PDA

View Full Version : Brian Jackson

outwism
4/27/2010, 01:44 AM
I'm curious and would like to poll the fans, why Brian Jackson was not drafted? Does anyone else think he was better than Franks? Did he not pull the #1 WRs in most games? Was he not a lockdown corner? I know the numbers on him say he's not as fast and Franks has more upside, but did scouts not see that he locked most WRs down!!!

yermom
4/27/2010, 01:47 AM
i was curious about this as well. we are gonna miss him

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 02:23 AM
It's probably thanks to our reputation the last few years of giving up big plays in the passing game. It's wrong, but that's my guess.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 02:32 AM
He shut down some good receivers this year, im not sure why he didnt get drafted other than his lack of top end speed maybe?

He did get picked up by the Jets FYI

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 03:15 AM
Hopefully he'll turn out to be one of those undrafted greats that somehow missed the attention of the scouts.

ouleaf
4/27/2010, 09:00 AM
I think his 40 time did hurt his chances some. He's pretty big for a corner. Franks also had the advantage of being a returner as well going for him so i think that helped his draft stock over Jackson too.

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 09:00 AM
I'm curious and would like to poll the fans, why Brian Jackson was not drafted? Does anyone else think he was better than Franks? Did he not pull the #1 WRs in most games? Was he not a lockdown corner? I know the numbers on him say he's not as fast and Franks has more upside, but did scouts not see that he locked most WRs down!!!

Only because a lot of #1 play split end and Jackson was the boundary corner. Franks was the better corner, by decent margin, though Jackson had a very good senior year. BJ's middle 1/3rd of his junior year (Texas, Kansas, KSU) was the worst corner play I saw at OU since the Blake era.

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 09:01 AM
It's probably thanks to our reputation the last few years of giving up big plays in the passing game. It's wrong, but that's my guess.
The Kansas kid going for 300 on him didn't help.

ndpruitt03
4/27/2010, 09:02 AM
I think Franks return ability helped him some. They ran similar 40 times as I recall.

My Opinion Matters
4/27/2010, 09:32 AM
No, he wasn't a shutdown corner. There's practically no such thing in a Stoops/Venables defense.

Sooner04
4/27/2010, 09:35 AM
Only because a lot of #1 play split end and Jackson was the boundary corner. Franks was the better corner, by decent margin, though Jackson had a very good senior year. BJ's middle 1/3rd of his junior year (Texas, Kansas, KSU) was the worst corner play I saw at OU since the Blake era.
Pee Wee Woods played under Bob Stoops.

gaylordfan1
4/27/2010, 09:35 AM
I think Franks return ability helped him some. They ran similar 40 times as I recall.

I don't really remember any great returns by Franks....

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 10:19 AM
Pee Wee Woods played under Bob Stoops.

Touche!

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 10:21 AM

he averaged 17 per punt return so there had to be a couple good ones in there!

Curly Bill
4/27/2010, 10:22 AM
No, he wasn't a shutdown corner. There's practically no such thing in a Stoops/Venables defense.

I don't think we ever agree politically, but football-wise this right here is the truth.

OUmillenium
4/27/2010, 10:27 AM
Nice!

How can you be a shutdown corner and give a 10 yd cushion so often?

Curly Bill
4/27/2010, 10:33 AM
Nice!

You can't. Partly why our CB's are not exactly coveted by the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 10:35 AM
The reason why he wasnt drafted is draft was flooded with parity talent wise..Its the reason Franks got a 2nd round grade and went in the 5th...Jackson talent wise was a 5th-6th round corner..not great speed...more physical than franks..

And your better off not getting drafted if your not in the first 5 rounds...BJ was able to take his time, field calls from all the teams that wanted him to come to camp, and then pick which place to go..Jackson could be a decent cover 2 corner or safety...

primetime43
4/27/2010, 10:40 AM

Me either I don't ever recall him taking one back to the house. Although he did have some solid fair catches!:)

Mad Dog Madsen
4/27/2010, 10:41 AM
I think speed is what it all came down to. He got burned a few times. How many yards did the Kansas guy have? The Jets have the best corner in the league and they drafted Kyle Wilson from Boise St. in the first round. It'll be hard for him to make the team but at least they're givin' him a shot. Probably will be a special teams player.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 10:43 AM
I don't think it will be hard for him, especially since there is a 95 percent chance he moves to safety..

Mad Dog Madsen
4/27/2010, 10:49 AM
Well, I wish him the best of luck. The Jets seem like they really wanna stop the passing game this year. They've definitely made some moves this year. Maybe that will get them over the hump. I remember when Derrick Strait got drafted by the Jets. I thought he would tear it up. Where is he now anywayz?!? I think he was playing in Canada or AFL last I heard...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 10:56 AM
Strait is done with football..When your getting cut by CFL and arena teams before the season starts, I think its all over

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 11:18 AM
Nice!

Jackson actually played a lot of press coverage, especially in 2008.

rawlingsHOH
4/27/2010, 11:20 AM
The reason why he wasnt drafted is draft was flooded with parity talent wise..Its the reason Franks got a 2nd round grade and went in the 5th...Jackson talent wise was a 5th-6th round corner..not great speed...more physical than franks..

And your better off not getting drafted if your not in the first 5 rounds...BJ was able to take his time, field calls from all the teams that wanted him to come to camp, and then pick which place to go..Jackson could be a decent cover 2 corner or safety...

Evidently one of the deepest corner drafts ever. One team said there were 35 draftable corners on their board. Said it was unprecedented. Wonder if Franks researched that?

oudavid1
4/27/2010, 11:44 AM
He was also 6-1 which is pretty tall for a corner....im gonna miss that.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 11:53 AM
Jackson could play a lot of press because of his size and strong arms..thats what has separated him from a lot of the past OU corners than many thought were better NFL prospects but werent...

Yeah Rawlings, a lot of draftable corners...plus quite a few reaches at other positions along the way...it wasn't a draft of elite corners, but lots good decent NFL potential

yermom
4/27/2010, 11:54 AM
Strait is done with football..When your getting cut by CFL and arena teams before the season starts, I think its all over

:(

what was the deal with him?

he killed for us

primetime43
4/27/2010, 12:42 PM
:(

what was the deal with him?

he killed for us

you can't run a 4.6 and make it as an NFL corner.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/27/2010, 12:51 PM
you can't run a 4.6 and make it as an NFL corner.

So... Isn't that what Brian Jackson ran???

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 01:13 PM
well if you are gonna run a 4.6, which strait's time was 4.55 I think, then you have to be a strong physical corner who can jam at the line, and use your body to make the wr go where you want him..

primetime43
4/27/2010, 01:49 PM
So... Isn't that what Brian Jackson ran???

Which is probably why he didn't get drafted.