PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else get whapped by the McAfee false positive?

Flagstaffsooner
4/22/2010, 02:12 PM
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=8656

Man, I did. Thank heavens I have an old computer that I could download the fix to.

btk108
4/22/2010, 03:23 PM
you are infected.....they make penicillin for that, you know?:rolleyes:

Bourbon St Sooner
4/22/2010, 03:31 PM
My wife's work did. They were down most of the day yesterday.

aurorasooner
4/23/2010, 06:16 PM
Comment of the day taken off the "Tom's Hardware" website in response to the recent McAfee press release.

Mcafee Apologizes for Win XP Antivirus Meltdown ---

MISRy 04/23/2010 11:51 PM

Now they just need to apologize for their software.

I tried Mcafee for a couple of hours on a clean image when Comcast 1st offered it for free. Immediately after installing it, my software firewall was completely under attack with Mcafee outbounds calling home every 30 seconds or so. I chatted with a Mcafee CSR about this and he said, in no uncertain terms as though Mcafee had a complete monopoly on the anti-virus market, that if you use our product, you have have to give it unlimited access to the internet or it won't work. I said thx to him, hung up and immediately reinstalled my OS image with KAV.
I've been trying out Norton on one image along with Trend-Micro on another, and debating whether to re-up with KAV. I'm not so so sure any more that the best AV isn't just a browser with a selective 'script blocker in a Sandbox running behind a quality FW/HIPS, in an LUA anyway. Then if you feel better having some type of real-time protection perhaps something like the paid version of MalwareBytes.

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 07:32 PM
All my compadres whose opinions I respect on computer matters use "AVG" for virus control. The free version. That was good enough for me.