never had a series where he just took over.. .Of course, Tommie played a lot less snaps than McCoy did with the rotating that OU has done in the past...

At the same time Harris was an amazing raw athlete...4.78 in the forty at 292 lbs..29 reps in the bench press with 5 not counted that should have been(was at that one)....

McCoy was more dominant in college...McCoy can get off of blocks better and doesn't allow a blocker to get as good of leverage on him as Harris did/does...

Harris has a better first step..

I think the question is when Harris is healthy and wants to play hard, who is the best...I think you know more of what your getting with McCoy but Harris playing with a want to and healthy is hard to beat

Breadburner
4/28/2010, 11:00 AM
McCoy all the way especially on character.....

badger
4/28/2010, 11:10 AM
McCoy all the way especially on character.....

wtf... really?! Tommie is an AWESOME person! His dream was to become a teacher after playing in the NFL because he loves being a role model for children.

I know we've seen how wonderful Gerald is recently, but don't forget how awesome Tommie is too. I know he had that little kicked-outta-game incident recently, and I know he's had issues with Lovie Dovie, but don't let that convince you for one second that Tommie isn't a good person.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 11:26 AM
wtf... really?! Tommie is an AWESOME person! His dream was to become a teacher after playing in the NFL because he loves being a role model for children.

I know we've seen how wonderful Gerald is recently, but don't forget how awesome Tommie is too. I know he had that little kicked-outta-game incident recently, and I know he's had issues with Lovie Dovie, but don't let that convince you for one second that Tommie isn't a good person.
Good guy for sure, just a little immature.

badger
4/28/2010, 11:31 AM
Good guy for sure, just a little immature.

It is easy to be mature and happy and such when you're winning. Da bears, however, utterly suck.

It's like Nebraska fans. Sure, they're polite and supportive of their team... when they're winning.

NormanPride
4/28/2010, 12:21 PM
Word. Lovie has had it in for Tommie since day one and he's through putting up with it.

ndpruitt03
4/28/2010, 12:30 PM
Tommie is the little better athlete, I think McCoy is the better football player.

primetime43
4/28/2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Rawlings and STEP. Great breakdown. To sum up you can't go wrong with either!

goingoneight
4/28/2010, 01:47 PM
Why can't we have both? I mean... we run two DTs... :D

Sooner04
4/28/2010, 01:52 PM
McCoy's performance late in the BYU game was some of the most dominating D-Line play I've ever seen by someone in crimson and cream. I think Tommie's best play at OU may have been his first (North Carolina, 2001).

Personally, I'd take McCoy. Tommie just seems to have a little bit of "punk" that shows itself from time to time (got ejected last year). I've never even sniffed that vibe with McCoy.

Both are monster D-tackles. I just think McCoy is better.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/28/2010, 01:58 PM
Ok, besides the ejection Tommie got last year what other problems has he had? I don't seem to remember any. I think he just lost his cool for a minute. It happens in football...

badger
4/28/2010, 02:02 PM
Ok, besides the ejection Tommie got last year what other problems has he had? I don't seem to remember any. I think he just lost his cool for a minute. It happens in football...

Mark Bradley's Tommie' best friend. When Lovie sent Bradley packing, Tommie was extremely upset, to the point Coach D00she suspending him. That's the only other incident that comes to mind.

You can read more about it in this thread from 2008 here. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121497)

Sooner04
4/28/2010, 02:03 PM
Link 1 (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-10-06/sports/0810050431_1_general-manager-jerry-angelo-bears-tommie-harris)

Link 2 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/279237-more-trouble-for-chicago-bears-defensive-tackle-tommie-harris)

Link 3 (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Bears-problems-go-way-beyond-Harris.html)

Sooner04
4/28/2010, 02:05 PM
Mark Bradley's Tommie' best friend. When Lovie sent Bradley packing, Tommie was extremely upset, to the point Coach D00she suspending him. That's the only other incident that comes to mind.
We're not here for milk and cookies. While I don't think Lovie is the next Lombardi I think you have to understand that feelings will be hurt from time to time when millions of dollars are on the line.

Hey. That rhymed.

CaliBornSoonerBred
4/28/2010, 02:07 PM
Tommie just seems to have a little bit of "punk" that shows itself from time to time (got ejected last year). I've never even sniffed that vibe with McCoy.

The only thing I can recall for GK getting visibly angry or anything was during the Sun Bowl after Broyles got lit up on the blown,BS call on the punt in the 4th. He got a late hit on the next play or 2nd play after the blown call and started to get in a Stanford player's face and I believe TLewis stepped in and GK calmed down and was back to his normal self on the field.

Personally, I'd take GK just because of the mental aspect he has for the game. Tommie is def the better athlete but GK uses his smarts(just like King Sam) as well as anyone in the business. But it's very hard to argue against either side. Plus, Tommie gave us the coolest SI cover I can remember!

badger
4/28/2010, 02:08 PM
Yup, the Neffel is not a feelings factory, I understand that (that's why my ex-favorite-player-of-all-time is now your team's starting quarterback, grrrrr).

However, that doesn't mean I won't express my feelings about Lovie and da bears, which are as follows:

1- Overrated ever since the lone Super Bowl appearance, which they lost.
2- Sucked ever since, holding onto diminishing returns players like Urlacher
3- Continue to suck more as they release most of their Sooner alums (Tommie's the only one left)
4- Fake Adrian Peterson is fake.

sooner94
4/28/2010, 02:42 PM
McCoy's performance late in the BYU game was some of the most dominating D-Line play I've ever seen by someone in crimson and cream.

Yep. Even in the nosebleed section at Jerry World I could see GK blowing up the middle of the BYU line.

And let's not give Harris too hard of a time. He's a great kid that does a lot for charity, and I think he and some other former Sooners in the NFL are doing a mission to South Africa in this off season. And those 2 seasons leading up to the Bear's Super Bowl trip where he was healthy, he dominated everyone. Then I think he got hurt at right at the end of the season on their Super Bowl run.

Was it a torn achilles? I think that is what it was. That's a tough injury to recover from.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 03:00 PM
McCoy's performance late in the BYU game was some of the most dominating D-Line play I've ever seen by someone in crimson and cream. I think Tommie's best play at OU may have been his first (North Carolina, 2001).

Personally, I'd take McCoy. Tommie just seems to have a little bit of "punk" that shows itself from time to time (got ejected last year). I've never even sniffed that vibe with McCoy.

Both are monster D-tackles. I just think McCoy is better.

The UNC play by Tommie has become more internet legend than anything else. He split the B-gap like that routinely.

I wasn't even refering to the NFL stuff. He was just immature, like almost every 19 year-old college kid (not named McCoy) should be expected to be.

Sooner04
4/28/2010, 04:36 PM
The UNC play by Tommie has become more internet legend than anything else. He split the B-gap like that routinely.
Well, I was there, and I was one slack-jawed 19-year-old in the west Upper Deck when it happened. So fast.

ndpruitt03
4/28/2010, 04:49 PM
My favorite from Tommie was when he rushed a QB who completes a pass then right after it ran down the receiver from behind and forces a fumble. How many DTs make a play on both the QB then the WR on the same play? I think this was against Iowa State.

sooner94
4/28/2010, 04:52 PM
I remember in the OU/Texas game (I think it was 2002) when the Horns ran a reverse to the left and Harris chased the play down to the sideline.

Salt City Sooner
4/28/2010, 05:00 PM
The only thing I can recall for GK getting visibly angry or anything was during the Sun Bowl after Broyles got lit up on the blown,BS call on the punt in the 4th. He got a late hit on the next play or 2nd play after the blown call and started to get in a Stanford player's face and I believe TLewis stepped in and GK calmed down and was back to his normal self on the field.

Personally, I'd take GK just because of the mental aspect he has for the game. Tommie is def the better athlete but GK uses his smarts(just like King Sam) as well as anyone in the business. But it's very hard to argue against either side. Plus, Tommie gave us the coolest SI cover I can remember!
Pop the tape in & you'll see the Stanford player he went after take an un-necessary late cheapie on Quentin Carter. GK was just defending his guy, but as with 90% of all scrums like that one, it was the retaliation that the refs caught, not the initial action that caused it.

bluedogok
4/28/2010, 08:49 PM
I think Tommie could benefit from a change in scenery, sometimes that is the best thing for the team and player...of course the 4 year contract he signed in 2008 means he is there until 2012 unless they trade him.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 08:49 PM
I remember in the OU/Texas game (I think it was 2002) when the Horns ran a reverse to the left and Harris chased the play down to the sideline.

Yep Roy.

PLaw
4/29/2010, 08:43 AM
really 2 different types of DTs..Tommie Harris, which was already brought out, would just disappear at times...I remember the Alabama game where he sacked the quarterback before he could even drop back and then he was nowhere to be seen..Look what McCoy did in that 4th quarter series against BYU..Harris never had a series where he just took over.. .Of course, Tommie played a lot less snaps than McCoy did with the rotating that OU has done in the past...

At the same time Harris was an amazing raw athlete...4.78 in the forty at 292 lbs..29 reps in the bench press with 5 not counted that should have been(was at that one)....

McCoy was more dominant in college...McCoy can get off of blocks better and doesn't allow a blocker to get as good of leverage on him as Harris did/does...

Harris has a better first step..

I think the question is when Harris is healthy and wants to play hard, who is the best...I think you know more of what your getting with McCoy but Harris playing with a want to and healthy is hard to beat

Excellent post, as well as the one by rawlingsHOH. Now, go back a few years and compare these guys to Lucious and LeRoy.

Yeah, I would take those four against the world.

BOOMER

Sooner04
4/29/2010, 08:54 AM
Yep Roy.
Kinda takes a little bit of the shine off that play, doesn't it? ;)

Excellent post, as well as the one by rawlingsHOH. Now, go back a few years and compare these guys to Lucious and LeRoy.

Yeah, I would take those four against the world.
I'll take Lee Roy. You can have everybody else.