SicEmBaylor
4/22/2010, 08:57 PM
I wish you would fall into a well.

soonerloyal
4/22/2010, 09:18 PM
Pssst. The South lost. Pass it on...

royalfan5
4/22/2010, 09:25 PM
I always feel so left out since none of my family was here to take part in the Civil War. But we did fight on both sides of the Franco-Prussian War if that counts.

sooneron
4/22/2010, 09:34 PM
I always feel so left out since none of my family was here to take part in the Civil War. But we did fight on both sides of the Franco-Prussian War if that counts.

Well, your war sounds cooler, does that count?

royalfan5
4/22/2010, 09:37 PM
Well, your war sounds cooler, does that count?
I'll take it I guess.

Jacie
4/22/2010, 09:41 PM
The KA's at OU used to have a Civil War-looking cannon in front of their house when it was over on Boyd Street, I think. Anyway, late one evening the members of my frat, which btw originated at the U. of Virginia in 1869 so it is also an organization started in the South, walked over there and despite being way too loud for a "mission" borrowed said cannon and rolled it back to our frat at south College St. Once we had it no one quite knew what to do with it. Eventually we chained it to a car parked in front of the AXO sorority across the street. Norman police were soon called to come get it.

That's all I got on KA's . . .

A Sooner in Texas
4/22/2010, 09:47 PM
The KA's at OU used to have a Civil War-looking cannon in front of their house when it was over on Boyd Street, I think. Anyway, late one evening the members of my frat, which btw originated at the U. of Virginia in 1869 so it is also an organization started in the South, walked over there and despite being way too loud for a "mission" borrowed said cannon and rolled it back to our frat at south College St. Once we had it no one quite knew what to do with it. Eventually we chained it to a car parked in front of the AXO sorority across the street. Norman police were soon called to come get it.

That's all I got on KA's . . .

AEKDB, man.

and no, I'm not an alum, but my dad is and I was a Starduster (women's auxiliary) for our college chapter. It was literally Animal House there. Good times.

Half a Hundred
4/22/2010, 09:56 PM
AEKDB, man.

and no, I'm not an alum, but my dad is and I was a Starduster (women's auxiliary) for our college chapter. It was literally Animal House there. Good times.

Ditto. A to B brother.

delhalew
4/22/2010, 10:03 PM
History and culture is racist? People are so sensitive, they deserve to be uncomfortable.

SoonerJack
4/22/2010, 10:37 PM
History and culture is racist? People are so sensitive, they deserve to be uncomfortable.

You might have a different view if the shackle was on the other foot.

Just sayin'

delhalew
4/22/2010, 10:49 PM
You might have a different view if the shackle was on the other foot.

Just sayin'

They are talking about civil war uniforms. For **** sake people. Any Confederate ties I have are pretty indirect, but if that were my past or my culture (even though it is all of ours to some degree), I would not appreciate being told I would to pretend it never happened. I know a great many southern black folk who would no sooner ask somebody to ignore their Confederate past, than they would disregard there own roots in slavery.

Moral of the story...people still suck.

JohnnyMack
4/22/2010, 11:07 PM
My relatives were poor white trash who fought fer the Confederacy. Didn't own no slaves seein' as they couldn't afford nuthin' like that. That's really all I've got.

Frozen Sooner
4/22/2010, 11:09 PM
Still, a large Confederate national flag covers the front of its house on campus.

Yup. Drive by it every day on my way to and from the law school.

Leroy Lizard
4/22/2010, 11:25 PM
So when are U.S. Cavalry uniforms going to be considered negative images and banned?

Signed,

Sitting Bull

tommieharris91
4/22/2010, 11:52 PM
Carl Albert was an alumnus of that house at OU.

TUSooner
4/23/2010, 10:21 AM

Oh yeah?! Well I had kin folk die on both sides in the Civil War, WWI, and WWII.

That important fact aside, I'm fed up with all the race-based whining in our country. The old-skool KAs are dully insensitive and bass-ackwards while the Black student groups are hypersensitive and hypocritical.
I propose that, forever hereafter, NOBODY can assert ANY kind of racial pride unless they they can prove that they chose their parents.

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 12:07 PM
I propose that, forever hereafter, NOBODY can assert ANY kind of racial pride unless they they can prove that they chose their parents.

Which is precisely why some people profess "ghey pride," since they choose to be ghey. :D :D :D :eek: :pop:

SoonerAtKU
4/23/2010, 03:10 PM
So when are U.S. Cavalry uniforms going to be considered negative images and banned?

Signed,

Sitting Bull

As soon as national organizations sponsor parties where people dress up as cavalry soldiers and fake-slaughter other students dressed as Native Americans, I'll sign a petition saying that's a bad idea.

Frozen Sooner
4/23/2010, 03:31 PM
I hereby declare a moratorium on anyone whose racial group has been statutorily proclaimed as superior to another racial group by a state legislature bitching about anyone else ever celebrating pride in their racial/gender/social identity.

Jacie
4/23/2010, 03:54 PM
AEKDB, man.

Yeah, we weren't exactly among the elites as OU frats go in the early 70's but we had (and still have) that huge house with the largest yard of any other Greek there (we make a ton of money parking cars on game days!).

Cool to see the greeting on this board!

A.E.K.D.B.

Flagstaffsooner
4/23/2010, 05:24 PM
homey's anti Southern posts are becoming a bit boorish.

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 05:38 PM
homey's anti Confederate posts are becoming a bit boorish.

fixed it.

TUSooner
4/23/2010, 05:52 PM
What some of y'all don't understand is that Homey actually has sincere respect for many people who dedicated themselves to the "Glorious" Lost Cause. He just doesn't let that respect blind him to the fact that they were just plain wrong. SRSLY.

olevetonahill
4/23/2010, 05:54 PM
Dayum Yankees !

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 07:17 PM
What some of y'all don't understand is that Homey actually has sincere respect for many people who dedicated themselves to the "Glorious" Lost Cause. He just doesn't let that respect blind him to the fact that they were just plain wrong. SRSLY.

...and what really bugs him is knot-heads who wrap themselves in Confederate images and symbols in deliberate attempts to be controversial and to shove same up the rectums of black folks who absolutely have a right to be uncomfortable with said images.

That, and knuckle-head neo-cons (neo-Confederates that is) who espouse warped and revisionist versions of historical fact in an attempt to displace the documented and factual antecedents for the most destructive period in our nation's history.

War is hell. Trust me. I've been there. And the bunch who is culpable for bringing about America's most horrible, yet completely avoidable, war are those julip-swilling, slave-raping, in-bred slaveocrats who controlled the governments of the several slave states from their plantation verandas. F'em and their memories.

The common Confederate soldier however, deserves eternal respect and admiration for the hardships he endured and the personal sacrifices he was forced to make by the slaveocrats who led him to war.

delhalew
4/23/2010, 08:47 PM
...and what really bugs him is knot-heads who wrap themselves in Confederate images and symbols in deliberate attempts to be controversial and to shove same up the rectums of black folks who absolutely have a right to be uncomfortable with said images.

That, and knuckle-head neo-cons (neo-Confederates that is) who espouse warped and revisionist versions of historical fact in an attempt to displace the documented and factual antecedents for the most destructive period in our nation's history.

War is hell. Trust me. I've been there. And the bunch who is culpable for bringing about America's most horrible, yet completely avoidable, war are those julip-swilling, slave-raping, in-bred slaveocrats who controlled the governments of the several slave states from their plantation verandas. F'em and their memories.

The common Confederate soldier however, deserves eternal respect and admiration for the hardships he endured and the personal sacrifices he was forced to make by the slaveocrats who led him to war.

My question is how do you go from that, to saying don't display their flag or wear their uniform to honor them.

yankee
4/23/2010, 11:57 PM
AEKDB, man.

Ditto. A to B brother.

hell yes.

SoonerBorn68
4/24/2010, 01:40 AM

I had 5 ancestreal grandfathers fight for the South. All of them were privates. 2 of them endured the ultimate sacrifice. So when you talk about my heritage I take it personally. Your opinion on the subject as been noted ad nauseum.

Sicem, the well is too good for him, he'd just sour it.

SoonerBorn68
4/24/2010, 01:42 AM
My question is how do you go from that, to saying don't display their flag or wear their uniform to honor them.

You're not suppose to notice the back track or the hypocracy of that statement. Homey's always right when it comes to history. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
4/24/2010, 04:08 AM
You're not suppose to notice the back track or the hypocracy of that statement. Homey's always right when it comes to history. :rolleyes:

Having an incredible reservoir of "white guilt" doesn't hurt.

Okla-homey
4/24/2010, 08:03 AM

Easy. You can do a great deal to preserve their memories and to honor them without dressing up like them or flying their flags in public places. How about taking care of their cemeteries, battlefields and other historic places? Joining and supporting groups like the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT), a non-partisan 501(c) organization that has done more to preserve and protect the memory of the Confederate soldier in the last 20 years than the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), which is the leading flag waving bunch, has since its founding.

http://www.civilwar.org/

Support for their artifacts and the actual flags they carried in battle is a great way too. Join me in become a supporting member of the Museum of the Confederacy (MOC).

http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer

As to ad hominem attacks involving this issue? Nothing new. The made-up, revisionist controversy over the primary cause of the Civil War almost always ends up in the people who assert slavery was not the primary cause calling people who believe the war was first and foremost over slavery communists, n------lovers, race-traitors, or worse. I've heard, and been called all that over this issue before. But "well-sourer" is a new one. Spek on that one.

People. Please. Even this guy gets it.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/270725/april-13-2010/the-word---the-lost-cause

yermom
4/24/2010, 10:40 AM
i'm not sure you'll like the precedent of Colbert as a citation :D

i'm not sure how far off Nazi uniforms and flags would be from confederate ones. if you were German and your grandfather was a Nazi soldier just following orders doing his country's service, how would you acknowledge that?

Leroy Lizard
4/24/2010, 11:03 AM

i'm not sure how far off Nazi uniforms and flags would be from confederate ones. if you were German and your grandfather was a Nazi soldier just following orders doing his country's service, how would you acknowledge that?

And people wear Soviet styled stuff all the time and no one seems to care. Why is that?

Okla-homey
4/24/2010, 11:28 AM

Well, may I suggest, if you were a German, and you wished to honor your nation's soldiers, you would do by flying the modern German flag and supporting causes which help preserve their memory. You wouldn't do so by flying a nazi flag.

As to a "nazi soldier just following orders doing is country's service," well, Nuremberg pretty much shredded that as a viable defense.

I'm not equating Confederate soldiers to nazi soldiers. Not even close. Confederate political leadership however, is just as responsible for leading this country to a horrible and destructive war here on our continent as the Nazi political leadership was in embroiling Europe in WWII.
Moreover, Confederate political leadership continued said horrible destructive war long after it had become clear to anyone who was paying attention they could not win. Ditto the nazi political leadership. And that, in my mind, is a greater sin than starting it in the first place because it belies the fact they didn't care about their own people and their soldiers who were falling for no good purpose.

Leroy Lizard
4/24/2010, 11:42 AM
Well, may I suggest, if you were a German, and you wished to honor your nation's soldiers, you would do by flying the modern German flag and supporting causes which help preserve their memory. You wouldn't do so by flying a nazi flag.

As to a "nazi soldier just following orders doing is country's service," well, Nuremberg pretty much shredded that as a viable defense.

Nazi soldier? I'm not sure how many German soldiers belonged to the political party, but are we making that distinction?

Interestingly enough, Reagan did go to a cemetery in Germany to honor their war dead, and because some of the graves belonged to Waffen SS everyone howled. So how can these college students honor Confederate dead by taking care of the cemeteries?

Okla-homey
4/24/2010, 11:45 AM

No, but Colbert, who was born and raised in Charleston, SC, were I was educated and met my wife, nailed it.

I could go on for hours, but people who know me well, know the projects and causes I've been involved in to preserve historic places in the former Confederacy. Especially Morris Island, SC. Suffice to say, the darned SCV didn't give us a nickle or help a lick. They were too interested in spending their money and time losing the Confederate flag fight. We got it done without them.

Just the other day, a buddy sent me an email about his efforts to clean-up and preserve a cemetery filled with Confederate unknown soldiers near Bristol, VA. The so-called Sons of Confederate Veterans were a complete bust. They were too busy tilting at windmills trying to win political fights they lost long ago. I am proud that bunch of goons has now been banned from the property.

Here's what Silas wrote me:

...the Confederate unknown cemetery in Bristol, VA on E. State St. SCV, supposedly, had accepted responsibility for maintenance on it 20 years ago, but seemed to have forgotten about their commitment. When things were pointed out they showed up with coolers of beer and proceeded to have a party making a bigger mess. With that, I was able to get the outgoing City Manager (a decendent of JEB Stuart) to get SCV banned from the property. Several individuals from Parks and Rec and public Works have picked up the ball.

Here's a photo of the cemetery.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/e672503d930d143c5b94f93a4ad93572ce6.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
4/24/2010, 12:23 PM
Interestingly enough, Reagan did go to a cemetery in Germany to honor their war dead, and because some of the graves belonged to Waffen SS everyone howled.

wa6O0yFv1bE

:D

Okla-homey
4/24/2010, 01:55 PM
Interestingly enough, Reagan did go to a cemetery in Germany to honor their war dead, and because some of the graves belonged to Waffen SS everyone howled.

They should have howled and RR's people should have done their homework before scheduling the appearance.

The Waffen-SS was the paramilitary arm of the Schutzstaffel ("Protective Squadron") or SS, an organ of the Nazi Party. The Waffen-SS saw action throughout World War II and grew from three regiments to over 38 divisions, and served alongside the Wehrmacht Heer regular army, but was never formally part of it. It was Adolf Hitler's will that the Waffen-SS never be integrated into the army, it was to remain the armed wing of the Party and to become an elite police force once the war was won.

Leroy Lizard
4/24/2010, 10:26 PM
They should have howled and RR's people should have done their homework before scheduling the appearance.

The Waffen-SS was the paramilitary arm of the Schutzstaffel ("Protective Squadron") or SS, an organ of the Nazi Party. The Waffen-SS saw action throughout World War II and grew from three regiments to over 38 divisions, and served alongside the Wehrmacht Heer regular army, but was never formally part of it. It was Adolf Hitler's will that the Waffen-SS never be integrated into the army, it was to remain the armed wing of the Party and to become an elite police force once the war was won.

And you don't think a cemetery full of dead Confederates wouldn't have one or two slave owners in there?

So this notion that doing community work at the local cemetery would pacify the complainers is ridiculous.

Leroy Lizard
4/24/2010, 10:27 PM
wa6O0yFv1bE

:D

Okay, okay. Let me fix it:

Interestingly enough, Reagan did go to a cemetery in Germany to honor their war dead, and because some of the graves belonged to Waffen SS some went "1,2,3,4! Hay-ho! Hay-ho!"

Jacie
4/25/2010, 12:21 AM
Nazi soldier? I'm not sure how many German soldiers belonged to the political party . . .

There were about 1 million members of the Nazi Party. Germany had a pre-war population of about 61 million.

Leroy Lizard
4/25/2010, 01:16 AM
But soldiers were not even allowed to be members of the party until 1939. I can't see very many of them joining the party after that.