PDA

View Full Version : Trent Williams

Monkster
4/23/2010, 12:27 PM
Redskins fan here...we will be glad we passed on Russell Okung, right? And do you think he can play LT as a rook in the NFL?

Thanks!

Collier11
4/23/2010, 12:29 PM
He is extremely athletic, the only worries ive ever heard is that he takes plays off but im sure Shanahan can motivate him. He played LT in college when needed and played it well

goingoneight
4/23/2010, 12:31 PM
Very versatile all-around lineman. Best suited for the right side.

Spanish Sooner
4/23/2010, 12:37 PM
Played Center in the sun bowl, and did a really good job in my opinion. Also quick, 4.88, also has good lateral movement, good for the zone blocking scheme that the Skins will probably have. Can play left, can play right tackle, can play center, I bet he could probably play guard too, so I'm sure they will find a place for him if tackle doesn't pan out, but I think he has the skills with proper motivation to pull it off.

Monkster
4/23/2010, 01:02 PM

That is a problem then, we would never spend a #4 on a RT...all our qbs are righties.

Crucifax Autumn
4/23/2010, 01:16 PM
As I understand it, his footwork is what got him drafted so high and it's particularly well-suited for their blocking schemes.

olevetonahill
4/23/2010, 01:21 PM
"SilverBack" will be jes fine at LT:cool:

Mad Dog Madsen
4/23/2010, 01:26 PM
He'll do a great job. I say a he'll be a pro bowler in 2-3 yrs...

My Opinion Matters
4/23/2010, 01:27 PM

Although he had more success at OU in the right side I do believe he is a better fit at the pro level on the left side. I don't think he's enough of a mauler to be a RT at the pro level. If he doesn't pan out at LT, I could see him being to guard.

sooner94
4/23/2010, 01:31 PM
Trent Williams and Loadholt played together for 2 years. Loadholt was LT and Trent was RT.

Loadholt was a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I think round 2) and was moved to RT. Usually O-linemen drafted high in round 1 are LT's.

Seems like Trent should have been playing LT based what the pro scouts think.

Am I crazy here?

Monkster
4/23/2010, 01:37 PM
He definitely fits the faster athletic profile needed in a ZBS, and Okung looks so stiff in his films. But Trent only put up 23 bench presses at the Combine (Okung did 38) so he has a lot of work to do. Having him play anywhere else than LT is a bust for us, although there is talk we are trying to trade the Saints for Jamaal Brown to give Silverback time to beef up. However, you have to wonder if that interrupts all the LT learning process at OU and Brown will be mucho expensive so spending a 4th on him in that context is another ouch.

And thank you for all the feedback.

BTW, it is so damned cool that he and Malcolm Kelly have been on the same team since Longview Sr. High! Woot!

Monkster
4/23/2010, 01:41 PM
Trent Williams and Loadholt played together for 2 years. Loadholt was LT and Trent was RT.

Loadholt was a 2nd or 3rd round pick (I think round 2) and was moved to RT. Usually O-linemen drafted high in round 1 are LT's.

Am I crazy here?

You aren't crazy, it is a combination of two factors that has me asking: first, I administer the redskins board on Scout.com and some of our most incisive posters think he isn't ready for the left, and second, the Brown rumors have some fire besides the smoke, so that signals Shanahan Pere and Fils have their doubts about his readiness in his rook year.

sooner94
4/23/2010, 01:42 PM
This is now the third year in a row the Skins have taken a guy from Longview HS. They picked a guy last year from Longview named Robert Henson. He was a sixth rounder- not sure if he's with the team.

sooner94
4/23/2010, 01:46 PM
You aren't crazy, it is a combination of two factors that has me asking: first, I administer the redskins board on Scout.com and some of our most incisive posters think he isn't ready for the left, and second, the Brown rumors have some fire besides the smoke, so that signals Shanahan Pere and Fils have their doubts about his readiness in his rook year.

Well, I will say this. Back when we had arguably the best O-line in the country in 2007 and 2008 (at least 2008), the coaches said Trent usually graded out the best of all the linemen.

So you are getting a heck of player. And Shanny likes the ZBS, so that will be a good fit.

Monkster
4/23/2010, 01:57 PM
Well, I will say this. Back when we had arguably the best O-line in the country in 2007 and 2008 (at least 2008), the coaches said Trent usually graded out the best of all the linemen.

So you are getting a heck of player. And Shanny likes the ZBS, so that will be a good fit.

Yes, he is still with us and didn't realize that. I wonder if they went to Foster Jr High too....I had a room mate in college, Sarah, who taught me their alma mater and it would be fun to make them feel at home the first day of training camp by warbling: "Hail, Jr High School, teachers, classmates too..."

:pop: (lol, I am female so if this post seems swishy, it's not really.)

John Kochtoston
4/23/2010, 02:42 PM
As an OU fan, I am thrilled for Trent Williams, and will gladly ask him for a loan. :D

As a Washington fan, I think this was an overreach. Trent did not do well on the left side this year, and you don't spend an No. 4 on a right tackle (which I think he could excel at).

He does have the athletic ability to play the backside, more so than a lot of starting LTs. If he can get the technique and mental part down, he could be a really, really good LT.

Still, even if that happens, I think the Redskins could have traded down to the 7-10 range and picked him up there. I don't think anyone else had Williams as high as Okung on their board. A team with only four picks should take any opportunity to get more, IMHO. I don't know if a viable offer was on the table, though.

In the end, worst case scenario, the Redskins used a No. 4 on a starting RT who can play inside if need be. Not ideal, to be sure, but there have certainly been worse draft picks. I mean, the Redskins could have used their first-rounder on an H-back and team chaplain.

Monkster
4/23/2010, 03:03 PM
As an OU fan, I am thrilled for Trent Williams, and will gladly ask him for a loan. :D

As a Washington fan, I think this was an overreach. Trent did not do well on the left side this year, and you don't spend an No. 4 on a right tackle (which I think he could excel at).

He does have the athletic ability to play the backside, more so than a lot of starting LTs. If he can get the technique and mental part down, he could be a really, really good LT.

Still, even if that happens, I think the Redskins could have traded down to the 7-10 range and picked him up there. I don't think anyone else had Williams as high as Okung on their board. A team with only four picks should take any opportunity to get more, IMHO. I don't know if a viable offer was on the table, though.

In the end, worst case scenario, the Redskins used a No. 4 on a starting RT who can play inside if need be. Not ideal, to be sure, but there have certainly been worse draft picks. I mean, the Redskins could have used their first-rounder on an H-back and team chaplain.

We wanted and tried to trade down; there were no takers. Dono still has something left in his tank but he needs his blind side guaranteed and we are all still bereft Chris Samuels had to retire. Btw, he is a coach intern and had a lot of input in this decision, so he obviously thinks Trent can do it.

John Kochtoston
4/23/2010, 03:45 PM
We wanted and tried to trade down; there were no takers. Dono still has something left in his tank but he needs his blind side guaranteed and we are all still bereft Chris Samuels had to retire. Btw, he is a coach intern and had a lot of input in this decision, so he obviously thinks Trent can do it.

Oh, I think Trent CAN do it, in that it's within the realm of reasonable possibility. And, I like that this pick seems to reflect long-term thinking, instead of a win-now mentality that is absurd for a team that is not primed for a Super bowl run. But I don't know that Trent will be ready in the amount of time McNabb has left.

SoonerNate
4/23/2010, 03:56 PM
As a Skins fan, I wanted Okung but Trent surprised me.

NormanPride
4/23/2010, 04:05 PM
Trent knows the schemes already and fits them well.

PLaw
4/23/2010, 05:03 PM
Redskins fan here...we will be glad we passed on Russell Okung, right? And do you think he can play LT as a rook in the NFL?

Thanks!

Here is a nice recap on Trent from Wiki:

The lone holdover from the 2008 offensive line, Williams was listed at No. 2 on Rivals.com′s 2009 preseason offensive tackle power ranking.[6] He was also named to the 2009 Outland Trophy watch list.[7] Despite missing the regular season finale due to injury, Williams led Oklahoma with 102 knockdown blocks and 885 plays, and was named an All-American by the American Football Coaches Association.[8]

Monkster
4/23/2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, I think Trent CAN do it, in that it's within the realm of reasonable possibility. And, I like that this pick seems to reflect long-term thinking, instead of a win-now mentality that is absurd for a team that is not primed for a Super bowl run. But I don't know that Trent will be ready in the amount of time McNabb has left.

We know we are rebuilding, but you don't rebuild anything except reconstructive surgery for your qb unless you protect him in the here and now. I am optimistic about Trent but our O-line has been neglected for years by an incompetent front office that didn't think linemen were "sexy" enough picks.

John Kochtoston
4/23/2010, 07:20 PM
We know we are rebuilding, but you don't rebuild anything except reconstructive surgery for your qb unless you protect him in the here and now. I am optimistic about Trent but our O-line has been neglected for years by an incompetent front office that didn't think linemen were "sexy" enough picks.

Oh, I know. I'm a Redskins fan. But, like I say, the 'Skins aren't ready for a deep run (though, if the rumored trade for Jaamal Brown come through, things start to look a bit brighter). And, Trent gives you a long-term starter on that line that can play a bunch of positions. Get some more beef around him, and the 'Skins are in business.

OU_Sooners75
4/23/2010, 08:49 PM
He definitely fits the faster athletic profile needed in a ZBS, and Okung looks so stiff in his films. But Trent only put up 23 bench presses at the Combine (Okung did 38) so he has a lot of work to do. Having him play anywhere else than LT is a bust for us, although there is talk we are trying to trade the Saints for Jamaal Brown to give Silverback time to beef up. However, you have to wonder if that interrupts all the LT learning process at OU and Brown will be mucho expensive so spending a 4th on him in that context is another ouch.

And thank you for all the feedback.

BTW, it is so damned cool that he and Malcolm Kelly have been on the same team since Longview Sr. High! Woot!

Do not let the reps unnerve you.

To play left tackle, you have to have a very good first step, agility, speed, and good size. Trent Williams has all of it.

If he was going to be playing RT and was a little weak, I would be worried a little...even though the strength issue may be an issue, but it does not determine how good the player will be.

rawlingsHOH
4/23/2010, 08:52 PM
That is a problem then, we would never spend a #4 on a RT...all our qbs are righties.

he's a LT all the way. not a mauler RT

Monkster
4/23/2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, the Jamaal Brown trade is looking more real with the Saints taking Charles Brown. But if that is done Brown will be the LT and we spent a 4th on an RT AND will undo the progress Trent made at OU in his last season. Rabach sucks so bad that if Heyer and Williams weren't so iffy, it would be great for him to play C rather than RT.

OU_Sooners75
4/23/2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, the Jamaal Brown trade is looking more real with the Saints taking Charles Brown. But if that is done Brown will be the LT and we spent a 4th on an RT AND will undo the progress Trent made at OU in his last season. Rabach sucks so bad that if Heyer and Williams weren't so iffy, it would be great for him to play C rather than RT.

The Brown deal is not a guarantee. Williams may not be the quick fix, but he will be the long term fix at LT.

Dont worry. I am not a Skins fan...but they got a damn good olineman in Williams...he is very versatile.

Even if they do get Brown, He only has a few more good years at LT...Williams will end up there.

People were saying the same thing about Loadholt..."we dont know if he can be a good LT in the pros because he is slow."

Well, he did a damn good job last year.

That said, dont worry Monkster. Williams will be a LT in the Pros.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2010, 09:25 PM
Loadholt is a right tackle, but did get better in moving his feet.. He struggled at some reserve play at lt but that could be expected

cheezyq
4/23/2010, 11:07 PM

Am I crazy here?

A lot of people were down on Trent after last year, saying he's more fit for RT because of last year's production (or lack of). Those people are also forgetting the constant turnstile that the OL was last year. I imagine the scouts are right and see him for what he is, a VERY talented and athletic tackle that will do just fine at LT in the NFL.

Remember, too, even in 2008 with Loadholt and Duke, scouts and the OU coaches were saying that Trent was the best lineman on that legendary line. His draft status proves it.

GKeeper316
4/23/2010, 11:11 PM

he may have graded high, but according to all the coaches ive ever talked to or heard on radio or tv, brody eldridge was the best lineman ever to come through norman under stoops and is the only lineman to ever score a perfect 100 in a game.

rawlingsHOH
4/23/2010, 11:20 PM

If I had Trent, I'd play Jammal Brown at RT. Ironically that's all he played at OU.

Monkster
4/24/2010, 10:15 AM
If I had Trent, I'd play Jammal Brown at RT. Ironically that's all he played at OU.

There you go, that done, it would remove the pain of using a 4th pick on anything but our most serious need at LT.

And sure I know J Brown is not a done deal...just reading the tea leaves, Saints take Charles Brown; we take Perry Riley, LSU ILB, and Rocky MacIntosh has been one of the main names mentioned that Gregg Williams wants in any trade.

PalmBeachSooner
4/24/2010, 06:19 PM
So if Shanahan and company don't feel he is ready then why did they draft him?

Soonerfan88
4/24/2010, 06:34 PM
Although he didn't miss games & get as much pub as the others, Trent was also part of the playing wounded OU had last year. I think it was a bum ankle & that will certainly make a difference at LT. Yes, draft busts happen all the time, but I think that if Shanahan wasn't positive about Trent, he would have gone with Okung.

Trent at LT and Jammal at RT would be a great thing to have.

Monkster
4/25/2010, 07:20 AM
So if Shanahan and company don't feel he is ready then why did they draft him?

Blind trust v informed trust, which do you prefer? He drafted Maurice Clarett and traded for Courtney Brown too, you know. Most people on our board are inherently curious and try to delve deeper than jingos like Trust in Shanahan.

spatton713
4/25/2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks!

PER ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...draft-analysis

Riskiest move

You'll think I'm crazy (as usual), but the Redskins choosing Oklahoma left tackle Trent Williams No. 4 overall is one of the riskiest moves of the draft. I agree that he has tremendous potential, but he's not a finished product at left tackle. Oklahoma State's Russell Okung would have been a no-brainer starter at left tackle from Day 1. Williams has more versatility and he's a better fit in the Redskins' zone-blocking scheme, but it's wrong to suggest that he's anywhere close to the "safest" pick in the top-10. If you want to know why I'm a little skeptical, go back and
watch the OU-BYU game on tape. Sam Bradford remembers what I'm talking about.

Monkster
4/25/2010, 12:19 PM
PER ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/ta...draft-analysis

Riskiest move

You'll think I'm crazy (as usual), but the Redskins choosing Oklahoma left tackle Trent Williams No. 4 overall is one of the riskiest moves of the draft. I agree that he has tremendous potential, but he's not a finished product at left tackle. Oklahoma State's Russell Okung would have been a no-brainer starter at left tackle from Day 1. Williams has more versatility and he's a better fit in the Redskins' zone-blocking scheme, but it's wrong to suggest that he's anywhere close to the "safest" pick in the top-10. If you want to know why I'm a little skeptical, go back and
watch the OU-BYU game on tape. Sam Bradford remembers what I'm talking about.

I watched that last night...how was Trent supposed to block three blitzers. Poor read of the defensive scheme by Bradford, whom I assume had the authority to audible himself out of a line stacked and ready for a sack.

prrriiide
4/25/2010, 05:39 PM

Am I crazy here?

Trent played RT because we had Load on the left. IIRC, LT has always been Trent's natural position, and he was very happy to move back to it after OU un-Loaded.

I just hate that he has to play for Snyder.

Monkster
4/25/2010, 05:54 PM
All Snyder will do is generously open his check book. Shanahan and Allen have complete control of the team. Dan didn't come to the Combine, mini-camp, nor was in the draft war room. The new front office pros signed on under the proviso that he bug out. They won't even let him show off our three Lombardis at press conferences. It's great.

It's also better than working for a guy who substitutes wearing seran wrap on his two faces replacing the need for cheap cosmetic surgery and who didn't have enough nut sac to fire Tom Landry to his face.

OU_Sooners75
4/25/2010, 06:06 PM
All Snyder will do is generously open his check book. Shanahan and Allen have complete control of the team. Dan didn't come to the Combine, mini-camp, nor was in the draft war room. The new front office pros signed on under the proviso that he bug out. They won't even let him show off our three Lombardis at press conferences. It's great.

It's also better than working for a guy who substitutes wearing seran wrap on his two faces replacing the need for cheap cosmetic surgery and who didn't have enough nut sac to fire Tom Landry to his face.

LOL :pop:

bluedogok
4/25/2010, 08:15 PM
Dan Snyder is worse than Jerruh....just like when he got tired of losing doing things his way he went out and got Parcells. Once the team is doing better he thinks he knows enough to "run things" again. Snyder is going through the same thing, we will all see how long Allen & Shanahan put up with the corporate raider.

Monkster
4/25/2010, 10:19 PM
Dan Snyder is worse than Jerruh....just like when he got tired of losing doing things his way he went out and got Parcells. Once the team is doing better he thinks he knows enough to "run things" again. Snyder is going through the same thing, we will all see how long Allen & Shanahan put up with the corporate raider.

That's what Miss Cleo predicts? Fyi, Dan is tired of being a national joke and has butted out...he butts back in and Shanahan and Allen will not go quietly into the night. They have three years and if they don't produce a quality team by then, well Dan has every right to fire them. Until then, he is nothing but a big fat coin purse and your conjecture is uninformed.

And if my memory serves correctly, Parcells picked an awful lot of the players who got them into the playoffs the last few years. Jerruh lets Sean Payton get away in favor hanging his Arkansas hat on Bum's Boy. Love it when things like that happen.

bluedogok
4/25/2010, 10:40 PM
That's what Miss Cleo predicts? Fyi, Dan is tired of being a national joke and has butted out...he butts back in and Shanahan and Allen will not go quietly into the night. They have three years and if they don't produce a quality team by then, well Dan has every right to fire them. Until then, he is nothing but a big fat coin purse and your conjecture is uninformed.
That is what most owners should be, including Jerruh. Most of the successful franchises through the history of the league have had owners thinking they are GM's like both Jones and Snyder have tried to be...and I am just seeing the possible ending. Guys like Jones and Snyder don't like being anything less than the dominant personality in the room, let alone their own businesses.

And if my memory serves correctly, Parcells picked an awful lot of the players who got them into the playoffs the last few years. Jerruh lets Sean Payton get away in favor hanging his Arkansas hat on Bum's Boy. Love it when things like that happen.Parcells is the only reason why they are a decent team now, losing Payton probably hurt the most but it isn't like he could fire Parcells to hire Payton at that time. Parcells just left a year too late to hold onto Payton, Wade was hired in 2007 after Payton was hired by the Saints in 2006. The whole reason behind naming Garrett a "head coach in waiting" was to try and avoid him getting taken off the staff like Payton was. I haven't seen anything from him to warrant giving him the job or even the designation.

Curly Bill
4/25/2010, 10:45 PM
As a Cowboys fan, I'm all for someone taking Garrett off their hands.

Monkster
4/26/2010, 07:36 AM
That is what most owners should be, including Jerruh. Most of the successful franchises through the history of the league have had owners thinking they are GM's like both Jones and Snyder have tried to be...and I am just seeing the possible ending. Guys like Jones and Snyder don't like being anything less than the dominant personality in the room, let alone their own businesses.

Parcells is the only reason why they are a decent team now, losing Payton probably hurt the most but it isn't like he could fire Parcells to hire Payton at that time. Parcells just left a year too late to hold onto Payton, Wade was hired in 2007 after Payton was hired by the Saints in 2006. The whole reason behind naming Garrett a "head coach in waiting" was to try and avoid him getting taken off the staff like Payton was. I haven't seen anything from him to warrant giving him the job or even the designation.

Snyder didn't make a billion by the time he was thirty by being irredeemably stupid, and that massive ego you acknowledge prefers to stop being Jay Leno's punchline to being the dominant personality in the room and have a shot at winning.

Aside from having inside info on how this is working internally, I can name you five major events where he either didn't show or sat in the audience (including the hiring introduction of Shanahan, all done by Allen). How does that fit with your room domination imperative? The divas who used to go directly to Dan have been rebuffed and sent to Allen or Coach. Your assuming that Snyder can't change is based on zero present information and a good dose of wishful thinking.

Here is another example: Dan wanted Bradford, badly....any other year his numbnuts racquet ball partner Vin Ceratto would have given away the family jewels to get him. Look who didn't gut us to draft Sam.

Whatever, if it gets you through the night that Snyder will prevent the team from improving, go right ahead and enjoy it while you can. :P

And damn that Doug Free will be such a STUD!!!!!:pop:

prrriiide
4/26/2010, 01:39 PM
Monk, I just think most of us are adopting a wait and see attitude. If what you say is accurate, then perhaps the 'Skins will actually be able to turn it around w/Shanahan. But since leopards rarely change their spots, I think Snyder has earned the healthy skepticism you see.

I mean, really. if someone on a message board told you that Jerruh or Al had, after years of behavior to the contrary, suddenly handed the operational reins over to the GM and coach and was stepping back, would you believe it?

Not saying it can't or won't happen. But for me, I'll believe it when I see it. That's all.

bluedogok
4/26/2010, 11:09 PM
Your assuming that Snyder can't change is based on zero present information and a good dose of wishful thinking.
No, it comes from years of dealing with those types of personalities and seeing how little "change" actually occurs over time. Some who do "change" don't stay that way for long before they go back to what they know.

He is beat down right now because his "management style" hasn't worked, at least he recognizes a change needed to occur which is more than you can say about Al Davis. What many of these highly successful business people don't understand is that even though the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business it runs differently than most businesses do and they come in seeming to think they can win by force by sheer force of will, most of the time it fails miserably.

As priiide stated, I am just as skeptical of Snyder's "change" as I was of Jerry Jones change when he hired Parcells based on past experience both through personal experience and observing others. If ten years down the line he is acting more like a Rooney than a Davis or Jones, then I will have misjudged him...but history shows that will more than likely not be the case.

Monkster
4/27/2010, 10:11 AM
No, it comes from years of dealing with those types of personalities and seeing how little "change" actually occurs over time. Some who do "change" don't stay that way for long before they go back to what they know.

He is beat down right now because his "management style" hasn't worked, at least he recognizes a change needed to occur which is more than you can say about Al Davis. What many of these highly successful business people don't understand is that even though the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business it runs differently than most businesses do and they come in seeming to think they can win by force by sheer force of will, most of the time it fails miserably.

As priiide stated, I am just as skeptical of Snyder's "change" as I was of Jerry Jones change when he hired Parcells based on past experience both through personal experience and observing others. If ten years down the line he is acting more like a Rooney than a Davis or Jones, then I will have misjudged him...but history shows that will more than likely not be the case.

Sure we wait and see, I am just telling you there are LARGE pieces of existing evidence. Hell. He HIRED A GM, fer the Saviors' sake and fired Goiter Ceratto! How many years have the fan base begged for that?

And whoever thought Bidwell could change into a good NFL owner, and whoever thought Pat Bowlan would turn into a bad one? It can happen and all info we have shows it is well underway in DC. I am not concluding we are golden for the long term, but I am optimistic, but neither should you conclude on the basis of hackneyed phrases like a leopard doesn't change his spots that it's a forgone conclusion that he won't let ShanAllen room the team as they see fit.

Herr Scholz
4/27/2010, 10:23 AM
Didn't the OU S&C coach Schmidt question his work ethic? Or am I dreaming that?

Salt City Sooner
4/27/2010, 11:38 AM
You're not dreaming it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/27/oklahoma-coach-praises-trent-williams-talent-not-his-work-ethic/

Monkster
4/27/2010, 12:58 PM
You're not dreaming it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/27/oklahoma-coach-praises-trent-williams-talent-not-his-work-ethic/

Thanks Herr and Salt, for bringing this back on topic. He has the rep of only playing hard against good competition.

In the NFL where anyone can beat you plus a little tough love, it is hopefully a good bet that he can find some more lasting motivation. And he has now officially become a Gym Rat Hostage. lol

OK2U
4/27/2010, 04:06 PM
Washington Post:

Sooners strength coach Jerry Schmidt confirmed that No. 4 overall pick Trent Williams was not the hardest worker at Oklahoma.
"He's definitely not a gym rat," said Schmidt. "If he was, there wouldn't be anyone even close to him ... if he really committed himself. There's a lot of talent there that he just hasn't tapped." Williams didn't test especially well in strength drills at the Combine. "It's on him," Schmidt added, "how hard he wants to play, how much he puts into it, how good he wants to be." Apr. 27 - 8:30 am et

MojoRisen
4/27/2010, 04:20 PM
Schmidt should tone it down a bit/

Curly Bill
4/27/2010, 06:25 PM
Schmidt should tone it down a bit/

He's just mad Trent didn't get hurt on his watch. :D

VA Sooner
4/27/2010, 06:30 PM
Good to see Trent Williams drafted high but will need to work to keep up to his potential. He's very talented, very athletic... will just need Shanahan's "gentle" touch to keep him motivated.

Pro-Bowler in 2 years.

Soonerfan88
4/27/2010, 07:57 PM
If TW is butt hurt about what Schmidt says, then maybe he should have worked a little bit harder in the weight room. The only reason anyone even asked about TW's work ethic is because of the puny effort he made on the bench press. A little more effort and no one would ever say a word. However, I think TW knows he's in the NFL, on another level now, and will pull it all together in Washington.

And if you read the whole thing, Schmidt said TW could be the best there ever was if he tried. That isn't a comment by someone out to tear a guy down.

rawlingsHOH
4/28/2010, 10:18 AM
If TW is butt hurt about what Schmidt says, then maybe he should have worked a little bit harder in the weight room. The only reason anyone even asked about TW's work ethic is because of the puny effort he made on the bench press. A little more effort and no one would ever say a word. However, I think TW knows he's in the NFL, on another level now, and will pull it all together in Washington.

And if you read the whole thing, Schmidt said TW could be the best there ever was if he tried. That isn't a comment by someone out to tear a guy down.
No crap.

That is the ONLY thing that 225 lb test is good for, to measure the kid's effort in the weight room. Probably the only reason they do it. Light weight, high endurance, bench training has ZERO correlation to football.

Mad Dog Madsen
5/11/2010, 01:41 PM
Trent has been working with the starters...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/08/AR2010050803177.html

cheezyq
5/12/2010, 12:32 PM
He's just mad Trent didn't get hurt on his watch. :D

LOL - Motto for the workout room..."If you ain't injured, you ain't tryin'"

DakotaSooner
5/12/2010, 09:51 PM
He'll do a great job. I say a he'll be a pro bowler in 2-3 yrs...

I don't think he has a chance in hell to do that.

JLEW1818
5/12/2010, 09:54 PM
ha, he will be super bowl mvp in 2-3 years

cheezyq
5/13/2010, 10:25 AM
I don't think he has a chance in hell to do that.

Interesting opinion. Wonder what it's based on, because all the NFL scouting talent had him in the top 5 of the draft...and as we all know, you NEVER expect a top 5 draft pick to turn into a pro-bowler. No chance in hell? Really?

:rolleyes: