PDA

View Full Version : so Denver basically

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 07:04 PM
Josh McDaniels has turned Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler into Tim Tebow, Demaryius Thomas and Brady Quinn. What a disaster. Bronco fans are so loyal, so you can only feel sorry for them.

Season Summary:
When the Broncos defeated the Patriots and sat at 5-0, Josh McDaniels looked at the media during his post-game press conference with a wry smile and said, "Looks like the people in this building were a lot smarter than everyone else." McDaniels had reason to gloat; everyone believed the Jay Cutler-Kyle Orton trade was an abomination and that Denver was doomed for a horrific season. Well, they were; we just didn't know it yet. The Broncos finished the year on a 2-8 slump, which included home losses to Oakland and Kansas City in the final three weeks. Looks like the people in that building weren't so smart, eh Josh?

I'm not going to discuss the Tebow pick because I would be a fool to doubt him. Instead, I'll berate the other first-round pick. The only reason Thomas was drafted in the first round is because he's big and can reportedly run fast. That's it. He can't run routes and he can't catch the ball consistently. The Broncos should have just gone into random gyms across America and signed every big, athletic guy who claimed to run a 4.45.

I'm also penalizing the Broncos for the 2009 Alphonso Smith selection. That was a year ago, but the decision to draft him is the reason why they didn't have two first-round picks to begin with.

I actually liked a lot of Denver's mid- and late-round choices. J.D. Walton was this class's No. 2 center. He fills a need and was a bargain in Round 3. Eric Decker might be better than Thomas. Perrish Cox is a promising corner as well.

What it comes down to though, is whether or not Denver has really improved itself via the 2010 NFL Draft. I can't say it has.

:D

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2010den.php

SoonerMom2
4/26/2010, 07:10 PM
Or to quote the analysis of the draft at by one of the draft rating sites on Tebow -- Why? Why? Why?

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 07:11 PM
the first paragraph is the best written paragraph in years. in sports.

Curly Bill
4/26/2010, 07:25 PM
So they drafted a receiver that can't catch consistently, and a quarterback that can't throw like an NFL quarterback?

Sounds about right. :D

soonerinabilene
4/26/2010, 08:39 PM
dude, they knew they were getting tebow. i for one would fear a team that is so sure of themselves because they have brady quinn, kyle orton, and knew they were getting tebow, that they traded the best wr in the league. thats pretty cocky. like kim jong il bat **** crazy cocky

Collier11
4/26/2010, 08:46 PM
Ill disagree with you on two things Jlew

1) Cutler is a worthless bum so anything they can get for him is worth it

2) Marshall is very good but he was done with Denver and sometimes its best to move on

You see that 42 ft jump shot by Lebron to go with his Triple Double, Suck on it Jlew :D

BoulderSooner79
4/26/2010, 08:57 PM
It sounds bad when you say it that way. But Cutler threw a fit when he caught wind of possible trade *talks* and refused to play for Denver anymore. Welcome to the NFL, Jay, trade talks happen all the time and no trade occurred until Jay forced it. He also proved all the picks he threw were not a problem with the system - he could throw them in the Bears system too. Marshall is a great receiver, but there is a reason he is called "baby TO". He is great on the field and toxic in the locker room and he also was constantly demanding a trade. I can't fault McDaniel too much for those.

Sheffler seemed like a good player, but not a super star. But the Tebow thing is baffling to me. If Denver really wanted Tebow, it certainly appeared they could get him *much* farther down the board. Maybe he suspected some other team was going to make the same mistake and he wanted to beat them to the punch.

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 09:13 PM
Ill disagree with you on two things Jlew

1) Cutler is a worthless bum so anything they can get for him is worth it

2) Marshall is very good but he was done with Denver and sometimes its best to move on

You see that 42 ft jump shot by Lebron to go with his Triple Double, Suck on it Jlew :D

Denver sucks, Mcdaniels sucks, Lebron sucks, the cavs suck, people who skip game 4 of lakers-thunder suck :eek:

Cutler will be better this year. He did cost the Vikings a Super Bowl. (week 17 stomping, home field, i think)

Collier11
4/26/2010, 09:40 PM
Denver does suck but you are still wrong

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 09:41 PM
Cutler + Marshall are better than any "new" combo that Denver can offer

Collier11
4/26/2010, 09:54 PM
Cutler is pathetic, horrible man. He nearly threw 30 ints this season

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 09:54 PM
In Denver he was an above average qb

why do u hate diabetics?

Collier11
4/26/2010, 10:05 PM
He threw 18 ints in 08, his record as a starting QB is 31-33 and he has never made the playoffs. He makes diabetes look bad

bluedogok
4/26/2010, 10:55 PM
Cutler is a high risk, high reward guy, the exact opposite of the "Patriots system" offense and got his feelings hurt that anyone would dare consider trading him. Cutler was exciting to watch but you didn't know which jersey he was going to throw it to most of the time, sometimes he was way too confident that he could force a ball into where he wanted. Marshall was trying to shoot his way out of town, he was a talented malcontent who needed to go. Both of them forced the teams hand to deal them.

I don't know if McDaniels is the answer, I figure it will be a year or two before anyone knows, Bowlen may get rid of him if things don't look like they are improving, he had Wade on a fairly short leash so I don't expect him to last a long time if there is no sign of improvement.

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 11:01 PM
He also threw for 4500+ yards with hardly a run game. Wake me up when any Denver qb does that. He was 8-8, and only gettting better in Denver.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 11:10 PM
he won 7, 9, and 8 games in three years. Congrats

JLEW1818
4/26/2010, 11:20 PM
He was getting better and more comfortable every year in Denver.

They got great picks for him. But they will not win a playoff game with any qb on their roster, as the starter. I promise to Jesus.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 11:29 PM
they werent winning any playoff games with Cutler, hell they werent even going to the playoffs. Id say it was a win win win

Frozen Sooner
4/26/2010, 11:42 PM
Cutler is pathetic, horrible man. He nearly threw 30 ints this season

I'm still holding out hope for an NFL rule that forces Cutler to take a sideline phone call from Philip Rivers after every INT.

Oh, yeah. Hey, sb93?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Eielson
4/26/2010, 11:50 PM
Cutler was a baby, but McDaniel was an idiot for what he did. You can say he was a genius for getting rid of him, but the reality is that he was going after Matt Cassel. The trade was probably to Denver's advantage, but I doubt it if they're going to pick people like Tebow in the first round. Cutler didn't do great at Chicago, but then again, nobody would've succeeded in that situation. He had nobody to throw to. It's not important to the Broncos how Cutler does in Chicago. That only matters to Chicago. What truly matters to the Broncos was how Cutler did in Denver. He did really well, and so they lost a lot in getting rid of him.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 11:55 PM
You just said he did really well in Denver, lol

BoulderSooner79
4/27/2010, 12:32 AM
I know a lot of Denver fans that were not very impressed with Cutler. The exciting, but erratic rookie routine wasn't playing well with the faithful after a few years. My critique of McDaniels is not with trading Cutler, but with what he did with the great draft picks he got in the trade. He still needs a QB.

soonerboomer93
4/27/2010, 10:13 AM
I'm still holding out hope for an NFL rule that forces Cutler to take a sideline phone call from Philip Rivers after every INT.

Oh, yeah. Hey, sb93?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what, you didn't get my text of pain from the bar as soon as that pick occured?

Actually, I beleive the order was stunned when I saw him put on the hat, drained the beer, requested another one, sent text.

soonerboomer93
4/27/2010, 10:34 AM
I know a lot of Denver fans that were not very impressed with Cutler. The exciting, but erratic rookie routine wasn't playing well with the faithful after a few years. My critique of McDaniels is not with trading Cutler, but with what he did with the great draft picks he got in the trade. He still needs a QB.

Erratic QB has been the way starting with Griese, then Plummer and then to Cutler. Orton was atleast more stable.

Moreno was a good choice in the first round last year, and will hopefully bring some stability.

JLEW1818
4/27/2010, 01:04 PM
I thought he was only getting better in Denver.

NormanPride
4/27/2010, 01:17 PM
Better at what, being crazy? He's Brett Favre without the cute folksy attitude or winning.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 02:16 PM
you think to much Jlew

stoops the eternal pimp
4/27/2010, 03:06 PM
Jay Cutler was way overrated at Denver...

Scott D
4/27/2010, 03:19 PM
Jay Cutler was way overrated at Denver...

most players are.

badger
4/27/2010, 04:26 PM
Denver fans are loyal - I remember that the USFL team had a lot of ex-Broncos to bring butts to seats - but since there's SB 32 to remember, screw em.

The fanbase I feel sorry for is Cleveland. Those guys were so fiercely loyal to a departing franchise that even the NFL sympathized with them enough to give them a new incarnation of their beloved Browns - and then the old incarntaion goes and wins the Super Bowl?!?! Oh man, it'd be like the Nawlins Saints leaving Nawlins instead of rebuilding the Super Dome, then wherever the Saints end up this season, going and winning it all. Could you imagine how much that city would be bawling then?!

Anyways, screw the Broncos. If you gotta feel sorry for anyone, send your sympathies to Cleveland.

VA Sooner
4/27/2010, 06:33 PM
Lots of bold moves by McDaniels. Makes me believe it was more to get rid of a few "problem children" that were questioning his ability to coach during that mid- to late-season slide.

I too will wonder but can't say too much... I don't get paid millions to coach (yet!!!).

Hope the gamble was worth it.

Jacie
4/27/2010, 06:40 PM
IMO, the guy is staking his future as a head coach at any level above junior high on Tebow. If Timmy does not make it as an NFL QB, McDaniels will out at Denver and probably become a career assistant coach.

JLEW1818
4/27/2010, 07:01 PM
regardless. He has booted Cutler and Marshall

and now has Tebow and Demaryius Thomas

are yall saying that is better?

don't even think Cutler 2009. I'm talking about what he did in 2008-2009. He made the ProBowl, for w/e that is worth. Him going to Chicago was a disaster.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 07:39 PM
addition by subtraction Jlew, Orton had a better yr last yr than Cutler

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:46 PM
You just said he did really well in Denver, lol

The guy threw for over 4500 yards. That was the third highest in the league, and barely behind second. All this while adjusting to diabetes.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 07:48 PM
So throwing for a ton of yards and having nearly 30 ints is a good season, gotcha

He is horrible, pathetic. He has never been a winner and I doubt he ever will be because he is selfish.

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:48 PM
addition by subtraction Jlew, Orton had a better yr last yr than Cutler

Orton is screwed next year without Marshall.

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:51 PM
So throwing for a ton of yards and having nearly 30 ints is a good season, gotcha

18 interceptions isn't that close to 30.

JLEW1818
25td
18int
4526 passing yards

27TD
12INT
4002 passing yards (MVP of NFL)

Collier11
we will see, Orton has a better career record than Cutler

Collier11
4/27/2010, 07:53 PM
25td
18int
4526 passing yards

27TD
12INT
4002 passing yards (MVP of NFL)

One is a winning player who makes smart plays and doesnt get his team beat with bad decisions, the other is not.

JLEW1818
4/27/2010, 07:55 PM
One is a winning player who makes smart plays and doesnt get his team beat with bad decisions, the other is not.

oh i agree with that, I'm all about "Winning" as you know.

I just think Cutler had a better future in Denver, than anybody they bring in.

Eielson
4/27/2010, 07:59 PM
Denver's defense gave up 124 less points last year than the year before. With those 124 points, I'm sure Cutler would've lead the Broncos to the playoffs.

bluedogok
4/27/2010, 10:27 PM
regardless. He has booted Cutler and Marshall
Marshall pulled a Manny Ramirez, he was trying to shoot his way out of town. He is a complete head case and needed to go somewhere because it wasn't working in Denver. I think he needed a new place, hell of a talent but a box of rocks for brains.

Orton is screwed next year without Marshall.
Yeah but if Marshall was going to pout all season on the sidelines and do stuff to get suspended, he might not have been throwing to him much anyway.

Denver's defense gave up 124 less points last year than the year before. With those 124 points, I'm sure Cutler would've lead the Broncos to the playoffs.
The Denver defense also didn't have to defend as many short fields since Cutler wasn't there to throw the ball to the wrong team all the time. One does feed the other.

I don't think McDaniels is the answer, he is Wade Phillips, the guy after the guy.

BoulderSooner79
4/27/2010, 11:35 PM
oh i agree with that, I'm all about "Winning" as you know.

I just think Cutler had a better future in Denver, than anybody they bring in.

That's a non sequitur - Cutler refused to play in Denver and thus had no future there. McDaniels didn't kick him out, he was upset Shanahan got canned and upset about a potential trade that didn't materialize. He took the ball and went home and it worked out for him (contract wise). Personally, I don't think Cutler would have been the guy to elevate the Broncos out of their perennial 8-8 funk, but we'll never know. Marshall was a bigger star, but even a bigger problem. I can't fault McDaniels for moving forward without the cry babies. But the biggest draft pick he had this year for the Cutler trade bought him Tebow which doesn't appear to be big value for a 1st round pick.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 11:37 PM
Its funny Jlew that you bitch and moan about AI being a me first player (atleast he was great) yet you defend dbl chin doosher Cutler when he is an average at best 'me first player'