PDA

View Full Version : What does it take for someone to run for President?

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2010, 04:25 PM
Don't you have to be 35 years old at least?
I suppose you don't necessarily have to be American Born...J/K.

But seriously, what does it take for one to run for president?

JLEW1818
4/25/2010, 04:27 PM

and some cash for the most part.

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2010, 04:30 PM
Well, I am broke...I think I can speak well for the people....Start my own political party...National Party of Plumber Joe!

LOL

Seriously, everyone here, from NickZep to Phil would be able to do more for this country than Obama and company!

tulsaoilerfan
4/25/2010, 04:36 PM

and some cash for the most part.

35, born in the US, and a **** load of cash; can't imagine why anyone would want that job and all the stress that comes with it

JLEW1818
4/25/2010, 04:50 PM
we could all throw in money together. and pick a soonerfan member to run.

i think LAS would be perfect.

John Kochtoston
4/25/2010, 04:53 PM
Here 'tis, from Article 2, Section 1

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Fun fact: The clause regarding natural birth is thought by some to be a thinly-veiled bar against an Alexander Hamilton presidency, since he was born in the West Indies.

bluedogok
4/25/2010, 05:15 PM
35, born in the US, and a **** load of cash; can't imagine why anyone would want that job and all the stress that comes with it

You don't personally have to have a **** load of cash, just people backing you with a **** load of cash. A big party machine behind you is pretty much more important.

Frozen Sooner
4/25/2010, 05:16 PM

"No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Fun fact: The clause regarding natural birth is thought by some to be a thinly-veiled bar against an Alexander Hamilton presidency, since he was born in the West Indies.

Jeez, you sneak something in just to screw with someone and it spawns a whole movement of idiots.

AlbqSooner
4/25/2010, 05:17 PM
A high school teacher taught Article 2 Section 1 to his class one day. Next day he gave a pop quiz on it. One student waxed prosaic about how unfair that was. After all, what possible difference could it make if your mom had a C-section.:D

olevetonahill
4/25/2010, 05:23 PM

wait a Minute here folks
Barry pretty dayum young , has he lived here in Merica 14 years ?:D

John Kochtoston
4/25/2010, 06:16 PM
Jeez, you sneak something in just to screw with someone and it spawns a whole movement of idiots.

You ain't lyin'. I mean, one little phrase permitting full-court defense, and we get Hustler and crush videos.

Stitch Face
4/25/2010, 06:32 PM
Only the most well-rounded and elite leaders can become president. It takes a rare combination of stellar education with impeccable marks, honorable and successful military service, extensive business experience, a history of successive legislative positions with a record of many successfully promulgated laws, ironclad moral standing...

*thinks back on the last few presidents*

Holy ****! Nevermind...

Collier11
4/27/2010, 04:12 AM
Well, I am broke...I think I can speak well for the people....Start my own political party...National Party of Plumber Joe!

LOL

Seriously, everyone here, from NickZep to Phil would be able to do more for this country than Obama and company!

Hell, you spend more time arguing with your own ppl than anyone, you wouldnt make it :D

Collier11
4/27/2010, 04:15 AM
we could all throw in money together. and pick a soonerfan member to run.

i think LAS would be perfect.

Well one good thing is that he wouldnt need the Secret Service, only a spotter :D

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 04:16 AM
Hell, anyone can run. Even Alice Cooper conducted a write in campaign back in '72 I think.

Collier11
4/27/2010, 04:18 AM
Seriously, everyone here, from NickZep to Phil would be able to do more for this country

Cant you be banned for posting drunk :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
4/27/2010, 04:23 AM
No kidding...Zep could turn this country into a fascist version of Haiti within a year.

King Barry's Back
4/27/2010, 05:02 AM

I call bull-**** on that. Mr Hamilton would be covered by this clause: "or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution."

King Barry's Back
4/27/2010, 05:07 AM
Don't you have to be 35 years old at least?
I suppose you don't necessarily have to be American Born...J/K.

But seriously, what does it take for one to run for president?

To run, you have to be 35 and born American. That's pretty much it. ANYBODY can run, if they were born here and can wait to 35.

But the intent of your question may have more to do with, "What to you need to HAVE A CHANCE OF WINNING."

That is a much different discussion.

NOTE on Birthers: I have been waiting, And Waiting, AND WAITING; for somebody to make this freaking point. Finally i will have to make it myself.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE ARE BORN, ONLY IF YOU ARE BORN A CITIZEN. SINCE MR OBAMA'S MOTHER WAS A CITIZEN, HE WAS BORN A CITIZEN.

END OF STORY, Birthers.

Frozen Sooner
4/27/2010, 09:21 AM
To run, you have to be 35 and born American. That's pretty much it. ANYBODY can run, if they were born here and can wait to 35.

But the intent of your question may have more to do with, "What to you need to HAVE A CHANCE OF WINNING."

That is a much different discussion.

NOTE on Birthers: I have been waiting, And Waiting, AND WAITING; for somebody to make this freaking point. Finally i will have to make it myself.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE ARE BORN, ONLY IF YOU ARE BORN A CITIZEN. SINCE MR OBAMA'S MOTHER WAS A CITIZEN, HE WAS BORN A CITIZEN.

END OF STORY, Birthers.

At the time he was born, if you were born outside the US and its territories it had to be both parents.

Which doesn't matter, since last I checked Hawaii was part of the US when he was born.

1890MilesToNorman
4/27/2010, 09:24 AM
A high school teacher taught Article 2 Section 1 to his class one day. Next day he gave a pop quiz on it. One student waxed prosaic about how unfair that was. After all, what possible difference could it make if your mom had a C-section.:D

LMAO Albqq. :D

StoopTroup
4/27/2010, 09:31 AM
OK...we know what the requirements are but what are your chances of getting your name on the ballot in all 50 states?

If there is a problem in America....that's the one I think really hurts the chances of winning thing.

John Kochtoston
4/27/2010, 11:00 AM
I call bull-**** on that. Mr Hamilton would be covered by this clause: "or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution."

Yeah, most people agree with you, as do I. I'm just pointing out one theory as to why that's there. It might have been a slap at Hamilton, but just one saying "we think you suck so hard, that we don't want your type in office." Hamilton was an insufferable prick, who torpedoed John Adams' reelection bid (Adams and Hamilton were both Federalists). Ultimately, Aaron Burr decided Hamilton's eligibility for president.

John Kochtoston
4/27/2010, 11:47 AM
Another theory is it originally appeared without the clause about Citizen at the time of the Adoption of the Constitution, and the Federalists had it changed in debate.

StoopTroup
4/27/2010, 02:05 PM
This thread is beginning to disappoint me a bit.