PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Thoughts

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2010, 09:57 AM
I had posted a while back that this would be a heavily traded 1st round and it was....I would have to say I got more right than wrong this year which is always nice

My stats may be a little wrong, but the league average for sacks given up by a team last year was around 33 or 34....the Rams gave up 45 which wasn't the worst but put them in the bottom tier...Detroit and Suh, Tampa and McCoy are perfect matches..Love the Eric Berry pick for KC...

I like the 1st 6 picks....Okung and T. Williams can virtually be swapped with each other, even though I would give a slight edge to Okung..I think Seattle was surprised that Russell O fell to them

I was surprised some that Cleveland went Haden with number 7, but that team needs a lot of everything....probably most drafts, he is a 15-20 pick..

I've already voiced my displeasure and surprise of the 8th pick..Not saying he isn't a good player but not top 10 IMO..and not what the Raiders need the most...But again, its the Raiders

I like Spiller at 9..A player who can do a little of everything..KR, PR, WR, RB...good value for the Bills

Jacksonville's pick was the 2nd reach of this top 10...Tyson Alualu from Cal..good player, not great...probably a 25-30 type pick most drafts

If your a 49ers fan, you should be excited with SF's first round....Davis at Tackle and Iupati at Guard....great job by SF....2 guys that have good work ethics and could make a difference right away

Ryan Matthews....5'11 223 lb rb who can run with power and speed...I had said the Texans were interested heavily in him, so the only trade the chargers could move up ahead of houston was with Miami, who really didn't have anybody they wanted that early....lets see if he makes me look smart or he goes all tavaris jackson and makes me look like a fool

Brandon Graham just fits Philly...strong nasty snot nosed backer who is a good pass rusher..Great pick for the Eagles.

Earl Thomas at 14...Seattle definitely needed the help at safety...this pick doesn't really excite me except me could play corner some

JPP at 15 I stated last night could be the first pro bowler of this group...if your a NY fan, he is worth being excited about..best pass rusher IMO

Derrick Morgan at 16 is a good replacement for Kyle Banden Bosch....more athletic than JPP, not as good technique..too much bull rushing

18 pick the center for Pitt...Pure geniuses of the draft typically, its hard to ever be negative about a Steeler pick..

I don't like the 19th pick with the Falcons picking WItherspoon...vastly overrated player IMO....workout warrior but disappeared a lot during games....

20th pick for Texans I thought was good...Surprised they didn't go Kyle Wilson, but Jackson is a bit more raw talent....more upside....good hips, good speed...I think he is an adequate replacement for Dunte..

21st pick...Bengals were hoping Chase Coffman would be their pass catching TE, but injuries his rookie year took him out...Gresham at 21 means they'll expect him to come in and be an impact right away...I think he can improve his run blocking so he can be on the field more for them..

22nd pick was really a surprise...Denver didn't push Brandon Marshall out the door to pick up another WR who has flags like Bryant.....Thomas is raw coming out of the GT offense, but he has good hands, and can definitely block outside.

23..Bryan Bulaga is gonna be a contributor right away for GB...GB gave up 50 sacks last year...Great pick

24...Called this one for a while...Jerry Jones wasn't gonna let Bryant slip his fingers and made a move to move up a few spots to grab him...

25..Tim Tebow....What is Denver doing? Denver is already placing a wild cat package together for Tebow. I heard last night that Denver wanted to install that package into their o and who better than Tebow to run it..especially a guy who you could manage to use to throw out of it some..you don't use a 1st round pick on a quarterback who isn't gonna be your every down player though...silly move

26. good pick for the Cards...the Dolphins wanted him, namely jennifer lopez for some reason....

27. NE....Good value pick..good corner, KR, PR, and is a great special teamer...not the best at any position, but darn good at all of em

28.. Jared Odrick to miami..needed a DT especially with Ferguson serving an 8 game suspension for the dope..

29 The Jets Defensive backfield is gonna be very impressive to say the least...Kyle Wilson is the most fundamentaly sound corner in this draft...

30 Detroit needed a big play threat behind Stafford and they got one..hopefully Best can stay healthy...probably would have been top 10 if not for the injuries

31 Jerry Hughes from TCU going to Indy, I'll be interested to see where they line him up...Good pass rusher to go along side Mathis and Freeney

32 Patrick Robinson to the saints...very bluh pick in my opinion..

janderson255
4/23/2010, 10:08 AM
I thought it was a good first round, escpecially for OU. There was one thing that I though was a little disturbing.... I am by no means taking away from the draft. This just raised my eyebrows. Pouncey from FL. When his name was called, that woman that was all over him....he looked like a thug.... then the dude on the other side of him was trying to give him a "high-five" or a hug or something and ended kissing him on the lips..??? Am I wrong or is that what I saw... it was disturbing...?

GottaHavePride
4/23/2010, 10:14 AM
Um, I didn't watch that part, but I'm going to go with "that woman" was probably his mom. And "the dude" was probably a brother or something. Some families do a hug and a kiss as a habit, regardless of gender. You get excited, you miss your target. It happens.

janderson255
4/23/2010, 10:36 AM
no she was white and young. anyway... <<<breathe>>> <<<breathe>>> okay, back to the draft. Doesnt it feel good to be a Sooner! You couldnt help but tear up when Gerald got drafted. I worked with his Dad here at Tinker AFB and remember when his mom passed away and how emotional he was as well as his dad when he got his opportunity to play at OU. His dad was sooo proud of him. It just makes me happy to see a truely good kid get his dreams.

ouleaf
4/23/2010, 10:39 AM
1st Round went pretty much as expected I'd say. Was a little surprised in the Raiders going for McClain, thought they would have gone OL or QB. McClain will help with their Run D though.

Think the Chargers did a good job in jumping up and grabbing Matthews. I think they kid is gonna be a stud.

Awesome 1st round for the 49ers. Got some serious O-Line help to add to Joe Staley.

Really surprised Bills went with Spiller. Seems like they need way more help on O-Line or QB. People expect him to be the next Chris Johnson, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

Good pickups for G'Bay and Cincy. Both are immediate impact guys.

Kinda surprised Cowboys didn't address Safety or O-line issues, but I guess all of the top O-Line prospects were gone by then. I think it was a good gamble by Jerry though. Potential top 10 talent at the 24th pick and didn't give up a whole lot to move up 3 spots. You won't have to pay him as much and he can make impact in the return game as well.

Still can't for the life of me understand the Tebow pick when you already have Orton and Quinn out there. Plus the Broncos gave up a 2nd, 3rd, and 4 Rd picks to the Ravens to get back in the 1st Round to take him? Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.

Love the jets picking Wilson. Now they have Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson. Yikes.

Mississippi Sooner
4/23/2010, 10:48 AM
I'm a Raiders fan (I know, I know, but I've been a fan since the Madden days), and I wasn't that disappointed with their first round selection. What I really feared, once Williams and Okung were off the board, was that they'd fall back on Al's favorite trick of taking yet another defensive back or receiver simply because they could run really fast. Oakland desperately needs some run stoppers, so I don't think it's a horrible pick for that reason.

SoonerLB
4/23/2010, 10:53 AM
I was a little surprised at Dallas taking Bryant, but oh well, we will see. The Denver taking Tebow thing was a bit of a shock, even though I had heard some talking heads mention that possibility in the past week. Worst pick in the entire round IMHO, bar none!
But my favorite thing about the first round was that the weasel known as Jimmy Clausen went into freefall, BWAAAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! If only they had shown the Clausen family draft party for the icing on the cake! :D

GottaHavePride
4/23/2010, 10:55 AM
Dallas took Bryant because - if he turns into a great receiver - then they've got a marketing gold mine on their hands with a "local boy".

stoops the eternal pimp
4/23/2010, 11:08 AM
Dallas took Bryant because Jerry jones is still haunted he let Randy moss get past him because he was high risk..those around him say it's almost a weekly thing for jj to bring it up in conversation.. It's also why he has taken chances on some other troubled players (pacman, tank)

badger
4/23/2010, 11:22 AM
I mentioned to NP before the draft that I didn't think Jimmy Clausen would get drafted in the first round and he looked at me like I was a little blond chick that never played football

(well, you DID, NormanPride)

Then, after Teebz goes to Denver, I giggle that my prediction might actually come true, but then the Vikings are on the clock and I think for a second that they're looking for a Favre backup... and no, they didn't take him either.

I am not a Neffel k-***** a-******, but everytime I looked at Jimmy I was thinking back to all those failures at Notre Dame... all that losing his freshman year, the coach getting fired his final year, that it was actually new that ND went to a bowl his sophomore year...

More importantly - that haircut! and that goofy face! is THIS the guy you want to be the face of your franchise?

Anyway, just wanted to brag to you all - quarterbacks that lead teams need to be cute so that girls want to buy posters of them and guys have man-crushes on them.

Therefore, Jimmy Clausen falls to round 2 or later.

It's so simple!

primetime43
4/23/2010, 11:26 AM
Dallas took Bryant because Jerry jones is still haunted he let Randy moss get past him because he was high risk..those around him say it's almost a weekly thing for jj to bring it up in conversation.. It's also why he has taken chances on some other troubled players (pacman, tank)

My thoughts exactly.

Collier11
4/23/2010, 11:28 AM
Alot of teams did very well for themselves, im really excited for the OU guys and extremely pumped that my Chiefs got Eric Berry, now im hoping for Golden Tate in rd 2

KantoSooner
4/23/2010, 11:29 AM
Okay recruiting types: does OU's success in placing players in prominent positions in the NFL draft help us land high school recruits?
<I was out of the US with no good sports page coverage for 20 years, so I really haven't followed recruiting too closely - educate me>

rawlingsHOH
4/23/2010, 11:33 AM
21st pick...Bengals were hoping Chase Coffman would be their pass catching TE, but injuries his rookie year took him out...Gresham at 21 means they'll expect him to come in and be an impact right away...I think he can improve his run blocking so he can be on the field more for them..
He'll be a fine blocker.

And Coffman... I never once saw him in a 3pt stance at Mizzou.

rawlingsHOH
4/23/2010, 11:36 AM
I like the 1st 6 picks....Okung and T. Williams can virtually be swapped with each other, even though I would give a slight edge to Okung..I think Seattle was surprised that Russell O fell to them

I would have NEVER believed it, if in December some one would have told me Trent Williams would be the #4 pick of the draft.

Absolutely shocked.

Though he probably sealed his fate with a 4.8 40 in Indy.

OK2U
I thought it was a good first round, escpecially for OU. There was one thing that I though was a little disturbing.... I am by no means taking away from the draft. This just raised my eyebrows. Pouncey from FL. When his name was called, that woman that was all over him....he looked like a thug.... then the dude on the other side of him was trying to give him a "high-five" or a hug or something and ended kissing him on the lips..??? Am I wrong or is that what I saw... it was disturbing...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIT8C5YJx-k

Collier11
Okay recruiting types: does OU's success in placing players in prominent positions in the NFL draft help us land high school recruits?
<I was out of the US with no good sports page coverage for 20 years, so I really haven't followed recruiting too closely - educate me>

Anytime you have 3 of the first 4 picks and 4 first rounders overall, it can only help. Im not sure of the total impact but if it changes the mind of one big time recruit that is enough

Players want to go to the NFL and compete for championships and we offer both oppurtunities

ouleaf
4/23/2010, 11:38 AM

It can't hurt. It's definitely a nice selling point to have when you are going after a guy.

rawlingsHOH
4/23/2010, 12:01 PM

I think it is huge. There was a reason Miami got its rep as NFL U, and continually got great kids to go there. It certainly had nothing to do with the facilities!

KantoSooner
4/23/2010, 12:14 PM
That's my common sense viewpoint. But sometimes my common sense is at variance with objective reality.....

OULenexaman
4/23/2010, 12:17 PM
guess I'm not the only one that thinks Clausen is and looks like a sissy assed goof ball...

NormanPride
4/23/2010, 12:52 PM
He'll be a fine blocker.

And Coffman... I never once saw him in a 3pt stance at Mizzou.

Coffman was the biggest sucker pick that year.

I was and still am shocked at drafting Tebow in the first round. If you're Denver, why do you take him there? They traded down to get him, but they could have easily traded up in the second round, or just risked it. Was anyone really going to take him before their second round pick? I don't care how much you run the wildcat with Tebow, if he's not playing every down or close to it, you shouldn't be wasting a first round pick on him.

SoonerLB
4/23/2010, 01:03 PM
guess I'm not the only one that thinks Clausen is and looks like a sissy assed goof ball...

I like the way you think! :D

Sooner in Tampa
4/23/2010, 01:04 PM
Prisco thinks McDaniels just sealed his fate in Denver

Denver Broncos (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DEN/denverbroncos) coach Josh McDaniels should enjoy the next year or two in Denver. Really. Soak all of it in. Enjoy being a head coach. Enjoy making all the decisions.

Your days are numbered.
When you trade away Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, the key components in the Broncos passing game in a year span, and then draft Tim Tebow (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114680?tag=pageRow;pageContainer) in the first round of the draft, you are sending a loud message.

Talent doesn't matter.

Character does.

Why not pick the altar boys from the parish down the street? Aren't they good kids? Or maybe you can pick all the "A" students in this draft? .....

Tebow is raw. He doesn't understand the passing game. He doesn't read defenses.

Oh, but he's a good kid.

At least he'll save the locker room.

Really? If you aren't playing, character doesn't matter. The NFL is a cruel business. His rah-rah crap doesn't matter. They won't listen. They won't stand for it.

Crying after losses?

Yeah, right.

Does he work hard? Yes.

Does he want to be good? Yes.

But the skills aren't there. He isn't close to being as good as Jimmy Clausen. Too bad for Jimmy he doesn't have the character Tebow has, at least that's what they say.

The Broncos reached big time for Tebow. But look at the bright side: At least he won't be running the streets.

And Josh McDaniels will lose his job in a year or two over this one and his other moves over the past year.

badger
4/23/2010, 01:28 PM
VY discovered early on that the NFL is not a fraternity. It's not a brotherhood. It's a cutthroat business.

Tebow essentially stole the roster spot of a marginal player trying to make the NFL minimum to feed his family. The only reason money matters in the NFL is because it's job security for players that might suck. Tebow gets first round money, he's not gonna get cut because of the huge signing bonus. An NFL vet who is struggling to make a roster is not going to get the same benefit of the doubt.

As such, even if the Wonderlic eff you prayer boy story is fake, I agree with the above post that players will not take kindly to the saintly Tebow, even if he is a nice guy, even if he is a cheerleader, even if he prays hourly for us all. He stole a roster spot!

... and stealing is against the seventh commandment. ;)

KantoSooner
4/23/2010, 01:34 PM
If they drafted Tebag to run the wildcat then I really laugh:

A) When he comes in you kind of know what's coming
B) He won't be able to throw against NFL backers and DBs
C) So, he'll be left with the run....at which game he is a perfectly serviceable fullback.

so why not draft a perfectly serviceable fullback in, say, the fifth round and get someone with some kind of utility to your team in the first round ..... or at least sell the pick for piles of lower picks and/or yankee green back dollars?

I used to like Denver when Elway played there. Recently, there's just been a quiet aroma of 'loser' about the whole organization.