PDA

View Full Version : Remaining recruiting battles for UT vs. OU

Herr Scholz
4/27/2010, 10:39 AM
In the 2011 class, UT already has 20 verbals which means only 3 or 4 more tops. Here are the remaining 8 with UT offers (all 8 have OU offers as well):

RB: Brown, Green
OL: Hegarty
DT: Russell, Anderson
DE: Rasco
LB: Wallace
CB: Turner

How do you see this playing out? Personally, I don't know how UT finishes. Our top 2 remaining must haves are a top RB and another top CB. We're most likely done at OL, DE and LB. I think Anderson and Wallace are definitely yours. I could see us taking a RB (don't know who - could be Sims) and a CB (hopefully Turner) and then 1 of either Russell or Hegarty (OT Doyle could grayshirt because he's hurt right now).

Thoughts?

Tigeman
4/27/2010, 02:31 PM
I would have said Brown was your all's just the other day after we signed Williams! But now I'm hearing He's a big Bama lean now from pretty credible sources. Which if he redshirts a year (doubt he'll want to) he'll be up there as one of their top guys as I think Ingram and Richardson leave early! Ingram tries next year, and Richardson the following year. Thus setting it up for Brown to be the featured back very quickly there. We know Saban is just as silver tongued as Mack.

I have a feeling Green now ends up at Nebbish.

Like you said, I'm pretty sure Anderson and Wallace are ours.

Turner is all yours.

The others, no clue!

btk108
4/27/2010, 03:03 PM
In the 2011 class, UT already has 20 verbals which means Mack will have to probably have to buy kneepads after his marathon session at the NFL Draft

Fixed

Herr Scholz
4/27/2010, 03:23 PM
I would have said Brown was your all's just the other day after we signed Williams! But now I'm hearing He's a big Bama lean now from pretty credible sources.
I heard that rumor, that some of his high school classmates were saying that. And they can certainly run the ball and they're the champs right now and Saban is a hell of a recruiter.

But then again, he hasn't scheduled a visit there as far as I can tell. Maybe he's one that goes down to the wire. I can tell you this, if UT whiffs on all the stud RBs in this year's class (Brown, Green, Williams or Sims), it will be a disaster. Some Horns are looking at Jonathan Gray in the '12 class but I get tired of that (that's what people were saying about this year's class when we skipped on Lache Seastrunk in '10 or Christine Michael in '09 or Jermie Calhoun in '08, etc...). At some point we need to get a top notch RB. Hopefully our revamped offense will change this trend.

Chris Waley has been told he needs to lose a bunch of weight this offseason if he wants to stay at RB and we don't know yet what Traylon Shead will do. Seems like this is our one recruiting weakness. Tre Newton, Fozzy Whittaker and Cody Johnson are all good players but none of them elite.

oudavid1
4/27/2010, 04:07 PM
In the 2011 class, UT already has 20 verbals

Those are 20 pretty rich kids right there, how lucky they are to get paid to play football. Not in the NFL....at Texas :)

Herr Scholz
4/27/2010, 04:13 PM
If we were paying players, don't you think we could've landed a top RB in the past 3 classes with our resources? Which is an obvious need? Common sense I know.

Tigeman
4/27/2010, 05:26 PM
I heard that rumor, that some of his high school classmates were saying that. And they can certainly run the ball and they're the champs right now and Saban is a hell of a recruiter.

But then again, he hasn't scheduled a visit there as far as I can tell. Maybe he's one that goes down to the wire.

Eh, I heard the teammate rumor too, and well... I don't put much stock into what 18 y/o teammates say... as usually they'll say anything to get some of the attn. on themselves. I won't say who, buts lets say he's an authority figure over this fine young RB! But I do agree that this one goes down to the wire!

I'm still all pissy that Barnett may be looking elsewhere now!

KiiDSooNER
4/27/2010, 05:41 PM
We aren't in it for Green anymore, and there probably isn't a chance he comes here. To much of a similar back to Roy Finch/Brennan Clay. I still see him landing at Nebraska, unless Malcolm Brown goes elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of Hegarty to be honest. He's really small and will need a lot of time to bulk up. I don't know if I'd want him to anchor our offensive line. But hey, I could be wrong about it.

If Texas is holding an offer for Russell, than he'll probably recommit. He seemed like a lock that Anderson will commit to us.

I see Rasco going to play in the SEC. I believe he'll realize the depth Texas has at DE and not consider.

Wallace also seems like an OU lock, but he's taking visits to other schools. In the end, he'll want to rejoin some of his other teammates here at OU.

Josh Turner is up in the air. He wants to play out of state, so Miami would make sense. He also wants to go to a school that produces defensive backs (Texas), but it will be hard to not stay at Oklahoma with his family & after our draft success question us. With Willie Martinez here, he really needs to make a push for him. I didn't care about Texas getting Cobbs from us last year (I think he won't be anything special), but losing out on Turner would suck.

OU44life
4/28/2010, 08:08 AM
Found this this morning.

JOSH TURNER, CB, 6’0, 185, 4.43, OKLAHOMA CITY MILLWOOD, OKLAHOMA:

"I talk to Kendal Thompson, Kameel Jackson and Austin Haywood quite a bit and I can see myself playing with those guys. They come from great schools, great programs but I really don’t know about my decision yet. It is kind of hard, because my three top one’s are Miami, Texas and OU, so it is going to come down to crunch time."

Tigeman
4/28/2010, 09:44 AM
nice find. not sure who to hate more there.but i do think he goes out of state.

OU44life
4/28/2010, 09:54 AM
thanks Tigeman.

I think id rather see him go to Miami than lose him to the Horns. I'll bet he wont venture to South Florida leaving his family unable to see him play in person though. So it really will come down to OU and Texas. Your probably right with the going out of state and that means......crap.

Tigeman
4/28/2010, 10:56 AM
iI agree with you. but for some reason he always mentions Miami

OU44life
4/28/2010, 11:03 AM
Your right he always does seem to mention Miami. Didn't he say it was his childhood team and he's always liked them? I just think he and his family will realize that it might be a burden with time and finances to try and see him play in person. Makes sense to stay home and go to school in Norman or even Austin.

Herr Scholz
4/28/2010, 03:43 PM
If Texas is holding an offer for Russell, than he'll probably recommit. He seemed like a lock that Anderson will commit to us.

Read today that after his trips, Russell has narrowed his final 3 to UT, Baylor and OSU. I think you nailed it on both of these DTs. After taking some trips (including Lincoln), I think he'll decide to stay close to home and still play for a top notch program.

iSooner
4/29/2010, 09:06 PM
Well, neither one of us will be getting Hegarty as ESPN has him having committed to Notre Dame. In addition, Herschel Sims has committed to OSU!

Tigeman
4/29/2010, 09:24 PM
Well, neither one of us will be getting Hegarty as ESPN has him having committed to Notre Dame. In addition, Herschel Sims has committed to OSU!

Yeah saw that bout sims! Had to laugh at the whorns cause they've considered him they're 2nd option if Brown falls through...assuming Green now goes to Nebbish

oudavid1
4/29/2010, 10:01 PM
Herschel Sims has committed to OSU!

Holy Sh##

Herr Scholz
4/30/2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah saw that bout sims! Had to laugh at the whorns cause they've considered him they're 2nd option if Brown falls through...assuming Green now goes to Nebbish

Yeah, we've only offered Brown and Green and were going to offer Brandon Williams and Herschel Sims if both of those fell through. Looks like we have all our eggs in one basket again.