PDA

View Full Version : Golf - Titleist pro v1 worth buying?

landrun
4/21/2010, 12:48 PM
I really enjoy playing golf.

I shoot about 90 normally. I had gotten to where I shot in the low 80's but I really don't score that well any more.

I've thought about buying the Titleist pro v1 balls but they're $50.00 for a dozen. My questions is are they really worth it or am I paying for a name brand? I'd like to be able to get the ball to spin back with my wedges and my understanding it that you really need a 3 piece urethane ball (which the prov1 is) in order to do that. I just wonder if most players are good enough to see any difference and cut strokes off of their game by buying these expensive balls or do you need to be a scratch golfer in order for it to make any difference.

Has anyone ever played these (or the bridgstone etc... equivelants)?

Boomer.....
4/21/2010, 01:02 PM
IMHO, it doesn't matter what golf ball you play unless you are a pretty good golfer, say shooting in the 70's. Some balls may go farther, spin more, etc. but if you aren't hitting the ball correctly, it isn't going to matter much. I probably average mid-80's and just play whatever is in my bag. Could I be better with a better ball? I don't know, maybe but I think ball striking and accuracy shoud get better before worrying about that.

Harry and some other golf regulars might feel differently though.

TMcGee86
4/21/2010, 01:59 PM
ProV1's definitely go farther. The problem is if you are not accurate off the tee's they are difficult to control and the added length only gets you into more trouble.

I play them, but only when I know I'm hitting the ball well that day. Otherwise they are just easier to lose and I get that much more frustrated because of the cost.

But they do make a difference, no question.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/21/2010, 02:01 PM
I've got a lot of ProV1's, but I don't buy balls. All of my balls have been salvaged out of snake infested swamps.

For a hacker like me, the ball doesn't make a difference anyways.

salth2o
4/21/2010, 02:46 PM
At your current level of play, it is not advisable to spend the $$$ on the Pro-V1's. Unless you can control the spin and really shape shots, you are wasting money.

Go middle of the road and get a cheaper Titleist.

badger
4/21/2010, 03:12 PM
I've got a lot of ProV1's, but I don't buy balls. All of my balls have been salvaged out of snake infested swamps.

For a hacker like me, the ball doesn't make a difference anyways.

:D I used to do this when I was in Cross Country - savage golf balls while out running.

In any event, why don't just grant yourselves two dozen mulligans and bring two dozen cheap balls (you know, like little yellow or orange ones that only the kids like on mini-golf courses) along for the trip?

Condescending Sooner
4/21/2010, 03:29 PM
Try MG golf. You can order Urethane covered balls for $20.00 a dozen. I think the urethane cover does make a difference especially on short irons and chips. I have a fairly low handicap, but paying $45.00 a dozen for golf balls is something I just cannot do.

If you have a bad slice or otherwise spray your tee shots, stay away from urethane balls. They only magnify the problem with more spin.

SoonerNate
4/21/2010, 03:48 PM
If you shoot around 90, I suggest the Titleist NXT's. They are soft, spin well and much cheaper.

I love them and I shoot low to mid 80's.

TMcGee86
4/21/2010, 03:55 PM
heh, I was going to suggest the same thing, when I don't want to risk losing a ProV1, I play the NXT's and I love them. Much more forgiving and still a great ball.

GKeeper316
4/21/2010, 04:14 PM
dont be afraid to ask the pros at your local course.

and believe it or not, wilson golf balls are better than pro-v1s.

until you can shape your shots and control the amount of spin you put on the ball, you dont need to waste money on pro-v1s.

soonerinabilene
4/21/2010, 04:30 PM
they just came bacl out with SoLos, which i have always liked. personally i liked the srixon z series better than the pro v. they have the same feel around the green, but are more forgiving off the tee. when i shot in the 90s i used the nike juice 312s, and could s
pin those pretty well.

C&CDean
4/21/2010, 04:32 PM
It's fairly obvious to me that there's a bunch of goobers out there playing who think the prov1 is the answer because it is the #1 ball I find in the rough/ob/etc. Brand spanking new ones.

I don't really think they help much for hackers. I will also say that Top Flite balls suck. They're like hitting a ****ing rock. Hate em'.

One other problem I have with expensive soft balls is that my irons shave the hell out of them. I'll have little white hairballs from the grooves grating the ball.

GKeeper316
4/21/2010, 04:35 PM
It's fairly obvious to me that there's a bunch of goobers out there playing who think the prov1 is the answer because it is the #1 ball I find in the rough/ob/etc. Brand spanking new ones.

I don't really think they help much for hackers. I will also say that Top Flite balls suck. They're like hitting a ****ing rock. Hate em'.

One other problem I have with expensive soft balls is that my irons shave the hell out of them. I'll have little white hairballs from the grooves grating the ball.

what irons you hit?

C&CDean
4/21/2010, 04:39 PM
Adams. I can't recall the model (air assaults?), but they're about 10 years old or more. They must have square grooves, cause when I rip a good iron shot - especially with the more lofted clubs, it shaves the hell out of the ball.

btk108
4/21/2010, 06:15 PM
Those upper tier balls say in their advertisement that they are for better players. If you like the Titleist's, go with the NXT. I like those the best, if I find an Pro V or a Callway Tour i, I give them to someone who can use them. If your not stuck on Titleist, give the Bridgestones a try. They've invested alot of money into "fitting" balls to different players and skill levels. Good luck!

btk108
4/21/2010, 06:16 PM
OR ask Fadada...he's our resident golf pro here.

Turd_Ferguson
4/21/2010, 06:35 PM
I like them. Yes, I can push and pull the ball but that doesn't mean I don't lose them in the hazards. It's the only ball I have found that I can actually feel. Earlywine had them for 35 per dozen a few weeks ago.

Okla-homey
4/21/2010, 08:10 PM
I don't golf. Never have. Waste of prime pastureland IMHO. In fact, I refer to golf as "pasture pool." As in in field billiards.

But I shoot and hunt. And I suspect there is a similar phenomenon at work with golf balls as to the latest, hottest and most accurate ammunition.

In the end, you are either capable of hitting at what you aim or you aren't. I suspect golf is the same. I supect a PGA star could do about as well with the cheapest balls on the shelf at Wally-world as he could with the latest hotness in golf balls.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Sooner04
4/21/2010, 08:13 PM
But I shoot and hunt. And I suspect there is a similar phenomenon at work with golf balls as to the latest, hottest and most accurate ammunition.

In the end, you are either capable of hitting at what you aim or you aren't. I suspect golf is the same. I supect a PGA star could do about as well with the cheapest balls on the shelf at Wally-world as he could with the latest hotness in golf balls.

And that's all I got to say about that.
You are incorrect.

Soonerus
4/21/2010, 08:32 PM
You are incorrect.

Agree totally incorrect...

landrun
4/21/2010, 09:10 PM
... personally i liked the srixon z series better than the pro v....

Interesting. I just bought some Srixon Z Star balls today at our local golf shop. :D

Condescending Sooner >> Try MG golf. You can order Urethane covered balls for $20.00 a dozen.

Condescending have you played these? I bought some similar balls last summer. They were called Prospects. Just $16 from golfballs.com.

http://www.golfballs.com/PB1455/Volvik-ProsPect-Golf-Ball.html

I didn't really notice a difference in them from the Top Flight 5000 soft balls I was playing.

landrun
4/21/2010, 09:19 PM
I will also say that Top Flite balls suck. They're like hitting a ****ing rock. Hate em'.

The only ball I've really played over the last year has been the Top Flite XL 5000 SOFT. But I play the SOFT ones. I play them because I like the feel and *guessed* that they would spin more around the greens because they're soft. This particular Top Flite doesn't feel like a rock at all.

I *think* I have a slower swing speed than most and to the best of my understanding, should be playing a lower compression (softer??) ball.

But in the end, I really have no idea. :)

GKeeper316
4/21/2010, 10:27 PM
I *think* I have a slower swing speed than most and to the best of my understanding, should be playing a lower compression (softer??) ball.

sort of. depends on your shaft flex. you can have a slow swing speed and if you're swinging a club with the proper shaft flex, can still generate enough clubhead speed to need the softer ball.

misplaced_sooner
4/23/2010, 07:50 AM
www.lostgolfballs.com

Purchased 2 dozen prov1x, for 44 shipped. Google a coupon code. I purchased the 4A quality. They all look/play just fine.

IB4OU2
4/23/2010, 09:41 AM
If you shoot around 90, I suggest the Titleist NXT's. They are soft, spin well and much cheaper.

I love them and I shoot low to mid 80's.

If you shoot around 90, I suggest Bowling or Horseshoes...;)

GottaHavePride
4/23/2010, 09:59 AM
What do you suggest if a person shoots around 115 (with about a dozen balls lost in the water hazards) ?

;)

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 12:10 PM
What do you suggest if a person shoots around 115 (with about a dozen balls lost in the water hazards) ?

;)

golf lessons?

Okla-homey
4/23/2010, 12:12 PM
You are incorrect.

Do you mean to tell me a PGA tour guy couldn't beat you while playing the cheapest balls at Wal-Mart?

GottaHavePride
4/23/2010, 03:29 PM
Do you mean to tell me a PGA tour guy couldn't beat you while playing the cheapest balls at Wal-Mart?

That probably IS true, but the contention that said PGA star would play as well with El Cheapo balls as with pro quality balls probably isn't. With the cheap balls the pro wouldn't be able to drive as far or control the spin of his shots as well, leading to a lack of distance and precision compared to the expensive ammo. ;)

And yeah, lessons would probably help. Heh.

IB4OU2
4/23/2010, 04:00 PM

;)

If it was me I'd take up playing the Cello or Saxophone. :D

salth2o
4/23/2010, 04:31 PM

I read that way too fast and thought you said you shave your balls. :eek:

Sooner04
4/25/2010, 09:51 PM
Obviously not.

The advances in golf ball technology over the last ten years is incredible. They now make a ball softer than the old balata that goes miles farther (and straighter) than the old Top Flite XL. The golf ball, not the humongous driver or super-deep grooves, is the #1 technological advancement that irks the older generation of golfer who hates seeing classic tracks like Merion become obsolete.

BTW I just bought myself a box of these babies to test:

http://www.golfdiscountsuperstore.com/golf/assets/product_images/PAAAAAIHLKOCIDIC.jpg

Mjcpr
4/26/2010, 08:39 AM
Why would you buy yellow golf balls? :confused:

Sooner04
4/26/2010, 11:03 AM
Why would you buy yellow golf balls? :confused:This is Srixon's tour ball, they just made it yellow. I could give you a long, thought out reply about the new technology associated with the color of the ball that's actually pretty cool.

But you got a free hat for buying a dozen, so that's actually why I did it.

:)

Mjcpr
4/26/2010, 11:07 AM
So the guys playing it on tour will be playing the yellow ball too??? That'll be different.

Boomer.....
4/26/2010, 11:19 AM
Or maybe the two color Ping balls.

TMcGee86
4/26/2010, 12:31 PM
So the guys playing it on tour will be playing the yellow ball too??? That'll be different.

some already do. I noticed in the masters. Kinda cool, bringing back the yellow ball.

Supposedly Srixon did a study and found that they are some percentage worth easier to track with the eye than a white ball. I think it was like 25%.

btk108
4/26/2010, 03:52 PM
sort of. depends on your shaft flex. you can have a slow swing speed and if you're swinging a club with the proper shaft flex, can still generate enough clubhead speed to need the softer ball.

That's what she said.....