PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking people in OKC

Ike
4/27/2010, 02:21 PM
So I have this walnut desk that my grandfather made from a tree he chopped down and had milled before WWII (he made the desk after he returned from the war...in addition to a lot of other things.) Anyway, while going through his old house in Tulsa to get it ready to sell, my parents came across what is perhaps the last usable piece of walnut he had. It's about 8 inches wide by 2.5ft long and 1 and 3/4 inches thick. I was thinking it would be perfect, and fill a need, to use it to construct a shelf to hang near the desk. The problem I'm having is that I'd really like it to be about half as thick for the shelf I want to make. If possible, I'd even like to cut it right through the middle and have 2 shelves just under an inch thick and make a corner mounted shelf. I just have no idea where I can take this board and have it sawed in half like that. I certainly don't have any tools that would be capable of it.

Any suggestions on where I can get this done?

olevetonahill
4/27/2010, 02:27 PM
Try yer Local Vo-tech
Or CC.

Ask em to let you do it or get the instructor to do it .
If its 1an 3/4 ya should end up with a little over 3/4 inch thick.
I know ya can do it on a 10 inch Table saw. ya just have to run it thru once then swap it around and cut it again .
Good Luck Oh and Pics .

SCOUT
4/27/2010, 02:47 PM
I have a buddy that brings cedar boards to a local sawmill and pays them a few bucks to use their horizontal bandsaw to cut them into planks. You might try a sawmill in your area.

StoopTroup
4/27/2010, 03:13 PM
If you were in Tulsa...I'd know who to at least have ya give em a call.

Good friend has a business refinishing lots of tables, desks, etc...

StoopTroup
4/27/2010, 03:17 PM
Try these guys...if they can't help you...I bet they can send you the right direction.

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=548