PDA

View Full Version : Completely novel opinion on conference dominance

Stitch Face
4/27/2010, 12:46 PM
Fascinating opinion that I've never heard mentioned by fans or sportswriters before

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/04/25/secs-draft-show-ends-best-college-football-conference-argument/?sms_ss=twitter

CU Sooner
4/27/2010, 08:03 PM
Must have an sec education to be able to count 5 sec players in the first 9 picks this year.:D

Eielson
4/27/2010, 08:12 PM
Must have an sec education to be able to count 5 sec players in the first 9 picks this year.:D

The top four were all Big XII guys. Even if 5 of 9 were true, that wouldn't be a great argument. Of course, Okung went at #6 meaning the Big XII had 5 of the top 6 picks, while the SEC only had 1 in the top 6.

o0Dan0o
4/27/2010, 09:46 PM
Also, counting draft picks should really stop after round 4 or 5 or include free agents taken after the draft.
Dan

westbrooke
4/28/2010, 11:13 AM
As flawed as his argument is, let's be fair - he said 5 of the top 9 recruiting classes, not draft picks. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see anywhere in that column where he mentions the top of the draft; that would poke a hole in his argument.

Leroyt
4/28/2010, 07:27 PM
Seems like ranking conferences by the number of draft picks is as legitimate a barometer as preseason rankings. Number of roster players 3 years in would be better. He's not an idiot, but he spends a lot of time trying to prove it. I liked this quote in the comments from a guy who said that at the top they are dominant, but as a conference, not so much...

.512 - That's the SEC's winning percentage against the other 5 BCS conferences in the BCS era. If your claim is that a .512 winning percentage is 'dominant.' You are one hell of a homer.

Oldnslo
4/29/2010, 04:20 PM
Remember before the dot.com bubble burst, and all manner of stock market pundits were exclaiming that there was a whole new paradigm, and the "new economy" would expand forever?

Same thing. Past performance isn't a guarantee of future earnings.

The SEC will have its bust, and some other conference will come to dominance. Remember how many NC's were from Big 8 teams? Wait. That conference doesn't exist anymore. How about when Harvard and Yale were the Big 2? Wasn't it just yesterday that SUC was unbeatable because of all the recruiting advantages in SoCal? Or was that in Boulder? Or Norman?

I forget.