PDA

View Full Version : Surprise...Bush settles!

Collier11
4/21/2010, 12:48 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-bushcase042110

sooner59
4/21/2010, 01:05 AM
Shocked face!

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 05:04 AM
So the Sooners get the championship after all?

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 05:42 AM
I just tried to find this story on CNN and FOXnews but nothing. I don't get it. It seems like this would be a 'top' story on all sports news. Especially since wins could potentially be taken away from SUC.

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 05:42 AM
I just tried to find this story on CNN and FOXnews but nothing. I don't get it. It seems like this would be a 'top' story on all sports news. Especially since wins could potentially be taken away from SUC.

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 05:45 AM
I just tried to find this story on CNN and FOXnews and nothing. I don't get it. It seems like this would be a 'top' story seeing how SUC might have to give up wins.

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 05:54 AM
I just tried to find this story on CNN and FOXnews and nothing. I don't get it. It seems like this would be a 'top' story seeing how SUC might have to give up wins.

oumartin
4/21/2010, 07:37 AM

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 08:00 AM
I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

Alrighty then. Didn't actually submit all of those. So'kay

olevetonahill
4/21/2010, 08:12 AM
I bet yer puter didnt werk jes right and ya hit refresh and it said ya had ta resend 1st huh ?

olevetonahill
4/21/2010, 08:14 AM
And Sarge , Going by the time stamp of yer posts. Thats about the time of mornin that this place starts acting all HornFans and shat.

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 08:22 AM
And Sarge , Going by the time stamp of yer posts. Thats about the time of mornin that this place starts acting all HornFans and shat.

:) Yea bro. I thought something was wrong so I just closed my browser and connected again. And it still didn't show up. So yea.

But are we gonna get that championship in this case or what?

olevetonahill
4/21/2010, 08:29 AM
I may not be very smart but Im pretty dayum wise :D

Hell at this point I dont care and as Most have said here I dont want it .

I want to see the Team Kick *** and earn it .

badger
4/21/2010, 08:38 AM
By settling, is Bush admitting guilt, or is he just avoiding court?

Seriously, I think this case will just die without any NCAA action. It has gone on for too long, and if SC sucks this year (and gawd hoping they do), it won't be a priority for the rest of us to see SC fall at the NCAA's hands, because they'll be falling at Mike Stoops' hands instead.

Jacie
4/21/2010, 08:45 AM
I don't give a rats a** about New Era Sports or any monies Bush owes/pays them.

The University of S***ing Cal is the entity I want to see held to something resembling the standard the other 119 schools must adhere to in order to be members in good standing of the FBS.

olevetonahill
4/21/2010, 09:30 AM
By settling, is Bush admitting guilt, or is he just avoiding court?

Seriously, I think this case will just die without any NCAA action. It has gone on for too long, and if SC sucks this year (and gawd hoping they do), it won't be a priority for the rest of us to see SC fall at the NCAA's hands, because they'll be falling at Mike Stoops' hands instead.

By settling I dont think he's Legally admitting anything. Just sayin he doesn't want to take his chances in a civil court.

Now as far as the N.C.A.A. is concerned who the **** knows what they will do.

Personally I'd like to see em get the Big swift kick in the *** by the ncaa AND Mike :D

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 10:34 AM
I may not be very smart but Im pretty dayum wise :D

Hell at this point I dont care and as Most have said here I dont want it .

I want to see the Team Kick *** and earn it .

I definitely see your point.

However I believe that Sooner squad played their butts off that year plus put in alot of hard work that whole year. And if SUC was in a sense violating player eligibility well that means, to me, they cheated. So in thinking that way I believe the Sooners did earn it. Just my .02 But like I said I also see where you are coming from as well.

KantoSooner
4/21/2010, 10:47 AM
This is interesting. A settled case means no testimony, but implies at least some truth in the allegations. So, now the NCAA has to come to grips with at the very least a slight strengthening of the case against USC....but no additional evidence.
We'll get a chance to see if they have even a pretension of honesty and fairness/impartiality.
My bet? They have neither and the issue is allowed to die.

SGT Park3R
4/21/2010, 11:13 AM
This is interesting. A settled case means no testimony, but implies at least some truth in the allegations. So, now the NCAA has to come to grips with at the very least a slight strengthening of the case against USC....but no additional evidence.
We'll get a chance to see if they have even a pretension of honesty and fairness/impartiality.

Unfortunately.

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 11:17 AM
You mean that since he has settled that there is NO way he testifies against USC???? At all? ****! ****!****! Anything to get those slippery bastards off the hook....I wonder how much USC paid Bush to repay that money?

KantoSooner
4/21/2010, 11:23 AM
There might be another way, but I don't see him being compelled to do so. This legal case is over and the NCAA has no real hold on Bush now that he's gone from the college ranks.
I suppose if he wanted to testify against USC he could.

soonerfan28
4/21/2010, 11:26 AM
Any chance we can get the Auburn team and the OU team from then to get back together to play 1 more game and settle who should be the national champs.

TahoeSOONER
4/21/2010, 11:29 AM
"This marks the second settlement by Bush with a New Era Sports founder in the past three years. In April 2007, Bush ended a civil suit brought by Lake’s former New Era Sports partner, Michael Michaels, settling for between $200,000 and $300,000."

If this doesn't convince the NCAA to act I don't know what will. Would you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars TWICE in three years? The dude took big $$$$. That settlement is basically a green light for the NCAA to punish. What kind of governing body would they be showing if people continue to try and exploit young athlete's for money? **** poor all around.

Flagstaffsooner
4/21/2010, 11:44 AM
Any chance we can get the Auburn team and the OU team from then to get back together to play 1 more game and settle who should be the national champs.

Flag Football!

oumartin
4/21/2010, 11:50 AM
um, I thought the NCAA investigation with USC was already over and they are just waiting on the ruling. Guess I was wrong

goingoneight
4/21/2010, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=]USC could face further NCAA sanctions and Bush’s 2005 Heisman Trophy could be in jeopardy. The Heisman ballot indicates that an athlete must meet NCAA eligibility requirements to be considered for college football’s most prestigious award.[/QUOTE}

VINCE YOUNG: 2005 HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER*

*sorta.

BudSooner
4/21/2010, 12:16 PM
um, I thought the NCAA investigation with USC was already over and they are just waiting on the ruling. Guess I was wrong

As long as they are dragging out the ruling, I guess alot of people forgot about it..count me as one who did.

Btw, when is the ruling supposed to happen? Didn't they end the case back on February 15th?:confused:

oumartin
4/21/2010, 01:23 PM
Not sure when they met with the NCAA(but it was within the last couple months) but while they were interested in interviewing Bush it may or may not have much affect on any punishment handed down. but I could be wrong

Collier11
4/21/2010, 01:25 PM
The ncaa ruling will come down soon, I think they were waiting to see what happens here before releasing their findings. With him settling, if all things are fair they can assume that something bad happened and atleast knock them a little bit over it, we will see though

BillyBall
4/21/2010, 01:51 PM
So the Sooners get the championship after all?

Bama is already claiming it.

KantoSooner
4/21/2010, 02:07 PM
Let 'em keep the championship, I just want SC to lose lots of schollies for a long time.

Hmmm, like maybe lose ten for ten years. That'd just about put 'finished' to their football program.

And, at the end of the day, isn't that really want we'd all want?

SoCal
4/21/2010, 03:17 PM

SAN DIEGO -- It appears Reggie Bush has reached an out-of-court settlement with a fledgling sports marketer who is trying to recoup nearly $300,000 in cash and gifts the star running back and his family allegedly accepted while he was playing at the University of Southern California.

Bush
Depositions involving the two former marketers who wooed Bush while he was at USC have been called off, attorney Brian Watkins told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Asked if Bush was still scheduled to be deposed on Friday, Watkins said: "I have no comment."

Settlement documents could be filed in court within days.

A settlement could stymie the NCAA and Pacific-10 Conference investigators, who are trying to determine whether Bush and his parents took improper benefits. Bush has not met with NCAA and Pac-10 investigators, and has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

If Bush is found retroactively ineligible, he could lose his 2005 Heisman Trophy.

If the NCAA determines that USC violated rules, the football program could have to forfeit victories from those seasons -- when the Trojans won a national championship and lost in the BCS title game against Texas -- and face additional penalties.

Watkins represents Lloyd Lake in his lawsuit against Bush.

Lake's scheduled deposition Monday did not occur, said Watkins, who declined to provide a reason.

Lake's former partner, Michael Michaels, was scheduled to be deposed Wednesday.

"It will not go through," Watkins said.

A call to Bush's attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, was not immediately returned.

Lake and Michaels were trying to attract Bush as a client for their marketing firm, New Era. Bush did not sign with New Era.

Michaels owned a San Diego-area house where Bush's parents allegedly lived rent-free. Michaels reached an out-of-court settlement with Bush's family in April 2007 that included a confidentiality agreement.

In late December, Bush lost his bid to go to confidential arbitration to settle Lake's lawsuit.

Referring to Michaels' settlement with Bush, Watkins told the AP last week: "Basically Reggie Bush bought his silence for $300,000, so he was unable to speak to the media, and, of course, cooperate with the NCAA."

Watkins tried to take Bush's deposition in February 2008, but said the running back didn't show up.

A few weeks earlier, Watkins and Lake walked out of a deposition, saying that a bodyguard for Bush's attorney at the time, David Cornwell, opened his jacket to expose a pistol.

Yahoo! Sports first reported news of a settlement in the Lake case.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Mile High Sooner
4/21/2010, 07:26 PM
Let 'em keep the championship, I just want SC to lose lots of schollies for a long time.

Hmmm, like maybe lose ten for ten years. That'd just about put 'finished' to their football program.

Well... to paraphrase a line from the Steve McQueen movie "Sand Pebbles"

Strip 'em ! ! !
Strip 'em ! ! !
Strip 'em ! ! !

Take the wins,
Take the Heisman,
Take the schollies.

:pop:

icmwhOU72
4/21/2010, 07:49 PM
I am not sure but i think the problem is that bush never admitted guilt to taking that money so therefore the ncaa can not rule him ineligible because they have no "hard" evidence. and per the article, the new era boys arent going to say any more about it. Its not that i want us to have the championship, its that i want them to get the same punishment any other school would get. we lost victories over a couple thousand dollars. bush took hundreds of thousands of dollars and ou has a bad rap on our compliance for not catching stuff and then turning ourselves in. moral of the story: keep your mouth shut and dont report anything.

AlbqSooner
4/21/2010, 07:50 PM
A settlement does not even imply any wrongdoing. People settle claims all the time because the settlement takes the risk of a goofy jury out of the equation, AND because the attorney fees and costs of going to trial might well exceed whatever settlement cost there were. Almost every settlement agreement that I have seen has language to the effect that the Defendant does not admit any culpability, liability or guilt by entering into the settlement agreement, and specifically denies such.

My understanding of the NCAA situation is that they really don't have much since USC and Bush have both refused to cooperate with the investigation. They were waiting until the depositions were taken so that they could then obtain transcripts of that sworn testimony to use in their investigation. That is no longer an option.

It seems that, as long as the settlement is concluded, the Fat Lady is singing.

Collier11
4/21/2010, 08:09 PM
yea but this wasnt a criminal type case ALB, they say he owed them money that he accepted in college and then went back on a business deal, isnt that different?

Leroy Lizard
4/21/2010, 09:07 PM
The NCAA is in a real conundrum. They have to do SOMETHING to USC, or everyone but USC fans and ESPN will howl. But they open themselves to lawsuits if they do too much.

BoulderSooner79
4/21/2010, 09:54 PM
The NCAA is in a real conundrum. They have to do SOMETHING to USC, or everyone but USC fans and ESPN will howl. But they open themselves to lawsuits if they do too much.

On the flip side, they are broadcasting the fact that if you self report and co-operate, you get instant punishment. If you refuse to talk and drag your heels, you go scott free. Do the math.

prrriiide
4/21/2010, 10:35 PM
How much ya wanna bet Bush has a new $300,000K endorsement in a couple of months? Courtesy of some rich USC alum/businessman...

A fine example of a rich school waving their collective privates at the NCAA.

Scott D
4/22/2010, 12:36 PM

Hiring Lane Kiffin to replace Petey should be the cherry on the top to the 'finished' part of things.

USC fan already turned on Bush long ago. The settlement is only an admission of guilt in the court of public opinion which has no sway over anything.

At this stage, even if the NCAA finds enough info on Bush, the situation with him is just basically a case of whether or not USC would get hit with the same Lack of Institutional Control ruler that we got hit with for the football issues coming on the heels of Kelvingate. Since the information in the OJ Mayo stuff is pretty cut and dried and NCAA testified.

SoonerInLubbock
4/22/2010, 12:46 PM

Collin Cowherd mentioned this yesterday on his show. He was shocked that it was being buried by other stories. Say what you want about Cowherd (im not his biggest fan btw). But at least somebody at ESPN is talking about this.