PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Sooner player?

ashley
4/26/2010, 07:39 PM
Which one of our players that were drafted in the first round do you think was overrated?

ratherthanlater
4/26/2010, 07:49 PM
None. And you should be booed for asking. And I mean full on stomach rumbling boo not that vagi stuff kids are doing these days.

yankee
4/26/2010, 08:03 PM
all of them. they all suck and are going to have terrible and very short nfl careers.

Eielson
4/26/2010, 11:51 PM
If I had to pick, it would be Trent Williams. I wish him the best of luck, though.

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 03:19 AM
Oh hell, big things are in the future for all our drafted players and some of the undrafted ones. At least 5 players are going to have very successful NFL careers and possibly more depending on how their bodies hold up.

OUMallen
4/27/2010, 09:36 AM
If I had to pick, it would be Trent Williams. I wish him the best of luck, though.

Yeah, maybe Okung before him, but that's about it. Trent has top 10 talent.

VA Sooner
4/27/2010, 06:43 PM
None of them will be a bust. Give Trent enough grief and make him work and he'll be fine. Especially with Shanahan and McNabb chewing him out if Donovan ends up on his back over and over again like Jason Campbell did.

cheezyq
4/27/2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think ANY are "overrated". However, I do believe that Sam will struggle at first a little, simply because the team is so awful right now. I also believe that Gresham will struggle at first simply because he's not got the greatest hands and isn't the best blocker...so he won't see the field as often at first. I'm a little worried his career will be more like Alge Crumpler (not too bad, but not great) or even Rickey Dudley than Tony Gonzalez.

From my point of view, McCoy and TW are locks to make an impact from day one. I think everyone is making too much of TW's senior season and he'll be as good if not better than Okung.

Most interesting/underrated OU pick? I'm REALLY interested to see what Philly does with Keenan Clayton. He's a 'tweener that was a good idea gone mediocre at OU. I love the idea of the hybrid LB/Safety. It was a fantastic idea for a league that's gone pass-happy. I just don't like how BV used him. Which makes me interested as to what Philly sees in him and how they're going to use him. Normally I would think that he's probably special teams fodder, but they used a 4th on him, indicating they plan to use him in a meaningful way somehow.

SoonerMom2
4/27/2010, 09:12 PM
Why would any Sooner fan start a thread like this? Makes no sense -- sounds more like something coming out of OSU or Texas.

ndpruitt03
4/27/2010, 09:21 PM
Trent Williams is the only real choice. He didn't play as good as he should have. But I think there's a chance all 4 become all pros

olevetonahill
4/27/2010, 09:55 PM
Why would any Sooner fan start a thread like this? Makes no sense -- sounds more like something coming out of OSU or Texas.

Cause they :texan: trolls er just ****in stupid ?

The ones that ARE picking a Player are dumb as a sack of rocks :rolleyes:

Eielson
4/27/2010, 10:26 PM
It was a question. I'm not going to wear crimson colored glasses and say that all four of our first rounders will be all-pro their very first year. This doesn't make me a bad fan for answering. I didn't say he would be a bust. I said that out of the four, he was the most likely. I also said I hoped he did well.

pweitkem
4/28/2010, 08:20 AM
Bradford, dude sucks.

cheezyq
4/28/2010, 11:15 AM
Trent Williams is the only real choice. He didn't play as good as he should have. But I think there's a chance all 4 become all pros

I just don't get this line of thinking.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/williams_trent00.html

Trent Williams 2006 (Fresh) - Takes over RT duties after Braxton gets injured. OL play IMPROVES with him in the lineup.

Trent Williams 2007 (Soph) - Had 6 starts on an OL that was to become one of the best in OU history. Coaches raved about him that season, indicating that he could be the best lineman of the bunch.

Trent Williams 2008 (Junior) - Started every game at RT for one of the most productive lines in OU history. Was projected as a first round NFL talent, even among guys like Phil Loadholt (2nd round), Duke Robinson (5th round), and Jon Cooper (undrafted).

Trent Williams 2009 (Senior) - Started at LT most of the season before a concussion vs. OSU. Gained national and Big 12 honors. This is despite a disastrous season for OU across the entire OL. OU had 8 different players start at the remaining 4 positions, not including the 4 OU senior starters that graduated.

I can't sit there and call TW overrated in any sense of the word. His WORST season he gained Big 12 first team and All American 2nd team honors. And what was the difference between his other fantastic seasons and his "bad" season?

1.) Graduation of the 4 seniors he started the previous season with.
2.) Injuries that obliterated the remaining members of the OU offensive line to the point that backup TEs were starting at some positions. This also includes the best blocking TE on the team, who was starting at other positions on the OL.
3.) The loss of the best playmaker OU has had at TE in years.
4.) Graduation of OU's top WRs, leaving OU with an inexperienced WR crew notorious for a horrendous case of the dropsies.
5.) An injury to the #1 QB in the 2010 NFL draft.

THIS is exactly why most NFL scouts don't take numbers into account when evaluating college players. They examine the player's skills individually IN GAME SITUATIONS and rate their skills on a one-by-one basis. Trent is a top-rated talent in every sense of the word, and WILL be a very good LT in the NFL. He was CONSISTENTLY rated in the top 5 of the 2010 draft by nearly every scout or draftnik. The few who rail on TW either have zero clue, or have an axe to grind.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 11:21 AM
I can't sit there and call TW overrated in any sense of the word. His WORST season he gained Big 12 first team and All American 2nd team honors. And what was the difference between his other fantastic seasons and his "bad" season?

I can't cite All-American teams as proof of success, esepcially for offensive linemen. They simply vote on name recognition. Duke Robinson wasn't enough close to an AA player and was a two-time consensus, I believe.

Sorry for the rant...

As you were!

cheezyq
4/28/2010, 12:09 PM
I can't cite All-American teams as proof of success, esepcially for offensive linemen. They simply vote on name recognition. Duke Robinson wasn't enough close to an AA player and was a two-time consensus, I believe.

Sorry for the rant...

As you were!

I dig what you're saying. I don't doubt that at all. I'm just having a hard time with everyone labeling TW as a potential bust. Even in TW's worst season, he was still recognized nationally and at the conference level. Last year, he was a mid-first round grade by most scouts, and despite a horrendous season by the OU offensive line last year he still managed to upgrade his status into a consensus top 5 pick on nearly everyone's draft board. On an OL for a team that set the NCAA record for points scored, he was drafted highest. It's mind-boggling that people believe this guy is going to be the "bust" of this year's Sooner draftees. In fact, in order of quickest impact for an NFL team, I'd rate it this way:

Trent Williams
Gerald McCoy
Sam Bradford
Jermaine Gresham

goingoneight
4/28/2010, 01:52 PM

Sorry for the rant...

As you were!

I don't remember many people blind-siding PT or Sam Bradford... just sayin'

badger
4/28/2010, 01:58 PM
Everyone has the potential to bust. The fact that these guys went to three of the four worst teams in the NFL (yes, that's how the draft works - you go high, you go to crappy teams) they will be in difficult situations.

However, if these guys have anything going for them, it's that they already endured a difficult situation last year and will be prepared to endure potentially crappy situations in the NFL.

I worry a lot about Bradford's O-line, so despite my extreme support, admiration and love for dear Sammie, he has the biggest possibility of being labeled "overrated" by haters out there who just look at results on the field and such. I think St. Louis has a lot of losing ahead of them still, whether they start Sammie sooner or later.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 02:56 PM
I don't remember many people blind-siding PT or Sam Bradford... just sayin'

You're right Phil Loadholt was a beast! And very underrated.