PDA

View Full Version : How long before Sam starts?

stoopified
4/26/2010, 10:26 AM
It would seem clear to all but certain media dipsh*ts that St. Louis has every intention of letting Sam become the starter s a rookie.The question is when does Sam earn that spot?

IMHO Sam with his intelligence and work ethic will emerge as the starter by the end of training camp, at the very latest by mid preseason.

Follow-up questions include ,how good an NFL qb will Sam be?Personally I hoping at least Aikman level,ailtough I would love to see Elway type sucess for Sam.Ok I do realize that hoping Sam is Elway-esque is a reach BUT I am a huge Sooner homer.

Another question is how long will it take for Sam to become the best all-time OU NFL qb.Do not be misled I am not asking how long it tkes to surpass Aikman,who I regard as purely UCLA product.Near as I can determine with my research, Indian Jack Jacobs is the all-time OU NFL qb with 27 TD passes and 3200+yards.I think Sam can pass that at some point in his second seson.

How good will Sam be?I have no idea but choose to believe based on Sam's potential ,both physical and mentally that he will not only be a starter but a star.

NormanPride
4/26/2010, 10:32 AM
I think first year he throws more TDs than Peyton and takes his team deep into the playoffs. But I think I'm much more of a pessimist than you. :D

KantoSooner
4/26/2010, 10:37 AM
How about game six, regular season. I don't think they throw him to the wolves early....and they didn't draft any line that I could see.

You think they intend to pick up free agents or trade for linemen?

StoopTroup
4/26/2010, 10:43 AM
St. Louis is on the way Home from Cinncinati BTW. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

OU v Cinncinati Sept. 25th, 2010

St. Louis v Washington Sept 26th, 2010

YWIA

ST

http://www.stlouisrams.com/splash/

soonerspudman
4/26/2010, 10:44 AM
I think Troy Aikman won like 1 game his first year with the Cowboys. Don't kid yourself, this will be a long process. "Great" quarterbacks achieved greatness partly becuase of what they did, but also largely by the talent around them, guys like Aikman and Elway were surrounded by some outstanding offensive players.

Sam will take his lumps the first couple of years, partly from being new and partly becuase the Rams suck right now. Longer term his success will be very much influenced by how well the Rams build.

Aries
4/26/2010, 11:05 AM
The Rams drafted an OT in the second round.

Saffold, Rodger RT 6-4 316 Indiana

I predict Sam will not be the starter opening day, but will be starting before the season is over. Game 5 or 6 sounds about right.

KantoSooner
4/26/2010, 11:41 AM
my bad. Thanks

rawlingsHOH
4/26/2010, 11:58 AM
Baring injuries and whatnot... I'll predict game #10 vs Atlanta will be his first start.

soonerinabilene
4/26/2010, 12:18 PM
i say let aj feely get the snot knocked out of him while the oline gels together. i think st louis will start sam after they see that line knows what they are doing.

BigTime1
4/26/2010, 01:39 PM
He ll start day 1 you dont spend that kind of money and draft first round devolopment players... especially number 1 picks...those dont exist they go on day 2 and 3. First rounders are drafted and expected to make an immediate impact. End of Story.

StoopTroup
4/26/2010, 01:54 PM
After Pre-season. You'll know.

More than likely he's gonna be "The Man".

BoulderSooner79
4/26/2010, 02:01 PM
Tradition would have him start around mid-season when it is clear the Rams will not make the playoffs. But didn't Manning start right away? I think it's been done before and it will be hard for the owner to watch a player with $50mil guaranteed sitting on the bench. The Rams have been a decent running team, so a combo of heavy running and a short passing game could prevent Sam from taking a beating during the learning process.

yankee
4/26/2010, 03:02 PM
sam is the number 1 pick, and that's what the fans are going to come to see. keith null and a.j. feely as the other QB's on the roster? that's not a whole lot of competition. didn't joe flacco, matt ryan and mark sanchez all start within the first game or two of their rookie seasons? coaches and fans are going to look at the success those 3 have had and envision the same success with sam. i'll be shocked if he isn't the starter in week 1.

rawlingsHOH
4/26/2010, 03:03 PM
He ll start day 1 you dont spend that kind of money and draft first round devolopment players... especially number 1 picks...those dont exist they go on day 2 and 3. First rounders are drafted and expected to make an immediate impact. End of Story.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. lol

I don't think Carson Palmer took a single snap his rookie year. Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, all played sparingly. And those were all #1 overall picks.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 03:05 PM
Id like to see Feeley start for the first several games atleast so Sam can get as comfortable as possible but I dont know if the Rams will do that

AlbqSooner
4/26/2010, 07:33 PM
Peyton Manning started as a rookie. He was somewhat suckish until about 2/3 through the season then came on. When a reporter asked him what made the difference, he said, "The game slowed down." I look for something similar with Sam. I hope that is the case. He is a good kid who deserves everything he has worked so hard for.

Curly Bill
4/26/2010, 07:35 PM
When's the first game scheduled for?

stoopified
4/26/2010, 07:36 PM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. lol

I don't think Carson Palmer took a single snap his rookie year. Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, all played sparingly. And those were all #1 overall picks.
I suggest YOU are the one not letting facts interfere with a rant. While it is true Carson Palmer did not take a snap as a rookie he was behind a veteran QB(John Kitna) who threw for3600 yrds -26TDs and 15 picks.Makes me wonder WTF they were thinking drafting Paimer at #1.Eli Manning Had 7 starts as a rookie going 95-197 6TDs and 9 ints. Alex Smith had 7 starts was 84-165 6Tds-11ints.Russell?Yeah he didn't play,mainly because he was a colossal draft mistake,one the Raiders finally seem to be giving up on this year.Matt Ryan #3 pick in the first,started all year,VY also a #3 pick started 13 games as a rookie,184-357 12TDs,13 ints.Matt Stafford #1 last year started all year for the Lions .

It is a historical fact that if you are a high draft pick QB you will get every chance to start as a rookie unless 1) You are behind a proven QB or 2) You are not NFL ready(Russell,Vick).Vick btw played in 8 games starting 2 was 50-113 2TDs,3ints.Check your facts.

The fact that Sam is THE #1 pick and a QB does pretty much guarantee big bucks AND early snaps,especially in light of St. Louis dropping last year's starter in Bolger. BTW when I compared my hopes for Bradford to Aikman and Elway,I meant career-wise not rookie-wise.I am under no illusions that starting as a rookie will be a highlight reel for Sam.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 07:57 PM
I suggest YOU are the one not letting facts interfere with a rant. While it is true Carson Palmer did not take a snap as a rookie he was behind a veteran QB who threw for3600 yrds -26TDs and 15 picks.Makes me wonder WTF they were thinking drafting Paimer at #1.Eli Manning Had 7 starts as a rookie going 95-197 6TDs and 9 ints. Alex Smith had 7 starts was 84-165 6Tds-11ints.Russell?Yeah he didn't play,mainly because he was a colossal draft mistake,one the Raiders finally seem to be giving up on this year.Matt Ryan #3 pick in the first,started all year,VY also a #3 pick started 13 games as a rookie,184-357 12TDs,13 ints.Matt Stafford #1 last year started all year for the Lions .

It is a historical fact that if you are a high draft pick QB you will get every chance to start as a rookie unless 1) You are behind a proven QB or 2) You are not NFL ready(Russell,Vick).Vick btw played in 8 games starting 2 was 50-113 2TDs,3ints.Check your facts.

The fact that Sam is THE #1 pick and a QB does pretty much guarantee big bucks AND early snaps,especially in light of St. Louis dropping last year's starter in Bolger. BTW when I compared my hopes for Bradford to Aikman and Elway,I meant career-wise not rookie-wise.I am under no illusions that starting as a rookie will be a highlight reel for Sam.

This, I would still like to see it happen later in the year as opposed to game 1. That way if the sorry azz Rams are 0-5 he doesnt start to feel all the weight of the entire franchise

stoopified
4/26/2010, 08:26 PM
AJ Feeley who is the competition at QB is has 4,000 career passes 27 TDs ,29TDs.Not exatly sparkling career numbers for a guy who has been in the NFL about 7 years or so.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 08:39 PM
vet though

stoopified
4/26/2010, 10:29 PM
vet thoughTrue but ifthey WANTED aveteran QB as a starter I think they would have kept Bulger.The only way Sam doesn't start as a rookie is if he simply isn't ready.IMHO believe rookie Sam will be an upgrade overAJ.I thinkAJ was brought in to be a mentor and backup and Bulger was sent packing because he wanted to BE the qb.

Bulgar's career stats include a 62% career completion rate,almost 23,000 yards with 122TDs -93 ints.

Collier11
4/26/2010, 10:38 PM
I think Sam is an upgrade no doubt, they didnt keep Bulger cus of what he is making.

I just know that the pressure in the NFL to win is intense and as the #1 pick, no one will remember that they went 1-15 last year, they will only say that Bradford is failing if they start off badly

stoopified
9/4/2010, 05:47 PM
It would seem clear to all but certain media dipsh*ts that St. Louis has every intention of letting Sam become the starter s a rookie.The question is when does Sam earn that spot?

IMHO Sam with his intelligence and work ethic will emerge as the starter by the end of training camp, at the very latest by mid preseason.

Follow-up questions include ,how good an NFL qb will Sam be?Personally I hoping at least Aikman level,ailtough I would love to see Elway type sucess for Sam.Ok I do realize that hoping Sam is Elway-esque is a reach BUT I am a huge Sooner homer.

Another question is how long will it take for Sam to become the best all-time OU NFL qb.Do not be misled I am not asking how long it tkes to surpass Aikman,who I regard as purely UCLA product.Near as I can determine with my research Indian Jack Jacobs is the all-time OU NFL qb with 27 TD passes.I think Sam can pass that at some point in his second seson.

How good will Sam be?I have no idea but choose to believe pased on Sam's potential both physical and mentally that he will not only be a starter but a star.Dug this thread just so I can say,I told ya so. :D

Aries
9/4/2010, 11:32 PM
Dug this thread just so I can say,I told ya so. :D

Indeed you did. :) I am not at all disappointed to be wrong.

stoopified
1/8/2011, 06:32 AM
Apparently even I underestimated Sam.As I reread this thread it becomes clear that Sam surpassed the skeptics expectations but my rather lofty goals too.Sam arguably did have a highlight reel rookie season and one of the best first years inNFL history.

swardboy
1/8/2011, 06:43 AM
Indeed. The perfect storm brewed for Sam and St. Louis this year. Feeley hurt a pinky in preseason and Sam was the Man. The line kept him from getting killed, though he did take some hard knocks late in the season. Mark Clayton came to town, learned the playbook in two days, and schooled all the other receivers. Although it was supremely tough to watch, the O scheme was pretty much possession receiving which gave Sam a lot of completions, and low int's. He took EVERY SNAP OF THE SEASON!

At the end, Sam stood in no one's shadow as to rookie performance.

bluedogok
1/8/2011, 09:54 AM
The Rams seem to have had that issue with QB's, Trent Green was the starter for the 1999 season and was injured in preseason (knee injury). They had to replace him with an unheralded, vagabond QB named Kurt Warner....I think we all know how that ended up.

85sooners
1/8/2011, 10:14 AM
:pop: